http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 11:31:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Anyone Else Here Unable to Enjoy the Assassin's Creed Games?  (Read 1186 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:23:45 AM »

I played the first Assassin's Creed when it was released and couldn't get past the first couple hours of gameplay. I wrote the series off until everyone started raving about Assassin's Creed 2. I've finally gotten around to playing it.

The 2nd game is significantly better than the first- better protagonist, better story, better mechanics, etc. Leonardo is great, and the implementation of hiring the prostitutes and thieves to assist in distractions was a wonderful idea.  Despite all of this, I still can't seem to get into the series. Looking at the checklist of necessary ingredients, it has just about everything I look for in a game. But when I sit down and play, my mind drifts after about 30 minutes, and I start thinking about other titles I'd rather be playing.

I've made it through about 50% of the game, and while I really enjoyed it initially, I'm running out of enthusiasm quickly. The assassinations don't take much planning, and the city guards are laughably easy to defeat. I guess the one thing it is missing is tension. I can bumble my way through just about any mission and still pull off a successful hit. I think the game might have been better served if it had a little bit more of a Splinter Cell, Thief, or Metal Gear aspect, in the sense that you actually needed to....be careful in each of those titles.

Did anyone else here find it difficult to enjoy the exploits of Altair and Ezio?

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:44:51 AM »

I got bored halfway through the first one and never completed it. I played and enjoyed 2 and Brotherhood, but have no interest whatsoever in Revelations. The open world and traversal/climbing systems were well implemented and there was just enough story to keep me engaged with the gameplay, but I was just never really invested in the overall story they were trying to tell. The characters, the historical battles between assassins and templars and the whole abstergo meta-conspiracy just didn't do anything for me at all.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 03:57:12 AM »

I finished the first one and then I've never been able to get into any of the other sequels. 
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:03:08 AM »

Picked up the first 2 games used for cheap and looking to load them up sometime soon. Never played them at all yet.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:35:48 AM »

I play the multiplayer, but have never been able to enjoy the single player.  Played the first couple chapters of the first one then was bored.  Played 2 chapters of Bortherhood, and 1 chapter of Revelations.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 09:53:49 AM »

I think the repetition of the assassinations is what I find at fault. Almost everything is a rooftop kill, or quick run up to the target. There is no need to be methodical and calculating.

But Ubisoft certainly put together a beautiful world.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 10:24:13 AM »

The first one I couldn't play for long, but the rest I simply loved! Exploring the cities are a big draw for me.

Revelations I'm unsure about though, I can't seem to muster enough interest to play, even though Ezio is a great great character.

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 11:43:50 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 13, 2011, 03:57:12 AM

I finished the first one and then I've never been able to get into any of the other sequels. 

Same here.  I find them to be rather repetitious and dull.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 03:01:29 PM »

I gave the first game about 3 hours. That was enough. Series is supposed to have gotten really good after the first game.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 13, 2011, 02:23:45 AM

I played the first Assassin's Creed when it was released and couldn't get past the first couple hours of gameplay. I wrote the series off until everyone started raving about Assassin's Creed 2. I've finally gotten around to playing it.

The 2nd game is significantly better than the first- better protagonist, better story, better mechanics, etc. Leonardo is great, and the implementation of hiring the prostitutes and thieves to assist in distractions was a wonderful idea.  Despite all of this, I still can't seem to get into the series. Looking at the checklist of necessary ingredients, it has just about everything I look for in a game. But when I sit down and play, my mind drifts after about 30 minutes, and I start thinking about other titles I'd rather be playing.

I've made it through about 50% of the game, and while I really enjoyed it initially, I'm running out of enthusiasm quickly. The assassinations don't take much planning, and the city guards are laughably easy to defeat. I guess the one thing it is missing is tension. I can bumble my way through just about any mission and still pull off a successful hit. I think the game might have been better served if it had a little bit more of a Splinter Cell, Thief, or Metal Gear aspect, in the sense that you actually needed to....be careful in each of those titles.

Did anyone else here find it difficult to enjoy the exploits of Altair and Ezio?

I think Brotherhood addresses quite a few of your complaints.  It introduces optional objectives to every mission that make it more challenging if you care to pursue them (which I did) since they frequently require a lot more stealth and planning to pull off.   Brotherhood also has slightly (and I do mean slightly) increased difficulty in combat though it is still quite easy.  The mission design itself is also more varied and interesting than AC2. 

That said, I still prefer AC2 overall (it's one of my favourite games of the generation) so I couldn't really recommend Brotherhood to you if you aren't already digging AC2. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 13, 2011, 04:22:26 PM

I think Brotherhood addresses quite a few of your complaints.  It introduces optional objectives to every mission that make it more challenging if you care to pursue them (which I did) since they frequently require a lot more stealth and planning to pull off.   Brotherhood also has slightly (and I do mean slightly) increased difficulty in combat though it is still quite easy.  The mission design itself is also more varied and interesting than AC2. 

That said, I still prefer AC2 overall (it's one of my favourite games of the generation) so I couldn't really recommend Brotherhood to you if you aren't already digging AC2. 

I have to agree, that Brotherhood addresses a lot of the problems with AC and in some cases AC2.  I was actually surprised at how much I enjoy the series.  There are times when I'm just not in the mood, but every so often I just get a craving for AC gameplay and enjoy running rooftop to rooftop, slaying guards with Ezio's skillful attacks, and assassinating key enemies with stealth and guile. 

The overall story has its issues, but I consistently get completely immersed in the storylines featured in Desmond's genetic memories of Altair and Ezio, especially Ezio.  I'm always disappointed when things cut back to the "real" world as I'm always more interested in the past storylines. 

Still, I really enjoy the series and look forward to playing Revelations after the Christmas holiday.  But there are certainly other games I couldn't get into that others enjoyed, such as Fallout 3, Bioshock, Half Life 2, etc.  These all bored me to tears. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »

I have really enjoyed the Ezio games (although I still need to finish Brotherhood and start Revelations) because of the introduction of platforming elements (love the cult hideout missions in Brotherhood).

Oddly enough, Assassin's Creed 1 probably had the most emphasis on stealth, in that you were rewarded for doing perfect kills. The side missions were incredibly repetitive, but they would give you extra information, like maps of the guard positions, for getting the kill unnoticed.

The newer games certainly do have missions that can (and are supposed to be) done without being spotted.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 08:37:44 PM »

Revelations has training wheels on it the whole ride through.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 08:51:54 PM »

I have been a fan of all the games(not played the latest yet),AC1 i liked but as Teggy says got a bit repetitive,but i loved 'mopping' up the things you could do in the areas(eagles view especially),and i love the open world of them all

Assassins Creed 2 has been my favourite up to now,however i still like Altair as a main character better...Ezio is so-so

didn't really get into the Multiplayer of Brotherhood,tried it but not really my thing

I am probably due to replaying them all soon,as AC:R is on my rental list

But yeah sorry,i am a fan of the series

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »

Oddly enough, I enjoy Ezio in Revelations more than Brotherhood or AC2.

It doesn't look like there will be another full Ezio game - at least, not the way that Rev ended.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 09:15:46 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 13, 2011, 08:54:29 PM

stuff

Purege  could you please spoiler that last part? I'd say its a bit too much of eh..well, a spoiler.

A new one
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 13, 2011, 09:15:46 PM

stuff

Purege  could you please spoiler that last part? I'd say its a bit too much of eh..well, a spoiler.

Just to be fair, it's been well advertised that Revelations would wrap up Ezio's storyline

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »

Ezio is
Spoiler for Hiden:
actually a woman.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 11:16:39 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 13, 2011, 06:40:00 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 13, 2011, 04:22:26 PM

Still, I really enjoy the series and look forward to playing Revelations after the Christmas holiday.  But there are certainly other games I couldn't get into that others enjoyed, such as Fallout 3, Bioshock, Half Life 2, etc.  These all bored me to tears. 

The fact that you didn't enjoy Bioshock makes everything else you write suspect.  smile

Purge could you elaborate on "Revelations had training wheels on it the whole ride through." Do you mean is was too easy, or the kept holding you hand far too long into the game?
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 02:09:58 AM »

Finished the first two and loved every minute of it.  I have Brotherhood and was into it at first, but got sidetracked and now can't seem to get interested in it.  Revelations seemed like a quick cash in with added gameplay elements that didn't make sense.  Seriously, how did tower defense end up in an Assassins Creed game?  Admittedly I've never played it or read any reviews, so for all I know it may actually be good.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:13:13 AM by Glycerine » Logged

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 07:38:50 AM »

I started playing the first one recently and I'm noticing that while there's a lot of attention to detail in the world, that there really isn't all that much to do in it, which is a shame. There's no real incentive to go exploring and I've become bored after having done the first assassinations in each city. Quite tedious having to climb those towers in order to find out the first objective.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 02:51:36 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on December 14, 2011, 07:38:50 AM

I started playing the first one recently and I'm noticing that while there's a lot of attention to detail in the world, that there really isn't all that much to do in it, which is a shame. There's no real incentive to go exploring and I've become bored after having done the first assassinations in each city. Quite tedious having to climb those towers in order to find out the first objective.

Oh come now, you can collect the 5 bazillion flags slywink

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »

The tower defense isn't bad. It can be hectic, but isn't that the point?

When I said the training wheels don't ever come off, I mean that the game never really gets challenging. You remember the challenge of the tombs in Brotherhood and AC2? This is far easier. I didn't get 100% on every one since I wasn't pushing the time limits on a lot of them - I enjoyed the hunting around for stuff. I may go back to get 100%, or I might just trade in the game (I bought my copy).

Speaking of which, perhaps I should just finish the damned review.  Problem is I've not logged many hours with MP, and I don't find it compelling. Perhaps if a GT'er or two were to send me invites I could make it into a game and try the different modes.

Any takers? biggrin

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 13, 2011, 09:15:46 PM

stuff

Purege  could you please spoiler that last part? I'd say its a bit too much of eh..well, a spoiler.

There's a reason neither Brotherhood, nor Revelations is called Assassin's Creed 3. All three (including AC2) center around Ezio's influence, where AC1 was Altair. I figured that it would be safe to say since even the cover shows Ezio with an older face and white in his beard. (see below) Altair still has bit parts in Revelations, so I wouldn't rule out seeing Ezio again, but the next game will (hopefully!) be someone different.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't say he retired or died. I didn't say he got blowed up in a cacophony of brimstone and fire. You start the game as a much older man. Hell, the first 10 minutes he complains about how he's not as spry. You recall the comments made during the game by civilians? Most of them center on "how can he do that at his age".

In unrelated news - Assassin's Creed: The Geriatric Missions is slated for iOS. Tongue Tongue
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:05:13 PM by Purge » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 03:32:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 14, 2011, 02:51:36 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on December 14, 2011, 07:38:50 AM

Oh come now, you can collect the 5 bazillion flags slywink

I actually got all five bazillion of them.

I enjoyed AC1 a lot.  It was right at the tail end of my obsessive need to "find everything" in games.  I've since moved on and still like finding stuff, I'm just not as crazy about it.

After AC2, I don't think I could go back to AC1, though.  And Brotherhood was a refinement of what made AC2 great.  There were still problems, though.  They crippled an essential part of the game, IMO, which was traveling by rooftop.  While I loved the backstory of The Truth and finding them in-game, I felt like the puzzles were insanely obtuse.  But the full experience washed over all of that.

I even really enjoyed the Multiplayer aspect of the last one.  The new one is supposed to be even better, but I haven't been able to get into it. 

Honestly, I haven't been able to get into the new one much at all.  I hate that they are constantly forcing bombs on me.  I don't want to use bombs.  The fact that so many chests have bomb crap in them and there's a large bomb tutorial and bomb stations all around make me feel like I'm going to be playing wrong if I don't use the damned bombs.  I also do think the tower defense is bad.  It's not just hectic, it's awkward and pointless feeling.  And while I like going on special missions with agents (instead of watching the damned ceremony each time), I find the agent system to be muddy and slightly overwhelming as a result.

I'll still play it since I don't want to miss out on the story in the next one.

However, I play these games over a looong period, usually ending in a ramp-up right before the next game comes out.  I think I would burn out if I tried to crank through it all in a short period.  Maybe that's the issue you're having?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 03:36:58 PM »

Ignore the bombs. You don't need to use them to enjoy it.

Once they click for you, though, they are fantastic. Throwing a noisemaker and getting the Turks and the Templars to fight is hilarious. Then throwing a large explosive bomb into the mix for the WIN. biggrin

I was on DNA sequence 2 or 3 when I finished most of the side-game stuff, BTW. And that was no short effort, so there is a lot to do if you choose to do it.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 04:29:31 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 13, 2011, 06:51:58 PM

Oddly enough, Assassin's Creed 1 probably had the most emphasis on stealth, in that you were rewarded for doing perfect kills.

How did the first Assassin's Creed reward you for perfect kills?

-Autistic Angel
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »

I absolutely love the Assassin's Creed series.  The gameplay is great imho, but it's almost secondary to the wealth of detail and historical knowledge that goes into all the games in the series so far.  I find myself actually exploring because I want to read the often lengthy description and history of a landmark.  I enjoy encountering people so I can then read up on the both fictional and factual details about that character. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »

I had the first one on PC and didn't last 30 minutes (exaggeration for effect) with it.  It seemed lame to me, albeit with nice production and graphics.  The 2nd one I got on PS3 and played to the end, which for me is really saying something.  I thought it was great.  I have Brotherhood PS3 in my backlog now and could see getting Revelations when it drops below $15 which is my new buy price.

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 02:52:04 AM »

If you liked 2, Brotherhood is gonna knock your socks off.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 05:07:36 AM »

... and revelations will put them back on. ;-)

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 06:33:41 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 13, 2011, 02:23:45 AM

I played the first Assassin's Creed when it was released and couldn't get past the first couple hours of gameplay.

I quit the first one and took it back to EB when I found it was a VR thing.  The twist, coupled with the horrible voice actor just made me return it.  It was opened, of course, but the EB manager understood and gave me my money back.  Haven't been tempted to play any of them since.

So, my question is, should I pick one up?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »

Quote from: Travis on December 16, 2011, 06:33:41 AM

I quit the first one and took it back to EB when I found it was a VR thing.  The twist, coupled with the horrible voice actor just made me return it.  It was opened, of course, but the EB manager understood and gave me my money back.  Haven't been tempted to play any of them since.

So, my question is, should I pick one up?

While Ezio's voice actor is considerably less wooden than Altair's, all the Assassin's Creed games use the VR thing as a framing device. 

But even in that, the first game isn't representative of the rest of the series.  Assassin's Creed was incessantly forcing you out of the Animus to plod around an empty office suite.  The sequels limit that intrusion to some brief voice-overs, some optional content, and a couple major story points.  The majority of the game treats the sci-fi elements as an aesthetic choice.

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 09:19:11 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 16, 2011, 02:51:24 PM

Quote from: Travis on December 16, 2011, 06:33:41 AM

horrible voice actor

While Ezio's voice actor is considerably less wooden than Altair's, all the Assassin's Creed games use the VR thing as a framing device.  

Oh, Altair's voice. For a second there I thought you meant Nolan North, and I was going to have to sic Leo on you.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 11:41:09 PM »

One of the things in the first one I really didn't like was how the assassinations were presented. You'd go ahead and accomplish the kill, but the cutscene that followed where you'd be talking to them surrounded by the VR effect just pulled me out of the game.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 11:49:07 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on December 16, 2011, 11:41:09 PM

One of the things in the first one I really didn't like was how the assassinations were presented. You'd go ahead and accomplish the kill, but the cutscene that followed where you'd be talking to them surrounded by the VR effect just pulled me out of the game.

Well, that never goes away, but those moments aren't quite as long as in the first game.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 01:37:12 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 16, 2011, 11:49:07 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on December 16, 2011, 11:41:09 PM

Well, that never goes away, but those moments aren't quite as long as in the first game.

Yeah, they're a smidge shorter.  See if you can spot the difference between the first assassinations in each game.

Quote from: Assassin's Creed -- Runtime: 1:00
Altair: Be at peace.

Target: You'll pay for this!  You, and all your kind!

Altair: It seems you're the one who pays now, my friend.  You'll not profit from suffering any longer.

Target: You think me some petty death dealer suckling at the breast of war?  A strange target, don't you think?  Why me, when so many others do the same?

Altair: You believe yourself different, then?

Target: Oh, but I am!  For I serve a far nobler cause than mere profit!  Just like my brothers.

Altair: Brothers?

Target: Ah!  But he thinks I act alone.  I am but a piece: a man with a part to play.  You'll come to know the others soon enough.  They won't take kindly to what you've done.

Altair: Good!  I look forward to ending their lives as well.

Target: Such pride!  It will destroy you, child....

Quote from: Assassin's Creed II -- Runtime: 0:08
Target: You would have done the same...to save the ones you love.

Ezio: Yes, I would!  And I have!

And lest anyone mistake all that blather in the first game for some sort of character or plot development, allow me to point out that very slight variations of this same conversation make up about 85% of the entire story.

-Autistic Angel
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »

Just wanted to say that if anyone is judging the series based on playing the first game only, don't. IMO the first game was awful, repetitious, and boring. The second one was like a completely different game, and it's one of maybe five 360 games I've ever finished.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on December 17, 2011, 04:04:10 PM

Just wanted to say that if anyone is judging the series based on playing the first game only, don't. IMO the first game was awful, repetitious, and boring. The second one was like a completely different game, and it's one of maybe five 360 games I've ever finished.

I'm in the same boat. I never could get too far into the first one and tried on a couple of different platforms. The second one was quite the opposite, it sucked me in and was one I actually finished which is unusual for me, well... except for finding all of the dang feathers.  disgust

Haven't gotten to the next two yet.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »

Finding feathers is easy, since the DNA strands tell you which city has missing ones.

Simply running around in eagle view pretty much finds all of them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: