http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:43:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing the DS Lite!!  (Read 2346 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2006, 08:08:42 AM »

Guess the rumors were true after all....

The article says that the system is thinner, lighter, and has adjustable brightness controls (apparently it's called DS lite because of both weight and brightness).

Original dimensions: 148 x 85 x 28mm
New dimensions: 133 x 73.9 x 21.55mm

Old weight: 275g
New weight: 218g

March 2nd release date.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 08:14:10 AM »

Thanks for that well-written article!

There were rumors that there would be a cell-phone type of DS as well, with Nokia pretty much abandoning the N-gage there really aren't any other alternatives.
Having pretty much stopped gaming on my n-gage I'd love to see a phone DS.
Then again there are also rumors that Elvis is still alive and that Bush really believes in world peace.
So it's hard to really believe everything you hear.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 08:46:14 AM »

Cool!  Guess those rumors were true . . . I beginning not to believe!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 10:04:40 AM »

googly translated
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 12:43:10 PM »

And a price tag of $170 bucks
Not too shabby.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 01:53:20 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

That's less of a translation and more of a jumble of words that in theory might be the English language. biggrin

As for Nintendo Co., it designates the existence in the portable type game machine market furthermore it is complete & expands the charm corresponding software which you can enjoy to the your wide customer regardless of the presence of age * sex * game experience, not only, with throwing the superior model, this " ニンテンドー DS Lite ", as more firm ones, actualizes preponderant spread and is defeated.

No emphasis on my end for once. Ah, I love translation sites. And how poor of a job they actually do.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 02:23:39 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
As for Nintendo Co., it designates the existence in the portable type game machine market furthermore it is complete & expands the charm corresponding software which you can enjoy to the your wide customer regardless of the presence of age * sex * game experience, not only, with throwing the superior model, this " ニンテンドー DS Lite ", as more firm ones, actualizes preponderant spread and is defeated.

No emphasis on my end for once. Ah, I love translation sites. And how poor of a job they actually do.

Just for kicks I put the above paragraph through the The English-to-12-Year-Old-AOLer Translator and it gave me this:
AS FOR NINTANDO CO!111 IT D3SIGNAETS DA 3XISTENCE IN TEH PORTABLA TYP3 GME MACHIEN MARK3T FURTH3RMORA IT IS COMPL3T3 & EXPANDS DA CHARM CORESPONDNG R WHICH U CAN 3NJOY 2 TEH UR WIED CUS2MER R3GARDLES OF TEH PRESENCA OF AEG * SEX * GM3 EXPEREINC3 NOT ONLY WIT THROWNG DA SUP3RIOR MODAL THIS  ニンテンドー DS LIET  AS MOR3 FIRM ONES ACTUALIEZS PRAPOND3RANT SPREAD AND IS DEFEAETD!!1!!! OMG

Tongue
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 02:57:53 PM »

I like the idea of the smaller case, and I really like that the buttons have been moved (power is off the front surface and the select/start buttons were moved), but how does it feel when you play it? I'll have to play a demo system somewhere before I make the purchase.

One could argue that Nintendo should have released this version to begin with (the GBA was out for years before the micro showed up) but maybe they needed more sales to justify this design (IDFK).

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »

And a price tag of $170 bucks

That's PSP range!

Looks nice, if it is closer to pocketable, I may eventually grab one.  Nintendo's handhelds are always so much nicer on the second revision, pays to wait, plus a much bigger library.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 04:26:11 PM »

nd more of a jumble of words that in theory might be the English language. biggrin

In the ESL business we call that "word salad"!
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 04:28:07 PM »

Well I'm slightly glad I didn't buy one a couple weeks ago now.  I'll hold off to try the DS Lite but depending on how it feels, may get the old one (which will assuredly be cheaper then too, right?)

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 04:47:01 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"

There were rumors that there would be a cell-phone type of DS as well, with Nokia pretty much abandoning the N-gage there really aren't any other alternatives.
Having pretty much stopped gaming on my n-gage I'd love to see a phone DS.
Then again there are also rumors that Elvis is still alive and that Bush really believes in world peace.
So it's hard to really believe everything you hear.

Psst.... check out which website is hosting those specs....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 06:44:47 PM »

Well, I grabbed from CNN Money (via my phone, so I have no link), that said that the new DS will be 2/3rds the size of the original DS, and 20% lighter. Based on the wording of the article, it sounds like a Nintendo PR piece, so I'm guessing the stated numbers up top are pretty accurate.

Too bad they're doing this now though - my brother got a DS for Christmas. Odds are this is gonna piss him off.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 07:52:13 PM »

Article at 1up.com said the Japanese price was about $145.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 08:58:51 PM »

SONOFABITCH.

I bought one last week.

FUCKERS.

gellar
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 09:29:43 PM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
In the ESL business we call that "word salad"!

"Word salad" is also a term you'll hear in the mental health professions.

As far as the new DS goes, I like it.  I'm less than thrilled with the timing of the announcemnt as I just got one for Christmas and have an irrational desire for the newest and shiniest, but I can live with it.  Mine plays the games, and that's all that really matters.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 01:15:25 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
As far as the new DS goes, I like it.  I'm less than thrilled with the timing of the announcemnt as I just got one for Christmas and have an irrational desire for the newest and shiniest, but I can live with it.  Mine plays the games, and that's all that really matters.

But it doesn't play them at the best brightness available. And in the smallest possible console. How will you live with yourself then? biggrin

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 01:39:17 AM »

I'm glad I held off on buying one for me and my little sister.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 03:27:43 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

But it doesn't play them at the best brightness available. And in the smallest possible console. How will you live with yourself then? biggrin

I won't.  Myself just informed me that he's leaving for another guy.  One that can give him all shiny gadgets I can't provide.  After all we've been through... crybaby

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 04:31:05 AM »

So where did the power button move to?

It's always nice to have the newest version, especially if it's smaller and lighter.  I'm currently on a mission to save money,  frown  so I'll have to be content with the 1.0 version until it kicks the bucket.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 04:59:41 AM »

I want one. I want the money for one too.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 01:28:08 PM »

I want one but I have a flight on Monday morning that I want it for.  I hope it releases by Saturday. Tongue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 04:57:02 PM »

Quote from: "Austin"
I want one but I have a flight on Monday morning that I want it for.  I hope it releases by Saturday. Tongue

Yeah I bought mine for a flight next week... I gotta say I like the little thing.

gellar
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 05:21:52 PM »

I like the size of the current DS model just fine, but I agree that it could use a slight reduction in weight for longer gameplay sessions.  I have arthritis, so holding the DS for long actually does cause legitimate pain in my hands due to the weight of it (the GBA in comparison is perfect in weight), but most particularly the weight distribution towards the top screen.

The game this affects me most with is Mario Kart, followed by Mario & Luigi.  Stylus-based games can be played where I can put the unit down on a desk or table at times.

I'd really rather not dish out the cash to buy another DS just yet though.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2006, 05:41:12 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"

Yeah I bought mine for a flight next week... I gotta say I like the little thing.

gellar

What games did you pick up for it?

Edit: and did you decide to go for 1st class on this one?  slywink
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 07:39:23 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"

gellar

What games did you pick up for it?

Edit: and did you decide to go for 1st class on this one?  slywink

Right now just the Mario Kart bundle.  When I get off my lazy ass and go to the store, I'll buy FF IV and Advance Wars: DS.  Maybe even that Fire Emblem game everyone is raving about.

And I called United.  They want $1500 round trip (or a small army of my FF miles) to bump me to business class.  I'm sure I can do better trying to upgrade at the gate.  I mean shit, who flies to London from SFO the day before the Superbowl?

gellar
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2006, 02:56:11 AM »

The report I read said that compatibility with GBA games is still unknown. Maybe with the smaller size they can't fit the old cartridges anymore? I bet they will still be compatible. Would be a very stupid move if not.

I'll be happy to stick with my old one regardless. I have big hands. Smaller gadgets aren't always good for them.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 04:02:12 PM »

It has to have a GBA slot being that there are DS games that use the damn thing. Can't have rumble without it!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 04:51:46 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"

I'd really rather not dish out the cash to buy another DS just yet though.

Right! But mostly because we still have to buy our SPs for the GBA compat hookups slywink

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: