http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:47:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In which Teggy professes his love for Sam Fisher  (Read 786 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2008, 02:20:24 AM »

I love platformers. My favorite genre. Cartoony characters, hopping around, collecting junk.  Love it all. Not embarrassed to say it.  But sometimes I want something a little different. And if I had to pick a favorite "different", it might just be the Splinter Cell series.

I think its the pacing of the games - the freedom to go as your own speed.  If I want to, I can race through the levels, capping guys, dealing with alarms, and making a noisy exit with a large body count behind.  Or (as I am more likely to do) I can walk through completely undetected, climbing across rooftops and through windows, never leaving a trace. Hell, if I want to I can sit in a dark corner for an hour formulating how I will get past the guards up ahead.

I played the original Splinter Cell on the PS2, which was probably a bad idea, but it was the only console I had at the time.  It was a bit sluggish, the graphics weren't so great, and the save system was kind of restrictive.

But a few months ago I picked up Pandora Tomorrow for the XBox, and man did I have a lot of fun with that game.  I played using only checkpoints as saves and worked on playing each section without setting off an alarm.  Every area was a thought puzzle - pop out some lights, watch the way the guards walked, find the secret route over the fence, draw the guards away with some noise, and sneak to your destination. Very cool. Plenty of trial and error, but I didn't mind, because I never felt I was getting killed in a cheap way - the game places the situation in front of you and you have plenty of time to hang back and assess the situation before acting.  I certainly could have finished the missions after tripping an alert, but I didn't want to.

A few days ago I started playing Chaos Theory. Turns out this game is also fantastic, but significantly different from Pandora Tomorrow.  First thing I noticed was that there were no checkpoints - where PT put you along a fairly straight path, Chaos Theory puts you in large areas that you can move about in fairly freely.  The second mission takes place on a ship and you can spend a lot of time exploring storage areas and crew quarters, many of which link together.  This gives you the feeling of being on a mission in a real location - it also allows for the secondary objectives, which generally involve finding x number of something, which is fun if you really want to test your skills. One of the coolest things I think are the left and right hand trigger controls. If you want to just knock someone out, use Sam's left hand, if you want to take them out for good, use his knife (right hand). Now, I don't think that people you knock out ever wake up, but that would make a really interesting moral choice (it would also make the game really hard, though). And of course there are also a ton of great weapons and gadgets, and the NPCs are always having amusing little conversations and doing scripted things.

After this I also have Double Agent for XBox (I got that because I heard it was better than the 360 version) and then eventually Conviction for the 360 and I am really looking forward to those.

So hats off to Sam Fisher - you've given me many hours of gaming goodness.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:51:23 AM »

My short exposure to the series came Double Agent's multiplayer mode.  The demo sold me, and I had tons of fun with Calvin and depward online. 

The multiplayer mode was pretty damn cool.  Spies vs mercenaries, I guess, you'd call it.  I'm not sure if I've played anything like it.

You know, as a Metal Gear Solid fan, maybe I'd dig some Splinter Cell action....

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:36:03 AM »

Chaos Theory is by far the best in the series IMO, though I do enjoy all of them (though the 360 version of Double Agent ranks on the bottom for me).  CT is criminally underrated. 

I'm not sure how good the Xbox port is, but you might want to check out Thief Deadly Shadows.  Splinter Cell borrows a helluva lot from the Thief series. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 04:45:33 AM »

Chaos Theory felt a little off to me.  I prefer Pandora Tomorrow.  But, man, Double Agent just about ruined the series for me.  I still haven't finished it.  And, honestly, the way Conviction seems to be shaping up, I may be done.

Of course, knowing me, I'll crank through the rest of DA, grumpily, and get Conviction anyway, but this series took a huge, long fall as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, Teggy, I love platformers, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 04:51:34 AM »

I'm a little concerned about Conviction- mainly because it's been excessively delayed and in hiding for so long it seems like Ubi might have had to go back to the drawing board on it.  But I have much more faith in Ubi Montreal (SC1, CT, DA Xbox) than Ubi Shanghai (PT, DA 360) so I'm hoping they take the time to get it right. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:00:11 AM »

I hope they went back to the drawing board for Conviction, because the last stuff they showed of it made it seem more like an action game and less about the stealth. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:55:52 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 16, 2008, 05:00:11 AM

I hope they went back to the drawing board for Conviction, because the last stuff they showed of it made it seem more like an action game and less about the stealth. 

who knows?  they haven't really shown anything since last May so maybe they are.  I think the action feel came from they were showing off the new hand to hand system though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:18:40 AM »

Chaos Theory was the first Splinter Cell game that I played and I was blown away by how awesome it was. I played it on the PC with Shader Model 3.0 turned on (something I think only DX 9 video cards could do at the time) so it looked absolutely stunning, and the gameplay was second to none. It definitely proved itself to be the better stealth game between it and the Metal Gear Solid games. Chaos Theory is one of the reasons I had a difficult time getting into MGS2 (even though I loved the first game way back in the day).

I have high hopes for Conviction simply because Ubisoft Montreal has such a great track record, my main concern is that it follows too closely in the footsteps of Assassin's Creed which was an overwhelmingly average game.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 16, 2008, 04:36:03 AM

Chaos Theory is by far the best in the series IMO, though I do enjoy all of them (though the 360 version of Double Agent ranks on the bottom for me).  CT is criminally underrated. 

I'm not sure how good the Xbox port is, but you might want to check out Thief Deadly Shadows.  Splinter Cell borrows a helluva lot from the Thief series. 

Chaos Theory is...awesome. Such a good game. The only Splinter Cell I ever finished and the only one I really loved. Double Agent really disappointed me, even though I would like to go back and finish it at some point. Either way, CT is a standout that I wouldn't mind revisiting.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 16, 2008, 06:18:40 AM

I have high hopes for Conviction simply because Ubisoft Montreal has such a great track record, my main concern is that it follows too closely in the footsteps of Assassin's Creed which was an overwhelmingly average game.

Fishers Creed?
Assassin Cell?

they could have Sam free climb the Washington Monument and dive off the top into a cotton candy vendors cart.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »

I thought all the first 3 games were excellent; haven't played the last one yet. What was most amazing about the series is that it just got better and stronger with each of those games, something that's not so common among sequels. As others have said Chaos Theory was the best of the 3 and it was perhaps the best looking game on the XBox. If you're interested in online play, there's still people on Live playing PT and CT.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 16, 2008, 03:30:07 PM

Quote from: Ridah on January 16, 2008, 06:18:40 AM

they could have Sam free climb the Washington Monument and dive off the top into a cotton candy vendors cart.

If you watch videos of both games there's a pretty striking resemblance. Yes, they take place in two entirely different times and settings. However, they in terms of evading enemies and the whole high profile/low profile alertness is really similar.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 09:27:08 PM »

i tried out the pc demo of sc1 way back in the day and just didn't get it at the time.  not sure why, but i think i went in with the wrong stealth mindset. 

i got ct on the cheap and i loved it.  everything about the way it played knocked mgs off it's perch in my mind.  plus, the dialog sam has with his captives was greatly rewarding, and i went about to hear every bit of interrogation i could.  the roof top bit referencing Brazil (the movie) was the high point, but there were some great bits in there along the way. 

da on the pc is still a buggy mess, and although i liked it for what it was, i felt like they could do better.  i need to find the xbox version and see what it should have been.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 09:31:12 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 16, 2008, 09:27:08 PM

i got ct on the cheap and i loved it.  everything about the way it played knocked mgs off it's perch in my mind.  plus, the dialog sam has with his captives was greatly rewarding, and i went about to hear every bit of interrogation i could.  the roof top bit referencing Brazil (the movie) was the high point, but there were some great bits in there along the way. 

Yeah, the interrogation dialogue in CT was great and went a long way toward characterizing Sam and his support staff.  Shame that it was all dropped in Double Agent. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: