http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 11:03:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it wierd to want a system for just 1 game?  (Read 2928 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2005, 10:45:54 PM »

I am NOT a console person...not since Genesis/SNES. Also the new Xbox is coming soon. Yet I want to play God of War. It looks like a great game. Is that wrong? smile

Even wierder is GoW is'nt even an RPG..my main genre.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 10:50:29 PM »

In that case, get a PS2 and you'll have some of the BEST RPGs ever created...

I strongly suggest getting Dark Cloud 2 as well... and then there's all the Xenosagas, Final Fantasy's, Atlus SRPGs (Disegena, Phantom Brave), Suikoden, etc. to play. Oh yes and Shadow Hearts 2 is very nice as well.

Definately worth the purchase if you love RPGs... and most of those can be gotten quite cheap these days.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 11:23:27 PM »

No, at the time I bought my Xbox, I was only interested in Halo.  I'm not exactly a big FPS fan.  I've found much more gaming goodness there since.

I have a friend who has a PS2 purely for the SSX series.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 11:46:03 PM »

Heh, I think all of my last few console purchases have centered mainly around a single game I wanted at the time:
Dreamcast -> Soul Calibur
Gamecube -> Star Wars:Rogue Leader
Xbox -> Halo
PS2 -> Smackdown:HCTP
DS -> Animal Crossing

In fact, the PSP is one of the few console purchases I made purely on the potential of the hardware, and not based around a single game.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 11:54:00 PM »

You're an RPG fan and you don't have a PS2?  What's wrong with this picture...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 12:20:44 AM »

God of War is worth it to me.  As was Resident Evil 4 for the Cube.  My favorite two games in the past year bar none.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 12:45:06 AM »

Just about ever console I've owned has been because of one game. So join the club, we have jackets. smile

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 01:42:00 AM »

thanks to that game series, i own or have owned almost every Nintendo system (i somehow missed the GBC, and the DS doesn't have a game in that series... yet)

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 02:40:51 AM »

As much as I don't want one, I know I will end up buying a DS to play the next Castlevania game.  I absolutely love the series on the GBA, and the new one is a sequel to Aria of Sorrow.  The thing that sold me is that the DS gimmicks are supposed to be few and far between.  Top screen always shows the map and the bottom has the action.  The touchscreen is used to draw runes to "seal" the souls of the bosses and that's about it.

Sounds like they just dumped a great GBA game onto a DS cart and added a little mini-game.  Still, having the map open all the time will be a great time saver since I spent so much time switching to it on the GBA.

At least I can still play the others on the DS.  All gimmickry aside, I just like the feel and compact design of the SP.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 03:03:39 AM »

I bought an Xbox just to play KOTOR.  Dont regret it at all, even if I dont use it much.

olaf
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 03:12:19 AM »

Why?  The reason I even own a PS2 is because of Final Fantasy X.  Otherwise, my PS2 pretty much sits on the shelf gathering dust.  I just couldn't bring myself to play those anime/kiddie styled RPG games on the consoles.  That is until I discovered Disgaea and learned that "Graphics really don't matter"!!
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 03:25:48 AM »

I bought my Ps2 to play Vice City.
Xbox for Fable
GC for animal crossing
Up grade or buys new pc to accomodate new games. Last week $875.
GB: color so my kid could could stop hagging the systems.
GBA so my kids stop fighting over the GB: color
GB: SP so my kids could stop asking me to buy more batteries

Games do sell systems
so does kids.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 03:44:18 AM »

Not weird at all, aparently.  I bought my PS2 because of Vice City, I just didn't want to wait on the PC version.  But in the end I got it too.  And the Xbox version.  I am a nut for Vice City.

I got my Xbox for Knights of the Old Republic.  I got my gamecube for Resident Evil 4.

So, I guess there are plenty of people who buy a console so they can play a game they want.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 05:55:35 AM »

"Atlus SRPGs (Disegena, Phantom Brave)"
No offense, but that is the worst mangling of Disgaea I've ever seen  biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 12:11:44 PM »

Trust me, get a PS2 and play God of War.  You will love it.

Your downward spiral shall begin there.   :twisted:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 12:28:11 PM »

I purchased a Cube for Zelda.  I ended up with Metroid and Zelda as well as Mario.  *shrug*  Can't say my library has really grown for the Cube since then, but maybe this E3 I can get Nintendo to start showing us some love...or at least answering voice mail and email.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 12:37:33 PM »

I wouldn't count on it K.D.

infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 12:38:30 PM »

The PS2 may be old, but you can't deny the awesome collection of games. It's easier if you don't have an xbox sitting right there to compare the graphics to. I own all three systems, but I gave my xbox to my kids, because the games just are not there for me. I am very happy with just a PS2.

Edit: GOW is worth every penny, but it's only 10-13 hours or so.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 12:39:34 PM »

I wouldn't count on it K.D.

What, count on Nintendo?  Heh...like a neglected kid with a bad father, I've learned to live with the dissapointment. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 12:50:52 PM »

Yeah don't count on Nintendo showing us love. Well maybe they do. In the same way the creepy old uncle expects you to get excited over giving your a quarter even though your 16.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 01:21:45 PM »

I bought a Dreamcast (for $15) to play Grandia II.  I ended up playing Shenmue and have only played an hour of Grandia II.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 04:04:05 PM »

I got a PSP just to play Lumines. :oops:
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 04:16:57 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
God of War is worth it to me.  As was Resident Evil 4 for the Cube.  My favorite two games in the past year bar none.

I bought a cube just ofr RE4 as well! Worth the money all around. Ive found lots of other games I want for it since, but RE4 is what did it for me. I bought a PSP just because I wanted a PSP. Not even for any game, I didnt even really like the games, I just thought it was cool. Of course there have been lots of games I have liked on it that surprised me.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2005, 04:19:17 PM »

GoW does look incredible, and I'm also tempted to get a ps2 just to play it.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2005, 05:43:44 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Quote from: "mikeg"

I bought a cube just ofr RE4 as well!

I've been trying to finish up RE4 this week - it's definitely a game that should fall into the catagory "system seller".

I'm just curious - everybody here is always talking about how the only games the Cube has is Mario/Zelda/Metroid; why doesn't RE4 get any love?  I would argue that it's not only the best game on the Cube, but the best game on *any* system this generation.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 05:45:43 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I purchased a Cube for Zelda.  I ended up with Metroid and Zelda as well as Mario.  *shrug*  Can't say my library has really grown for the Cube since then, but maybe this E3 I can get Nintendo to start showing us some love...or at least answering voice mail and email.

When I realize I had 3 or 4 games for the Cube, and that while they were...ok and in some cases very good that was it, I realized that it had been a huge waste of money-just not enough to justify the machine whatsoever.

Now-god of war and a PS2---man, do it, there are hundreds of other games out there you will discover for it!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 06:14:45 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Just make sure you ask them when they plan to make a controller that's worth a damn again. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »

Dark Cloud 2 almost single-handedly sold me on buying a Playstation 2.  I mean, I was able to justify the purchase by realizing that I'd also be able to play Ratchet & Clank, but I was freaking *obsessed* with Dark Cloud 2 for a good month or two after first playing it at a friend's house.  It's easy for me to see how many people might not like it, but I couldn't stop upgrading my weapons, my villages, my spaeda clubs...

I agonized over whether or not to purchase an XBox, even though I was getting a pretty steep discount on it through a connection of mine.  Thanks to great games like Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Knights of the Old Republic, and graphically superior versions of games like Beyond Good & Evil, ESPN NHL 2k5, and Metal Arms, I've never once regretted that purchase.

As long as Nintendo continues to publish games like Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, and Paper Mario 2, I'll continue buying their consoles.  Granted, I might wait until two or more such titles are available -- and it may be a long, long wait -- but gameplay of that quality just shouldn't be missed.

-Autistic Angel
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 08:32:05 PM »

Theres a local shop here called Rhino that buys and sells old games and systems. I get all my GBA SP games there. They sell the Genesis for $24. I bet they might have a PS2 for cheap. I thought God of War was Xbox...is it not on there at all? Also I always heard the PS@'s graphics were not as good as the Xbox..true? Then again I dont see a bunch of RPGs on Xbox like I see on PS2.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 08:34:54 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
I thought God of War was Xbox...is it not on there at all? Also I always heard the PS@'s graphics were not as good as the Xbox..true? Then again I dont see a bunch of RPGs on Xbox like I see on PS2.

God of War was developed internally and published by Sony.  Its a pretty safe bet it will never show up on Xbox smile

In general, no the PS2's graphics aren't as good as Xbox.  Though there are still some pretty spectacular looking games on PS2 when devs really know how to tap its power (and GoW is one of the them).
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 08:55:17 PM »

borrow a friend's ps2 and rent god of war. if you still have an itch for a ps2 - then purchase a system.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2005, 01:14:26 AM »

Knightshade Dragon:
I purchased a Cube for Zelda. I ended up with Metroid and Zelda as well as Mario. *shrug* Can't say my library has really grown for the Cube since then

Did you miss the Eternal Darkness thread, or did you play that game?  i got my Cube for Zelda, but i think Eternal Darkness was better than WindWaker (gasp) - even though i liked WW a lot.  Luckily, i'll get the next Zelda as well, plus with Eternal Darkness and Summoner 2 - and one or two others i probably have forgotten, i feel i got more than my money's worth.

Daehawk - maybe the question should be - not whether you should buy a console for one game - but, how likely is it that you won't ever find another game that would make the purchase worthwhile?  i got the Cube for one game, but have really enjoyed at least two others, plus will get the next Zelda for it.  i play my Cube far, far less than my Xbox and PS2, but it's definitely been worth it, and i play my PS2 far less than my Xbox, but it's been worth it, too.

I say, if you can afford it - go for it, unless your mind is shut tight, which it doesn't seem to be - you will find more games you love, even if you always get the Xbox version, when available, lol.  And if you can't afford it, well... work some overtime... or sell us some of your games! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2005, 02:14:01 AM »

as i've mentioned elsewhere, i basically paid $290 for metal gear acid (psp included), & i've been happy ever since...

but if you think gow's a good reason to, you're gonna be pretty delighted with a number of other ps2 titles that easily blow it out of the water...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2005, 03:59:29 PM »

I bought my PS2 just for Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City.  After that it mostly collected dust until God of War.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: