http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:22:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it too early to give up on the 360 for Christmas?  (Read 3886 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:05:29 PM »

I just went AGAIN to my local EBgames to find out what they know.    Several things:

1.  They are consistent in telling me that they are not expecting the bulk of shipments until January and any before then will be tiny consisting of a couple units at a time.

2.  They have not yet receieved a single shipment since launch day.

3.  They have no news or word on when ANY new shipment will arrive, and nothing has shown up in their computer systems

So is it too early to give up quite yet?   I could very easily release the 200 dollars my wife was going to put toward it and let her spend it as she wishes.         Or I could wait and hope.... and also hope that my contacts here pan out or that I happen upon one as it gets to the loading dock.

Edit to add:   if I give it up now, it will likely be months before I can purchase one.    In fact.... I might then decide to skip it and wait for PS3 at that point.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 03:06:48 PM »

NEVER GIVE UP!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 03:07:52 PM »

Thats a tough one to answer.  Honestly, the things I have been reading is that MS is releasing another big shipment the week of the 18th, but again all this is just internet rumors

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 03:19:13 PM »

You'll get one. Fuckin' A believe it.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 03:41:32 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"

So is it too early to give up quite yet?   I could very easily release the 200 dollars my wife was going to put toward it and let her spend it as she wishes.         Or I could wait and hope.... and also hope that my contacts here pan out or that I happen upon one as it gets to the loading dock.

Edit to add:   if I give it up now, it will likely be months before I can purchase one.    In fact.... I might then decide to skip it and wait for PS3 at that point.

It is never too early to quit!  smile  

I would say you have a 5-10% chance of getting one but how optimistic of a person are you?

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 03:44:05 PM »

You may need to give up getting one from EB or Gamestop, but there should be other ways to get one in the coming weeks. Online sites will occasionally get them in stock (CC apparently sold out in a couple of minutes this morning), and stores like Target and Walmart should have some trickling in through Christmas. Your best bet, though, if you REALLY want one by Xmas, would be to do the camp out thing outside Best Buy for Sunday the 18th.

I've pretty much resigned myself to getting one when I get one. If that's February, so be it.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 03:55:32 PM »

Not too late I dont think. I managed to get one at Circuit City's web site this morning. Of course, you had to buy the bundle and it really didnt have the greatest selection of games for me. Im just hoping it actually ships. I had waited in line lauch day and came up 3 people short of getting one and my computer crashed the last time Circuit City had them available. I was about to give up too. Keep looking and use one of the online sites that keeps tabs on inventory for several retailers. The other option is of course, another long wait on the 18th at Best Buy.  Good luck.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 04:04:19 PM »

I think  it's safe to say you won't get one from EB or Gamestop, but I have a feeling if you are diligent enough, you will be able to get one from a Best Buy, Wal Mart or Target.  This might require you going in a few times a day, but you might just get lucky.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 04:08:14 PM »

My wife has informed me that Microsoft are 'a bunch of asses' and that she is going to use my Christmas money for something else.   She says I can keep looking and keep my preorder and just pay back the family fund when tax refund time comes around.

She's pissed at M$, but she's not going to let them ruin her Christmas for me.

I <3 my wife.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 04:15:47 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
NEVER GIVE UP!!

NEVER SURRENDER!!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 04:19:14 PM »

Listen to your heart.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 05:29:18 PM »

Quote from: "Kurt Stevens"
Not too late I dont think. I managed to get one at Circuit City's web site this morning. Of course, you had to buy the bundle and it really didnt have the greatest selection of games for me. .

After it arrives, you can take the games and accessories you don't want and return them to a Circuit City store. I got the bundle earlier this month and I returned PGR3, NFS: Most Wanted, and the extra controller for a full refuend. Wasn't hassled at all by the sales clerk when I returned it.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 05:45:46 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Not too late I dont think. I managed to get one at Circuit City's web site this morning. Of course, you had to buy the bundle and it really didnt have the greatest selection of games for me. .

After it arrives, you can take the games and accessories you don't want and return them to a Circuit City store. I got the bundle earlier this month and I returned PGR3, NFS: Most Wanted, and the extra controller for a full refuend. Wasn't hassled at all by the sales clerk when I returned it.

I did the same thing, but at Toys-R-Us.

LiveTAG: happydog
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 05:52:03 PM »

I believe there was a link to a story on bluesnews.com about BestBuy holding any 360's they recieved until the 18th for a sale....

-Tony
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 07:26:26 PM »

I was thinking about trying to exchange a couple of the games for call of duty 2 and cash. Good to know it can be done. Thanks for the info!!  biggrin
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 07:27:57 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

I just removed the stuff I didn't want from the basket before I placed the order.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 07:47:31 PM »

I just removed the stuff I didn't want from the basket before I placed the order

I thought about that but was paranoid it would cause an issue with the order.I figured Id only have one shot to order it. Plus, I was just sick of looking for one of the damn things.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 08:54:52 PM »

There's a link on bestbuy.com titled "Open Letter to Customers".  I've pasted the text below.  Interesting.  

TO: Open Letter to Customers
RE: Launch of Xbox 360
CC:  Best Buy Store, District and Territory Employees
DATE: December 6, 2005

I'm writing to apologize.

While all of us at Best Buy were thrilled to be part of the recent launch of Microsoft's Xbox 360 video game system — one of the most anticipated events in the history of electronic gaming — the launch did not go as we had hoped. We sold out of Xbox 360s nationwide in less than two hours, and most of our stores did an outstanding job of serving our gaming customers. I'd like to thank the majority of our employees, who provided a terrific experience for customers at the launch date. However, our promotional activities in certain cases failed to follow company guidelines. As a result, some of our valued gaming customers had an experience in our stores that was inconsistent with what you've come to expect from us, as a leader in the consumer electronics industry.

Specifically, customers in some Best Buy stores were told that they were required to buy additional Xbox accessories or services if they wanted one of the sought-after Xbox 360 consoles, even though we advertised the Xbox 360 console alone. I want to be very clear that Best Buy does not condone pressuring customers to purchase items they may not want or that may not fit their lifestyle. In fact, these behaviors are in direct conflict with our desire to serve customers' needs better than anyone else, and our values of honesty and integrity.

We are currently investigating all leads about promotional practices that may have violated the company's guidelines, and we will take disciplinary actions as appropriate. We have also reminded all of our stores about our policies with respect to launches of hot products. Meanwhile, on behalf of Best Buy, I'd like to offer a sincere apology to any customers who felt pressured to buy items they did not want.

Customers who are unhappy with Xbox 360-related purchases made in November 2005 may return unwanted items for a full refund at any Best Buy store. In addition, if your Xbox 360 purchasing experience did not meet your expectations for any reason, please e-mail us at [email protected]. (Employees with information pertinent to our investigation are encouraged to call our Ethics Hot Line instead.)

Lastly, I would like to invite you back to our stores, particularly later this month, when Best Buy will receive more shipments of Xbox 360s. While supplies continue to be very limited, we are truly excited about this new gaming platform, and we'd like to deliver the best of that experience to you. We promise an in-store experience that is focused on your needs and the needs of everyone on your holiday gift list.

Brian Dunn
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 09:07:39 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Listen to your heart.

^Funny stuff^

"Before you tell him goodbye"...OMG, I couldn`t resist.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 10:06:27 PM »

Got an AMEX card?

http://www.mylifemycard.com/mywishlist/wishlist.html

Looks like you could get one tomorrow. But I have no idea what this whole deal is about, I just clicked a link in MSN messenger for a totaly unrelated reason.  :?

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 10:13:53 PM »

And for only $150?!  Hell, if I can find a relative to loan me their Amex, I'll see if I can get one.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 10:19:33 PM »

There are only 200 available per timeslot.  Still, worth a shot... I may actually give it a look tomorrow.

gellar
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 10:25:55 PM »

Well after calling every relative I have ... NOBODY has an AMEX card.  frown

Looks like I'm out of luck.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 10:44:04 PM »

I have an AMEX, but it's my corp card. I can't imagine my company would be too keen on me charging an Xbox 360 on it.  Then again, I'm the one who has to pay the bill each month, not my company.  It looks like it's either the premium system or a core with the hard drive according to the item description.  You can't beat either for $150.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 10:57:18 PM »

Woah, I'll have to give that AMEX thing a shot tomorrow.  I'm not really that interested in the 360, but for $150 I would be!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 11:26:22 PM »

You should go for the Range Rover also. Only costs $5000.  :shock:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 11:42:56 PM »

Circuit City had them on their website this morning for awhile...and the people that got in on it this morning got shipping notices this afternoon. They sold out in about 2 hours.

Looks like the retailers are starting to get more in!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=136791&cmSearchKeyword=xbox+360

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2005, 01:09:10 AM »

Target is getting their followup shipment on the 23rd, and I thought I heard somebody at Toys-R-Us say they would get their second shipment the week of Christmas as well.

Seeing how there is still a group of about a dozen people (mostly moms) who apparently camp out in front of my Target *every day* at 7:30am with the hopes that Xbox360s will have come in, I'm think my chances of getting one before Christmas are pretty small...

Oh well, Animal Crossing DS should keep me busy well into the next century smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2005, 01:52:47 AM »

i was checking most of the big stores in the area regularly for a while, but i've pretty much given up on that idea for now.  my current plan is to try hitting BestBuy on the 18th...don't have anything else to do that morning Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2005, 03:56:54 AM »

I checked one of my two non corporate local game shops recently, it turns out the owners have been ebaying any Xboxes they get in.

Now, I don't think that buying an xbox from a store and selling it is fine, but tapping the distribution network just to get xboxes to ebay seems just plain wrong.

I have another local store that I'm going to check tomorrow, it's small enough that they might have an extra one sometime.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2005, 05:02:23 AM »

and we will take disciplinary actions as appropriate

= Immediate Promotion to store manager

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2005, 05:30:20 AM »

Hmmmm.......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2005, 07:33:59 AM »

Can that website really be right? If you look at tuesday they have a range rover sport for $5000 (retail $56,000) A loss of over $50000? No customer is worth that much.. although if some of us do get the 360 for $150, more power to us. I'd be on it if I had an american express as well, even if not for me I'd sell it for a grand on ebay  Cool

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2005, 08:49:03 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
I just went AGAIN to my local EBgames to find out what they know.    Several things:

1.  They are consistent in telling me that they are not expecting the bulk of shipments until January and any before then will be tiny consisting of a couple units at a time.

2.  They have not yet receieved a single shipment since launch day.

3.  They have no news or word on when ANY new shipment will arrive, and nothing has shown up in their computer systems

With the disc scratch problem, overheat power supply, etc. I think maybe it is better to wait for several months until Microsoft released a Service Pack 1 version of XBOX 360.

By then, there'll be more software titles to choose from.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2005, 02:06:05 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
I'd be on it if I had an american express as well, even if not for me I'd sell it for a grand on ebay  Cool

Honestly, that'd be my fourth option.

1) See if my mom wants to give it to my little brother.
2) Offer it to msduncan at cost + shipping.
3) Same offer to rest of GT.
4) eBay.

Right now, I'd rather have a PS2.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2005, 02:31:51 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
I'd be on it if I had an american express as well, even if not for me I'd sell it for a grand on ebay  Cool

Honestly, that'd be my fourth option.

1) See if my mom wants to give it to my little brother.
2) Offer it to msduncan at cost + shipping.
3) Same offer to rest of GT.
4) eBay.

Right now, I'd rather have a PS2.

Much <3 to you CS.   Much <3 to ya.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2005, 03:04:04 PM »

Quote from: "Victoria Raverna"
With the disc scratch problem, overheat power supply, etc. I think maybe it is better to wait for several months until Microsoft released a Service Pack 1 version of XBOX 360.

Hooray for the uninformed consumer.

gellar
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2005, 03:33:06 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"

gellar

Wait you mean the 360 doesn't kill your firstborn child, rape all the women in your household and burn your house down?  Damn that is dissapointing.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2005, 03:44:29 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Quote from: "gellar"

gellar

Wait you mean the 360 doesn't kill your firstborn child, rape all the women in your household and burn your house down?  Damn that is dissapointing.

Mine didn't.  It must be defective frown

gellar
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2005, 04:03:36 PM »

Can that website really be right? If you look at tuesday they have a range rover sport for $5000 (retail $56,000) A loss of over $50000? No customer is worth that much.. although if some of us do get the 360 for $150, more power to us. I'd be on it if I had an american express as well, even if not for me I'd sell it for a grand on ebay  Cool

Drop in the bucket for AMEX. My wife worked for them for several years. You wouldn't belive the number of stories like:

Customer: I can't charge.
AMEX: We put a hold on your account due to unusual activity. You normally spend $100,000 a month, and it just went up by $200,000 last week.
Customer: Yeah, I went shopping.
Me:  :shock:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: