http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 08:08:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone games?  (Read 1166 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »

I know there was talk about iPhone/iPod Touch game reviews, etc. - where does iPhone/Touch game discussion belong?

Anyway, with Steve Jobs claiming it's the best mobile gaming platform, I suspect there will be more (and better) games coming out.  Current releases like Spore Origins and Asphalt 4 definitely deserve some mention, and the upcoming version of Force Unleashed looks pretty sweet.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »

The new Soccer game is pretty good.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:41:29 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 11, 2008, 06:34:55 PM

The new Soccer game is pretty good.

Is there a sports game you don't play? Tongue

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:14:25 PM »

From the results of last night's game..hockey!

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:41:32 PM »

FYI - The GT staff is currently conducting double top secret discussions on reviews for certain new release iPhone games.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:21:38 AM »

Bejeweled 2 reigns over all  nod

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 05:03:35 PM »

I like Asphalt4 racing. Well worth the $10. Very sharp visuals. Polished.

I just picked up Vay ($5), but haven't played it much yet at all.

Aurora Feint (free) was fun for a while, but it never quite grabbed me: got repetitive fast.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:25:19 PM »

As much as I love my iPod Touch (which is an iPhone sans phone) I think I would rather play games on my DS. Besides, the battery life on the iPhone/Touch is probably 1/4 what it is on the DS, especially if you use wi-fi. Also, aren't the controls going to be a serious problem considering the iPhone/iTouch only has 1 button?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 05:40:15 PM »

Quote from: jblank on September 12, 2008, 05:25:19 PM

As much as I love my iPod Touch (which is an iPhone sans phone) I think I would rather play games on my DS. Besides, the battery life on the iPhone/Touch is probably 1/4 what it is on the DS, especially if you use wi-fi. Also, aren't the controls going to be a serious problem considering the iPhone/iTouch only has 1 button?

So far it hasn't been an issue.  Developers are coming up with innovative ways to use the touch screen and create "on the fly" type of interfaces, and really the whole thing is in its infancy.  For instance in Asphalt 4 you simply touch the screen in the direction you want to turn.  Monkey Ball uses the accelerometer for movement.  In Vay you touch the spot you want your character to move to, and menus are all touch/pop-up.  Buttons can be placed on the screen when they are needed, actually there is less limitation in some sense; it's all about what a developer can come up with using the tools and their imagination. 

All that said, I've seen prototype images of an overlay type of hardware interface to the iPhone/Touch that would make it much more in line with a portable console (including D-pad and physical buttons).

Here it is:

http://www.icontrolpad.com/

Also best site I've found for iPhone games in general so far:  www.toucharcade.com
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:58:15 PM by rittchard » Logged
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 06:15:52 PM »

The soccer game has a controller overlay right on the screen and works pretty well.

(someone else can probably find a picture and post it in here)

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »

Quote from: jblank on September 12, 2008, 05:25:19 PM

I'd much rather play games on my DS or PSP. When I bought my iPhone, the Apple salesperson said that "Now Apple will take over the handheld gaming industry!" Um, I don't think so. I admit it's early, but I haven't seen anything on the iPhone that comes anywhere near the complexity and scale of a good DS or PSP game. Asphalt4 is the only thing that strikes me as anything approaching more than a light diversion. Who knows, maybe "real" games will come as developers get on board and toss some resources at the market?

The battery life is a huge issue as well.

I don't see the controls as being an issue, but many of the games I've tried have had minor responsiveness issues. Not sure if that's the fault of the software, the hardware, or me.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 08:18:14 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on September 13, 2008, 09:39:10 PM

I haven't seen anything on the iPhone that comes anywhere near the complexity and scale of a good DS or PSP game.

I agree. It is nice, though, to have a selection of games to play without
having to be switching carts/disks. I do think games will improve with time.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 05:01:27 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 14, 2008, 08:18:14 PM

It is nice, though, to have a selection of games to play without
having to be switching carts/disks.

I thought so, too, but it's funny. I always have my iPhone with me, so I was thinking that I'd actually play some games on it during those little times in the day when I end up waiting a couple of minutes for the next thing to start. But I've found that there are so many other things to do with the iPhone that I actually haven't used the games I've got much. If I've got a couple of free minutes, I'll usually do something like check sports scores, read the news, mess with my Netflix cue, fire off some messages on Facebook, send an email, etc.

There are just so many other things to do with the iPhone that I've found myself less drawn to it as a gaming platform.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: