http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 09:13:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth getting a PS2 now?  (Read 763 times)
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2006, 05:11:18 PM »

I had a roomate who had a PS2 so I just used his for playing games, but now I have my own place and Final Fantasy XII comes out in a few days.  I'm wondering if it's really worth it to pay $100-$130 for a PS2 now.  Are there still more good games coming down the pipeline?  I already have a 360 and I'll get a PS3 sometime next year when more are available and more good games hit the U.S.  The only other really good PS2 game I can think of coming out is God of War2.
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 05:23:28 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on October 28, 2006, 05:11:18 PM

I had a roomate who had a PS2 so I just used his for playing games, but now I have my own place and Final Fantasy XII comes out in a few days.  I'm wondering if it's really worth it to pay $100-$130 for a PS2 now.  Are there still more good games coming down the pipeline?  I already have a 360 and I'll get a PS3 sometime next year when more are available and more good games hit the U.S.  The only other really good PS2 game I can think of coming out is God of War2.

Now is a better time than ever to own a PS2.  The price is low, the last couple months have given/will give us some incredible games (Okami, FFXII, Guitar Hero 2, God of War 2, Disgaea 2, etc.), and you've got an entire back catalog of fantastic games to play (I'm assuming you haven't owned one before).   

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 06:11:01 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yes.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 06:31:34 PM »

With the crazy amount of games available for that system, you can't go wrong in buying one.  You should take into consideration, though, whether you will be getting a PS3 soon.  If so, skip the PS2.  If not, go for it.  The only thing that you might hesitate on is a possible price drop on it when the PS3 comes out.  Who knows if that would happen, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 06:48:27 PM »

Quote from: spigot on October 28, 2006, 06:11:01 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yes.
Hah smile
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 06:52:40 PM »

I don't think I'll get a PS3 till mid year next year,so about 7-8 months maybe.  It's not that I can't afford one, it's just I don't see great games coming out until that time at least.  Resistance and Lair don't seem like good enough reasons to own one right now.  Although there are ton of games out there, my time can get limited, so i've adopted the great game philosophy.  I only really buyB+ to A titles and concentrate on those.  I figure the PS2 willonly have a few more.  I still think i'll get one though, and get FFXII from Circuit City.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 07:17:15 PM »

It's been worth getting for years now.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 08:44:32 PM »

I've been holding off on buying one hoping that they drop the price another $20-30 when the PS3 comes out.  That may not happen, but I'm crossing my fingers that they will go down to $100 to keep them selling. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 11:16:58 PM »

Honestly I'd say no, considering you are planning on picking up a PS3 soon, and since the PS3 is fully backwards compatible, it doesn't make sense putting down $130 so late in the game.
FFXII  and God of War 2 will still be around (and at a cheaper price point, at that) when you get your PS3.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 12:06:11 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 28, 2006, 11:16:58 PM

Honestly I'd say no, considering you are planning on picking up a PS3 soon, and since the PS3 is fully backwards compatible, it doesn't make sense putting down $130 so late in the game.
FFXII  and God of War 2 will still be around (and at a cheaper price point, at that) when you get your PS3.

You, sir, have a point!  If you are buying a PS3, just wait and enjoy the price drops and trades that go on here.  You'll get the stuff you want and save yourself some cash. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 12:10:54 AM »

Quote from: StitchJones on October 28, 2006, 05:11:18 PM

I purchased a PS2 and about 25 games last month for the kids for Xmas.. We're always 2-4 years+ behind on consoles because I hate paying inflated prices for stuff. I paid very very little for the PS2 package (new) + about 25ish used games...(Including Guitar Hero and a spare Guitar)  Short answer, yes, it is worth it, PS2 has a library of tremendous games, play it and enjoy it, then in another year or two when the PS3 starts being discounted, pick that up and sell off your PS2. (and keep the games)

A friend that has played the new FF says it is incredible.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 12:13:52 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 12:18:33 AM »

If you can afford it, and you have the patience to hold out, you should skip the PS2 and just get a PS3 as soon as possible and start playing old PS2 and PS1 games. I imagine some game you must have will be released for the PS3 and you'll regret your purchase.

PSN ID: EduardoX
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 01:07:24 AM »

I was thinking about that as money is not a problem, but I don't forsee PS3's being easily available until February or March of next year at least.  Supply is going to be extremly limited.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: