http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 09:36:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IL-2 Sturmovik for Xbox and PS3?  (Read 5696 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 11:25:38 PM »

Quote from: kratz on July 23, 2009, 11:03:32 PM

Generally the 'stick' is on the right...

Ok got yah. Personally, as weird as it may seem, when using my 360 controller I've found it to be more intuitive to have the rudder on the stick furthest back and the roll and pitch on the forward stick. That's probably got more to do with the fact that existing console flight games are biased towards external views and that matches up with the location of those control surfaces. Of course if I had a PS3 and a dual shock with equally positioned sticks, I'd probably always put roll and pitch on the right. slywink
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »

according to CVG the demo will be up tomorrow for Xbox Live,no mention of if it will appear on PSN this thursday

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2009, 12:15:27 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 28, 2009, 12:06:22 PM

according to CVG the demo will be up tomorrow for Xbox Live,no mention of if it will appear on PSN this thursday

twitter announcement coming shortly for PS3 demo
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 28, 2009, 12:06:22 PM

Good move on the developers/publishers part. Console players aren't really in the hardcore combat air sim demographic so it would behoove them to let people get a free look. I'm interested in how much of the aircraft controls are in the console version. For instance, supercharger stage selection, separate fire buttons for cannons versus machine guns, water injection, etc.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 05:10:21 PM »

Sweet! Can't wait to check out the demo!
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 06:24:03 PM »

I hope it is multiplayer. Can't wait to try it out with some of the guys here.

For the motherland.

Btw, can you fly other theatres as well, I always thought they would do a Battle of Britain as well.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 08:22:41 PM »

If this turns out well for the 360, you can absolutely bet I will be all over this game and looking for some good multiplayer action. There hasn't been a good multiplayer flight combat game on a console yet, so I'm itching for one! The air superiority battles in BF1943 are only serving to whet my appetite.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 09:13:48 PM »

i was reading up on this on Eurogamer,talking about you can make it as real as possible.....if so,you get cockpit view only,and no indication of who the enemy or friends are...i think i will have every single aid turned ON,LOL

* "150 planes in the sky at one time!"
* "Choose your own foes with the skirmish mode."
* "Control Wingmen with simple orders."
* "Luscious Joss Ackland narration."(some may know Joss Ackland as the bad guy from Lethal Weapon II)
* and "Not on PC! A cruel twist."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/il-2-sturmovik-birds-of-prey-hands-on

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2009, 10:45:23 AM »

Downloading as we speak, wohoo smile.

Btw. The initial mode is arcade but sim mode can be unlocked so you get both.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:46:55 AM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 11:08:46 AM »

Quote from: marcusjm on July 29, 2009, 10:45:23 AM

Btw. The initial mode is arcade but sim mode can be unlocked so you get both.

Unlocked how?

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »

Finish mission 1.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 11:26:32 AM »

I am on a crappy SDVT but this game still looks fantastic, best looking 360 I have at least.
The Spitfire cockpit seems to be accurate too, if I remember correctly from the museum.

I need to start hunting for a good price on this.

The campaign is in fact Battle of Britain. Can it be better than this? Seems to also include Battle of the Bulge, not that I know of any famous air battles in that campaign.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:03:30 PM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2009, 02:03:39 PM »

gonna download this ina  few minutes...looking forward to it,

Enjoyed the demo for Ace Combat 6(or whatever number it was)

didn't like the demo for Hawx

didn't really like Blazing Angel(couldn't get into it)

so i'll see how this one does

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2009, 02:05:55 PM »

Holy crap, that Eurogamer article better be accurate, because it has me getting really stoked for this one.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2009, 03:08:15 PM »

Impressions? What about a demo on PS3?
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »

Much much better than Blazing Angels but the real fun starts with realistic mode. Damn its hard.

Hawks demo i only played a few times but can you beat Battle of Britain? No.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 04:14:36 PM »

How many missions in the demo? How many aircraft?

UPDATE: Found this thread over on SimHQ forum with tons of screenies from someone actually playing the demo. He walks you through all the content, training missions, the two combat missions and the different game modes.

56K WARNING! Those tons of screen shots are all in the thread, takes a while to load.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:32:45 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »

I was really hoping that no other games would interest me frown
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2009, 04:42:51 PM »

For those who don't want to wade through all those screen shots for the impressions, basically the guy likes the demo and says the game compares nicely with the PC version. And this is SimHQ, guys who live for simulators, so I give their impressions a higher level of respect than the fan-boys over on the Xbox forum.

I just might have to invest in one of those fancy Saitek PC/360 joysticks.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »

Loved this demo!

And, for me, the great thing is that my hard-core simming days are behind me.  I just don't have the patience any more.  The game is a ton of fun arcade-style, for those who want that.

This is what I was hoping Blazing Angels would be (and I think they're trying to drive that home.  Isn't the town/church in the tutorial the same one from BA?).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 05:01:44 PM »

The guy on SimHQ says the Saitek stick is the only flightstick for 360.  Didn't Ace Combat come with a flight stick too?  Or was it HAWX?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 05:08:43 PM »

I believe that the stick it came with was the Saitek stick...
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 29, 2009, 05:01:44 PM

The guy on SimHQ says the Saitek stick is the only flightstick for 360.  Didn't Ace Combat come with a flight stick too?  Or was it HAWX?

I just checked the Gamestop site and the only stick they list is the Saitek stick, so I guess that is the one.

UPDATE: I did see mentioned in the SimHQ thread that the guy did have some difficulties in the tutorial getting the demo to work with the stick. If I remember his words, it was something that even with the stick attached the game still considered it a gamepad. Would like to hear more firsthand about this before I get the stick for IL-2, since it would appear to be the only game I would get it for.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 05:13:51 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2009, 01:33:18 AM »

So... is there no way to swap the sticks in this demo?

If there is no way to swap the sticks in the *game*, it's going to be a super heartbreaking dealbreaker.

Sonova.

The game seems awesome, but I need my control stick on the right.  I can't function this way.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2009, 01:57:03 AM »

yeah i am having a hard time with the controls...dunno if its coming off the back of BF43 plane controls or what...Ace Combat Controls were mega,i know thats more arcade,but still

tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2009, 04:42:34 AM »

Quote from: skystride on July 29, 2009, 05:01:44 PM

The guy on SimHQ says the Saitek stick is the only flightstick for 360.  Didn't Ace Combat come with a flight stick too?  Or was it HAWX?

Ace Edge for 360
T-Flight Hotas for PS3

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2009, 10:32:54 AM »

I'm underwhelmed with the demo. Controlling the aircraft at levels above Arcade is near impossible with the 360 controller, especially the combination of rudder/throttle/view all on the right stick. The 360 controller might be good for a lot of things, but not for flying. Even in Arcade I keep finding myself screwing up the throttle.

Also I'm a longtime IL-2 player on the PC, but burned out on it a while ago. Unless you really get turned on by all the eye candy, there's just a lot of repetition in the WW2 air combat sims. And with the PC version of IL-2 Sturmovik being both cheaper and far more comprehensive than the anticipated console version, I'm going to pass on this game come September.

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2009, 11:18:15 AM »

Just check sensitivity and it should be ok. I find the scenarios a bit easy at the moment.

I can see how PC veterans find this too lame but I think for console owners the playing field will somewhat fair with most using this control rather than pro gear.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:33:23 AM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »

Quote from: marcusjm on July 30, 2009, 11:18:15 AM

Just check sensitivity and it should be ok. I find the scenarios a bit easy at the moment.
Thanks, hadn't considered that for the right stick, I'll give it a try. I don't seem to have too much of a problem with the left stick, but then I also am using Kontrolfreek thumbstick extenders.

My problem with the right stick is that when I click it to go into view mode I don't seem able to avoid accidentally lifting and pressing. That's not really an issue for the rudder but it screws up my throttle. I'm thinking that maybe the best fix for this would be to have the right stick dedicated for view, except if the bumpers are pressed. For instance, holding left bumper and moving the right stick fore and aft would adjust the throttle, while holding right bumper would enable the rudder on the right stick. Holding both bumpers would enable both. Not pressing either bumper leaves the right stick in view mode.

Really, even with the 360 stick, there just aren't enough controls available to do everything. My Saitek X52 stick and throttle units were the cat's meow for flight controls (especially for Falcon 4.0) and if I had continued on that game I was going to get the rudder pedals as well. The Saitek PC/360 combo stick is a decent compromise but still would be lacking for the ultimate simhead.

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »

I doubt consoles ever will be able to compete with that complexity jztemple2. Some dumbing down will always be done to even allow publishing.

Did you know btw. They had to practically threaten to stop development to even include sim mode. The publishers thought it would deter people form buying this game. There was a huge conflict before they won that battle.

This from their forums.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2009, 01:35:28 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on July 30, 2009, 11:34:59 AM

Thanks, hadn't considered that for the right stick, I'll give it a try. I don't seem to have too much of a problem with the left stick, but then I also am using Kontrolfreek thumbstick extenders.

Ugh, I thought they sounded like a great idea until I bought a pair. Couldn't stand them.  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2009, 01:52:32 PM »

Where is sensitivity controlled?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on July 30, 2009, 01:35:28 PM

Ugh, I thought they sounded like a great idea until I bought a pair. Couldn't stand them.  icon_neutral

Huh, surprised at that. You do need to allow yourself a couple of hours to get used to them, but I could tell the difference. I have big hands and with the normal 360 controller I had to bend my thumbs more than was comfortable and got cramps as a result. With the stick extenders I am able to play without discomfort.

I also got the U-shaped add on's, supposedly good for driving, but the stick extenders work fine for driving as well so I stuck with them for all gaming. The extenders of course also increase the stick travel as measured at the thumb/stick interface, so it allows a bit more precise movement of the sticks. This increases my skill from totally inept to relatively hopeless  icon_biggrin

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »

Quote from: kratz on July 30, 2009, 01:33:18 AM

If there is no way to swap the sticks in the *game*, it's going to be a super heartbreaking dealbreaker.

Sonova.

The game seems awesome, but I need my control stick on the right.  I can't function this way.

Is this not killing anyone else?  Not only is the stick a right hand thing in every flying game, console or PC ever, but it's also the aiming stick in all console FPS games.

How did this idiocy occur w/ this game?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2009, 04:08:17 PM »

Quote from: kratz on July 30, 2009, 03:36:24 PM

Sonova.

Is this not killing anyone else?  Not only is the stick a right hand thing in every flying game, console or PC ever, but it's also the aiming stick in all console FPS games.

Not bugging me at all.  I don't think I've ever done a console flight game with the right stick.  Since the left stick is the main one, and the main thing you do in these games is control the plane, it seems natural to me.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on July 30, 2009, 03:01:08 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on July 30, 2009, 01:35:28 PM

Huh, surprised at that. You do need to allow yourself a couple of hours to get used to them, but I could tell the difference. I have big hands and with the normal 360 controller I had to bend my thumbs more than was comfortable and got cramps as a result. With the stick extenders I am able to play without discomfort.

I also got the U-shaped add on's, supposedly good for driving, but the stick extenders work fine for driving as well so I stuck with them for all gaming. The extenders of course also increase the stick travel as measured at the thumb/stick interface, so it allows a bit more precise movement of the sticks. This increases my skill from totally inept to relatively hopeless  icon_biggrin

Dang, sorry, got them confused with the "U" shaped ones you mentioned, it's those I didn't like... hadn't seen the "extenders" before, may have to check them out.  icon_cool

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 30, 2009, 04:08:17 PM

Sonova.

Not bugging me at all.  I don't think I've ever done a console flight game with the right stick.  Since the left stick is the main one, and the main thing you do in these games is control the plane, it seems natural to me.

Doesn't really follow the conventional mapping for those used to FPS controls on a console.  Right stick is for aiming and left stick is for moving forward in a FPS.  So it would make sense to have throttle on the left and turning the plane on the right.

So they seem to be breaking both standard PC control and standard console FPS control conventions.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2009, 05:05:53 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 30, 2009, 04:47:18 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 30, 2009, 04:08:17 PM

Sonova.

Doesn't really follow the conventional mapping for those used to FPS controls on a console.  Right stick is for aiming and left stick is for moving forward in a FPS.  So it would make sense to have throttle on the left and turning the plane on the right.

So they seem to be breaking both standard PC control and standard console FPS control conventions.

But you're moving the plane (which is, essentially, your charater), not your view.  In many of these games, you can move the view with the right stick (including this one, if you awkwardly push it in).

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2009, 05:22:12 PM »

The Demo was pretty sweet, but the gamepad controls take awhile to get used to.
I don't like that they are not customizeable.

I didn't mind any of the controls except that the throttle is on the same side as the rudder controls.
The sticks are too sensitive (by design) to not inadvertently cause you to make throttle changes you may not want to make.

So I was constantly having to readjust the throttle during turns.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2009, 05:40:18 PM »

I've been playing a lot of Battlestations Pacific, where the controls are the RIGHT way, basically reverse the sticks from Il-2, and I have no issues.

I really, really hope this is just an issue with the demo, and that I can change it in the real game... because it looks like it should be otherwise awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: