http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:06:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infinite Undiscovery coming September 2!  (Read 5633 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:09:18 PM »

Along with the news of the DQ remakes, Square Enix has also announced a release date for tri-Ace's 360 action RPG Infinite Undiscovery.  It's getting a simultaneous US/Japanese launch on September 2, only two weeks before DQ4.  icon_biggrin  There's also a new English trailer at Gametrailers showing off some gameplay and the English voice acting.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:20:24 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 08:43:57 PM »

So my guess is that it hasn't been localized and that's why the voices don't match yes?

Also, is the combat TB or RT?  So basically, is it a Shadow Hearts kind of combat or a devil may cry combat?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:47:42 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 21, 2008, 08:43:57 PM

So my guess is that it hasn't been localized and that's why the voices don't match yes?

If you're talking about lip syncing, games often don't have the budget to redo it for each territory so it's usually based on Japanese or US voices but not both. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:52:37 PM »

Or as I like to call it, generic JRPG #1,154.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:57:29 PM »

I'm not sure about the lip synching.  The voices were English, but the text was still in Japanese, so it's obviously not finished.  As for the combat, it's real-time, and tri-Ace are very good at doing real-time combat.  As you can see in the trailer, lots of different things can happen during the battle, such as a flood coming through the area, boulders raining down on the party, or having to carry a wounded teammate across the battle to safety.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 12:07:44 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 21, 2008, 08:57:29 PM

I'm not sure about the lip synching.  The voices were English, but the text was still in Japanese, so it's obviously not finished.  As for the combat, it's real-time, and tri-Ace are very good at doing real-time combat.  As you can see in the trailer, lots of different things can happen during the battle, such as a flood coming through the area, boulders raining down on the party, or having to carry a wounded teammate across the battle to safety.

Real time warrants a closer look from me. If it had been another TB JRPG, I would be out.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 01:26:52 AM »

Quote from: ATB on May 22, 2008, 12:07:44 AM

Quote from: EddieA on May 21, 2008, 08:57:29 PM

Real time warrants a closer look from me. If it had been another TB JRPG, I would be out.

Completely agree with you here on both points.  I love TB RPGs, but I hate the way JRPGs do TB (yay, I get to watch another 5 second canned animation every time I cast a spell.  I've only seen that particular one 100000 times!)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 03:37:07 AM »

the combat looks very Tales of Symphonia'ish, which reminds me I need to go back to that game.

oh, and it looks like the character is getting a bit too close to this bear  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:58:15 PM »

Really disappointed with that trailer. The voice acting and writing are terrible (even more than usual for a middling budget JRPG). Still, it's Tri-Ace, so I'm sure I'll pick it up. I love the Star Ocean/Tales combat system and this looks just as good.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 02:07:53 AM »

SquareEnix has opened the game's website with some character profiles, a bit of story, and some nice music.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 02:34:30 AM »

Gamespot has posted their E3 impressions.

Even without directly controlling the other two characters, you can still instruct them to perform special attacks. Hitting the right bumper activates the "connect" option, letting you choose between one of your two teammates. Hit the button of your selection and then you're connected to that character. Your X and Y buttons are then remapped to two connect attacks that you can direct your teammate to perform at any time. This lets you hook up some devastating combo attacks where you whack away at a foe while your ally fires up an ability.

Sounds like a nice compromise between just controlling one character and giving you control of all of them.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 05:21:28 AM »

Worthplaying has some great new screenshots.

One more month!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »

d'oh!  almost forgot about this one.  time to start saving for the fall release season.

Because I can,
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 04:19:53 PM »

Ugh..I hate the name..and the trailers hadn't done anything for me...but those screens make it look like a really nice Action RPG...

*sigh*  And my 360 needs more RPGs (Western or Japanese)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »

For some reason I'm really excited about this game.  I love RPG's already, but this seems to have the little things i look for in a great RPG nowadays.  No random battles from unseen enemies, a sort of open world look (Looks almost like an mmorpg), a different/unique battle syatem, and of course the Square brand.  Day one purchase for me.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 10:32:30 AM »

IGN has a new hands-on preview here.  3 more weeks!  icon_biggrin

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »

I just checked that out along with a short rundown of combat in the game.  I'm even more pumped now! thumbsup

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/898/898742p1.html

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 07:26:24 PM »

Why can't I get excited for this one?  I'm typically a Squeenix whore and the game looks beautiful, but for some reason I keep getting a mediocre vibe from it.  Maybe I just feel burned by Lost Odyssey, but I just can't seem to generate any interest in IU at all.  Hopefully that will change with some good reviews.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »

Pretty much right there with you, Gratch. I'm picking up the same vibe, which is why I'll wait for quite a few reviews/impressions, and base my purchasing decision on those.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 12:54:36 PM »

Just figured it out.  IU is being developed by Tri-Ace, and I have yet to like any game that they've been involved with.  Something about their style just rubs me the wrong way.  Still, if the reviews are good, I'll certainly give it a shot.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 07:04:12 AM »

Gametrailers has a nice new video preview.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 10:40:13 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 17, 2008, 07:04:12 AM

Gametrailers has a nice new video preview.

all over this day 1. looks HOT. Tales is going to have to wait until after the hectic video game season
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 01:43:17 PM »

I dunno about you, but I'm renting, and probably getting this if the rental time is good.

About damn time Square got more new games out.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 02:20:47 PM »

Holy crap that looks amazing. I've noticed quite a bit of slowdown in the trailer though. Anybody else see it?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »

Yeah, I saw a fair amount of slowdown as well.  Hopefully that won't be the case in the final version- Tri-Ace games are usually pretty rock solid in framerate. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 05:30:20 PM »

dangit, it's coming out just a few days after the new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game and Tales of Vesperia!  I may have to wait on getting it  crybaby

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 06:15:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 17, 2008, 05:30:20 PM

dangit, it's coming out just a few days after the new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game and Tales of Vesperia!  I may have to wait on getting it  crybaby

Gotta hate it when so many good games all come out within the same month or so.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »

Gotta say releasing IU and Vesperia so close together is sheer stupidity.  They should be at least a month apart. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 06:32:49 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 17, 2008, 06:15:37 PM

actually, I'm looking at 5 games that I want releasing within a 2 week period:

Tales of Vesperia
STALKER:Clear Sky
Mercenaries 2
Infinite Undiscovery
Spore

and that's just the beginning of the fall rush.  you can live fine off of one kidney, right?

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 09:11:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 17, 2008, 06:24:12 PM

Gotta say releasing IU and Vesperia so close together is sheer stupidity.  They should be at least a month apart. 

RPG releases always tend to clump for some reason.  Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Dragon Quest 4, and Sonic Chronicles (all of which I have preordered  wasted ) are all coming out in the span of a month.  Then we go back to pretty much one a month, with Star Ocean : First Departure in October, The Last Remnant in November, and Persona 4 in December. 

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »

eddie star ocean is october??? is that solid?  if so im stoked for some reason i didnt think this one was coming out until 09

(im asking about the next gen version - for all i know this could be a ps2 / handheld release - i hope not though!)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 09:49:10 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on August 17, 2008, 09:20:30 PM

eddie star ocean is october??? is that solid?  if so im stoked for some reason i didnt think this one was coming out until 09

(im asking about the next gen version - for all i know this could be a ps2 / handheld release - i hope not though!)

Star Ocean : First Departure is the PSP remake of the first game and is coming out in October.  Star Ocean : The Last Hope for 360 comes out next spring.  There's another game called Second Evolution, a remake of the second game in the series, which will probably come out sometime between FD and TLH.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2008, 11:57:38 AM »

Seriously. There's currently exactly one real-time jRPG available on 360 in the US
(Eternal Sonata) and now we get two on top of each other? Tell you the truth,
I prefer turn-based, and it's frustrating that the current trend is to try and
shoehorn real-time elements into turn-based frameworks (looking at you,
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey). Thanks, but if I wanted a real-time game
I'd play one. I do hope these games turn out awesome for those of you that
prefer the real-time action, though.

I'll be over in the corner, pining for a sequel to Enchanted Arms.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 12:38:24 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 18, 2008, 11:57:38 AM

Seriously. There's currently exactly one real-time jRPG available on 360 in the US
(Eternal Sonata) and now we get two on top of each other? Tell you the truth,
I prefer turn-based, and it's frustrating that the current trend is to try and
shoehorn real-time elements into turn-based frameworks (looking at you,
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey). Thanks, but if I wanted a real-time game
I'd play one. I do hope these games turn out awesome for those of you that
prefer the real-time action, though.

I'll be over in the corner, pining for a sequel to Enchanted Arms.

In their defense, IU developer Tri-Ace has predominantly used real time systems and the Tales series has also been real time so neither is attempting to be trendy. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 18, 2008, 11:57:38 AM

(Eternal Sonata)

I thought ES was still kind of turnbased-  i.e. you run around and beat on your non-moving enemies before a timer runs out and then they get their turn during which you cannot move either, or am I thinking of a different game?

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 02:59:46 PM »

Lost Odyssey isn't RT JRPG ... you mean the rings attack? You don't have to use it; it doesn't take away from the game. It is a turn-based game through and through.

In a real-time JRPG if you put down the controller (without pausing) and make yourself a sammich, you lose. LO doesn't do that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 03:13:27 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 18, 2008, 02:59:46 PM

Lost Odyssey isn't RT JRPG ... you mean the rings attack? You don't have to use it; it doesn't take away from the game. It is a turn-based game through and through.

In a real-time JRPG if you put down the controller (without pausing) and make yourself a sammich, you lose. LO doesn't do that.

Also, in the Tales series, they have always offered a Auto, Semi-Auto, Manual option, usually set using the Select/Back button.  You can grind most basic fights in Tales on auto, while making a sammich.  Now, boss fights might still need help byt telling characters when to use Gels and Life Bottles.  I've not delved enough in the Vesperia demo to see how the auto-use of items works yet, and it is so close..I'll prolly not bother and just wait for the full game.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 04:18:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 17, 2008, 06:32:49 PM

Quote from: Destructor on August 17, 2008, 06:15:37 PM

actually, I'm looking at 5 games that I want releasing within a 2 week period:

Tales of Vesperia
STALKER:Clear Sky
Mercenaries 2
Infinite Undiscovery
Spore

and that's just the beginning of the fall rush.  you can live fine off of one kidney, right?

Now STALKER is September 5th... looks like this might not be a day one purchase anymore unless it's on the short side.

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 11:12:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 18, 2008, 02:55:38 PM

I thought ES was still kind of turnbased-  i.e. you run around and beat on your non-moving enemies before a timer runs out and then they get their turn during which you cannot move either, or am I thinking of a different game?

It begins as a strictly turn-based game and becomes progressively more real-time
as the game progresses. You're correct that your foes don't move together with you,
but I still place it far more towards the real-time side of things than EA, BD, LO.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 18, 2008, 02:59:46 PM

Yes, my point was that it, like Blue Dragon, uses some timed button press mechanics
within a turn-based system. Don't like it, don't want it. But that's just me.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: