http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 08:58:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Sacred fixed after the 1.7 patch?  (Read 3542 times)
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 01:02:16 AM »

I know that there was a discussion about this in the gg forums, but I've been waiting for it to be fixed before starting.  Anyone care to revisit the past?

Thanks in advance for your help.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 04:14:02 AM »

Yeah, its pretty much a WAY better game now. I love the new skill changes and the random quests appear to be working. I haven't spent much time with the new patch, maybe 5 hours. But I was thoroughly impressed and it felt like a totally  new game. I can't wait for the free and retail expansion. Definitely going to get both.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 05:20:56 AM »

My biggest problem was the continuous respawing, especially after you died you would have to kill all the mobs over again.
Was this ever fixed?  I'd consider playing again if so.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 05:33:07 AM »

My problem is the different levels of zoom.  One seems too far away and one seems too close.  Now I admit I only played around with the game for an hour or two but I couldn't find a way to smoothly zoom in and out in order to find the "right" view.

Ugh.  Games like these should come with a default Diablo II Zoom Setting.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 06:36:23 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
My biggest problem was the continuous respawing, especially after you died you would have to kill all the mobs over again.
I played the 1.7 beta, and respawning was just as bad, if not worse.

Want a good Diablo-esque game?  Play Diablo 2.  Nothing, and I mean nothing else compares.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 11:21:13 AM »

The respawing is still there, it's just been toned down at lower levels.  I'd disagree with LE - Sacred is a very good game.

Speaking of which, hiya LE!  I hadn't seen you since GG.  You know I almost got banned for defending you and questioning Peacedog?  smile

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 11:34:27 AM »

I only played a couple hours myself, but the respawning was way too overboard for me.  Oh well.

how786
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 12:02:18 PM »

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed playing Sacred a few times. I also enjoyed Darkstone very much. I never understood why this game was not more popular and why it did not have a sequel.
 FYI, I enjoyed Sacred MORE than D2.
 Best
  How786
derek_hutch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 12:31:31 PM »

Quote from: "Xmann"

I was under the impression that once you cleared an area out through quests, the respawning stopped. I'll have to go check with my wife though.
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 01:09:21 PM »

You could pacify areas by finishing a certain number of quests.  This cut down on the massive respawning.   Sacred was by no means a perfect game, but it was fun and there were no major game stopping bugs for me.  I finished it and never tried the 1.7 patch, but the efforts by the developers to patch and fix issues should be applauded.  I look forward to any addon/sequels to this game.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 02:26:48 PM »

I haven't had any problems with the final 1.7 patch (unlike the beta 1.7 which crashed and burned my install) and right now I'm just waiting on the free expansion.  Unlike Diablo though I don't know if I like it enough to get the expansion (retail) when it comes out.  Maybe after it drops in price.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 02:44:55 PM »

If ya dont like respawns get a horse and just ride on by.  It's really THAT simple.

morlac00 on PSN
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 03:06:21 PM »

This still happens exactly like before.  One thing unlike before -- grey creatures (ones you are far too tough for) won't attack you.  Makes running through an older area far less irritating, although you will still see the monsters.  Also, the advice about the horse above is good, you can use that even in areas where the monsters are still at your level.

My problem is the different levels of zoom. One seems too far away and one seems too close. Now I admit I only played around with the game for an hour or two but I couldn't find a way to smoothly zoom in and out in order to find the "right" view.

I thoroughly agree with this, it felt like there should've been a fourth half-way view between all the way zoomed out and the middle view.  This has not been fixed in the patch, and is still one of the annoyances I deal with when playing.  That being said, I'm still playing, so that tells you right there it isn't a big thing (for me, anyway).

All things considered I like Sacred.  I feel that the patch made a big improvement to the game, but it will always be the "Gold Nugget" kind of game because of it's many flaws.  Other things still exist that I would consider flaws -- useless skills being the primary one.  But on the whole it is a good game, I didn't play it as long as I played Diablo 2, but I played it more than most games I got this year.  If you want to try the new patch, give it another go, it really does improve a lot of things.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 03:13:57 PM »

Thanks for all the input.  I'll give it a try tonight.  Is there a recommended character for a newbie?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 03:17:10 PM »

Galdiator is prolly the easist to play but he got stale for me fast.

morlac00 on PSN
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 03:36:33 PM »

Whee! I'll definitely be reinstalling Sacred tonight and patchin' her up. I started the game a number of times, had a lot of fun, but I never really delved into it because I was waiting for the 1.7 patch to clear up a lot of issues. Then I promptly forgot about the patch and didn't even think about checking to see if it had ever been released.

If they had eliminated monster respawns altogether I think it would have been a perfect game for me, but I can live with the greys not attacking.  Can't wait to dive back in.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 04:24:47 PM »

Well, I've played quite a bit and what character you select for the game makes a huge difference.  Basically, there are characters and skills that are completely overpowering, so if you choose those, you won't be in fear of your life very much, and the game becomes quite a bit less interesting.

Even though I'm not a "newbie", I reformatted with my new upgrade this week, and I'll be reinstalling this one tonight and starting from scratch.  I'll be going with a Seraphim I think.

Here's my opinions on the characters, and a few of the skills:

Gladiator:  This character was surprisingly fun.  I assumed that because he had fewer skills, he'd be less fun.  But the reality is that most of his skills are useful, unlike some of the other characters which either have overpowered or useless skills (stay away from Throwing Blades -- it is cool, but annoying to have to pick up the blades after you throw them, and you'll lose several).  For fun, try a knuckles-only Gladiator.  This character will rapidly build to a point where you are too tough for most everything.  Still, I like playing a Gladiator, and my highest level character was a Gladiator.

Seraphim:  Somewhat difficult to play, but perhaps more rewarding because of it.  The Seraphim is perhaps my favorite character -- magic and melee is just cool.  Plus, I enjoy playing girls in all my RPGs, a personal preference.

Vampiress:  The most overpowered of the characters.  If you want to breeze through the game, get a Vampiress.  It pretty much doesn't matter what vampire skills you pick, you don't need any of them.  Between the life leech from all the skills you'll socket, and the "blood lust" where you do more damage each time you continuously hit someone, she kills most things awfully quickly.  If you are concerned about the game being too hard, try a Vampiress or Gladiator (Wood Elves and Dark Elves are overpowered as well, but only if you choose the right skills.)

Dark Elf:  I like the Dark Elf a lot, just because dual-wielding is cool, and so is poison damage.  He has a lot of fun skills, but a lot of vastly overpowered ones, too.  Take my word for it, you'll enjoy the game a lot more if you stay away from any skill that "stuns" the enemy (Battle Fog, I'm looking at you).  These have been nerfed in 1.7 to only be effective on a level basis, meaning bosses will in theory be immune to being stunned.  But really I don't enjoy wailing on monsters that can't fight back.  The other big problem with stunning skills is you never know if they are going to work or not any more.

Wood Elf:  Wood elves are fun, but can get overpowered quickly if you choose the skill where the arrows split, and use that skill combined with another arrow skill at the same time.  The game allows you to do this, so a Seeking Arrow along with the multiple arrows skill (forgive me for not remembering the name) will shoot off several Seeking Arrows at the same time.  You can do this with most arrow skills, including Spider Arrows, etc.  I think it is overpowered, but your mileage may vary.

Battle Mage:  A very fun class, and one of the most versatile.  At the same time, though, battle mages can be built into vastly different types of fighters, but then actually playing the game you will only typically use a very few skills.  So they can get repetitive, if you don't take this into consideration as you are building your character.

Some tips:  

(minor spoiler from the first 30 minutes of the game)
There is an optional quest in the beginning town to kill a wolf, this quest gives you a pretty good reward of two skills usually.  Save before getting your reward at the end of the quest, then try out the skills that you get.  If they aren't fun, try some more.  This is a good way to start out with at least a couple of skills that you are sure you are going to like, instead of building up a skill for 5 or 6 times, and then realizing that you hate it.  Expect that sort of thing to happen anyway, though slywink
(end spoiler)

You'll get more skills dropped by enemies if you have actually used fewer of them already.  So a Battlemage who picks up and immediately learns every skill he finds will start having a hard time finding new skills in the game.  One of the biggest annoyances in the game, in my opinion, because it encourages you not to use your skills.

Socket!  Don't forget to socket, it works better than learning the skills in order to level up a skill, because recharge times are lower.

Don't raise a skill too high!  Some skills, like Attack, have had their recharge times increased quite a bit in this version.  It is better to keep the recharge times low in most cases, than to have a slightly higher damage modifier.  This of course depends greatly on what kind of skill it is, but a Battlemage that can cast a really wimpy fireball 10 times is sometimes in better shape than a Battlemage who can cast a tough fireball once (and then misses).

Experiment.  Start over if your guy sucks, usually if your character is starting to stink, you can't do much to change it.  Trade skills and get the ones you want.  Save, try out a skill, and then reload if it isn't good.  (Yeah, I know it's "cheating", but I enjoy the game a lot more by doing this, as I haven't had to start over as often because not as many of my characters are bad.)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 05:14:34 PM »

I'm confused by your thinking on skill drops.

"You'll get more skills dropped by enemies if you have actually used fewer of them already. So a Battlemage who picks up and immediately learns every skill he finds will start having a hard time finding new skills in the game. One of the biggest annoyances in the game, in my opinion, because it encourages you not to use your skills. "

I'm not sure exactly what ya mean here?  Anyhow its a moot point.  You can trade in skills you dont use(not your class) for ones in your class.   3 equal a random one in your class and 4 equal whatever skill you want in your class.  The combo master is the only person you can trade skils with.

morlac00 on PSN
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"
I'm confused by your thinking on skill drops.

"You'll get more skills dropped by enemies if you have actually used fewer of them already. So a Battlemage who picks up and immediately learns every skill he finds will start having a hard time finding new skills in the game. One of the biggest annoyances in the game, in my opinion, because it encourages you not to use your skills. "

I'm not sure exactly what ya mean here?  Anyhow its a moot point.  You can trade in skills you dont use(not your class) for ones in your class.   3 equal a random one in your class and 4 equal whatever skill you want in your class.  The combo master is the only person you can trade skils with.

Sorry, my explanation isn't very good.  Play a character to level 20, don't invest in any skills.  Play the same character over again to level 20, invest in every skill that comes along.  At level 20, your character that didn't invest in any skills will be finding a lot more random skills being dropped than your character that invested in skills as they levelled.

Anyway, if that still doesn't make sense, don't worry about it.  It only matters for us power-levellers who like to get every ounce of strength out of our characters, and then complain that the characters are overpowered after we do it slywink
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 05:36:04 PM »

Quote from: "Blackadar"
The respawing is still there, it's just been toned down at lower levels.  I'd disagree with LE - Sacred is a very good game.

Speaking of which, hiya LE!  I hadn't seen you since GG.  You know I almost got banned for defending you and questioning Peacedog?  smile
Good to see you again, Blackadar.  Thanks for the support in the past.   smile

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 07:54:23 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "Blackadar"

Good to see you again, Blackadar.  Thanks for the support in the past.   smile

NP amigo.  If it's any consolation, DS was suspended at the time that GG shut down.   smile

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Beaker
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2004, 08:24:54 PM »

I'm still having problems with quests being impossible to finish in 1.7. I don't know if it is a game problem or just bad luck.  I've just made it into act 3 and had several quest gone bad.

Extremely mild spoilers.........

Example 1: There was a quest to protect people as the teleport out of the town.  I saved everyone and the teleporter vanishes, but the quest still shows active. Talked with everyone around and nobody cancels the quest.

Example 2: Have to kill an Orc and get something he has back. Killed orc and he falls "into" a building where he drops needed item. Cannot get needed item.

Granted, all of these are minor quest but I don't want to spend any more time on this if all of a sudden one of my major quest gets hosed.

Tempted just to shelve it for now.....

What me worry?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2004, 08:47:38 PM »

I’ve put a decent amount of hours into Sacred both pre and post 1.7, and still find it to be a fun action-rpg.

-   There still is respawning, but like in mmorpgs “greys” no longer attack.  Also, it seems like pacification helps more post 1.7 with reducing the # of respawns.  I got into the habit of making sure each region was pacified before moving on to a new region.  I always ride a horse through older areas, so even pre-patch 1.7 the respawning horde never bothered me too much.  

-   I wholeheartedly agree that there should be another zoom selection between the furthest zoom and the middle zoom.  Unfortunately it’s still the same 3 zooms:  really far, too close to see anything outside the immediate player radius, and pixeliciously close for those that enjoy seeing pixels in all their individual yuckiness.  

-   The performance has increased significantly with all of the patches leading up to and including 1.7.  Running fraps in the background my fps have gone up almost 20 fps at the highest zoom since the game was first launched.  

-   Some of the skills have been balanced to a degree, but there are still a few uber skills.

-   Resistances mean a heck of a lot more than they used to, especially in the higher difficulty levels.  I think this change is a good thing.  Taking “Armor” as a skill is definitely not a complete waste anymore.

-   I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet, but one of the biggest changes with 1.7 is the change to the hit chance of combat abilities.  It used to be that you could never invest any points into a weapon spec or anything that increased attack rating if you used nothing but CAs with high concentration.  That’s no longer the case.  CAs are no longer a 100% hit rate, and (afik) are linked now to the mob’s level, defense, your attack rating, and your level.  This helps keep low level characters from using fog and spamming CAs to kill things like dragons.  Plus I always thought it was stupid that a gladiator without any weapon specs would still be good at performing special moves with weapons…huh??

-   I’ve played a lot of different character types and builds, and my personal favorite is the Conan gladiator.  The giant gladiator axe seems to be the natural weapon of choice for gladiators, but I think a 2 handed sword gladiator is a lot of fun to play (plus his CA animations are pretty cool…and it’s Conan!).  Next to Conan the gladiator I’d have to say a weapon focused DE is my next favorite followed in 3rd by a weapon focused spear using seraphim.  Sure they may not be the most uber builds, but they’re fun.
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 11:33:18 PM »

Butterknife....
Nice post.  I finished Sacred without the patch as a battle mage.  I enjoyed it but do not plan on replaying as another character.  One reason is I just have too many on my plate right now to drag out an oldie.

The respawning did not bother me at all.  Once you become god-like it become more like an annoying insect.  Bat them away and move on.  Actually the respawning helped me get to that god-like state.

I think I did most of the side quests so that replay value is gone.

If you haven't yet played, then go for it.  It's a good game for your dollar.

The official Sacred site provides good advice on builds for different characters.

We can't all be heros.  Some of us have to sit on the curb and clap as they pass by.
RaptorRed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 01:41:57 AM »

Does the 1.7 patch contain all the previous patches or do you have to patch earliest to latest??

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: