http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 08:44:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting rumors on the Revolutions "revolution"  (Read 1648 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2005, 02:25:39 AM »

http://brokensaints.com/blog/

Checkout the above link, as it states it's merely specualtion based on who they know, what they actually DO know, and people they've talked to.

Of course none of it's confirmed, but anyone of those sound interesting and a combination of them would definately be something new, whether it could be successful or not is beyond me.

I don't know what to think of stereoscopic imaging, or whatever the heck it's called. Sure it might work for movies, but I think it'd look too gimmicky for gaming.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 02:32:21 AM »

I don't know what to think of stereoscopic imaging, or whatever the heck it's called. Sure it might work for movies, but I think it'd look too gimmicky for gaming.

I think it would be a lot less gimmicky than touchscreen, gyro, etc.  I haven't personally experienced the new 3D technology they are pushing for movies but its supposed to be a huge upgrade from what most of us are familiar with.  I think it could be pretty fantastic in gaming.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:33:44 AM »

-The gyroscope would be awesome, as the GBA games that have used it have been a lot of fun.  Imagine playing something like Super Monkey Balls or Mercury with a gyrocontroller.

-Wireless is already confirmed, as demonstrated by the press release from Broadcom I posted last week.

-The touchscreen has the potential to be cool, as long as it doesn't end up being 'the entire controller' as some other rumors have speculated.

-Wasn't the Virtua Boy stereoscopic?  Sounds too gimmicky to be useful, but then again Paper Mario + steroscopic would be incredible smile

-Animal Crossing 2 had better be a launch game, and had better use every single one of these little control inputs....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 02:35:59 AM »

Wanted to add this, I did more research on stereoscopic and it sound too good to be true. Here's a quote about Kodak at last years GDC:

"Kodak's Stereoscopic Imaging Display system maintains full image resolution and creates a very wide field of view. The display brings a new level of realism to the 3D visual experience, capitalizing on Kodak's extensive research and development."

The key is the first sentence because it relates directly to a Nintendo patent regarding how games are viewed and how they will change the field of view.

Also, I at first thought that you would have to wear some bulky headgear for this to work, but everything points to sunglass like eyewear.

What's next a glove that you use to control your games? :twisted:  :wink:

Also, back to the above link, it looks like almost all the functionality will be optional to developers. So they can choose to make new games that use all these neat sounding things. That kind of bothers me, because what incentive will a company have to make games that support the functions unless the revolution sells a billion units?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 03:06:55 AM »

Ugh....stereoscopic pictures?  What do they want to do, make us sick?  If the update or refresh between the two is just a little off, you end up with motion sick players.  This is why most VR headsets fail for people.  

(Add on top of that, I don't see with any depth percepton, the effect is wasted on me.)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 03:36:42 AM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
(Add on top of that, I don't see with any depth percepton, the effect is wasted on me.)

Same here.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 03:38:38 AM »

They've lost it.

How about more games, less tricks?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 06:32:27 AM »

No depth vision here either.

They're smoking something over there, and it must be some amazing shit.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 10:23:37 AM »

Wait, you guys have to explain the lack of depth perception(depth vision? what's the difference)... I thought something like that was rare.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 11:25:24 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Wait, you guys have to explain the lack of depth perception(depth vision? what's the difference)... I thought something like that was rare.

I had an issue with a lazy eye until I was ten.  The eye muscles were adjusted to bring it back in line, but I never grew up using both my eyes together, instead focusing on one eye or the other.  I have learned to read shadows and how objects pass in front of others to judge distances.  It works okay in real life, as I can play tennis, raquetball, and fencing without issues.  But in situations where the depth is simulated, the simulation is lost on me.   First, the images don't merge properly.  Second, I cant move around to judge object positions when it is being projected right on to my eyes, or its a large static image on a screen.  So I just see a large red/blue mess that ends up giving me a headache.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 11:42:13 AM »

And I was born without a left eye.  So, I've lived with seeing out of only one eye for my whole life.  I can see depth because I've grown up like this, but I am unable to see any 3D movie the way it should be seen nor do I see depth the way a normal person with two eyes can.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 03:38:27 PM »

Depth Perception is the skill that separates brown-nosers from shit-heads. slywink

As to the two above, I don't think the above statement applies; their respective circumstances are medical in nature.

FTR I don't fall in either category. I'm in the Bastard column, along with Knightshade. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 07:08:41 PM »

I had an issue with a lazy eye until I was ten.  The eye muscles were adjusted to bring it back in line, but I never grew up using both my eyes together, instead focusing on one eye or the other.  I have learned to read shadows and how objects pass in front of others to judge distances.  It works okay in real life, as I can play tennis, raquetball, and fencing without issues.  But in situations where the depth is simulated, the simulation is lost on me.   First, the images don't merge properly.  Second, I cant move around to judge object positions when it is being projected right on to my eyes, or its a large static image on a screen.  So I just see a large red/blue mess that ends up giving me a headache.

Wow, EXACTLY the same situation here... Creepy!  :shock:
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 07:11:23 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"

Wow, EXACTLY the same situation here... Creepy!  :shock:
 The good news is that we caught it with my daughter when she was young.  Hopefully she will not have the same problem.  Of course, it's still passed down, so it doesn't mean her children won't have it. :/

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 12:30:20 AM »

So, would this style of 3D be achieved through polarized images and glasses? If so, would a person be able to watch someone else play a game, or would the screen be garbled without a pair of polarized glasses?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 01:52:11 AM »

The good news is that we caught it with my daughter when she was young.  Hopefully she will not have the same problem.  Of course, it's still passed down, so it doesn't mean her children won't have it. :/

I've got the same lazy eye, no depth perception thing. Lots of us here it seems smile In my family, it switches sexes each generation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: