http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:57:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Impulse is here!  (Read 2493 times)
Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:27:55 PM »

I wanted to start a thread with the "official" announcement that Impulse has been released.  If you have any feedback, this thread will be very useful. 

Link: http://www.impulsedriven.com

With the backing of industry powerhouse games and software developers and publishers, Stardock today announced the launch of its next-generation digital distribution platform, Impulse (www.impulsedriven.com). Impulse is a cohesive, integrated virtual platform for consumers and developers that is designed to simplify buying, supporting, and developing PC games and applications for Windows XP and Vista.

jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:44:20 PM »

this looks so damn sleek. I like it better than what they used before.
tgb1.1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »

Just got it.  I haven't looked at it very closely, but using it to install Political Machine was a piece of cake.  If only GamersGate would use a similar download program

"My performance in Postal as 'Nazi Theme Park Owner' outperforms easily Ben Kingsley in Schindler's List!" - Uwe Boll
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »

The aesthetics are wonderful. I really like the look.

My only current suggestion would be to optimize it's loading time. It takes a good 15 seconds to load on my high end machine.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »

Do you have to have Impulse running whenever you play a Stardock game?  Does it always run in the background checking for updates, etc?  Can you disable any automatic update checking?

I recently bought Sins of a Solar Empire (retail box) and am wondering whether I should grab Stardock Central or the new Impulse utility.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 04:19:49 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on June 18, 2008, 03:53:04 PM

Do you have to have Impulse running whenever you play a Stardock game?  Does it always run in the background checking for updates, etc?  Can you disable any automatic update checking?

I recently bought Sins of a Solar Empire (retail box) and am wondering whether I should grab Stardock Central or the new Impulse utility.

You can fire up a Stardock game without Impulse.

Impulse only runs if you start it.

It exits completely when you exit it.

Get Impulse, it's far better than SDC. In fact, I believe Stardock is trying to get people moved off of SDC and onto Impulse.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 04:33:30 PM »

I guess I'll have to give this an install the next time I fire up Sins, but to be honest I didn't really have a problem with the old launcher.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 18, 2008, 01:56:27 PM

My only current suggestion would be to optimize it's loading time. It takes a good 15 seconds to load on my high end machine.

Yeah, and it also takes a while to recognise games you own but haven't installed.  Longer than it takes SDC to do the same, anyway.

Apart from that, though, Impulse is really nice. smile

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »

Im very glad to see this. Im a big Stardock fanboi smile I think more online digidistribute is a good thing. I still order a box though even if it is online ordering. Im glad Stardock is staying in the game and hanging out so to speak with Valve. The more the merrier.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 08:52:32 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 18, 2008, 04:19:49 PM

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on June 18, 2008, 03:53:04 PM

You can fire up a Stardock game without Impulse.

Impulse only runs if you start it.

It exits completely when you exit it.

Get Impulse, it's far better than SDC. In fact, I believe Stardock is trying to get people moved off of SDC and onto Impulse.

Thanks, Jeff.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 09:28:49 PM »

Definitely could use some optimization, as it takes a while to load.  The visual design is very slick, really like it.  Only tinkered around with it a bit, but going to give it a "test drive" tomorrow most likely when I order the Space Rangers 2 Reboot expansion.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 02:45:07 AM »

So what's the value add over SDC? It just looks like a flashier reskin.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 12:52:02 PM »

Quote from: Atragon on June 19, 2008, 02:45:07 AM

So what's the value add over SDC? It just looks like a flashier reskin.

There's a bullet list in the link the OP provided.
Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »

I believe Stardock is trying to get people moved off of SDC and onto Impulse.

Stardock Central will be around for a while, but it will eventually be replaced completely by Impulse.

Delraich
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »

I just got Impulse, installed it and it instantly recognized my Stardock account and games, no problemo  thumbsup. Looks very good too and I do not need to tell Vista every time it is actually ok to start it, SINCE I JUST FRIGGIN CLICKED IT...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 12:35:42 AM »

I see Impulse has a friends list, anyone here using it?  I am Arkon on there...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 12:44:10 AM »

Ok a few things, now that I just made my first purchase....

I bought Space Rangers 2 Complete (couldn't find my original SR2 game discs...)

1. Why isn't the registration integrated?  I made the purchase through impulse, yet I had to register the game with impulse by copying/pasting the serial from the web page generated from the purchase.

2. It would be nice to be able to see what sort of download rate you are getting.  While I can see the progress, and see the amount downloaded jumping up, I have no clue real time what sort of speed I am getting.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 12:57:36 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 20, 2008, 12:44:10 AM

1. Why isn't the registration integrated?  I made the purchase through impulse, yet I had to register the game with impulse by copying/pasting the serial from the web page generated from the purchase.

That's weird that it didn't work for you.  I bought The Political Machine 2008 today through Totalgaming (had some tokens left) and when I opened up Impulse it logged in and found my license info automatically and it showed up under My Games.  Maybe you have to log out and then back in again for it to do a licensing search.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »

Installed Impulse finally. my memory sucks so had'nt gotten around to it. I love how if I want to play the games I own I just hit INSTALL and it sticks them in there. No having to dig out boxes of cds.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 01:02:10 AM »

Quote from: Biyobi on June 20, 2008, 12:57:36 AM

That's weird that it didn't work for you.  I bought The Political Machine 2008 today through Totalgaming (had some tokens left) and when I opened up Impulse it logged in and found my license info automatically and it showed up under My Games.  Maybe you have to log out and then back in again for it to do a licensing search.

Perhaps it is because you did it through totalgaming?

I was using the Impulse Store (the one in the app, not the impulsedriven site), and wasn't using tokens, I paid via credit card.  The other funny thing is the app has my email address, it has my name etc... yet when I went to check out I still had to enter that stuff... couldn't it prepopulate some of that?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 01:02:55 AM »

Currently using Opera as my web browser.  I minimized Impulse to the dock, and now the dock won't open unless I completely shut down opera...
Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 01:50:52 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 20, 2008, 01:02:10 AM

I was using the Impulse Store (the one in the app, not the impulsedriven site), and wasn't using tokens, I paid via credit card.  The other funny thing is the app has my email address, it has my name etc... yet when I went to check out I still had to enter that stuff... couldn't it prepopulate some of that?

When you checked out did you opt to create a Stardock.net account?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 03:27:52 PM »

Quote from: Island Dog on June 20, 2008, 01:50:52 PM

Quote from: Arkon on June 20, 2008, 01:02:10 AM

When you checked out did you opt to create a Stardock.net account?

Didn't have that option, as far as I know I already had a Stardock.net account as I have purchased games through SDC before.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 01:35:47 AM »

Does anyone know how to keep Impulse from installing games to the C: drive? I don't recall being given a choice. My C: partition is purposefully kept small. I tried installing Impulse to the F: drive, but it still puts the games on C:

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 02:13:47 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on July 06, 2008, 01:35:47 AM

Does anyone know how to keep Impulse from installing games to the C: drive? I don't recall being given a choice. My C: partition is purposefully kept small. I tried installing Impulse to the F: drive, but it still puts the games on C:

Click on the "Stardock" icon in the top-left corner of Impulse, then select Preferences. You can specify various locations on the "Folders" tab of that screen.

- Ash
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 04:28:25 AM »

Quote from: Asharak on July 06, 2008, 02:13:47 AM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on July 06, 2008, 01:35:47 AM

Click on the "Stardock" icon in the top-left corner of Impulse, then select Preferences. You can specify various locations on the "Folders" tab of that screen.

- Ash

Ah, they had it well hidden. Thanks, that did the trick.

And thanks for the AAR's in the other thread too smile
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »

Impulse worked very well for me when I bought The Political Machine. I saw the game at Target but opted to buy it online, since I imagine Stardock gets a muuuch bigger piece of the sales pie that way and I want them to make money so they continue to make good games. smile
Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 02:33:40 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 20, 2008, 12:35:42 AM

I see Impulse has a friends list, anyone here using it?  I am Arkon on there...

I missed that post earlier, I add you and anybody can add me as well.  Name is the same as on here.

smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: