http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 03:59:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Impressions: WarioWare Twisted!  (Read 1794 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2005, 06:39:07 PM »

So I've always been a huge fun of the WarioWare series.  I spent way too much time unlocking everything in the first game, and I'm pretty close to having done the same for Touched.  That said, I was a little worried about the latest GBA version, as the idea of the only motion used to play the game is spinning the GBA to the right or left seemed like it would get boring after a while.

Thankfully it looks like I'm wrong.  First off, the sensor itself is great.  The cartridge resembles a Nintendo64 Rumble Pack (hence the larger packaging).  I was a little suprised to find out that it actually does contain rumble functionality in addition to the motion sensor.  The rumble feedback is very well done and is central for knowing the sensitivity of the 'spinning'.  All of the menus, title screens, options, you name it are all controlled with the motion sensor.  The A button is only used to select a particular item, and so far I haven't used it at all ingame.

Another nice change to the WarioWare formula is that the minigames seem a little more difficult this time out.  Granted, you'll still probably blow thru the main game in an hour or two, but the challenge seems to be a little more cerebral this time around.  Rather than figuring out what button press/stylus motion to use on a particular game, most of the games here seem to be timing based.  The originality is as good as always, and I have yet to find myself getting bored.

Graphically, it's pretty similar to the first game on the GBA.  Because of the rotation, almost everything is done in the Mode7 style with the exception of cutscenes.  The cutscenes are as lame and nonsensical as ever.  Sounds are fairly well done, and to my suprise they have another vocal background track in the game similar to Warioware Touched.  The 'Toy Room' of Touched is back and fleshed out a little bit more, and there looks to be a lot more unlockables this time out.

So yeah, go buy this game!  Handheld gaming at its finest.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 10:55:10 PM »

I`m in a hurry, but no shit...this game rocks!!! There`s ALOT to unlock and it`s ALL fun. If you have a ds with touched in it and twisted in it, you unlock stuff in touched from playing twisted. Great stuff.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 01:44:14 AM »

Ok, there *needs* to be a driving game that uses this sort of sensor in the controller.  I can't believe how intuitive everything is.  

Huh, I didn't even think to try Twisted w/ Touched in the DS at the same time... thanks for the tip!!

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 09:06:28 AM »

No problem. So far this might be the best wario game yet! Great stuff.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 03:44:44 PM »

Which warioware game is better?  Touched or Twisted? and are both only DS games?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 07:49:45 PM »

Touched is only for the DS, while Twisted is a GBA game (which of course works in the DS).

Although I enjoy both, right now I'd have to give the nod to Twisted.  Touched seemed to get old fast, and the difficulty level was way to easy (even for a Warioware game).  Twisted seems to have a little bit more meat in the minigames, and the rotation thing is extremely well done and worth checking out.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 07:51:09 PM »

I`d agree, BUT I really think all 3 need to be played!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 08:03:22 PM »

So Dim, with the rumours of a gyroscopic Revolution controller floating around, does your time with Twisted offer any thoughts on how an actual gyroscopic controller would fly?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 12:37:43 AM »

I've never been real warm to the idea of a gyroscope type of sensor, but now that I've had my hands on Twisted for a few days - OH HECK YEAH!!  I can't imagine not putting something like this in a next gen controller!  

Racing games alone would hugely benefit from something like this, and after seeing the tons of different game 'styles' you can control with a gyroscope via Twisted I am completely sold on it.  Imagine playing Super Monkey Ball or Mercury with something like that.... awesome!

Oh yeah, and I finally made it to the 'retro NES' portion of the game - OMG this game rocks!  You get to play a version of Kid Icarus for pete's sake!!

If I'm bored later maybe I'll make a brief movie of it in action.

Edit: Heh, for the 'End Boss' of the 9-Volt stage you have to play thru World 1-1 of Super Mario Bros using the gyroscope to move.  Genius.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 03:28:53 PM »

Okay, I'm sold on Twisted.  I will be picking it up today.

My family loves the first warioware GBA game.  We still play it frequently.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 02:40:15 AM »

I love this game and it is very challenging I am on the last stage and I can only complete about 6 challenges.  I am very happy with this game.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 08:39:04 AM »

Question, which is the better device to play it on, DS or GBA? I have it ordered (delayed in Europe for the zillionth time), and wonder if because of the style of game weither the GBA is better suited.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 06:34:59 PM »

Honestly?  I have an original GBA and a DS, and I find it a little more comfortable on the GBA simply because there are a few games where you end up turning your GBA/DS in a complete circle which is a little more cumbersome on the DS.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 07:24:26 PM »

Think I'll stick to the trusty old GBA then. But to unlock the the Warioware touched extras, do you need to play twisted on the DS, or merely have the cartridge in the GBA slot?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 07:48:56 PM »

All I know is that I had both in the DS and I played twisted first, then I played touched, and there it was, extra content!
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 02:38:52 PM »

Recieved my copy today, and it's brilliant. It's strange, that while I don't like most of Nintendo's type of games, I love the Warios. They always bring a smile to my face.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 03:15:12 PM »

I finally got around to putting Twisted and Touched in the DS at the same time - hey, that's a pretty entertaining bonus prize :-)

I really like the whole 'gumball machine' approach they took with Twisted to unlock stuff - rather than having to tediously play each minigame over and over again until your brain glazes over, you can continue to simply play the various jukebox modes to unlock new prizes.

I'd have to say - this is the best Warioware ever!

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 08:08:31 PM »

I agree with that. Best WW ever!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: