http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:47:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IL-2 Sturmovik for Xbox and PS3?  (Read 5436 times)
marcusjm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »

On the othe hand. Did any XBOX game have re-mappable keys? Never seen it myself so far.

I think you get used to it, maybe it went faster for me since I have no previous experience with games like these on console.

At least the flying itself kicks hell out of anything i have experienced on any console to date. It is wonderful flying with the Spitfire.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:14:36 PM by marcusjm » Logged

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »

can't recall which ones at the moment, but I know I've played at least 2 that let you custom set keys and not just choose from alternate control pre-sets
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »

I impulse bought the Saitek controller last night.  Are there any other good games that I should consider?  I'm thinking Battlestation Pacific and HAWX (if it's bargain bin by now).  Is it possible to play BF1943 with a flightstick?  I guess switching back and forth would be a pain.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2009, 10:21:55 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 30, 2009, 08:51:43 PM

I impulse bought the Saitek controller last night.  Are there any other good games that I should consider?  I'm thinking Battlestation Pacific and HAWX (if it's bargain bin by now).

IMO Blazing Angels 2 is a better game than either of those 2. The only problem I had with it was the odd very difficult level, but the invisibility mode saved me the frustration. It also made some attempt to be more than just an arcade game, allowing a semi-simulation mode and a nice cockpit view. I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard it works fine with the Saitek joystick.

I've also heard nothing but great things about Ace Combat 6, but I haven't played it myself.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »

Ace Combat 6 is fun.

kronovan's claim that Blazing Angels 2 is better than Battlestations gets a big 'Huh?' from me, because the Battlestations games are fantastic, and definitely have more depth than BA2.

However... they aren't just flying games, so I don't know if the joystick would be that great... hrm... I dunno, it might be cool. 
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2009, 12:14:11 AM »

My biggest beef is that there is no co-op campaign. Wasn't this in the PC version?

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2009, 05:14:18 AM »

Coop, yes, campaign, no... not that I know of.

Also, you realize that this has basically nothing at all to do with the (8 year old) PC version, right?
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »

I hardly played the old game, never had joysticks for PC so I never really played flight sims.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »

Played the demo last night and it is beautiful.  I didn't try it on the easiest level, and likely payed for my arrogance.  I stalled and spun those planes like I was a carnival ride operator. 

And how the hell did I forget that Stukas have tail gunners?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »

Played the demo as well and for a console flight sim, it's pretty good.  I'm impressed with the multiple views.  The controls weren't too bad, although I'm still finding it really hard to roll and then pull back on the stick and hold a steady turn.  The roll sensitivity is so high that I pull through a turn with my wings waggling all over the place.

The only things I noticed that bothered me a bit were that the plane tended to self-stabilize when you're banked (it kept wanting to return to wings level), and enemy planes were so easy to shoot down (compared to the PC sim) it was rather ridiculous.  However, I was playing on Arcade settings, so I'm curious to see how Sim settings are different.  Are Sim settings eventually unlocked in the demo?

XBox Live:  JNacht
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2009, 06:27:33 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on July 31, 2009, 05:52:30 PM

Played the demo as well and for a console flight sim, it's pretty good.  I'm impressed with the multiple views.  The controls weren't too bad, although I'm still finding it really hard to roll and then pull back on the stick and hold a steady turn.  The roll sensitivity is so high that I pull through a turn with my wings waggling all over the place.

The only things I noticed that bothered me a bit were that the plane tended to self-stabilize when you're banked (it kept wanting to return to wings level), and enemy planes were so easy to shoot down (compared to the PC sim) it was rather ridiculous.  However, I was playing on Arcade settings, so I'm curious to see how Sim settings are different.  Are Sim settings eventually unlocked in the demo?

I think two different settings unlock when you play through the tutorials.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2009, 06:29:25 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on July 31, 2009, 05:52:30 PM

Are Sim settings eventually unlocked in the demo?
Yes, after you successfully complete the first mission. You can step up to Realistic or Sim difficulty in that order. Note that nothing is saved from the demo, so once you quit it, you'll have to go back and successfully complete that first mission again to unlock the other difficulties.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2009, 03:54:58 AM »

Just so I have this straight-the 360 and the PS3 each support only a single joystick?? I was hoping that I could pop any USB joystick into my PS3 and have it work for me.  I have a joystick at home and if it works I'll definitely be picking this one up but I will not be repurchasing a joystick when I never use the one I have.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2009, 01:23:13 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 03, 2009, 03:54:58 AM

Just so I have this straight-the 360 and the PS3 each support only a single joystick?? I was hoping that I could pop any USB joystick into my PS3 and have it work for me.  I have a joystick at home and if it works I'll definitely be picking this one up but I will not be repurchasing a joystick when I never use the one I have.

I think there is one stick for the PS3 and another for the 360. Both should also work on the PC but not with the other console.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »

Quote from: Jag on August 03, 2009, 01:23:13 PM

Quote from: Canuck on August 03, 2009, 03:54:58 AM

I think there is one stick for the PS3 and another for the 360. Both should also work on the PC but not with the other console.

I just checked this stick out this past weekend at a local PC shop that caters to gamers. I can confirm that the 360 and PS3 versions will run on Windows XP/Vista, but neither stick will run on the other console platform. I tried the 360 version connected to a PC and it seemed to have a decent grip, heft and responsiveness. The 1 complaint I have is that the centering spring is strong so the throw is a bit forced, but I could see where that would work well in existing console flight games. Not so sure if that might get in the way with a more sim heavy game like IL2 360. But hey, it's really the only option anyways. slywink
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2009, 04:56:13 PM »

Just tried the demo and it's a joy to fly.  I was a bit nervous after recently flying in BF1943 but controls just seem so smooth in IL2 even with a gamepad.  I take back the comments about right/left placement of analog stick.  The default works great even though I don't think it is a logical placement.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »

PS3 demo dropping August 20

get your goggles ready nod
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2009, 06:57:09 PM »

After trying the demo I don't think I could fully enjoy this game without picking up the stick. This means it will be a while before I take the plunge. The whole view control by clicking the stick does not work for me. I hate anything that involves clicking the sticks as it feels so ackward to me. Oh well it's not like I don't have a million other things to play.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »

My first impressions is that this game is one of the most beautiful games I have ever played.  The terrain is just unbelievable.  I was overjoyed to see that the PS3 version used Thrustmaster joysticks only to realize that my PC Thrustmaster (about 2.5 years old now) doesn't seem to be compatible with the PS3 after all-doh!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2009, 05:31:57 PM »

Now I'm remembering why I didnt use the stick in Ace Combat 6 much...it is stiff.  I need to find a way to open up the base and loosen the springs.  My arm is killing me after ten minutes of play.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »

So, did anyone pick this up yet?

I almost did, but I've decided to wait until next week when I can use a 10% coupon at Best Buy (they have it coming the 8th).

EDIT:  Looks like it's actually coming in tomorrow at GS.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:45:56 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2009, 04:39:45 PM »

I enjoyed it alot, even played a couple of player matches last night.  For awhile, I completely forgot I was on a console.  It looks as good (or maybe better than) the PC version.  Granted, it lacks the flexibility that the Pc version has with mods, but still, I'm in love!

Yeesh,  Section 8, Defense Grid, Shadow Complex, IL2.... soon to be outlands, ODST, and Forza III.  I almost don't miss my PC....

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2009, 09:01:10 PM »

Can you change the controls in the full game?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »

IIRC, you can invert the Y axis, change the Y axis sensitivity. but otherwise the buttons seemed set in stone.    Even with the Ace Combat 6 flightstick in, it still showed the controller template. and there weren't any choices on the template screen for certain.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »

I'm just going to deal with it... I had a $25 card at gamespot, so when I saw that this was in stores and only $50, I picked it up.  We'll see how I do.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: