http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:22:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the DS a RPG machine?  (Read 2857 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:45:14 PM »

By that I mean is it an adult friendly type RPG machine. Im sick of cute little child type Japan rpgs. I love ones like Crysis Core, FF, Landstalker...anything like that.

I see that someone I cant recall now has the DS for $129. Im thinking maybe X-mas gift. I just got so tired of the kiddy type Nintendo stuff. I also was'nt happy that my SP had a headphone jack that forced me to buy one from the big N...hence I never had a pair. (Headphones ya palluckas)

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
KC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »

Isn't $129 the MSRP for the DS?  Around Xmas, you will find a lot of deals that include a free game or case or accessory kit. 

As to your question about RPGs, I would say that generally only the character graphics are kiddie, while the stories can have more grown up themes.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »

Yeah it is. The amount of great RPGs we've been getting is crazy. Sometimes i wish I could play this via the wii or something. I can sit and play handhelds for hours because my hands begin to get sore. Make that happen nintendo, at least give me a reason to turn on my wii.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 06:58:04 PM »

Quote from: KC on July 30, 2008, 06:51:00 PM

As to your question about RPGs, I would say that generally only the character graphics are kiddie, while the stories can have more grown up themes.

That sums it up pretty well. 

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:05:44 PM »

I love the DS, and have played quite a few RPG that are great,
but I don't think you're going to like it Daehawk. I'd suggest
seeing if you can't borrow one from somebody.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:13:14 PM »

Can you give examples of some DS RPGs with grown up themes?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:34:09 PM »

Sorry meant DS LITE is $129. I love my PSP more than any other handheld but games I like are becoming scarce on it.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 30, 2008, 07:34:09 PM

Sorry meant DS LITE is $129. I love my PSP more than any other handheld but games I like are becoming scarce on it.

The DS Lite has always had a MSRP of $129.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
KC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:37:44 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 30, 2008, 07:13:14 PM

Can you give examples of some DS RPGs with grown up themes?

What I was trying to say is that the DS has more than Pokemon and Mario type RPGs. 

For instance, FF4 has a story about good and evil and betrayal. 

The Fire Emblem games (I know that they are GBA games, but they can be played on a DS) has the permanent death mechanic. 

Disgaea is coming out soon and it is definitely not kiddie.

Puzzle Quest has a a western style RPG story.

The World Ends with You is supposed to have a non-stereotypical story.

Luminous Arc features a relationship between a male human and a witch.

I'm sure that there are others, but the point is that the stories are not all kiddie stories.

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 07:45:19 AM »

So what's the closest thing to Oblivion for the DS? Single-member party (don't like dealing with groups), lots of exploration? Anything like that? I'm not really into the Japanese style RPGs.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:32:19 AM »

Quote from: Old Negus on July 31, 2008, 07:45:19 AM

So what's the closest thing to Oblivion for the DS? Single-member party (don't like dealing with groups), lots of exploration? Anything like that? I'm not really into the Japanese style RPGs.

Nothing comes to mind that would fit that bill.  There aren't really any western style RPG's available, and the only single-player one I can think of is the port of the cell phone game Orcs & Elves.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »

Best Buy just had a promotion selling a DS Lite + Brain Age 2 for $129. That's how I got mine last week, not sure if they still have it smile

Being new to the system, I would really like to hear some RPG suggestions. I heard a gazillion times how many good games are available for DS, but no specifics.

The one game I do have (FFTA2) is AWESOME though. If you liked FFT on PSP (or PS1), you HAVE to buy the DS if even it's for this one game only. smile Yes, as mentioned above, the characters are kiddie and the story is pretty lighthearted, but the gameplay is deep and very enjoyable.

I wonder why N insists on using kids as main characters for games like this. FFTA2 is clearly not for kids to play, it's way too complicated. What a strange fixation.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »

Quote from: KC on July 31, 2008, 12:37:44 AM

I REALLY wanted to like this game but I just couldn't get past the "hip" dialog to play more than a couple of hours of it. I'm sure I'm missing out on the gameplay but I cannot stand that dialog style.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 02:19:44 PM »

Etrian Odyssey is definitely not for kids because of its difficulty level, but it is also EXTREMELY light on story. So if you want a hard RPG and don't really care about the story then you could pick up EO 1 or 2.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on July 31, 2008, 02:19:08 PM

Quote from: KC on July 31, 2008, 12:37:44 AM

I REALLY wanted to like this game but I just couldn't get past the "hip" dialog to play more than a couple of hours of it. I'm sure I'm missing out on the gameplay but I cannot stand that dialog style.

Same here, the dialog and characters made it unplayable.  The combat was also far too hectic for my tastes.   I was bummed, as I'd heard so many great things about it.

The one game I do have (FFTA2) is AWESOME though. If you liked FFT on PSP (or PS1), you HAVE to buy the DS if even it's for this one game only.  Yes, as mentioned above, the characters are kiddie and the story is pretty lighthearted, but the gameplay is deep and very enjoyable.

Seconded.  Once you get past some of the the subtle changes they made from previous versions, I think the gameplay in FFTA2 might be the best in the series.  I haven't paid any attention to the story at all (it's so minimal, it's practically transparent), so it hasn't bothered me.  Reminds me that I really need to finish this one before I get too involved in FF IV.

Being new to the system, I would really like to hear some RPG suggestions. I heard a gazillion times how many good games are available for DS, but no specifics.

The new port of FFIV is really good, and FFIII is OK.  The Mario & Luigi RPG is supposed to be great, although I haven't tried it.  Etrian Odyssey is fun, but possibly the hardest RPG I've ever played.   I'd recommend at least trying The World Ends With You.  It didn't click with me personally, but I've talked to lots of people who say it's one of the best RPG's they've ever played.  The Summon Knight games are pretty fun, if a bit brainless.  I didn't care much for FF:  Crystal Chronicles, but it got pretty good reviews and feedback.

There's also a ton of good stuff on the horizon.  Dragon Quest IX and Chrono Trigger will be must haves, and there are also DS versions of Disciples and Disgaea in the works.  I know there's a few others I'm missing, but I'm sure Eddie will be along shortly to fill in the gaps.  smile
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:43:49 PM by Gratch » Logged

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 03:17:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 31, 2008, 02:34:34 PM

The Mario & Luigi RPG is supposed to be great, although I haven't tried it.

I loved this one and recommend it to RPGers and/or Mario fans. It only took about 20-22 hours to finish it up.

Etrian Odyssey is fun, but possibly the hardest RPG I've ever played.

Farscry is working through this one now and should be able to pop in here to sing his praises about it.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 03:23:03 PM »

Gratch, you are the best, thanks a lot! I've emailed your post to myself for later use smile
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 03:49:01 PM »

Mazes of Fate DS and Black Sigil are both coming up later this year.  MoF was out on the GBA to middling reviews, but supposedly they are improving it for the DS (trailer).  Black Sigil is a Chrono Trigger rip off but looks like it could be pretty good. (trailer).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:51:23 PM by kathode » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:42 PM »

Quote from: kathode on July 31, 2008, 03:49:01 PM

Mazes of Fate DS and Black Sigil are both coming up later this year.  MoF was out on the GBA to middling reviews, but supposedly they are improving it for the DS (trailer).  Black Sigil is a Chrono Trigger rip off but looks like it could be pretty good. (trailer).

Both look to be quite good. And there's nothing wrong with a CT rip off - it looks like an enjoyable SNES level RPG based on the preview. I'll gladly take more of that.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 05:15:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 31, 2008, 11:32:19 AM

Nothing comes to mind that would fit that bill.  There aren't really any western style RPG's available, and the only single-player one I can think of is the port of the cell phone game Orcs & Elves.

Thanks, Gratch. I may try Orcs & Elves. It looks closest to what I'm going for. But it also looks quite short and without a whole lot of exploration. I also came across Contact which looks pretty interesting (though also pretty short).

I'm very surprised there's no Fallout or Oblivion type of game on the DS. Maybe the cartridge size makes that impossible. What I wouldn't give for a Fallout port...

[update] Well, I just ordered Contact from Amazon. It looks like it'll fit the bill well enough, and it was only $15. Sweet.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:30:23 PM by Old Negus » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 01:31:26 AM »

Quote from: Old Negus on July 31, 2008, 05:15:01 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 31, 2008, 11:32:19 AM

Thanks, Gratch. I may try Orcs & Elves. It looks closest to what I'm going for. But it also looks quite short and without a whole lot of exploration. I also came across Contact which looks pretty interesting (though also pretty short).

I'm very surprised there's no Fallout or Oblivion type of game on the DS. Maybe the cartridge size makes that impossible. What I wouldn't give for a Fallout port...

[update] Well, I just ordered Contact from Amazon. It looks like it'll fit the bill well enough, and it was only $15. Sweet.

Orcs & Elves was a fun cell phone game, and I've heard they didn't change much for the DS version.  Good that the gameplay is the same, but bad that they didn't update any of the graphics.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 05:58:19 AM »

Orcs & Elves is fun, but it's a simple dungeon crawler and only took me about 9 hours to finish.  As for more adult RPGs coming up, there's ASH, Lock's Quest (which is a combo action-RPG, base defense game), Valkyrie Profile : The Accused One, and World Destruction.  There are also several others which could qualify, based on your own tastes.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 07:25:16 AM »

Puzzle Quest!

Best $20 I've ever spent, since this is the only thing my DS is used for currently.

Gonna eat your face
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 09:56:22 PM »

I looked at them in Wal-Mart today. They have them in about 6 different colors. The demo model confirmed a worry i had in mind about the DS...the touch screen was really scuffed and cloudy hard to see well from all the use. Im guessing a good Hori screen protector would solve that though?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 10:21:44 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 02, 2008, 09:56:22 PM

Im guessing a good Hori screen protector would solve that though?

Definitely. Hori is the best.
Unless you're really tough with the stylus pressure-wise,
I wouldn't consider a protector a necessity. Definitely a good idea,
though, if you plan to play any stylus-heavy games such as Elite Beat Agents,
Ninja Gaiden, or Zelda.

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 02:32:50 AM »

Yeah, get a good screen protector. Even without one it most likely wouldn't end up like the abused floor models. You don't have to full on push the screen to make it work as customers do on those things.

The Myoclonic Jerk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 08:45:59 PM »

Our DS (original) can get a bit grimy, but a polyester/nylon cleaning cloth takes care of that pretty easily. As long as you don't play the thing directly after chowing down on Burger King, I can't imagine a screen protector being a necessity. (And I'm an obsessive-compulsive glasses-wearer.)

Formerly known as Sudy Nym.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 10:12:07 PM »

Quote from: The Myoclonic Jerk on August 03, 2008, 08:45:59 PM

Our DS (original) can get a bit grimy, but a polyester/nylon cleaning cloth takes care of that pretty easily. As long as you don't play the thing directly after chowing down on Burger King, I can't imagine a screen protector being a necessity. (And I'm an obsessive-compulsive glasses-wearer.)

It's more to prevent scratches than to keep it clean.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 12:42:59 AM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on July 31, 2008, 03:17:31 PM

The Mario & Luigi RPG is supposed to be great, although I haven't tried it.

I loved this one and recommend it to RPGers and/or Mario fans. It only took about 20-22 hours to finish it up.

Seconded.  I am not a Mario fan, but I really enjoy the Mario RPG games, including "Partners in Time"
The Myoclonic Jerk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 04:28:14 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 03, 2008, 10:12:07 PM

Quote from: The Myoclonic Jerk on August 03, 2008, 08:45:59 PM

It's more to prevent scratches than to keep it clean.

I can appreciate that. I can't think of any scratches on my unit that I find noticeable while the unit is on, though. But I suppose there are some games I don't own that put a lot more stress on the screen.

Formerly known as Sudy Nym.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 04:42:16 PM »

Yeah, display models are used and abused so much that you shouldn't even worry about how those look.  Unless you're using a knife as a stylus, you won't have to worry about it getting that bad.

FYI, I played The World Ends With You with a knitting needle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: