http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:42:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infinite Undiscovery coming September 2!  (Read 5640 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 09:26:25 PM »

Gamestop/EB is now listing 8/29 as the release date.  Other retailers still have the 9/2 date, so this is probably just an error.  However, Square Enix is releasing The Last Remnant on a Thursday for some reason, so it's possible the date has been moved up.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 09:45:09 PM »

Woohoo...will be checking with my FLGS tonight when I go pick up Too Human!  I'm reasonably stoked on this title too...And Vesperia...and Mercs 2... *sigh*

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 03:18:50 AM »

There's a new interview at IGN regarding the battle system.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2008, 08:15:40 PM »

IGN review:  7.1

I'm not a fan of IGN and I think most major review sites generally do a poor job reviewing JRPGs.  That said, lots of serious red flags in that review to me.  The comments about excessive slowdown and middling graphics are especially concerning since this is Tri-Ace.  It kind of sounds like Tri-Ace just didn't feel like putting in much effort in on this one. 
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 08:19:34 PM »

Yeah, that review is disappointing.  I was considering getting this first over Tales of Vesperia, but now I might be picking up Tales this weekend.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2008, 08:28:12 PM »

IGN reviews is to what katoku is to news.

the slowdowns have been evident, but was hoping they would be fixed or made better. i'll still play it, looks good. i hear 25-30 hours, which is good too. should be able to finish before rb2 and warhammer hits.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2008, 08:52:27 PM »

Not sure if this matters, but Shane on 1Up said if you had to only buy one JRPG on the 360, it should be Tales and not this one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »

While I don't exactly trust IGN anymore either, they do raise a few red flags with the slowdown notice and the fact that you have so many characters in your party over a relatively 'short' game. It's like the Suidoken of action-RPGs.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2008, 09:12:43 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 27, 2008, 08:52:27 PM

Not sure if this matters, but Shane on 1Up said if you had to only buy one JRPG on the 360, it should be Tales and not this one.

well they're review is going up later. maybe i'll have to change my mind then on which waits. 1up is pretty good on reviews.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2008, 09:40:37 PM »

I wish it had scored higher, but none of the things they mention really bother me.  The game looks fantastic to me, and even RPGs with only a handful of characters usually only focus on a 2 or 3 main characters.  It sounds like the story's a good one, and there has yet to be a tri-Ace game I haven't liked.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »

There's a thread at GameFAQs where someone who is playing and reviewing the game is answering questions about it.  There's some new information there that I hadn't read elsewhere.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 06:47:50 PM »

ugh, lots of time in between save points? guess i wont be playing that if i only have 2 hours.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2008, 07:00:29 PM »

From Eddie's thread:

Secondly it's more than once (now I'm about 3 hours into the game) that you don't exactly know where you're supposed to go.  You've got a number of vast areas that you can check out and if you start off in the wrong direction... ah well. It feels a bit like in FFXI when you had to run from A to B for hours.

AND THE GODDAMN LACK OF SAVEPOINTS! It's seriously annoying that games these days still rarely have on on-the-go saving option.

As for the battle system...it's highly chaotic.

All three of those are dealbreakers, imo.   Sucks, as I was really hoping for this one to be good. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »

Something really concerning in IGN's video review was that it's a hassle to constantly outfit 12 or more players in the latest gear.  That's often a big issue for me in almost any game with an excessively large cast.  So one of the things I'm most anxious to find out about is whether you have to use most of the 18 characters or if you can stick with a core group for the entire game and practically ignore everyone else. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2008, 07:06:55 PM »

combat system really looks no different the the usual Tri-Ace affair. not really sure what people were expecting there.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2008, 07:15:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 28, 2008, 07:05:01 PM

Something really concerning in IGN's video review was that it's a hassle to constantly outfit 12 or more players in the latest gear.  That's often a big issue for me in almost any game with an excessively large cast.  So one of the things I'm most anxious to find out about is whether you have to use most of the 18 characters or if you can stick with a core group for the entire game and practically ignore everyone else. 

Their written review said it's a big challenge to keep every character well-equipped, since you're never sure when you'll need them in context of the story.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »

Ah, so the story does force different characters?  It's a personal preference but I generally don't prefer games that offer a large number of playable characters, especially if they periodically force someone on your for story reasons that you haven't touched in the rest of the game.

I'll be very interested in further reviews and impressions but IU is sounding like a bargain purchase (if that) for me right now.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2008, 09:28:17 AM »

Any co-op?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 29, 2008, 09:28:17 AM

Any co-op?

pretty sure there isn't. where's all the other reviews anyways? i thought they were to be put up on wednesday.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2008, 12:30:11 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 29, 2008, 09:30:01 AM

Quote from: Turtle on August 29, 2008, 09:28:17 AM

Any co-op?

pretty sure there isn't. where's all the other reviews anyways? i thought they were to be put up on wednesday.

I heard that IGN had the exclusive and the embargo for everyone else was today so hopefully we'll see some more soon. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 28, 2008, 07:22:09 PM

I'll be very interested in further reviews and impressions but IU is sounding like a bargain purchase (if that) for me right now.

I'm thinking the same thing.  I guess I'll be picking up Vesperia instead, and hopefully it does well enough to get more games like it brought over.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2008, 07:21:34 PM »

The person who was giving out impressions of the game at GameFAQs has posted a review.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2008, 08:56:40 PM »

1Up review:  B

Made it sound a bit better though I'm still leery of managing too many playable characters. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2008, 09:00:44 PM »

The resulting combat feels a bit like a Tales game crossed with Final Fantasy XII -- a very good thing, as I love Tales' stylish swordplay and appreciated FFXII's lack of random battles, though I never did care for the latter's hands-off approach to combat. For the most part, party members follow commands pretty well -- my only complaint is that it takes a few too many button presses to sync up with them

awesome. Tales + FF12=win
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2008, 12:24:44 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 29, 2008, 08:56:40 PM

Made it sound a bit better though I'm still leery of managing too many playable characters. 

the part that does sound cool is that you need to make up secondary teams at some point.  From the IGN article:

Along the way, Capell runs into a considerable number of allies. In fact, there are 18 characters you'll be micromanaging during the course of this fairly brief adventure. Capell can only take three other characters into his own personal party, but often you can form two subsidiary parties of four members a piece. These other parties will have their own goals, though your paths may intersect while hacking and slashing through a dungeon. This means that you have to try and keep everyone's armor and weapons as updated as possible, because you can never be sure when one of the 17 other characters will be required to assist Capell or when you'll break out into multiple groups.

at least the other characters are used for something for a change.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2008, 01:11:35 AM »

I still remember the last time (that I can remember) a game tried to do that (suddenly forcing you to use party members you haven't leveled in ages) - it was Final Fantasy 3 on the SNES. To say that my other party was underpowered was an understatement. I split up my 'main crew' in the end, and that worked, but to say that it wasn't a fun time is putting it bluntly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2008, 01:28:49 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 30, 2008, 01:11:35 AM

I still remember the last time (that I can remember) a game tried to do that (suddenly forcing you to use party members you haven't leveled in ages) - it was Final Fantasy 3 on the SNES. To say that my other party was underpowered was an understatement. I split up my 'main crew' in the end, and that worked, but to say that it wasn't a fun time is putting it bluntly.

Yeah, it's kind of a pet peeve of mine- RPGs that suddenly force you late in the game to use certain characters or more of your party that you may not have been leveling before.  Final Fantasy games are pretty notorious for this though I didn't mind it so much in FF9 because the game rotated the characters itself for the most part so I wasn't forced to make the decision. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2008, 01:46:00 AM »

FF VII did it as well, and each underpowered group had to try and fight the final boss.  I spent probably 6-7 hours leveling up my 2nd team in order to beat it.   icon_evil

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2008, 03:05:03 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 30, 2008, 01:46:00 AM

FF VII did it as well, and each underpowered group had to try and fight the final boss.  I spent probably 6-7 hours leveling up my 2nd team in order to beat it.   icon_evil

As long as your characters didn't croak (or you revived them quick enough), you didn't run into that problem. I know I kept a core group of 3 pretty much the entire game. In my case though...wow, that would've been bad.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2008, 10:13:43 AM »

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7062_en.html
videos from the start. watched the first only since i saw most of it already. can't wait.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:19 AM »

There are still conflicting reports on when stores will be getting the game.  Some people got it from Gamestop already, some Gamestops say they have the game already and will start selling it Tuesday, but the game is still listed as not having shipped yet.  I didn't get the call about picking up my preorder last night, but I intend to call Gamestop this afternoon to see if it's in yet.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2008, 11:04:03 AM »

That whole non-used party members going off on their own missions thing actually sounds cool, except that I know they'll handle it in a way that'll require some grinding and micromanagement of the party.  But, at least the feature is in.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 02, 2008, 10:38:19 AM

There are still conflicting reports on when stores will be getting the game.  Some people got it from Gamestop already, some Gamestops say they have the game already and will start selling it Tuesday, but the game is still listed as not having shipped yet.  I didn't get the call about picking up my preorder last night, but I intend to call Gamestop this afternoon to see if it's in yet.

That's weird. It shipped overnight on Friday so should be in today (Tuesday).
I don't see how any stores could have gotten it yet. And if they did have it,
I don't recall the game being street dated, but I could be wrong. Normally
a street dated game would have been received early.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »

maybe they learned from Bioware and have every party member gain experience even when they are not being used.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2008, 05:35:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 02, 2008, 03:18:16 PM

maybe they learned from Bioware and have every party member gain experience even when they are not being used.

One of the things I like most about Tales of Vesperia.   thumbsup

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2008, 06:13:29 PM »

Well, I got the phone call from coke-loaded Ashley, but as I stated in my 'what are you buying' post, I won't be getting it anytime soon. Too many other fantastic games to play right now (Tales of Vesperia, Mercs 2) to grab yet another RPG that may have some questionable design decisions inside.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2008, 06:32:38 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 02, 2008, 06:13:29 PM

Well, I got the phone call from coke-loaded Ashley, but as I stated in my 'what are you buying' post, I won't be getting it anytime soon. Too many other fantastic games to play right now (Tales of Vesperia, Mercs 2) to grab yet another RPG that may have some questionable design decisions inside.

you are a deamn HEATHEN, sir.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2008, 06:34:54 PM »

Picked it up today at Best Buy though I may wait for more impressions/reviews before opening it. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »

GameInformer has posted their review, giving it two 8/10s.  They say the battle system is great, but the story is only average, although I don't put much stock in GI's RPG reviews.  There's also something that might be a spoiler in the first paragraph.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2008, 07:48:58 PM »

Agreed about the casual dropping of the spoiler.  Maybe it would be obvious but it was still unnecessary. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: