http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 02:37:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Soviet Russia Starforce sues YOU!  (Read 2340 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »

I saw a link to this article at QT3.  Great, great stuff!

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/31/starforce_threatens_.html
Yesterday, I posted about StarForce, a harmful technology used by game companies to restrict their customers' freedom. StarForce attempts to stop game customers from copying their property, but it has the side-effects of destabilizing and crashing the computers on which it is installed.

Someone identifying himself as "Dennis Zhidkov, PR-manager, StarForce Inc." contacted me this morning and threatened to sue me, and told me that he had contacted the FBI to complain about my "harassment."

They also threatened him with their "USlawyer".   Tongue

Between this and their recent "break your PC" contest where you had to fly your damn computer to Russia to their office I hope this strange company's time is almost over.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 03:04:01 PM »

For the record, I've had no problems with it whatsoever after installing it with Space Rangers 2.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 03:11:16 PM »

For the record, I've had no problems with it whatsoever after installing it with Space Rangers 2.
Ah, but perhaps it has a problem with you? It's like a terrorist cell operating undeground beneath your radar waiting for the right moment to strike and screw up your computer.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 03:15:42 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Ah, but perhaps it has a problem with you? It's like a terrorist cell operating undeground beneath your radar waiting for the right moment to strike and screw up your computer.

And I do have to admit that I've had no issues with Starforce as well on Space Rangers 2. While it is only installed on my laptop, I haven't had any issues ever since I installed the game.

Still funny to see the company going out there and trying to sue people. When will people realize that they don't want copy protection on their computers? Especially considering that most protections get nuked within a day or two of the game hitting retail shelves?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 03:16:59 PM »

The problem with troubleshooting something like this is that you can't turn it off to see if it is the problem.

I know it is designed to work that way, but it also hinders any kind of troubleshooting.

You would have to have two of the same game. One with and one without Starforce and see if any issues you had went away when you did that.

I have had issues with games running properly that have Starforce on it.
Now this could be the game itself, but I have yet to run a game that had Starforce that didn't crash or lock up my machine.

I have not had those kinds of issues on any games that did not have Starforce.

Without being able to perform complete troubleshooting I have to draw a conclusion based on behavior.

Also, they offered a whopping $1000 to anyone who could prove it.

1. You can't really prove it because you need one game without it and the same game with it, or the ability to turn it off. Both of which are not options available to the public.
2. Wow, $1000, you really feel confident if you offer that kind of $$$ /sarcasm off
3. Fly the machine to Russia, if that is true, it speaks for itself.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 03:45:51 PM »

Seriously people in other countries (and especially this country) need to learn just what the fuck the FBI does. Investigating claims of harassment for posting on the internet about the effects of software copy protection is not one of them.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 05:29:34 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"

Also, they offered a whopping $1000 to anyone who could prove it.

For the record, it's $10 000 ....
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 06:58:01 PM »

1. You can't really prove it because you need one game without it and the same game with it, or the ability to turn it off. Both of which are not options available to the public.

You could just buy a personal license which I believe is selling for $50.  Use a computer that is completely clean (nothing other than the OS on it).  Attach starforce to a program (you can do that now that you have the license to do so).  If your computer crashes with starforce running but does not without it then you sir have earned $10,000.  Good luck.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 07:20:26 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Shaddap.

Fuck Starforce.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 07:46:18 PM »

I have quite a few Starforce protected games on my PC and it has never caused me any problems.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 12:40:03 AM »

I could care less if Starforce causes instability or not.  There is absolutely NO reason copy protection schemes should be installed for a DEMO. EVER.  Also, Copy Protection has NO reason to phone home.  EVER.  I will oppose Starforce for these reasons alone.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 01:25:13 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
I could care less if Starforce causes instability or not.  There is absolutely NO reason copy protection schemes should be installed for a DEMO. EVER.  Also, Copy Protection has NO reason to phone home.  EVER.  I will oppose Starforce for these reasons alone.

And that is also true in my eyes. I have I ever bought any other game (or pulled a demo) that contained Starforce? No. Nor will I.

Space Rangers 2 was my only exception. Maybe I can give it a bit of leeway as it was from an indie developer not located in the US. *shrugs*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 07:57:22 AM »

They have no right to install software like that on any of our PCs, IMO. Sony tried it and got hit hard for trying to pull some BS like that without our knowledge. Starfroce should be getting more fire than what it's getting already.

I was about to pick up Alexander today for $19.99 at Gamestop and it's by CDV - a company that seems to use starforce on most of their games. On the bottom of the box it read something along the lines of "Copyright protection software installed, may cause some CD/DVD drives to malfunction." In tiny little letters of course where the casual gamer woudn't give it a second thought.

There are plenty of other ways to fight piracy, and installing "software" that a good number of gamers don't want on their PC's for a good reason defintiely isn't one of them.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 09:15:09 AM »

I'm just upset at how they try to hide everything.

I would be perfectly fine with starforce if it wasn't hidden from the user like it is now.  It installs without warning along with the program, and there's no simple way to remove it unless you download their special starforce remover.  How are we to be sure that that remover gets rid of it?

Have the installer clearly state that it's installing starforce on installation of a game.  Then have an entry for the drivers in "Add or Remove Programs" so the user can uninstall the drivers as soon as they're done.

Companies have a right to protect their properties, but users also have a right to decide what gets installed and removed from their computer.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 07:01:32 PM »

The more I think about it the more this baseless threat from their company bugs the shit out of me. Just wanted to add that.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 12:04:53 AM »

And on a whim, I visited my favorite 'no CD check bullcrap' site and found one for Space Rangers 2. Once I got that up and running, I got rid of Starforce for good on my laptop.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 02:42:20 PM »

Just fyi, you guys know that you all probably have a driver for SafeDisc on your machines, too, right?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 02:43:31 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
Just fyi, you guys know that you all probably have a driver for SafeDisc on your machines, too, right?

Yes, but if I recall correctly, that is in the base install of windows (and has been since win2k).

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 04:25:28 PM »

I don't like them either but at least they don't threaten with lawsuits and the FBI.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 08:42:57 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"

Yes, but if I recall correctly, that is in the base install of windows (and has been since win2k).

Indeed it is.  Which to me, makes it even more insidious than Starforce.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 09:20:12 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"

Indeed it is.  Which to me, makes it even more insidious than Starforce.

*shrug*  At this point, SafeDisc/Macrovision has had a much lower key history.  It has caused problems with some drives, but (AFAIK) only when playing the game it is protecting.   It has never prevented us from using our systems like we want to.  It has also remained a protection to keep the casual pirate out.

Starforce (previous versions) was done in such a way that it didn't just affect the game it was protecting, but instead installed itself with a driver that would interfere with burning/ripping/copying software.  And it was done in a way that it would stop or disable basic data burning, like backing up files.    Add on top of that the unapologetic nature of both publishers using it and the starforce developers themselves, and you begin to alienate a whole group of game players.  

With that little bit said, I'm not so sure the current version of Starforce is as bad as its predecessors.  On my laptop (whos specs can be found in the hardware forum) the latest version causes a slightly higher CPU usage, even when I'm not running a SF protected game.  It still provides a level of access to the system that I don't like either (the Ring 0 that they discuss in the boing boing article), but it doesn't tear up systems like it used to.

I still don't like it, and I keep it in mind before I buy a game.  A title I reviewed in the last six months, Blitzkrieg II, had starforce on it.  I had a reviewers key to bypass it because I only had a review copy of the game and not a retail copy.  No issues playing the game, and I ran SFremove.exe as soon as I was done with the game.

The end problem comes down to an IP fight that has been brewing for some time.  In my mind, Intellectual Property will make or break America's economic future, and Starforce and their foibles will just become more ammo in the debate.  Who owns what?  And why do you care?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 09:37:43 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

I don't like them either but at least they don't threaten with lawsuits and the FBI.

Like the FBI would have anything to do with this biggrin
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 11:49:45 PM »

fbi just laugh their ass off hehe
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2006, 04:41:13 AM »

Warning.... that is the funniest thread title EVA!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: