http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 10:09:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone still playing Project Gotham 3?  (Read 3036 times)
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2006, 01:48:44 PM »

I started really getting into it last night, and I'm in love.

I have to do some of the races at the Bronze (easy) level, like the time attacks and some of the speed trap races, and the Kudos vs. Time ones as well, because I'm just not that great a driver, but I'm still having a great time with the game.

Plus it seems like there's achievements for each medal level, so playing all the way through on Bronze doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Right now I have all bronze medals with a few silvers sprinkled in where I wanted that extra few thousand dollars and felt that my Ariel Atom was up to the challenge smile

Anyway, I just ask because I'd love to get some PGR3 multiplayer going on say.. Wednesday night next week?

If you're interested and I don't already have you on my friends list, add me!

I think I've still got like 15 open spots before it's full so we should be ok smile

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »

I don't know if I've got you on my friends list, but I'm pretty sure I do.  Personally, I love PGR3, fantastic game.  smile  I still play semi-regularly, and will for a very long time, I'm sure!

Dunno what's up for next Wednesday, but I'll keep this in mind.  biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 04:29:37 PM »

I've only had my 360 for about two weeks, and I just picked up PGR 3 a few days ago.  Very fun indeed!  I'm only playing with manual transmission, I didn't care for auto.  But I cannot beat hardly any tracks at Medium, most I have to be at Easy level, bah!  One of these days I'll try on online match, but for now I'm trying to get better against the ai.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 05:13:35 PM »

I haven't played much lately, but would certainly be interested in some MP.

gellar
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 05:24:02 PM »

I love the hell out of this game... it's just with Fight Night, Oblivion and College Hoops, I ain't got enough time to 360 enough.

I'm in for some MP, too, though.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 05:30:08 PM »

For me, the big killer in the online multiplayer is that most people obviously have no understanding of real racing or of racing etiquette.

It's perfectly fine to pass while cornering (it's one of the best places to pass if you know what you're doing), but it's NOT kosher if in doing so you use your opponent's car as a cushion to keep you from slamming into the wall.  I generally will deliberately fall behind in random races online right before the first corner so that I can take the corner at speed and weave between the piled-up mess that ALWAYS results from people using dirty cornering tactics.  smile

I've been thoroughly pissed off at times when I run into the occasional asshat in a race who will, instead of passing me properly in a straight section, slam into me on one of my back corners and cause me to lose control and spin out.  That's a dirty tactic, and in real world racing would end up with you getting the shit kicked out of you after the race by a very (rightfully) pissed off driver.

I'm not at all shy about giving negative feedback (generally "unsportsmanlike conduct") on other players who play dirty in PGR3.  However, when I have someone totally school me but do it in the spirit of the game, I usually make them a preferred player, as racing against them can only make me better.  biggrin

When it's a new person (you can tell by their rank) I'm much more forgiving, and will generally make a polite comment over the mic for advice or something, and spare them the bad feedback unless they were unreasonably horrible.

Fortunately, the vast majority of online races I've been in for PGR3 have been fantastic, and generally with fairly good drivers, so I keep getting challenged and having fun.  smile

It'd be different in purely friendly competition, as that's more just for goofing around and having fun.  But to me, I view the online career mode as just that:  another career mode, and there's a certain sportsmanship that people should exhibit.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 06:10:43 PM »

I played it for about 3-4 days straight and completed the single-player career mode, and LOVED it, and was hoping there would be some interest in some GT racing.  I know stiffler's going to try to grab a 360 this weekend, and we used to play lots of PGR2, so I'm sure he's in biggrin

I've only raced once online with PGR3 - my experience was okay.  I raced a lot online with the OO folk with PGR2, and sometimes some wild stuff would happen, but it would all be in good fun.  

I noticed someone here was shown racing at GothemTV.  Who was that and how did you manage that!?  That's a dream of mine Tongue

Name a time and I'll be there!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 06:18:23 PM »

Oh man, I'd LOVE to make it onto Gotham TV, but I doubt I'll ever perform that well.  smile

And yeah, TML, just racing for fun with friends I'm pretty easygoing.  It's only when people violate the racing sim sportsmanship ethics in online career mode that I get my panties in a bunch.  slywink  I also love that I can manage to best people quite often in a fair race when I'm using, say, my Aston Martin DB9 versus a full pack of Ferraris.  I still don't know why everyone and their little sister insists on racing the Ferrari no matter what class of race it's in.   :shock:

Still don't know what's up next week for me, but I'll be planning to try to be available for some PGR3 on Wed night if that is what works for you guys.  biggrin

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:56:29 PM »

I'm game but not Wed.  Gotta watch Lost.  

I only went online a few times and that were all asswipes just doing bumper cars, so, I never went back.  As described above about how people use other cars as bumpers in the corners ruins online for me.  That and the constant badmouth chatter.  Jeez!  Shut up and race for god's sake.  Oh, and don't even get me started on the ones with the little kids voice always singing.  Gag.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 03:45:47 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I know stiffler's going to try to grab a 360 this weekend, and we used to play lots of PGR2, so I'm sure he's in biggrin

I'm in!

If I don't get a 360 this weekend I am shooting up Best Buy and taking their display unit home.  Don't worry, I'll give GT the exclusive jailhouse interview. :twisted: I'm hiring Jack Thompson and blaming it all on GTA...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 06:53:14 AM »

Even better response than I was hoping for!

Awesome. I'll be on a large portion of the day wednesday trying to fill my singleplayer garages smile

But please, if we end up playing... don't be offended if I hit you. Believe me it wasn't intentional. I just suck.

Along those lines, is there a good racing wheel for the 360 yet? I'd love to get one.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 02:27:19 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
But please, if we end up playing... don't be offended if I hit you. Believe me it wasn't intentional. I just suck.

Hey, accidents happen man.  smile  Heck, one of the times I was in a head-to-head 2-player career match, I inadvertently tipped this guy's rear bumper just wrong and spun him out in the first turn.  It really sucked; I apologized and stopped, and the other guy was a great sport.  We basically had our own unofficial restart of the race and went on to have one of the closest, best races I've had online.  biggrin

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 07:22:52 AM »

See, that's cool. It's part of what I liked so much about Forza and it's damage model. Nobody ever wanted to smash their car into anyone else's lest they destroy some part of it and ruin their chances of winning the race.

With PGR3 it seems like in every race I've seen on Gotham TV there's been at least one asshat playing bumper cars at every opportunity.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 12:47:21 PM »

Oh, I don't mind an occasional bump or hit cuz none of us are perfect by any means.  I am talking about the ones that use it as their whole strategy.  

As for the Forza comparison, I would love it love it love it if the damage in this game did affect performance.  That would go a long way in cleaning up the races.  And add a whole new level of intenseness to every challenge.  I mean this is supposed to be next gen for gods sake.  Can't we do better than just better graphics?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 03:07:43 PM »

not played it for a while now,had to many other games taking up my time,its good...and online is a riot,especially when everyone is going for that first corner and all that happens is everyone crashes

our magazines here have said that it has already lost its crown as the ultimate 360 racer to burnout

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 09:09:21 PM »

I have yet to pick up PGR3, mainly because it seemed like the GT/OO crew had moved on to other games and I wasn't interested in playing with random folks on Live.

But if there's even minimal interest in multi here(and it seems like there's more than that) I'll pick this up.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 11:00:13 PM »

Target has PGR3 on sale for $39.98 this week.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 11:44:20 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

Yep.  Which is why I am picking it up.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 11:09:20 AM »

Sweet.  I'll be grabbing this on the way home today.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 12:08:16 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

Yep.  Which is why I am picking it up.

I actually ended up getting it at Wal-Mart (where we grocery shop) for $38.77.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 01:06:25 PM »

Quote from: "metallicorphan"
our magazines here have said that it has already lost its crown as the ultimate 360 racer to burnout

Well, PGR and Burnout may both involve driving cars, but they're as similar as racing games as, say, real football is to Mutant League Football on the Genesis.  slywink

I'll agree, Burnout is fantastic fun and I love it, but it's such a completely different style of racing that there's really no way to compare it to PGR3.

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 05:15:03 PM »

Curious...I don't have a 360 but I'm on the fence for getting one (cost being the biggest issue).   I prefer Forza over PGR2.   Did they give Forza the "higher quality treatment ala Halo 2" for the 360?  I see it's on the compatibility list.   Knowing the list is suspect, is it even playable?

To keep it somewhat related, my kids got into PGR2 over the weekend.  They're terrible drivers (being 9 and 5 and never having played a driving game before) but we had a lot of fun.

- shaggy

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 11:28:40 PM »

It's Wednesday!

Anyone want to race tonight?

(and I am not sure about Forza, shaggydoug)

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 11:32:22 PM »

What time?

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 11:38:42 PM »

I might join ya.  Oklahoma here, so central time.  I am free somewhere between now and 9pm my time.  Oh, and I suck so you won't really know I am even there til you lap me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 07:28:13 PM »

Yeah, my PGR3 night seems to have failed miserably.

frown

Also: Forza ran like ass on the 360 when I tried it a couple weeks ago. That said, the game seems to be on that most recent list of updated titles on the backwards compatibility list.

It might be better now.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 08:13:44 PM »

Augh!

This week has been horrible, and this completely slipped my mind last night.  frown  Heck, I keep mixing up what day it is this week.  I hate being the on-call for priority issues.   :evil:

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 10:03:40 PM »

Read in the new oxm that there will be an announcement at E3 this year that there will be a Forza 2 on the 360.  That should make some of you happy.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 11:42:11 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Read in the new oxm that there will be an announcement at E3 this year that there will be a Forza 2 on the 360.  That should make some of you happy.

Indeed.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2006, 01:09:08 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Yeah, my PGR3 night seems to have failed miserably.

I kept asking TML about it.  I think the Tomb Raider demo killed it.  I'm still up for it.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 02:10:24 AM »

We need this!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 12:13:57 AM »

Wednesday is fast approaching.

Should we give it another shot this week?

I'm game if you guys are.

Also: according to a small article on Teamxbox there's some downloadable content on the way soon for PGR3, including 12 new cars and some other goodies.

Woo.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 03:05:31 AM »

frown

I guess not.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2006, 03:37:20 AM »

i think just about everyone with a 360 has moved on to all the new games at least temporarily.  i know Oblivion, GRAW, and Burnout have been getting all my time for the last month...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2006, 04:13:01 AM »

It does seem like everyone's obsessed with the various "shiny new thing" games.

I don't know why I bothered.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2006, 11:36:32 AM »

Yeah, gamers are the worst that I have ever seen for having to have that newest title even though they have not and never will play through all the ones they have already purchased.  It's called addiction though you will oft here it touted as recreation.

I would join you but Wednesday's are Lost night and my wife and I are addicted to that.  Add that to the fact that I go to bed every night at 9pm, weekend or not, and most Live play is out for me.  And ofcourse, no one wants to play at 6am on Saturday or Sunday when I do most of my gaming.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ddunwoody
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2006, 02:42:11 PM »

I'm still playing PGR3 a reasonable amount, trying to get all golds, but I've pumped a lot of time into Oblivion lately.

Send me an invite if you see me online. smile

Xbox360 - Winston2108
BF2 Nick - Winston21
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2006, 02:53:13 PM »

My weeknights just keep getting fried, or as in the case of this week, I frankly forgot it was Wednesday so I didn't think to check on Live for any PGR3 action.

I still love the game, and am not part of the "shiny new thing" crowd beyond titles that I'm specifically excited for.  PGR3 is my new Gran Turismo 3 as far as racing sims go.  smile  Not quite as great as GT3 was, but still fantastic!

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2006, 06:11:04 PM »

Perhaps my post sounded a little too.. down.

Maybe if I see some people online actually playing it at some point I'll send an invite or two.

I'm actually going back through the game again already too trying to earn more medals.

I don't think I have much more to do before I've bought all the cars the game has to offer though. They need to hurry up with that downloadable content smile

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2006, 07:07:32 PM »

By all means, I'd accept an invite.  I'll challenge you with my favorite: the Aston Martin DB9!  biggrin  I always love it when I get in a race, and on the list you see something like this when it shows what cars the people have selected:

Ferrari F355
Ferrari F355
Ferrari F355
Ferrari F355
Aston Martin DB9
Ferrari F355
Ferrari F355
Ferrari F355

Heh... I can't help it.  The cars are all similar enough in performance capabilities if you know how to handle them that I prefer to pick my personal favorites, not the one at the top of the list when you sort by "performance".

Plus it makes me feel that much better when I place well against all those Ferraris.  slywink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: