http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:16:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IL-2 Sturmovik for Xbox and PS3?  (Read 5487 times)
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »

Yes, please!

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/39163/IL-2-Sturmovik-Birds-of-Prey-Trailer-Announcement
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 08:37:42 PM »

That could be awesome.  I wonder if there will be a HOTAS available.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:14:20 PM »

The moment I saw this thread's subject I wanted to jump in here and post a very enthusiastic "I'm IN day 1!"  However, after clicking the link I noticed that it isn't the 1C:Maddox studio -original creators of the PC IL2- that are devloping the 360 or PS3 versions. I'm going to remain a little skeptical that this will even feature a level of gameplay that you'd expect in a lite combat flightsim on the PC. It's good to hear that there will be an actual simulation mode, but to what degree of simulation remains to be seen. The game certainly looks very pretty. I'm also not sure why they're keeping IL2 Sturmovik in the name when that plane wasn't even flown in almost all of the theatres of war they listed; guess that's just brand recognition and marketing.

I'll most likely buy this game anyways, especially if it features offline multiplay.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:20:38 PM by kronovan » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:13:35 PM »

If I can plug in my USB joystick and use a keyboard, then I'm in.  If not, out.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 01:06:20 AM »

Never played any of the PC versions of IL-2 so I'll just say I want this game, but I hope its much more simmy than Blazing Angels while not being excessively hard.

That said, I'd still rather have a really awesome arcady Red Baron.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 01:22:44 AM »

Quote from: CSL on June 07, 2008, 01:06:20 AM

Never played any of the PC versions of IL-2 so I'll just say I want this game, but I hope its much more simmy than Blazing Angels while not being excessively hard.

That said, I'd still rather have a really awesome arcady Red Baron.

PC IL2 was a great sim. Plane bumped along as it rattled down the dirt runway. Most immersive flight sim i ever played. Never played a flight sim on a console, so i'll wait and see how it is.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 01:54:35 AM »

Speaking of which... where the hell is Flight Simulator for 360? Huh Microsoft? HUH?!
DLC opportunity up the wazoo.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 01:58:29 AM »

They might really dumb it down.  But on the other hand, consoles are big enough nowadays that this could really help attract realistic flight sim fans over.

I just hope they allow for flightsticks somehow.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 07:03:05 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 07, 2008, 01:58:29 AM

They might really dumb it down.  But on the other hand, consoles are big enough nowadays that this could really help attract realistic flight sim fans over.

I just hope they allow for flightsticks somehow.

Couldn't agree more with you Turtle, Chaoz, Jag, CSL and the rest. The time has come for a decent flightsim to make it's way to the 360 or PS3; whether it be lite or more advanced. While I think it's a step in the right direction that 1C is behind a 360 combat sim I think the 1st baby steps really need to be taken by Microsoft via a port of Flight Simulator X. Many -much less moneyed- figthsim dev studios are looking at the consoles, but with MS as such a big player in the civilian flightsim market, I think many of them are waiting for them to take the step.

In the meantime I'll challenge anyone who doesn't think the 360 or PS3 is ready for at least a lite flightsim. There's been a number or developments in the PC flightsim gaming genre that hint that it's ripe; i.e. I'm currently playing Darkstar One -depsite being a space sim modeled on standard flightsim avionics- with my 360 wireless controller and it plays very well. In the meantime 3rd Wire has recenly announced support for dual-analog controllers in their PC Strike Fighter series. The fact is, as a long standing flightsim enthusiast, I can look at my 360 controller or USB adapted PS2 dual shock and see all the necessary inputs for a decent flightsim experience; an anolog stick for roll and pitch and a 2nd analog stick for yaw and throttle. If the 360 can play home to such good lite simulation racing games such as Forza 2 and Colin McRae Rally -via BC- then I'm confident fltghtsims are viable and maketable as well. Hell you could easily argue that DiRT and GRID are more simulator than arcade racer. with the nature of the  360 demographic, coupled with how good sim racer sales have been, I just don't see a well executed flightsim not succeeding.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:15:08 AM by kronovan » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 07:21:30 AM »

I just kind of want flightsticks to be a bit more common.  This way we might see another steel battalion-like game using non-proprietary controllers that can be used across multiple games.  slywink

I'm actually not that big into flightsims, although I had great fun with my early attempts at IL-2 with all the realism turned down.  I got my first kill in a quick dogfight, blowing off a wing of my target and watching it spiral down.  Then the next person I amazingly managed to line up behind pulled a barrel roll, and while I was busy admiring that fact that what I saw was indeed a properly implemented barrel roll he lined up behind me and shot me down.

And in all frankness, flight sims or any sims, before could only run on PCs due to the hardware needs, but now consoles are somewhat high powered (still lacking in memory though).  Now that consoles are more powerful, and probably outnumber dedicated high end gaming PCs, it's just about time to try it.

However, the problem that limits smaller developers that do niche titles like this is it costs a lot to release games on these consoles, especially to get it out in disc form.  I suspect if we do see these games come out, initially they'll only be available on the download services or small runs.

By the way, the article mentions how the game will scale from arcade-like to simulation.  I'm fine with that, I actually thought that the original IL-2 could have had a few more options for less realism, along with a lot better training.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 05:00:01 AM »

Just an update, I saw the actual video of it, and I'd have to say that they probably kept a lot of the realism if you want it.  Even with the more arcade physics shown in the video it still erred on the side of realism and flight sim, as opposed to the arcadey Blazing Angels.

I'm not sure how well the game will play with a controller in full realism, but it should be interesting.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »

HAI SEXAY PICTURES.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 07, 2008, 07:21:30 AM

I just kind of want flightsticks to be a bit more common.  This way we might see another steel battalion-like game using non-proprietary controllers that can be used across multiple games.  slywink

Well I've got a USB joystick, I don't see why I can't stick it into my PS3 and have it automatically work with the game.  If it did that (and allowed a keyboard-why wouldn't it, it's a PC port for Gods sakes!) then I would totally pick this game up.  By the way, where are these videos you speak of?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »

Ok I found the video (in the first post-duh).  It looks beautiful and if it supports joystick then I'm totally in.  If they force you to play with a gamepad then forget about it.
IamChuckles
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 01:45:56 PM »

You might try using an xbox 360 gamepad with  Flight simulator X.  You can use one stick for flying and the other stick for views.  It is perfect for FS X!
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 04:36:16 PM »

Quote from: IamChuckles on June 09, 2008, 01:45:56 PM

You might try using an xbox 360 gamepad with  Flight simulator X.  You can use one stick for flying and the other stick for views.  It is perfect for FS X!

I've used the 360 gamepad for FSX and it works quite well. The WW2 aircraft having fewer controls would adapt decently to the controller. I would worry more about any tendency for the developers to "dumb down" the sim for the sake of the console crowd.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 10:01:52 PM »

HEREs the video for Birds of Prey

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »

I still have my Ace Combat 6 flightstick, and I'm really looking forward to this.  Jet Age combat is fun, but Prop plane combat still strikes me as the best.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 06:45:51 AM »

Man that terrain looks unreal!!
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 05:49:13 PM »

So, so, so there...
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »

Any chance they are releasing a joystick with this?  I'm thinking of maybe picking up a Ace Combat stick if it's available.  Is there any other joystick/hotas for 360?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 09:40:17 PM »

I hope this comes out for the PC geez.

New article

As is the rage, IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey's environs have been mapped using satellite data and historical records:

Like the new pics. heres a nice one...

Im worried that all Ive seen is console info and no pics at all of the cockpit view. I hope this isn't just an action game.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:43:29 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 04:43:56 AM »

Wow that looks great.  I'm all over this one.  Any details on multiplayer yet?

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 01:03:48 PM »

Good point about the cockpits! This will turn from a must buy to a maybe buy if there are no cockpits. I'm going to have to do some research on that.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 01:05:46 PM »

This mentions a cockpit view http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/991/991706p1.html
Hopefully it's correct.  thumbsup
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »

With arcade controls, handling your aircraft will be pretty easy and you'll have unlimited ammunition and fuel, and should be able to pull off moves like loops fairly easily. For the more hardcore crowd there'll be a simulation mode that's far more strict with regards to what can be done in the plane, and will lock your viewpoint to only the in-cockpit view. For anyone looking for mix between arcade and sim, there'll be realistic mode, where you'll still be able to flip between three camera views (behind the plane, from the nose, and in-cockpit), but will have more to be concerned about than in arcade.

Hopefully the gauges actually work.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 17, 2009, 02:39:52 PM

For the more hardcore crowd there'll be a simulation mode that's far more strict with regards to what can be done in the plane, and will lock your viewpoint to only the in-cockpit view.

That statement alone from the IGN article more or less seals the deal for me. This comment though leads me to think the mplay won't be as strong as the SP campaign:
There will be multiplayer modes as well, though details weren't being made available at our demo session. We were told they'll be more adversarial than cooperative, and there'll be four types of challenges
The statement "more adversarial than coopeartive" reads to me as there won't be split-screen or online co-op . Bummer as my son and I really enjoyed the co-op missions in Blazing Angels 2. Oh well, you can't have everything and I know I'm in the minority for some of my mplay preferences. For those wondering about HOTAS for the 360 or PS3, there's the Ace Combat Stick for 360 others have already mentioned -not sure if they're still available new - and Saitek has been making this stick for some time:

If you're thinking that's a dual throttle you'd be correct - separate thrust control for dual engine craft anyone. slywink Like most multi axis throttles it can be locked into a single axis. The 360 and PS3 versions also work on Windows XP or Vista. I had a chance to try it briefly on a friends rig and it's quite decent.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »

I got so excited when I saw this post that I forgot that I created it  saywhat
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 11:05:02 AM »

According to a Kotaku article, there will be a demo in the first week of August.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 02:33:06 PM »

Can't wait.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 06:38:29 PM »

ign hands-on and 3 new vids  drool

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/100/1005628p1.html

can't wait

SIM mode will be the only one to play for me
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »

Watching those videos makes me think how great a new Crimson Skies could be.

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 02:38:28 AM »

Cockpit view looks great! I can't f'n wait!!!
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 03:10:26 AM »

I played a lot of this game years ago when it came out on PC. Visually it looks the same and I see in the text in the SIM mode the instructor explaining the use of the trim tabs, so perhaps they have ported over all the nuances as well.

For me the big issue will be my controller. I'm thinking the standard 360 controller isn't going to hack it. Hopefully the new H.A.W.K. stick I saw in a Gamestop today will work with it.

Another issue is going to be frame rate. It would tank at times in the PC version and require elaborate ini settings and slider tweaks to get the right balance between fps and eye candy. While I know the 360 has a lot of graphics processing and this is really a five years or older game engine, still I hope they don't louse it up too badly.

Sure glad there's going to be a demo.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »

Ya I'm having a real hard time wrapping my mind around playing this game with a 360 controller. I don't have the the funds to buy the game and the controller so I'll have to see how this will work out.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 09:02:11 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on July 23, 2009, 07:03:19 PM

Ya I'm having a real hard time wrapping my mind around playing this game with a 360 controller. I don't have the the funds to buy the game and the controller so I'll have to see how this will work out.

As I've stated in other threads, you have most of the required axis for a decent level of realism on the 360 controller. For a quick run down; left stick for roll(aileron) & pitch(elevator), right stick for yaw(rudder) & throttle. The d-pad can be used as an 8 point hat for snap views. As well the left and right triggers are also analog so they can be mapped as throttles; separate throttle controls for 2 engine aircraft are even possible. Of course we've all played too many shooters, so most will want to leave them for guns &/or cannon slywink

I've tried the 360 controller in MS Flight Simulator, as have others here, and it works surprisingly well. Where the controller becomes a challenge is in a modern military jet sim where you need to map buttons for targeting and detection avionics. For a WWII era fighter/bomber however, with much less sophisticated avionics, the controller can be quite effective.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 09:26:48 PM »

I was having trouble thinking of how you would use the views. I guess the D-Pad would work. A set of pedals and using the right stick for view control would be awesome!
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 23, 2009, 09:02:11 PM

For a quick run down; left stick for roll(aileron) & pitch(elevator), right stick for yaw(rudder) & throttle.

Reverse that. smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 10:22:39 PM »

Quote from: kratz on July 23, 2009, 09:27:29 PM

Quote from: kronovan on July 23, 2009, 09:02:11 PM

For a quick run down; left stick for roll(aileron) & pitch(elevator), right stick for yaw(rudder) & throttle.

Reverse that. smile

Umm...not sure what you mean; roll/pitch on right with yaw/throttle on left, or roll/throttle on 1 stick with yaw/pitch on the other? If they allow custom control mappings in the game, all of those should be possible.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 11:03:32 PM »

Generally the 'stick' is on the right...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: