http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:51:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infinite Undiscoveries (360) Impressions  (Read 9635 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2008, 12:51:36 AM »

Here are very early and limited impressions, mostly I posted to make a place for others to pile on!

Well, it is exciting, no doubt about that!  I just managed to flee from the stupid Ogre and get outside at last, hopefully it will be a little easier in the Forest, at least until I can figure out the controls. So far, I find them to be rather confusing, so I'm taking the save-often approach while trying different things.  I haven't managed to successfully pull off one of those Connection moves yet, at least not on purpose.

The manual is a little help, but like most manuals, it doesn't explain everything by a long shot.  The tutorial is nearly useless, because the print that tells you what to do is minuscule.  I may try it on a different TV tomorrow, but I've tried various settings on this one, and can still only read half the print.  Of course I could stand in front of it to read, but I play console games because of the couch.  Oh well.

One thing that stands out is the camera Options.  If you're a camera-control freak like I am, I think you'll be happy with the choices.  For one, you can invert everything, and you can center the camera with LB.  There are also camera speed adjustments, though I haven't tried those yet.

Voice acting is so-so, IMO - it doesn't annoy me, but it doesn't stand out either.

The opening scene graphics are gorgeous, but the in-game graphics aren't great - okay, but not super. 

Still, I'm having fun, and that's the point - so - back to the game!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 12:54:47 AM »

WTF AMAZON GET OFF YOUR ASSES!!! ugh. if it wasn't for the foil bonus. /shakes fist

from the vids I've seen I like the VA. Aya especially well done I think. Seems if you like previous tri-ace games you should dig this. At least that's what im reading all over. I'm glad I took the chance and didn't let the reviewers make the decision. It was hard to resist getting ToV though.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 01:17:11 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 03, 2008, 12:51:36 AM

Here are very early and limited impressions, mostly I posted to make a place for others to pile on!

Well, it is exciting, no doubt about that!  I just managed to flee from the stupid Ogre and get outside at last, hopefully it will be a little easier in the Forest, at least until I can figure out the controls. So far, I find them to be rather confusing, so I'm taking the save-often approach while trying different things.  I haven't managed to successfully pull off one of those Connection moves yet, at least not on purpose.

The manual is a little help, but like most manuals, it doesn't explain everything by a long shot.  The tutorial is nearly useless, because the print that tells you what to do is minuscule.  I may try it on a different TV tomorrow, but I've tried various settings on this one, and can still only read half the print.  Of course I could stand in front of it to read, but I play console games because of the couch.  Oh well.

One thing that stands out is the camera Options.  If you're a camera-control freak like I am, I think you'll be happy with the choices.  For one, you can invert everything, and you can center the camera with LB.  There are also camera speed adjustments, though I haven't tried those yet.

Voice acting is so-so, IMO - it doesn't annoy me, but it doesn't stand out either.

The opening scene graphics are gorgeous, but the in-game graphics aren't great - okay, but not super. 

Still, I'm having fun, and that's the point - so - back to the game!   nod

I thought the game was called Infinite Undiscovery?   icon_confused

Tongue

I'll probably get this within the next month or so...
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 01:22:35 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 03, 2008, 12:54:47 AM

WTF AMAZON GET OFF YOUR ASSES!!! ugh. if it wasn't for the foil bonus. /shakes fist

from the vids I've seen I like the VA. Aya especially well done I think. Seems if you like previous tri-ace games you should dig this. At least that's what im reading all over. I'm glad I took the chance and didn't let the reviewers make the decision. It was hard to resist getting ToV though.

Dude, I just got my Tales of Vesperia pre-order today from Amazon. Good luck.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 01:27:06 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 03, 2008, 01:22:35 AM

I'm an Amazon fanboy, and I buy a LOT of stuff from them throughout the year, but man, when it comes to new game releases, they kind of suck. I'm always reluctant to pre-order hot A-list titles from them because I know it's going to take a few extra days.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 01:38:03 AM »

well the dates says the 4th. was hoping to get it the 3rd with prime. gah.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:41:57 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 03, 2008, 01:27:06 AM

I'm an Amazon fanboy, and I buy a LOT of stuff from them throughout the year, but man, when it comes to new game releases, they kind of suck. I'm always reluctant to pre-order hot A-list titles from them because I know it's going to take a few extra days.

Agreed.  However it looks like Amazon recognizes that deficiency- they just recently announced release day delivery for some AAA games this fall (I know Fable 2 is one of them) and hopefully that will lead to them offering it for all of their videogames.  Frankly, if they did release day delivery for everything, I think my days of picking up new releases in brick and mortar stores would be over. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:54:07 AM »

I pretty much agree with mytocles - the graphics aren't great (although the characters are nicely expressive), but the game is just plain fun to play.  I had only intended to play for about 30 minutes, but ended up playing for almost an hour and a half because I was enjoying it so much.  The combat is fun and fast, and there looks to be some depth to it.  Different combos do different things, like restoring your HP, MP, and action points, and the connect system looks like it will make handling multiple characters easy.  There were a bunch of neat little touches, like being able to sneak up or shoot guards to get some suprise attack bonuses, or the minimap going fuzzy when you're in the dark.  I also liked it when I picked up some rotten fruit off the ground and got the "Stinky" status effect, causing enemies near me to attack and messing up my attempt to sneak up on a nearby guard.  If the rest of the game keeps up with these neat little touches, it will be a lot of fun to explore.

One little tip - If you're looking for an easy achievement, go back into the prison after you escape and blow up the remaining barrels for 15 G.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:55:35 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 03, 2008, 01:41:57 AM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 03, 2008, 01:27:06 AM

Agreed.  However it looks like Amazon recognizes that deficiency- they just recently announced release day delivery for some AAA games this fall (I know Fable 2 is one of them) and hopefully that will lead to them offering it for all of their videogames.  Frankly, if they did release day delivery for everything, I think my days of picking up new releases in brick and mortar stores would be over. 

Yep, same here. I'm aware of the release-day delivery plan they have, and I have Fable 2 pre-ordered through them on that deal, and I'm teetering on a Force Unleashed purchase as well. Let's hope it works out. It would be a helluva good thing.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 02:21:15 AM »

Wow, the impressions you guys have seem pretty much opposite of the Gamespot review.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 02:48:00 AM »

Don't make me do this!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:56:54 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 03, 2008, 02:21:15 AM

Wow, the impressions you guys have seem pretty much opposite of the Gamespot review.

Oh, there is plenty wrong with the game, lol... but it's still fun to play.

The lack of save points, some of the voices, the somewhat cheesy graphics (for the 360) and other faults will drive some people crazy, for sure.  My bottom line though is - I'm still playing it and still having fun.

I suspect that folks who normally play JRPG's will feel more at home with it than others, although it isn't turn-based, so maybe not.  It's not even my normal cup o' tea - too kiddie-ish or something - but it seems to be compelling me to continue with it.  And that's a Good Thing!   icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 03:27:52 AM »

After I read the Gamespot review, I was pretty down on the game, but after what you guys said, I think I'll give it a chance.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 03:43:42 AM »

Quote from: Devil on September 03, 2008, 02:48:00 AM

Don't make me do this!!!

are you going to be infinitely IN??????

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 03:55:32 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 03, 2008, 03:27:52 AM

After I read the Gamespot review, I was pretty down on the game, but after what you guys said, I think I'll give it a chance.

Uh-oh, lol. Don't go by me, I'm no expert... Dreamshadow promised impressions soon - given the mediocre reviews this got, you might want to wait for them!

I finally realized what this game reminds me of - the offline version of the Cube game, Phantasy Star Online.  If you liked that, you may like this, but if you hated that, then save your $60.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 08:38:56 AM »

And the joke is on me. I just opened the Amazon package and it is something else that was ordered.
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »

I've been keeping track of this game, trying to decide between it and Tales (although no doubt I'll have both down the road).  This one sounds more interesting, but the reviews have been all over the place.  I listened to the IGN review (I believe it was), and he spent 5 minutes bashing the game, talking about how bad it was.  Then at the end says "Still, I'd recommend it, and found myself enjoying it."

Weird.

So yeah, I'll watch these impressions, and try to ignore the reviews.  Hopefully it's better than reviewers are giving it credit for.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 09:22:09 PM »

Okay, here's my impressions after about three hours of play.

At this point, I could care less about the story.  I don't know if it is the lack of lip synching, the voices, or something else...but I'm at the point where I'm skipping the cutscenes.  The gameplay is nice and much like the art direction, I'm getting a Dynasty Warriors feel from this. Not so much the game play, but the costumes and art direction really felt like someone is borrowing from classic asian styles.  The gameplay is hack and slash and I'm enjoying that part.  The thing that is making it hard is that I don't want to sit through the cutscenes, but that's where you get ALL your info on what you need to do next.  This has basically left me in the dark in a few areas in the initial Castle you are assaulting.

The system isn't exactly straightforward, but at least I have had no problems reading the tutorial screens (I'm using a 22" LCD display with the VGA adapter, so I'm basically at HD resolutions).  I'm not going to knock the graphic choices yet in terms of detail, etc, because the only slowdown I've seen is when I'm pulling off super combo moves...which means the slowdown is intentional.  I'm really mixed on this title right now, but I'm going to push through to 10 hours for sure.  It is ambitious, and not bad...  I'm just not connecting with it like I am on Tales and Too Human...

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on September 03, 2008, 09:22:09 PM

At this point, I could care less about the story.

ugh, this annoys me. it's i couldn't care less. a negative. sorry just bugs me.

The story sounds a little out there. So i guess i can see where you're coming from. i mean chaining the moon? Even I love JRPG for their stories and think this is sorta weird.

I emailed amazon about IU. got some interesting info. apparently they got so many orders(or not enough games) that some of the orders are backed order! luckily mine isn't one of them. but damn that's crazy. sounds like this game is well on it's way to selling.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 03, 2008, 09:27:42 PM

Huh.  It's Ugh, this annoys me.  It's "I couldn't care less."  A negative. [Incomplete sentence.]  Sorry, just bugs me. [Again.  See me after forum class.]

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 12:16:01 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 03, 2008, 09:41:57 PM

Huh.  It's Ugh, this annoys me.  It's "I couldn't care less."  A negative. [Incomplete sentence.]  Sorry, just bugs me. [Again.  See me after forum class.]

oh no, not capitalization!!

also it should be huh? as in a question. so gg to you.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 12:46:57 AM »

The story sounds a little out there. So i guess i can see where you're coming from. i mean chaining the moon? Even I love JRPG for their stories and think this is sorta weird.

I emailed amazon about IU. got some interesting info. apparently they got so many orders(or not enough games) that some of the orders are backed order! luckily mine isn't one of them. but damn that's crazy. sounds like this game is well on it's way to selling.

I don't mind some nitpicking on my posts. I am not the best writer when I just sit and write. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 01:17:48 AM »

capitalization is a lot less important than grammar
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 01:41:56 AM »

CeeKay:
It would mean that I'd be IN..finitely  icon_biggrin

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 02:32:39 AM »

Played a little more this afternoon along with some more of Tales of Vesperia (just defeated Goliath).

I'm prolly a little biased towards Tales, but Tales seems to have more personality and style than IU.  It's an okay game, and doesn't suffer as badly as Too Human in the 'undesribed features' dept. but I really wonder if I'm even going to make 10 hours.  Part of the problem is the protagonist... This is one time I wish the protagonist was silent/undefined.  Right now he's pretty much a spineless twit that is going along because other people are making him, or he feels that he has to...  This may change later on in the story, but right now, every cutscene and dialog is making me cringe.  Granted, I'm barely in the story,and here's to hoping the scenarios continue to be interesting.  I liked storming the castle and working through the traps, the controls are somewhat responsive (I'm still not quite getting the 'connect' systems in some cases), and the graphics are balanced between detail and NO LOADING. smile  I do not believe I saw a Now Loading until I got to the scene and boss fight at the first castle. This is good.  The game is sacrificing some detail to give us really big scenario areas and smooth transitions.  Much like FFXII, I'm liking the somewhat MMO feel of the zones and combat.  They haven't gone completely wrong in that sense at all.

Verdict:  I'm still slogging through, but I'm still not a total cheerleader for the game.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 03:26:21 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 04, 2008, 12:16:01 AM

oh no, not capitalization!!

also it should be huh? as in a question. so gg to you.

Actually, it wasn't a question.

And there were grammar errors, too.

Mostly, I was just being a goof, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 07:23:40 PM »

A lot of people are on the fence about this game;  it seems to be a love-it or hate-it game, so to help you decide about it, I'm playing the game now, and recording more impressions as I play.

Voices - about half are fine, half are annoying, and a few are so annoying, you want to turn the volume down (Balbagan is one.) Two of the voices were bugging me just because they sounded like someone and I couldn't quite pin it down.  If you have the game, think Tom Cruise when Capell talks, and Data from Star Trek when Eugene speaks.  icon_razz

Going by various forums, I see that the miniscule subtitles are bothering a lot of people with non-HD TV's.  It is driving me crazy - short trip, I know! - almost everything that appears in print is ridiculously hard to read, and sometimes impossible.  That's on a 32-inch Sony Wega, non-HD.  Tinkering with the brightness, sharpness, etc. makes little difference. Bear in mind this includes not just the tutorials and sub-titles, but also every word in the menus, and the XP and gold amounts shown after killing a mob, as well as milestones like "Title Changes," and item acquisition (I just got "a gold such-and-such." Couldn't read it, can't find it in my inventory, though I know it's there, lol.)  I can't tell how many potions I have left, or what equipment I have - or even what level I am half the time.  Sometimes going to Status or Equipment menus reveals the info, but only if there is a dark background to view it against.

As I said before, graphics are so-so, but the gameplay,though flawed, is still compelling. Load times are excellent, even when re-loading a former save when you're getting your head handed to you in a tough area.

A particular annoyance is that you must sheath a weapon to examine, operate, or pick up something else.  Very mild spoiler as an example, re: Castle Prevant:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Catapult scene was horrid, because you had to use your sword to kill enemies, then sheath it operate the Catapult... back and forth, back and forth, getting shot while doing so. But, as Squeenix often provides, there was a save point just prior to that difficult scene.  Even I was able to manage it on my third attempt, although I couldn't get the Achievement there, because I gave up trying to kill mobs with the Catapult, and just went straight to bashing the doors in.

Another bad thing is that you must "Connect" with a player to use their skills - they will randomly use them, but if you aren't Connected, you can't choose which they will do.  I think they could have just allowed you to switch players on the fly to solve that.  I don't think you can switch Party Leaders, though you can switch members in and out.

The synthing (Item Creation) is not the easiest to do, IMO.  You have to be Connected to another party member - apparently Capell has no skills, lol. When in town, you have to find the person you want, they're not all in one place (though it's not hard to find them in the first town.)  It's easier when you are in the field, except that you need a safe place to do the Item Creation, since there is no stopped time except for Pause, so enemies can sneak up on you while you're fiddling with menus.  You can see recipes when you are synthing, but without HD TV, you can't read out the grayed ones (stuff you can make, but don't have the items yet). Still, I was able to create quite a few things that helps allay the cost of outfitting all your characters.

I said the cameras were great - but I found there is one major failing.  I set the cameras for what I like, but when I attempt to aim arrows, suddenly it's backwards.  I've gone around that by only using arrows from a distance when no one is attacking me, but it was a problem with the Catapult also, with no way around that.  Probably this won't bother most players, I suspect.

Refilling HP isn't too bad, but the system for getting MP back up could be a real drawback, at least up to the point I am in the game.  There are a few people that can refill your HP and MP, but they are in towns or entrances to castles, and you can get pretty far away from them.  After that, to regain MP, you must do damage to an enemy while it is on the ground... so you need to land a combo attack that will either knock them down, or flip them in the air so they land on the ground, then you have about a second to wail on it.  You can choose a mode of attack for your party, called Save MP, but then their offensive spells are out also.

I'm still figuring out a lot of the complexities of the game; like most games, it's easier and easier to play the more you figure out. For me, the $60 was well worth it, although I wish the flaws didn't interfere with gameplay, of course.  I'm having a blast playing it, and have found ways around most of the flaws (well, except for buying an HD TV, which I may yet, lol.) If you are someone who needs a game guide (like I usually do, and wish I had now!) beware the fact that the game guides aren't being released until mid-September.  If you are stuck, you have to work your own way out, or browse forums for hours.  Google helps occasionally, but there is a lot of info in the forums that it doesn't pick up on.

I'm sure there is more I love or hate about the game, but that's most of it for now, lol.  Back to just playing!  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 07:33:55 PM »

Ha  smile  You just did what I talked about earlier.  Reading your post, I'm thinking "he doesn't like it", then get to the bottom  smile

Good to hear though.  I'm leaning toward this one over Tales, because of it's shorter (60 hour games are tough for me now).  Characters look more interesting too.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »

Thanks myto!!

That sealed it for me!

IN!

But waiting....

If you are someone who needs a game guide (like I usually do, and wish I had now!) beware the fact that the game guides aren't being released until mid-September.

Thanks!

For a guy who doesn't really like RPGs, I'll be grabbing 2 within a few weeks (this and ToV).

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 07:58:16 PM »

Quote from: TheGameAh on September 04, 2008, 07:33:55 PM

Ha  smile  You just did what I talked about earlier.  Reading your post, I'm thinking "he doesn't like it", then get to the bottom  smile

Good to hear though.  I'm leaning toward this one over Tales, because of it's shorter (60 hour games are tough for me now).  Characters look more interesting too.

I definitely love the game, which actually makes it more jarring to be unable to read my inventory, but I'll live with that because I like the game so much.  It probably would have been a 8.5 or 9 out of 10 for me, if only the print wasn't so darn small.  mad

Btw, I'm a "she" - thought I'd say that before Purge made fun of you for not knowing that. You probably never said anything sexist - or at least not anything I saw, or you would have already known that, lol.  icon_twisted

Yay, Devil is IN! LMAO!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 08:22:13 PM »

I have 50 posts  smile  Still pretty anonymous.  Long time reader, maybe even some people remember my name from posts at OO years ago.  smile

But nah, no sexist comments from me.

Is the story pretty good so far?
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 09:25:20 PM »

Quote from: TheGameAh on September 04, 2008, 08:22:13 PM

I have 50 posts  smile  Still pretty anonymous.  Long time reader, maybe even some people remember my name from posts at OO years ago.  smile

Yay, lol!  icon_razz

Mmmm, as to the story, I'm probably not the best judge, I always go Gameplay and Immersion first, if those are good, then Graphics and Story are the gravy. If you are familiar with FFXII - I'd say that the story is not nearly as good as FFXII, the cutscene graphics are nowhere near that level, and the story is not as well filled in either. That could be because it's taken me so long just to figure out how to play the game, so the story scenes are sort of few and far between.  Partly though I think that the story is "not great, but acceptable." Sorry I can't be more specific than that...  icon_confused

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 09:59:59 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 04, 2008, 09:25:20 PM

Yay, lol!  icon_razz

Mmmm, as to the story, I'm probably not the best judge, I always go Gameplay and Immersion first, if those are good, then Graphics and Story are the gravy. If you are familiar with FFXII - I'd say that the story is not nearly as good as FFXII, the cutscene graphics are nowhere near that level, and the story is not as well filled in either. That could be because it's taken me so long just to figure out how to play the game, so the story scenes are sort of few and far between.  Partly though I think that the story is "not great, but acceptable." Sorry I can't be more specific than that...  icon_confused

thats not good for me Myto,i hated the story of FF12,...too much politics..or at least i hated the story when compared to other FFs(not 10)..or nearly as fun as past FFs

has anyone got this game that has also got/played Lost Odyssey?...LO was a great game and is my number 3 of this year(MGS4-1,GTA4-2),if its anywhere near that game i will definetly be getting it

and that 'could care less' thing that Jersoc brought up....i remember asking a lot of you on here when i first came here about that,as i always knew it as 'Couldn't care less'...i didnt get nice replies,which prompted me to forget all about it,LOL(i wasnt being a dick trying to correct posts or anything,i just wondered about that statement)

EDIT:oh and Myto...you have the same TV as me icon_biggrin icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:02:06 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 10:46:40 PM »

LOL, Metal, we probably got them from a treasure chest in FFXI!  You'd better be sitting much closer to your TV than I do, then.  There are times you still can't read the print standing right in front of it.  disgust

The story in UI is definitely not too political, I think it is much less involved and complex than the example I think of - FFXII.  But I thought people who want a good story, would not like it if it wasn't deep or involved enough. UI's story seems kind of minimalist to me, although I'm still early in the game - you know me, why do in 10 hours what you could do in 40?!

Notice, above, that I cleverly used both a question mark and an exclamation point, to cover my... erm... all bases. Okay, I know that's not correct, like I know that starting a sentence with AND or BUT isn't right. And I say "couldn't care less" so apparently you never asked me, Metal.  icon_biggrin

I sure wish someone would chime in with some Story impressions here, I have to get off this hook!  icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »

arrived today. played a few hours before work. So far the negative of lack of save points haven't found to be an issue. it sorta did suck when i knew a boss fight was coming up with no save point. but that was beyond easy so non-issue so far.

i don't know if i dig the whole sneak in the dark thing. i loathe stealth games. they don't fit my taste. i'm all about getting up in the face. usually i just run, but it sucks i could be missing loot because of that. weird gameplay decision.

the combat is pretty fluid. the slowdowns aren't so bad yet. they sorta help me keep the combo going because i can quickly switch mobs. so that works out so far. haven't had much of an issue so far. it's been pretty easy to kill stuff, except from the whole escape thing. man was that a bitch to toss in when the player hasn't learned the system. very strange decision there.

i dig the music so far. it's very well done. the sound effects are fairly well as well. a few of them seem off in the start. the shouting of special combos isn't as annoying as i thought it would be. the VA is pretty good for the characters so far. edward is a bit annoying though.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 12:05:48 AM »

After seeing my friend playing it i am not buying it, the voice overs made me suicidal and the rest of the game looks like something i have played many times before. frown

Rather go finnish final fantasy 12 then.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 02:12:56 AM »

Myto - Settle down...your hype is killing me!!  Stop it!!!! Start talking about how much you don't like this game!!!

I HATE RPGs!!!

icon_biggrin icon_wink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 02:28:18 AM »

you had me up to the 'refilling MP' portion, now I'm back on the fence.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 04, 2008, 07:23:40 PM

After that, to regain MP, you must do damage to an enemy while it is on the ground

What about the MP restoring potions?  You can't buy them in the first town, but I assume that you'll eventually be able to buy or make them.  I've found some in treasure chests as well.

I'm only about 3 hours into the game, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  What the graphics lack in technical prowess, they more than make up for in artistic design.  The first town, Nolaan, is quaint and rustic, while the shrine is dark and forboding, and everything is nicely detailed.  Battles flow smoothly, the connect system works great, and there are plenty of twists that add to the standard action-RPG framework.  Even though the game looks linear, there are plenty of little things to find if you explore everything, from secret passages to small sidequests.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 02:09:32 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 05, 2008, 11:41:20 AM

Quote from: mytocles on September 04, 2008, 07:23:40 PM

After that, to regain MP, you must do damage to an enemy while it is on the ground

What about the MP restoring potions?  You can't buy them in the first town, but I assume that you'll eventually be able to buy or make them.  I've found some in treasure chests as well.

I'm only about 3 hours into the game, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  What the graphics lack in technical prowess, they more than make up for in artistic design.  The first town, Nolaan, is quaint and rustic, while the shrine is dark and forboding, and everything is nicely detailed.  Battles flow smoothly, the connect system works great, and there are plenty of twists that add to the standard action-RPG framework.  Even though the game looks linear, there are plenty of little things to find if you explore everything, from secret passages to small sidequests.

I can't say I'm enjoying it...but I do want to agree with everything that Eddie said here.  The story is still boring me to tears...I've dozed off twice now while watching a cutscene (literally, I am not joking about this).

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: