http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 05:57:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Halo 2 SP worth playing?  (Read 1610 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2006, 08:26:35 AM »

I was a huge fan of the original Halo's single player campaign, I didn't bother with the multiplayer. When Halo 2 came out I no longer owned an Xbox, but I heard the SP campaign wasn't so great. I would definately like to go through it though some time before Halo 3 is released, so what did you guys feel about the SP campaign of Halo 2 compared to the first one? Any good?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 11:22:47 AM »

You can plow through it pretty easily so you can get the craptastic cliffhanger ending.  It'll help some of the nonsensical story make a little more sense.  I still don't get the plant...

(you'll see)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »

It's definitely worth a play through. Having knowledge that it's an incomplete game (the ending) should take some of the sting out of that slap in the face.

The levels are hardly all that inspiring (except for the couple that happen on earth), but it's well worth a play through...
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 12:03:57 PM »

I bought Halo 2 last week to play the SP on my 360 and so far I have enjoyed it a great deal.  I am not playing it upon release with expectations which could never possibly be fulfilled by all the hype, though.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 12:50:16 PM »

Although it was ultimately pretty disappointing relative to my expectations, yeah, it's definitely worth playing.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 02:07:20 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
It's definitely worth a play through. Having knowledge that it's an incomplete game (the ending) should take some of the sting out of that slap in the face.

The levels are hardly all that inspiring (except for the couple that happen on earth), but it's well worth a play through...

I liked all the vehicle centric levels.  But yeah, the ones on Earth were the best.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 02:10:49 PM »

I don't know about the infamous ending, but last night I just got to the second Halo (about half-way through the game) - so far, it's been a blast.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 05:41:53 PM »

Similar dilemna:  I've played through all but the last 3 levels of it on my old xbox.  I can't bring myself to play it when there are all these shiny new games on the 360.  I was actually playing it the weekend before I got a little windfall that allowed me to purchase the 360.  I don't want to replay the whole thing on the 360 either.

IIRC, it does NOT have a difficulty setting right?    Maybe if I knew I could blow through it on an "easy" setting I might replay the whole thing.

So what would you do?  Bring yourself to play the last 3 levels, replay the whole thing on the shiny 360 with at least a texture benefit, or just go read about the ending somewhere and forget about it?  Note that gaming time runs at a premium.

- shaggy

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 05:56:40 PM »

Sounds like its worth playing through then. I've also read the Halo book they have out (or are there multiple?) so I would really like to see what events take place in Halo 2.

So what would you do? Bring yourself to play the last 3 levels, replay the whole thing on the shiny 360 with at least a texture benefit, or just go read about the ending somewhere and forget about it? Note that gaming time runs at a premium.

I would just play through those last three levels if I were you, I don't think playing it on 360 is going to make a huge difference.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 06:05:24 PM »

IMO,halo 1 was better...and halo2s online is full of kids called masterchief 3456...or masterchief7648...and all they do is shout and scream...mute button helps,but the levels are quite small...one or two stick out ..but it certainly doesnt deserve how much praise it got

EDIT: although bungies lobbies and clan set ups are worth mentioning

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 07:21:07 PM »

"IIRC, it does NOT have a difficulty setting right? Maybe if I knew I could blow through it on an "easy" setting I might replay the whole thing."
I'm pretty sure it has the same four difficulty levels that Halo 1 did.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 10:24:11 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"IIRC, it does NOT have a difficulty setting right? Maybe if I knew I could blow through it on an "easy" setting I might replay the whole thing."
I'm pretty sure it has the same four difficulty levels that Halo 1 did.

you are correct sir!

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 11:00:25 PM »

I'm sure it is better than many but I could not get myself to play after the freakin Flood came on the scene.  They do NOTHING for me.  So tired of them.  I do agree that the Earth levels are the best but I have to say Halo 1 is so much better imo.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 11:35:35 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I'm sure it is better than many but I could not get myself to play after the freakin Flood came on the scene.  They do NOTHING for me.  So tired of them.  I do agree that the Earth levels are the best but I have to say Halo 1 is so much better imo.

i felt the same way about the Flood in both games...completely changed the pace of the game and got old really fast.  i found myself eagerly awaiting my chance to face off against the Covenant again because they were more fun to fight.  i'm not sure i would have stuck with Halo2 long enough to finish the game if i hadn't been doing the whole thing co-op with a friend...more enjoyable when you're playing along with someone right next to you.  regardless of the problems with both games, i'm sure i'll still pick up Halo3 on release day...gotta see how it all ends...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 12:54:26 AM »

I absolutely hated the last 5 or so levels.

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 05:31:34 AM »

oh,yeah...i also didnt like how all of a sudden you started to play as the bad guys in the middle of the game.....everyone wants to play as masterchief

i think they must of got that idea from metal gear solid 2...with pansy boy raiden

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 07:28:36 PM »

Halo 1 SP?  Yes.

Halo 2 SP?  No.

...and I won't even buy Halo 3 if I have to spend an entire SP switching between the Master Chief and the Alien.  That suxed.

Quote from: "Ridah"
I was a huge fan of the original Halo's single player campaign, I didn't bother with the multiplayer. When Halo 2 came out I no longer owned an Xbox, but I heard the SP campaign wasn't so great. I would definately like to go through it though some time before Halo 3 is released, so what did you guys feel about the SP campaign of Halo 2 compared to the first one? Any good?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 08:20:31 PM »

Still playing the SP of Halo 2 and still loving it.  I must be alone in liking the fact they they switch you up between the alien and Master Chief.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 01:35:41 AM »

I like what I played of Halo 2 offline.  Granted I suck so bad that I couldn't even get off the ship on my own, but in the co-op campaign I had a blast for the first few levels.  I thought the street fighting level in the bombed out city was cool.  Haven't made it to the alien stuff yet, though.

I never really paid much attention to the story, but it is fun to play co-op, especially when your wingman is actually good at the game.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: