http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 09:43:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Call from EB I Got on Friday (360 related)  (Read 1923 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2005, 03:53:49 PM »

It was from one of the employees I don't know, so this may be total BS.  Anyway, he called me to let me know I need to pre-order my Xbox 360 games and accessories because there will be limited quantities available of each.

When I go in today to put money down for Burnout (if the weather isn't too bad that is) I'll ask the guy (if he's there) if he can give me an accurate launch day release list of games before I pre-order any.  I want to get PGR3, but that is sounding increasingly like it will not be out at launch.  Outside of Perfect Dark Zero, Madden 06, Kameo and NFS: Most Wanted I don't know what else will be out on launch day for sure.

I call BS on this one in order to get pre-orders now.  The number of pre-orders would directly affect the number of each title they order.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 04:32:19 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
When I go in today to put money down for Burnout (if the weather isn't too bad that is) I'll ask the guy (if he's there) if he can give me an accurate launch day release list of games before I pre-order any.

How about just an accurate launch day?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 05:24:09 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I call BS on this one in order to get pre-orders now.  The number of pre-orders would directly affect the number of each title they order.

This is simply a way for the store to inflate their numbers and their profit.

On the flip side though, how many copies they order into the store is directly related to how many preorders they get. Unfortunate, but true, to a point (as all stores unless they're stupid will have copies of games available to buy at launch).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 05:28:30 PM »

I pre-ordered all my accessories and Oblivion. I just wanted to make sure I got everything I wanted at launch. The store Manager told me he would bundle everything up so that I could just come in on launch day (midnight) and pick it up. No hassles, I like that!

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 09:09:41 PM »

I have my system and Oblivion paid off. Thank goodness.

Guess I'll go down and put some more money down on a couple more games...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 09:42:32 PM »

What accessories did you preorder?  As long as I have 1 controller, and the hdtv cables are included, I'm good (and of course Oblivion preordered).
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 12:07:55 AM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
I pre-ordered all my accessories and Oblivion. I just wanted to make sure I got everything I wanted at launch. The store Manager told me he would bundle everything up so that I could just come in on launch day (midnight) and pick it up. No hassles, I like that!

Well, have fun picking it up possibly at midnight on Black Friday (something I highly doubt they'll pull, but who knows).  So, hopefully you aren't going out of town or anything for Thanksgiving.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 12:10:15 AM »

I pre-ordered at EBGames:

Premium System $399
Oblivion
Wirless Network Adapter
A 2nd Wireless Controller
A rechargeable Battery
The play and charge kit

I will be here for Thanksgiving, and the EB Games is 1 mile from my house.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 02:27:51 AM »

Shit I still haven't preordered. I wish I knew for sure where I was going to live, I don't want to miss out on a system the first week.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 05:43:19 AM »

Games are generally not the issue on launch day, though specialty stores like EB and GameStop are likely to run out of the more popular titles.  You could probably find them if you feel like visiting more than one store, but given that one reason to pre-order is to simplify the whole process you might as well pre-order games you intend to get.

As for accessories, those can be hard to find around system launches.  Extra controllers are always rare and I would think that will also be the case with X360.  That Play and Charge kit will also probably be scarce because most people seem to be assuming it comes with the $399 package when it does not.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 02:16:48 PM »

The manager (who I know) called me on Saturday to explain things further (I was out of town).  He basically said I needed to put my pre-orders down (just $5 for each) for accessories and games by yesterday because he had to make his request for copies today (Monday).

Needless to say I didn't get a chance to go, but I'm not feeling too bad about it.  To be honest I would have probably walked in and said, "Can you give me an accurate list of games that will be out on November 22nd?" and "Will PGR3 be out on that day?"  Chances are they have a somewhat accurate list (Quake IV, Madden 06, NFS: Most Wanted, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 2, etc.) but they don't have a fully accurate list.  PGR3 is the game I most want, but it may not be there on that day.  I'm also still interested whether or not $59.99 is the actual 3rd party price for games or not (Microsoft produced games are running $49.99), somethat that has not been discussed as far as I know.

I also figure since I already have the system reserved I could go to Best Buy or Target on release day to pick up games where there aren't any reservations and then later go and pick up my system.

Anyway, I'm really not liking how this pre-order stuff is going.  To me they need an accurate list of what will be out on that day before they are required to make a request for number of copies, but maybe that is just me.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 04:16:08 PM »

When I went into Gamestop last week they told me if I didn't put down $5 on the games/accessories that I wanted I would only have the Xbox 360 on the 22nd and no games to play. They said the games etc would be in very tight allocation.

I put $5 down on DOA4 and Madden 360 and also an extra wireless controller, since I KNOW that controllers will be impossible to find on launch day. They always are.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 04:54:45 PM »

I just didn't have the time to go down there...anyway, I like my chances better at Target or Best Buy (or even Toys 'R Us) to be honest simply because most people that would line up will be going after the system, while I am there simply for the games and accessories.

I'm willing to bet the major games will have plenty of copies to buy, but who knows.  Like I said, before they even start the ordering process we should have a final list of games actually out on Day 1 so we can make an informed choice.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 05:15:24 PM »

Until MS announces shipping numbers I'm skeptical of any EB and Gamestop shortage claims and think they are just trying to boost their preorder stats.  I seem to recall the same thing happening with the PSP until Sony announced they would ship one million units day one and all of a sudden second and third shipments "magically" got bumped up to first day.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 07:43:09 PM »

I will most likely be at a Target around 5 or 6 am. I will almost certainly walk out with a 360 and every game I want smile That was what happened with the XBox and I was very happy with it.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 01:03:18 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I will most likely be at a Target around 5 or 6 am. I will almost certainly walk out with a 360 and every game I want smile That was what happened with the XBox and I was very happy with it.

Heh, you keep telling yourself that!  :wink:

I thought the same way you did, until the PS2 launch.  I got to Best Buy at 9PM thinking I will just check to see if there is any line...well there was and it was already 30 people long....and this is not a big town. So I camped out all night to get it. By morning the line was all the way around the store and only the first 50 people got a PS2. I vowed....never again. So I now preorder, no matter what.

Now, I am not saying that the PS2 and Xbox 360 launches are the same, but the 360 has more in common with that launch than the Xbox.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 01:06:08 AM »

Just got this from the IGN Xbox 360 forum:

So I get a call today from my EB telling me I need to preorder a game with my XB360 or my hardware preorder gets cancelled (per Corporate request). I told the guy I didn't know what I wanted to get yet, so I want to wait for reviews. He then told me "well we'll have to cancel the preorder then."

That is just so lame. He went on with some crap excuse like there will be a shortage of extra controllers and a big shortage of games so I should preorder. When has Microsoft ever had a big shortage of software for their system?

Anyway, this made me mad, big-time. I'm heading to Best Buy to preorder it there and at least get Rewardzone points etc, and ease of return if my 360 is broken. Plus I won't get yelled at to preorder games. If EB wanted me to preorder a "bundle" (which this is), they shouldn't have let me preorder a system only.

What a crock.

:shock:

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 02:08:13 AM »

That's just obnoxious, and makes me irritated beyond reason as well.

*bleep* the forcefeeding of bundles. *bleep* it in its *bleepin* *bleep*.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 11:58:39 AM »

Sorry, but that is not coming from corporate.  That is just a manager trying to boost presales on items.  I have talked to all the managers in my old district to confirm this.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 12:06:08 PM »

IGN and a BS message board post...what a surprise! slywink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: