http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 09:02:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time for more Joint 'Cross-Platform' Play?  (Read 431 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:09 PM »

The Playstation 4 and Xbox One consoles are due out later this year,and as i hear they will be(on average) more on par with current PC's:-although i hear current PCs can still be upgraded now to outdo the two consoles on their way,and of course PCs evolve quicker than consoles

Correct me if i am wrong on any PC related issues,not got a clue when it comes to PC really Tongue

Note:Sod the Wii U!

Because of Microsoft more or less imploding with their Xbox One announcements,i have noticed it has split a lot of my gaming friends(online that is,i don't have any real friends crybaby)...a lot of them included me,have vowed to at least get the PS4 first and Xbox one at a later date

(not noticed the change yet since MS reversed some of their policies)

but when a game like Star Wars Battlefront comes out,the old BFG(Battlefront Gang icon_biggrin) would be split over the platforms,also leading to the leagues to be in a right f*&%ing state to work out

Is it time for SONY and Microsoft platforms to play together?,is it actually possible for them to play together..not just technically but 'relationshipwise' as well?

I played Final Fantasy 11 on the 360,and in that game i played alongside PC and PS2 players...FF11 created a lot of great people,all were helpful to one another no matter what platform you were on and it made for a great atmosphere

Of course the smack talk in COD is already at a ridiculous point on XBL,and it could only get worse on joint PS4/XB1 servers...but what the hell,you have a mute option still nod

Shooters
Shooters like SWBF or COD even,i think could be done on the two consoles..both of them use Controllers

Obviously if we put in PC platform as well,they would have the upper hand with the aiming of the mouse(but i'll be damned if their claw like hands on the keyboard is better for movement Tongue )

this goes for Third Person or First Person

RPGs
as said with FF11(and if any PC players were in the FF14 beta last weekend),i already know this works

I suppose this would just mean MMORPGs,and RPG like* Fable with the orbs being replaced by actual people,where you could co-op i suppose,not MMO size

*obviously not Fable itself as being a Microsoft game

Driving
Online driving I think this could work with all 3 platforms,i can't honestly see any bad points(point them out if i have missed them),not just individual racing but games like Test Drive Unlimited or the upcoming Driving Club or The Crew

RTS
Obviously PC wins again for this one,even though LOTR:BFME 2 on the 360 really did a good job on the controller,as did Halo Wars..i still think PC would have to stay separate to the XB1 and PS4 unless it was co-op rather than PvP,but the two console platforms could play together i am sure

some online games if they are not called COD or Battlefield,then their online usually dies quickly which in a lot of cases is a shame,cross platform play,could strengthen or lengthen the online with more players trying to get on game from the multiple platforms

would you like to see more games with all 3 platforms playing together(or the two consoles at least?)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »

Would it be great? Yes, of course it would. Do I see it happening? No. I could see a lot of games where PS4 and PC owners could play together though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 26, 2013, 03:25:46 PM

Would it be great? Yes, of course it would. Do I see it happening? No. I could see a lot of games where PS4 and PC owners could play together though.

this.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 26, 2013, 03:25:46 PM

Now you mention it,wasn't Blacklight a a PC/PS3 cross play game...or perhaps was planned to be?

and of course i just remembered about Xbox Live being closed off..not sure that goes the same for Next Gen Xbox Live,guess it is

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »

probably, since MS doesn't like sharing.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »

it's in our best interests, so therefore it's not in theirs.  cross platform play would imply that the other side has a right to exist, rather than be an opponent you need to destroy. 

they don't want us using our console of choice, they want us using theirs, plain and simple. 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »

Every time a developer tries to get cross platform going, Microsoft and Sony shit all over it.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:12:43 PM »

I see this possibly happening this console gen, but I don't see Microsoft or Sony as the drivers behind it. IMO that driver would be Steam. Valve has the most to gain by getting console players playing online with the steam mplay enabled PC and MAC titles they sell.There have already been a few games that have attempted it (i.e. Lost Planet Colonies Ed.)but for the most part they've been failures. Just my opinion, but I think Valve has gotten to the point of having enough clout now to get some publishers and dev studios to consider cross-platform mplay more seriously.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »

There's a chance that Warframe will have cross-platform play (PS4/PC). The developer says it is doable, but it depends on what Sony wants.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 08:23:27 PM »

This would rock.  I never see it happening though.

Wake up.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »

The name escapes me but there was on shooter released early in the 360's life-cycle that was cross platform with PC. I remember all the talk about auto aim with sticks vs keyboard/mouse with the game. It got poor reviews and never had many players. It would be nice so people who have friends that prefer the PC or console could play games together with their preferred platform.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 01:29:40 AM »

That was the ShadowRun mp game.   It got a ton of hate for not being an rpg.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 01:36:21 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 27, 2013, 01:29:40 AM

That was the ShadowRun mp game.   It got a ton of hate for not being an rpg.

yeah, that was a pretty decent game that got universally shunned because it wasn't really Shadowrun. Had that been released with a different IP attached I think it would have done much better.

Honestly I think the key to making any shooter cross platform compatible is just to make everyone play at the same sensitivity settings.  If different classes or loadouts turned at different rates but it was uniform, then mouse vs controller wouldn't matter nearly as much.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 02:47:01 AM »

To answer the subject question, yes it's definitely time for more Cross-Platform play but it will never happen.  Sony and Microsoft don't give a shit about gamers.  They only care about market share and bottom lines.  I used to think that maybe Nintendo was a company for gamers.  And maybe they were at one point but once you get big and the suits take over, it's over.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 06:36:23 PM »

Okay,put the cross platform play question on hold for a moment

What about cross gen play?

we have a lot of games coming out for Xbox 360 as well as Xbox One

will Call of duty players be together on Call of Duty Ghosts?...Xbox original Live and Xbox 360 live was separate(as they closed down Xbox original Live)

COD isn't the only game doing this...Battlefield,Assassins Creed 4,TitanFall

I suppose all that server talk from MS at E3 is probably the answer,but with your profile details crossing over,i would've thought it would be the same LIVE over the two platforms

I can't speak for PS3 and PS4

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »

It's always time for more Joint Play!

420 4 LYFE!

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 03, 2013, 07:13:17 PM

420 4 LYFE!
+1

Wake up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 03, 2013, 07:31:58 PM

Quote from: ATB on July 03, 2013, 07:13:17 PM

420 4 LYFE!
+1

icon_lol

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: