http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 08:54:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Impact of next gen game prices...  (Read 1126 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2006, 08:09:57 PM »

We've gone over this a couple of times and each time I've said the extra ten dollars doesn't really bother me and hasn't impacted my buynig habits.

Well, this week I realized it has. The discussion of Smackdown vs Raw caused me to go check out the used games at gamestop. They had it used for $54.99. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $54.99 (-10%) for a used game... even purchasing with store credit. I checked their website and they're paying $24 for it now. Paying 44.99 for a used game always bothered me, but if it was something I wanted I'd go for it. In the case of used games the extra $10 is just too much.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 09:00:31 PM »

I've bought a lot less than I had at this point owning the XBox.  $60, it's just a lot harder for me to pull the trigger on purchasing something -- $50 has always been my mental limit of not really thinking about a purchase, but that extra $10 plus tax is closer enough to $100 that I pause and usually end up waiting or forcing myself to trade something old in towards the new...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 09:19:29 PM »

I won't pay $55 for a used game.  Can't justify it when the same game new is only $5 more.  It also reinforces what an obscene profit margin they're making on used games.  Screw 'em.  Dicks.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 09:22:26 PM »

I buy the used ones when I have coupons or some other silly deal. I don't care how much money they make, as long as I can get a deal. On several occaisions I have walked into Gamestop and seen a brand new game, less than three days old on the shelf used. So when I get it with the discount program I am saving a little over $10.

I refuse to pay full price for any 360 games.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 09:31:43 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on December 29, 2006, 09:19:29 PM

I won't pay $55 for a used game.  Can't justify it when the same game new is only $5 more.  It also reinforces what an obscene profit margin they're making on used games.

that's pretty much my thoughts on the matter.  paying $60 for a brand new game is one thing (which i don't mine too much), but being asked to pay $50+ for a used one is ridiculous.  that's exactly the reason i don't trade my used 360 games in to someplace like Gamestop/EB, or buy recently-released used games from them.  their trade-in values are pathetic compared to the resale price, and the "discount" for buying used is a joke...would rather pay $5 more for something new, sell my games myself, and get them used from someplace else than support their lousy system.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 10:25:30 PM »

I started my Gamefly subscription the week I got my 360 (early August).  Since then I have purchased exactly one 360 game and that was Burnout Revenge when it was on sale for $26.00.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 10:49:58 PM »

$60 is 20% higher than $50. I won't pay 20% more for games. Well, except when I'm trading stuff in, and that's rare.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 11:14:28 PM »

It hasn't effected my overall spending much, but it has hurt my 360 purchases.  I have a hard time justifying to myself $60 for a 360 game when I can often get a PS2 or PSP game I'll enjoy every bit as much fif not more for only $39.99 or $49.99.  Or even  a DS game for $35 or less.  So more often I end up waiting for the 360 release to take some major price cuts while I buy most of my other games at full MSRP. 

So I'll still buy stuff I'm pretty confident I'll really enjoy (Oblivion and Gears of War) at full price, but $60 has killed any impulse buys on the 360 for me. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 11:35:32 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 29, 2006, 11:14:28 PM

So I'll still buy stuff I'm pretty confident I'll really enjoy (Oblivion and Gears of War) at full price, but $60 has killed any impulse buys on the 360 for me. 

This is exactly why the higher-priced games are actually saving me money. My break-off point for an impulse buy is in the $40 range, and even then I've been exerting more discipline in general anyway.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 04:30:38 AM »

I haven't bought too many $60 games at all.  In fact, I think Gears of War is the only one and I kind of regret it since I don't play multi-player.  The other full-price new games I have bought for the 360 (Just Cause, Lego Star Wars 2) have been $50 or less. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 05:13:16 AM »

There are essentially 2 things that have kept me from getting a next gen console yet:

1. I only have 1 HDTV and it's not where my consoles are
2. $60 games

I simply can't get over that hurdle. I got all of my current-gen consoles well into their lifespans, so I am very used to picking up AAA titles for $20 in their "greatest hits/platinum choice/etc." versions.  I think I have paid $40 for a game maybe twice and $50 once, and that was so I could play Burnout 3 online with some of my friends.  It's gotten so $20 is what I want to pay for a videogame.  It's not really a problem since my backlog is so huge, but it also means I'm going to have to wait to play the latest and greatest.  I don't play online much at all, so I feel like I'll survive.  And maybe I'll have a downpayment on a house that much sooner.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 05:13:42 AM »

I'm still doing the impluse buy thing (Superman Returns, Saints Row, Double Agent) so the higher prices haven't affected me.  If I do buy used I check out the local used CD stores-  most of the time I can find a used game for 15 bucks cheaper than what EB is selling it for (even though I still refuse to pay 40 bucks for Dead Rising).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 05:29:55 AM »

I will never buy a game over $40.  Period.  Never - ever - will I do it, and I haven't in years.

I don't care if I have to wait 12 months for the price reductions, I won't do it.  Thats my top-end for brand new games.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 06:10:18 AM »

I think I'm more selective on what I buy.  I still get the AAA titles, but not much on impulse like I did with previous systems.

I've been buying more $10 PS2 games than anything lately.

Price isn't really the biggest issue for me, it's time.  These days I'm almost as content to read about as I am to play them.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 06:16:48 AM »

The low price of DS games is another reason I keep buying games for the damn thing, rather than clearing out my backlog.

DAMN YOU NINTENDO!!!!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 06:30:49 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 30, 2006, 06:16:48 AM

The low price of DS games is another reason I keep buying games for the damn thing, rather than clearing out my backlog.

DAMN YOU NINTENDO!!!!

Zoo Keeper!  The best $10 I spent all year.

I just wish the first-party stuff would see a price drop now and again.  I am not paying $30-35 for a DS game!

GBA titles are my weakness.  I have...too many.  I love to feed my GBA Micro!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: