http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:12:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the 360 worth buying?  (Read 1240 times)
Macman777
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2006, 08:39:29 PM »

Ok, be honest. Is the 360 worth the purchase? I am interested in only GRAW, The Outfit and Blazing Angels. Is the system worth it for only those 3 titles?

Thanks for any input.

Now Playing:

Xbox 360
The Elder Scrolls IV
GRAW
The Outfit
BF2: MC

Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts 2

PC
DDO
BF 2
RO - Ostfront 41 - 45
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 08:52:28 PM »

Well I wanted one bad enough I had Purge buy one in Canada and ship it to me!

Of course I am banking on future releases.  I got it to play Oblivion and I hope that by the time I am done there are more games I want to play.   It sounds like you might be in the same boat - hoping to enjoy a couple games now and have others in the future.

I find it worth it but I am a video game junkie.

Macman777
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 08:55:38 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Well I wanted one bad enough I had Purge buy one in Canada and ship it to me!

Of course I am banking on future releases.  I got it to play Oblivion and I hope that by the time I am done there are more games I want to play.   It sounds like you might be in the same boat - hoping to enjoy a couple games now and have others in the future.

I find it worth it but I am a video game junkie.

Yah, I am very interested in buying one. But atm I see only a few games I really want. How is the system as a DVD player? Plus hoping after E3 we will be seeing a bunch of new great games coming out.

Now Playing:

Xbox 360
The Elder Scrolls IV
GRAW
The Outfit

Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts 2

PC
DDO
BF 2
RO - Ostfront 41 - 45
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 09:01:59 PM »

Quote from: "Macman777"
Ok, be honest. Is the 360 worth the purchase? I am interested in only GRAW, The Outfit and Blazing Angels.

GRAW is great, Outfit is meh, and Blazing Angels looks like a mess from the demo.... but you should buy a 360 anyways.  It really is a smartly designed console with the Marketplace functionality alone making it a 'must have' system.  There's plenty of other good games out there as well besides the ones you've mentioned.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 09:22:40 PM »

Even the meh ones are good, which is more than I can say for the PS2 / Xbox1 launch titles.

There are some terrific games man. Fight Night 3 has it's charm (but it ain't a 9.5 no matter what anyone says) Kameo is fun, PDZ is also a great game.

I'm even having fun with Amped 3 despite the extra layer of cheese and no live multiplayer... it's funny; the manual seems to indicate it was supposed to have it... I think it got dropped to be a release title which is really too bad.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 09:45:06 PM »

My opinion, no.

I'm getting tired of hearing "GRAW" because I keep forgetting what it stands for, but as far as I know isn't it for PC also?

And the Outfit and Blazing Angels you could find PC clones of those titles anyday.

But if you're interested in others like Gears of War, Rumble Roses XX (which guy isn't?), and the inevitable Halo 3, then it might be worth it.
I personally play my PC (which is a low-end sempron 2ghz) about 85% of the time, and my 360 the other 15%.
There aren't any killer games out for the 360 yet (IMO) and the new games are coming in as slow as they are for the PSP.

If you have money growing in your backyard, then yeah, go ahead and buy a 360. It's the best console out right now without a doubt, but if you're on a budget like a lot of us are, you might want to hold off for a while until the 360 library builds up more.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Quote from: "Macman777"
Ok, be honest. Is the 360 worth the purchase? I am interested in only GRAW, The Outfit and Blazing Angels.

GRAW is great, Outfit is meh, and Blazing Angels looks like a mess from the demo.... but you should buy a 360 anyways.  It really is a smartly designed console with the Marketplace functionality alone making it a 'must have' system.  There's plenty of other good games out there as well besides the ones you've mentioned.

sweet mother of god, every time i see your avatar Dimmona, i feel like i'm being hypnotized....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 10:33:52 PM »

I just bought mine, and I would say without a doubt yes - if you have a high def tv and good sound system.  The graphics in some of the 360 games are nothing short of amazing.  I have a high powered PC also, on a 20 inch widescreen monitor, but it doesn't come close to giving the same sense of awe I get from GRAW or Burnout Revenge or Fight Night Round 3 on my 46" high def tv and 5.1 sound.  I'm hoping Oblivion will invoke a similar response.

Now if you're talking about buying a 360 without a high def tv, or sound system - don't bother.  As far as I'm concerned the system was designed for those things, and hooking a 360 up to your 27" standard TV means you're only getting 50% of the experience.  Better off sticking with an xbox.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 11:47:19 PM »

Based on the titles currently available, I'd say no.  Unless you're dead set on one of the exclusives, I don't know that it would be worth the purchase.  Ask me again after the library has had a year or so to grow, and my answer may change.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 12:22:23 AM »

If the PS3 will play PS1 and PS2 games as also...might as well wait.

400 (conservatively) bucks for a few titles seems...silly.  imho
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 12:32:24 AM »

Quote from: "Rowdy"
Now if you're talking about buying a 360 without a high def tv, or sound system - don't bother.  As far as I'm concerned the system was designed for those things, and hooking a 360 up to your 27" standard TV means you're only getting 50% of the experience.  Better off sticking with an xbox.

as someone enjoying the hell out of his 360 on a 25" standard-def TV, i have to strongly disagree with this statement.  does it look better in HD?  sure it does...but it still looks damn good in SD, and that doesn't take a thing away from the fantastic gameplay Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 12:33:50 AM »

Personally the 360 has rekindled my love of gaming. Before buying it I played a little WoW on the PC and only used my Xbox for Madden/NFL 2K5.  My PS2 and Gamecube hadn't been touched for months and I was very much in a gaming lull.  I think getting the 360 and an LCD TV at the same time may have something to do with it, but I have enjoyed every 360 game I have played except for Madden.  I have played CoD2, GRAW, NBA 2K6, FN Rnd 3, Oblivion, Geomety Wars, Smash TV and The Outfit.  
I picked up the Outfit because I enjoyed the demo.  I wasn’t expecting much, but I love it.  I like the Outfit because it is the first 360 game I've played that is unique to the 360.  If you play it strictly as a 3rd person shooter the game isn't that great. But if you play it as a strategy game with a shooter mixed in, the game is tons of fun. In single player the graphics are quite good in my opinion. And team based multiplayer is great if you play with people you know.

In summary I guess I would wholeheartedly recommend buying the 360.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Macman777
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 01:46:44 AM »

Well I broke down and bought one this afternoon. Got the one year ext and The Outfit. I will be hooking it up and playing it tonight. Thank you all for your input.....

Now Playing:

Xbox 360
The Elder Scrolls IV
GRAW
The Outfit

Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts 2

PC
DDO
BF 2
RO - Ostfront 41 - 45
depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 02:35:34 AM »

Glad to hear it Mac!  Seriously, before getting a 360, I was in the camp of, "It's not worth it."  Then a great deal happened to go down where my brother and I obtained one.  And it's been WELL worth it.

The Live interface is awesome, great games, Live Arcade, yummy.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 09:52:13 PM »

as someone enjoying the hell out of his 360 on a 25" standard-def TV, i have to strongly disagree with this statement. does it look better in HD? sure it does...but it still looks damn good in SD, and that doesn't take a thing away from the fantastic gameplay  

I didn't say it wouldn't look good - but does it fully utilize the potential of the system?  Hell no.  Like I said, you're getting half the experience.  You paid twice as much as a standard xbox for a slight upgrade in graphics.  Now if you have the money for that, then great, np.  But in terms of 'bang for the buck' which is what the original question was, you're not getting much.  Gameplay is irrelevant, since most 360 games have regular xbox counterparts.  There aren't really many 360 games right now (Oblivion aside) that are exclusive to 360 that you can't get the same gameplay on the regular xbox.

Xbox 360 was designed from the ground up for HD, 5.1 sound, and online play via Live.  If you're not going to use those features, you're spending a premium amount of cash for a minor hardware upgrade, and continue to do so when you buy more expensive games and then use half of their functionality as well.
Macman777
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 11:58:16 PM »

I am using Live now. Didn't think I would. I am totally surprised on how good it is. Just bought GRAW and will be playing some online hopefully tonight. So I have the surround, Live but no HD. So I guess I'm half way there lol

Now Playing:

Xbox 360
The Elder Scrolls IV
GRAW
The Outfit

Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts 2

PC
DDO
BF 2
RO - Ostfront 41 - 45
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 01:04:01 AM »

Quote from: "Rowdy"
Gameplay is irrelevant, since most 360 games have regular xbox counterparts.  There aren't really many 360 games right now (Oblivion aside) that are exclusive to 360 that you can't get the same gameplay on the regular xbox.

Have you seen the scores between the Xbox version of GRAW and the Xbox 360 version of GRAW?  How about Fight Night Round 3?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 01:50:16 AM »

I'm waiting to see the second round of titles before deciding either way. I really want to see how Halo and Prey pan out.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 07:50:06 AM »

i love the 360,i only have a sony widescreen tv(not HD)but i am amzed at the graphix

i think it is a great idea how you can download playable demos for games...try before you buy......thank god i did with 'the outfit'

just played demo's of burnout revenge,thats made my list now,and all the trailers and music vids are cool as well

only upset is the crappy backwards compatible list.........star wars battlefront 1 and 2 please!!...not barbies horse adventures or whatever is called

oh and the controller rules!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: