http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 02:23:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to buy a 360 now?  (Read 3365 times)
Blonco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:06:12 PM »

As a college graduation present to myself, I am seriously considering purchasing a 360 (although I already own a PS3).  Has Microsoft corrected the defects that has caused the rings of death?  Is the elite worth the extra cash?  I never owned the original Xbox so I am a little naive about the system in general.   

You're going to hell with gasoline pants on!
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 09:29:28 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  Not to hijack your thread, but I would appreciate it if people could comment on:

1.  When is the new 360 with the 65 nm chipset coming out?
2.  Can you look at the box and tell what version you are buying?
3.  Are there any anticipated bundles/price drops due before the end of the year?

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »

The overwhelming opinion here will be yes. I am the voice of abstinence however. I have a Wii and PC for gaming, i don't "need" a 360, but i would like one. Therefore i am waiting for the new, cooler 65nm chips that are projected to hit around xmas.

BTW, if you pick up a 360, i'd recommend the Pro ($349). Make sure it says HDMI so you get the latest version. Costco is recommended due to their liberal return policy.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:33:44 PM »

I wouldn't buy one mfgr'd before july 4, 2007. You can open the flap on the box to see. (access door).

Buy one from costco. Best way to go.

And the ext. warranty and yadda yadda is awesome, even if it's been slow. I've had decent RMA service through xbox, but some people here have had craptacular service.

If you hate space mgmt, get the elite.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:43:55 PM »

The only systems I've heard where you can be sure to get the new version right now is an Elite model. MS still has a fair number of 'old' premiums to sell through before they allow the new version of that one to sell.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 24, 2007, 09:43:55 PM

The only systems I've heard where you can be sure to get the new version right now is an Elite model. MS still has a fair number of 'old' premiums to sell through before they allow the new version of that one to sell.

Huh?!  There's plenty of new premiums on the shelves everywhere around the country.  Just look for the ones that advertise HDMI out.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:23:17 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 24, 2007, 10:17:00 PM

Huh?!  There's plenty of new premiums on the shelves everywhere around the country.  Just look for the ones that advertise HDMI out.

I think he means the new smaller procs, which many mistakingly believe is the magic solution to the problem.

It's not.  The new (relatively) massive heatsinks MS is throwing on everything *should* help solve the problem.  All of the new HDMI units (and presumably every refurb MS sends back) should have the new heatsinks.  Smaller die procs don't do a whole lot to help heat dissipation, I'm pretty sure.

gellar
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:37:23 PM »

FYI, the Halo 3 themed 360 I got on the 16th has  a manufacturer date of 2007-08-07. It is much quieter than my other 360 which has been sent in once for the RRD syndrome, been fine ever since though.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 10:48:13 PM »

To the best of my knowledge, which has mostly been garnered from this website and discussions with a few well informed staff at local stores, the Elite models manufacturing predates the new heatsink equipped Zephyr boards. Whereas all of the premiums equipped with HDMI have the improved heatsinks. None of the current models have the newer falcon motherboard with the 65nm CPU. It's possible that newer Elites may have the newer, better zephyr board, but you'll need to check manufacturing dates.

If you're in the US you're in luck as the new HDMI premiums are available. If like me you're north of the 49th parallel, you're out of luck, as Microsoft Canada has a very large backlog of unsold product.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 12:00:44 AM »

The ones with HDMI don't mean they are based on the new designs.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 12:27:21 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 24, 2007, 09:33:44 PM

And the ext. warranty and yadda yadda is awesome, even if it's been slow. I've had decent RMA service through xbox, but some people here have had craptacular service.

Just tell them you are not Eduardo X and you should be fine  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 12:28:53 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 25, 2007, 12:00:44 AM

No, but they should have the new heatsinks, which may help delay or avoid the RROD. Since i'm in no rush, I'm just waiting until they fix the damn thing.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 01:38:12 AM »

Premium SKUs with HDMI are markedly different from the old premium design.  They have the new SUPER heatsink, and affix the GPU using new SUPER technology.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 02:47:11 AM »

Is it ever really safe to buy anything?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 03:13:35 AM »

Quote from: Darren8r on September 25, 2007, 02:47:11 AM

Is it ever really safe to buy anything?

I don't know.  I heard MS just bought a bunch of paint from China......

Because I can,
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 03:46:41 AM »

Free dog food with every 360!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 04:03:36 AM »

Quote from: Jag on September 25, 2007, 12:28:53 AM

No, but they should have the new heatsinks, which may help delay or avoid the RROD. Since i'm in no rush, I'm just waiting until they fix the damn thing.

My thoughts more or less too. I really hope to have a 360 in time to play Mass Effect, but with none of the new zephyr board SKUs on sale here yet it might just be the new year. Frustrating since I've got the money sitting in an account ready for the purchase.
Patience has served me well in the past and I'm quite prepared to hold out as long as it takes.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 04:26:01 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 25, 2007, 01:38:12 AM

Premium SKUs with HDMI are markedly different from the old premium design.  They have the new SUPER heatsink, and affix the GPU using new SUPER technology.

You mean new and improved glue? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 04:30:01 AM »

Why fix what ain't...wait.  That's not a good one to bring up.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 06:07:35 AM »

No clue if it's safe. Mine died today, production date was July 2006 and it lasted about ten months from the time I bought it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 06:33:44 AM »

Holy hell Simon, I'm in the same boat.  Mine died yesterday, and I just found an early release copy of Halo 3 today.

Simply put, unless you can buy it from costco, which has an absolutely amazing return/exchange policy for members, don't bother until a bit later when the 65nm revised hardware is confirmed released.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 06:54:14 AM »

Do they only sell the bundles at Costco? I'm sending mine in for repair, but seeing as we use it every day for games and HD movies we're not too happy with having to wait 2-3 months or however long to get it back. I was thinking of grabbing a Core system since I don't need a new HDD and all that, then keep the fixed one when it returns as a back-up.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 03:20:11 PM »

Quote from: Simon on September 25, 2007, 06:54:14 AM

Do they only sell the bundles at Costco? I'm sending mine in for repair, but seeing as we use it every day for games and HD movies we're not too happy with having to wait 2-3 months or however long to get it back. I was thinking of grabbing a Core system since I don't need a new HDD and all that, then keep the fixed one when it returns as a back-up.

Bundles only... and only with the Premium or Elite.

gellar
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 03:40:47 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 25, 2007, 03:20:11 PM

gellar

I thought it was called the "Pro" now.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 06:19:16 PM »

Quote from: Jag on September 25, 2007, 03:40:47 PM

Quote from: gellar on September 25, 2007, 03:20:11 PM

gellar

I thought it was called the "Pro" now.

It's always been called the Pro in Canada. I've trained myself to refer to it as the Premium because that's the only name most people here know. If it's in fact now called the Pro in the USA that's a win for Microsoft Canada's marketing team; a scary thought.  icon_eek

BTW Isn't it wonderful how much confusion multiple SKU's can create. I mean if GT'ers can't get the different SKU name right, just think how confusing it is for the average game consumer.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:24:20 PM by kronovan » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 07:59:17 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 25, 2007, 06:19:16 PM

BTW Isn't it wonderful how much confusion multiple SKU's can create. I mean if GT'ers can't get the different SKU name right, just think how confusing it is for the average game consumer.

Why Sony poked fun at Microsoft stating that more than one SKU was bad (and of course they did it themselves months after saying that).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 10:09:53 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 25, 2007, 07:59:17 PM

Quote from: kronovan on September 25, 2007, 06:19:16 PM

Why Sony poked fun at Microsoft stating that more than one SKU was bad (and of course they did it themselves months after saying that).

multiple SKU's are bad, mmmmkay?

Because I can,
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 05:40:07 PM »

Don't know if they are safe yet or not, but my second 360 died this morning.  No red rings, just locks up and total screen goes to pixelated square heaven.  Only way to get it back is to power off.  Does with or without hard drive and after power up only last maybe 5 minutes before it does it again. 

Just called and a coffin is on the way.

The joys of Microsoft product ownership.   If it weren't for the games.....

I am Xboxalot on Live.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 02:38:20 PM »

I have one of the new HDMI-enabled Premiums with a manufactured date of 7/4/2007.  While it does not have the new Falcon chip, it apparently has a new heatsink and a better method for attaching the chips to the MB.  So far, I've had no problems with it.

One thing I notice is that for the people who stand their 360 upright - you completely block one of the cooling vents on the box.  How that one passed the design phase is beyond me.   I also keep my 360 very ventilated and not stuck in an enclosed shelf.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 02:45:42 PM »

Here's another question . . . I just sent my 360 back to them . . . the DVD drive was making chainsaw noises while reading discs and only 50% of games would even load.  Will they do anything to try to fix the RROD pre-emptively while they have it for repairs?  I will be none too happy if I get it back and it RRODs right before Christmas . . .
I purchased mine Oct/Nov of last year by the way . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 02:49:25 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on October 08, 2007, 02:45:42 PM

Here's another question . . . I just sent my 360 back to them . . . the DVD drive was making chainsaw noises while reading discs and only 50% of games would even load.  Will they do anything to try to fix the RROD pre-emptively while they have it for repairs?  I will be none too happy if I get it back and it RRODs right before Christmas . . .
I purchased mine Oct/Nov of last year by the way . . .

From what I've read at the xbox.com forums, all consoles sent in for repairs have the new heatsink and epoxy used on them to prevent over-heating issues.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 04:44:08 PM »

That's good news!!!!!!  Thanks for the response . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 07:19:58 PM »

My friend brought his over again last night, and got 4-5 E68 messages before it would start up properly.
We looked it up online and it advised removing any additional peripherals (of which there were none).
Eventually, it did start up and played fine until we finished Gears of War!  icon_twisted

But still, it doesn't bode well for the future....he just bought the system (new) a month ago.  icon_rolleyes

Notes: System was horizontal and couldn't have possibly been more ventilated than it was.
E68 claims to be a voltage problem, although the exact same set-up was used as before (and after) without any problem. System was bought a month ago new, although I'm unaware of the manufacture date.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »

From the Front Page, for those of you who don't start there, lol:

New 360 Revamp Planned?
Is Microsoft working on yet another new motherboard for the Xbox 360 to be unveiled next year? That's the report coming from The Mercury Blog and they have quite a few details to spill onto the interwebs today.

Jasper is the code name for the next motherboard for the Xbox 360. It will becoming next August, in time for next yearís holiday season. Jasper is going to have a 65-nanometer graphics chip from ATI Technologies, as well as smaller memory chips. That isnít much information, but itís enough to tell us about their cost-reduction plan. If you ask me, itís a bit of a slow pace.

You can read their full story right here.

Discuss this in our forums. Posted by Mitch Youngblood 10/11/07

Okay, WBS, per your order, I'm discussing it!

I was originally thinking of getting the next confirmed 360 that had the Falcon chipset... but the article that Mitch refers to has stopped me in my tracks (unless one of my launch 360's breaks, of course, then the rails will be re-set!)

I'm low-tech, and the link didn't come along with the quote, so here is the site for the article:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/10/xbox_360_secrets_after_falcon_comes_jasper.html
It's a must-read, btw, if you are planning for the future, or if you don't want to buy a lesser version now...  icon_confused

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 06:06:17 PM »

is it really worth waiting almost another full year though?  i'm guessing it won't make that much difference...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 06:23:57 PM »

Quote from: disarm on October 12, 2007, 06:06:17 PM

is it really worth waiting almost another full year though?  i'm guessing it won't make that much difference...

It probably will since they are changing the GPU finally, but for people on the fence right now, we are only a few weeks from Falcon, which is probably the best time to jump in.

Interestingly with all this waiting and the new games coming out for the PC and Wii this fall/xmas, i may actually be moving away from buying a 360 altogether. I'm sure i'm not alone. Just more evidence that MS took way too long to address and fix the problem.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2007, 12:23:19 PM »

Or do what I did, go to Best Buy and get one of the 360's with the two games in it with the 2 year warranty and if it blows at any time, just walk in and swap it for a Falcon when it happens.  By the time it fails, if it does, the Falcons will probably be all they have anyway.  Either way, your there.  And you don't have to wait.  Ofcourse, with consoles, warranties aren't an option-must have.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2007, 01:05:55 PM »

I say, safe? Not entirely. Worth it absolutely. As for Elite, only if you expect to be storing/downloading a lot of non-game stuff.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2007, 01:38:46 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on October 14, 2007, 12:23:19 PM

Ofcourse, with consoles, warranties aren't an option-must have.

I never got a warranty on my N64, Gamecube, Wii, DS, and GBA consoles. Never had a problem with them, either.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2007, 03:01:18 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 14, 2007, 01:38:46 PM

Quote from: mikeg on October 14, 2007, 12:23:19 PM

Ofcourse, with consoles, warranties aren't an option-must have.

I never got a warranty on my N64, Gamecube, Wii, DS, and GBA consoles. Never had a problem with them, either.

But none of those were made by Microsoft.  And when I say warranty, I am not saying you have to BUY one.  MS's current warranty is pretty good (cuz they know they will fail), so, that should be sufficient for now.  But if they hadn't extended it like they did, then I think a person would be taking a big risk not getting an extended one.  Just my two cents coming from someone who is on his third unit and ALL my friends have sent in theirs for repair as well.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: