http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:44:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Sony done with PSP?  (Read 1368 times)
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2006, 08:25:09 AM »

okay... I'll put it to you straight.  I realize I'm a new poster here, and this could seem like an inflammatory subject title... but it's actually the reason I signed up here... to try and get confirmation.

A very good friend of mine who always has very reliable information of different subjects tells me the other day that Sony has earmarked the PSP as "EOL"... which means "End of Life"... and that whatever units have been produced is it.  
this friend, as said, always has good information on a variety of topics.  He actually enjoys the PSP, so it's not like he's a hater and just trying to stir the pot.
He said the one reason he was given is that most, if not all, movie studios will stop making UMD's soon, as sales haven't been what they had hoped for (in all fairness, I can see this as it seems like the shelves were inundated with too much movie product).

This can't possibly be true.  Can it?

I had to come to a gaming site and find out for sure...

so, if anyone knows anything, please post.

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
Suitably Ironic Moniker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 08:55:21 AM »

I have no facts, but yeah right. I've heard that the UMDs might go away, but there's no way Sony would put all of this effort and money into breaking into the handheld world only to give up after a year. They're far too invested in it, especially since the PS3s are going to be so expensive that it'll drive away the casual buyer.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 09:30:48 AM »

Kaz seemed pretty excited about the PSP at the Sony presentation today (then again, he was excited about everythingthing...), but there are definitely some good titles coming out as well as more functionality.  The latest firmware update added a web browser and RSS feed support.  I guess there's a really useful piece of software that looks sort of like a portable Mapquest.  And also, developer's are trying to find ways to have a sort of PS3 + PSP functionality.  Like at the Sony conference, the PSP was used as a sort of rear view mirror for a PS3 racing game.

So I'd say with the focus on the PS3 + PSP relationship, the PSP is far from it's EOL.

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 10:57:55 AM »

definetly about the UMD..i would think...as they are just crap

but maybe the success of nintendo's DS may have something to do with it,and with a new look DS just around the corner...and the PSP not doing anything new in gaming....by all means though carry on with these rumours whether true or false....i used to love sony,but my love turned to hate...hate lead to anger,etc etc...a while ago...and because they still charge 20 quid for their memory cards for the ps2 here...even after 5 years

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 11:23:49 AM »

There's a little bit of PSP info here:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/08/engadget-and-joystiqs-live-coverage-of-sonys-playstation-3-e3-ev/

xbox live: nude rick james
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 12:22:07 PM »

It could be EOL, because there is buzz of a PSP2 which solves the few problems the PSP has.

I love the PSP, I have played it more than EVERY OTHER HANDHELD combined. But Im very alone in that I think, most people here love the DS.. I LIKE the Ds... Brain Age is a fun diversion and New Mario Bros.. is going to ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But what the hell was with the one analog nub!???!?!?? DAMN.

I want the GPS for it for SURE.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 12:30:09 PM »

I have a hard time believing that, the PSP is FINALLY getting good games, as if someone realized - hey! This thing can do games too!

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »

Plus, the last firmware update added flash support so now there's a whole slew of new games you can play on the go smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 09:14:38 PM »

I wouldn't think bailing on the PSP after a year for the PSP2 would inspire a lot of consumer confidence.  I like my PSP, but the first generation UMD games with their long load times didn't help sell the system.  Having 1 analog stick is stupid.  The buttons are not ergonomically placed, especially the buttons on the right side (my right thumb hates the PSP).  I just can't see them bailing on the PSP so early.  Don't hardware console business plans require at least 3-4 years before they start projecting profit?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 09:23:24 PM »

The Metal Gear Solid game they described at E3 alone is enough to make me hang onto the PSP for a while...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 09:38:39 PM »

Well since they just did their big e3 conference and announced how they are taking all these large steps for the PSP, I dont think they would EOL it.

Probably a rumor to sell more product.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 09:44:06 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
The buttons are not ergonomically placed, especially the buttons on the right side (my right thumb hates the PSP).

i don't have a problem with the buttons - my bitch is the damn loop/nub on the lower left, for the never-used wristband. i hold the psp with my pinkies curled under either end, & my left keeps slipping past the nub & over the speaker (muttergrumble)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 03:16:02 AM »

maybe hank was right - perhaps this version of the psp is going to be discontinued and a new "psp lite" introduced at e3?  maybe with 2 sticks or some such thing?  not an actual psp 2 but a second edition type deal - ps two like you know?
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 03:52:49 AM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
maybe hank was right - perhaps this version of the psp is going to be discontinued and a new "psp lite" introduced at e3?  maybe with 2 sticks or some such thing?  not an actual psp 2 but a second edition type deal - ps two like you know?

that makes sense, actually...

systems have been getting an overhaul since the begining (NES after SNES came out).  Seems like Nintendo does it all the time with Game Boy... Advance is on it's, what, 3rd design (micro)... and the DS is already getting a makeover as well.  This I could see... and makes a whole lot more sense.

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 03:58:36 AM »

I'd like to see a redesign with a second analog added.   That would do wonders.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 04:19:55 AM »

I am really interested in the PS1 emulation on the PSP.  I'm just not sure how they're going to do it.  Does the PSP have enough horsepower to emulate the games directly or do they have to be re-coded in some way to work?  What titles will be available?  How much will they cost?  What about multi-disc titles like the Final Fantasy games?

I could care less about using my PSP as a frickin' mirror for the PS3 racing games.  But if I can play Crash Team Racing and Final Fantasy 9 and a horde of other PS1 games then the system starts to really look cool to me.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 04:27:39 AM »

I think the major hurdle they need to overcome is if Walmart is really going to stop carrying UMDs'.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 05:28:52 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I am really interested in the PS1 emulation on the PSP.  I'm just not sure how they're going to do it.  Does the PSP have enough horsepower to emulate the games directly or do they have to be re-coded in some way to work?  What titles will be available?  How much will they cost?  What about multi-disc titles like the Final Fantasy games?

I could care less about using my PSP as a frickin' mirror for the PS3 racing games.  But if I can play Crash Team Racing and Final Fantasy 9 and a horde of other PS1 games then the system starts to really look cool to me.

From what I've read (and this is only based upon all the 'fake' news that was leaked out about a month ago), you'll be able to download the games from Sony's online service directly to your PSP's memory card, and run them from there. Which means, yes, you'll need one hella memory card to play multidisc games like FF7.

And yeah, the PSP does have enough oomph to play PS1 games. Apparently they know how to program an emulator really damn well though, as last time I checked, the emulation community was only in pre-alpha stages as far as an emulator went for the PS1 on the PSP.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 08:14:02 AM »

The only real negative news on the horizon is the imminent death of UMD video, and I've got the feeling that it isn't going to be a big loss.  UMD video always seemed to me to be the way that Sony attempted to leverage the six to nine month gap between the launch titles and the second wave of games that came along.  By signing quick marketing deals and rushing UMDs into stores, Sony could force retailers to maintain or increase their PSP shelf space without actually having any games to sell.  I think that once there was a healthy library of 50-60 games out, the need to push film was not as strong.

Now, I think the smart money would have been to sign deals to ship UMDs packaged in the collector's editions of DVD videos.  An additional price bump of $5 to cover costs of packaging and duplication wouldn't have strongly impacted sales negatively for the video distributors, and Sony reaps the benefits of a crapload of UMDs sitting in the home of videophiles wondering "What do I do with these?  I guess I need to go buy a PSP/PS3 for my new UMD collection."

At this point, though, UMD video is a vestigial tail.  Downloadable content synched through the USB cable or over the wireless connection is the future.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 11:41:13 AM »

wasn't there some news a few months back that Sony was discontinuing the current SKU, which is why it's marked EOL, and is introducing a new sku at a lower price point without as much stuff included?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 12:19:18 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
wasn't there some news a few months back that Sony was discontinuing the current SKU, which is why it's marked EOL, and is introducing a new sku at a lower price point without as much stuff included?

There is a core system now that is just the psp and ac adapter for 199. Been out for a while, but I haven't heard anything about the original bundle being discontinued.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 04:11:54 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I'd like to see a redesign with a second analog added.   That would do wonders.

er,how about they just release it in a different colour?

http://shop.game.net/lowdown.aspx?lid=6119

it will go well with the new DS lite now

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: