http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:04:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IGN Zelda review!  (Read 1533 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:18:01 AM »

Closing Comments
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is, in my opinion, the greatest Zelda game ever created and one of the best launch titles in the history of launch titles second only, perhaps, to the at-the-time ground-breaking Super Mario 64. It is also one of the finest games I have ever played. The experience is made better and not worse on Wii. The Wii remote and nunchuk add accuracy and speed to exploration and combat for a heightened sense of immersion. While the game has just about everything going for it, including improved controls, a long and engrossing quest, brain-teasing dungeons and some beautiful graphics, it's not perfect. The difficulty has been upped over Wind Waker, but I wish it were harder still the boss fights are oftentimes too easy, for example. Additionally, while the visuals are generally impressive, some textures remain blurry to the point they are noticeable. And finally, I still question why Nintendo refuses to add either voice work to the side characters (especially since Twilight Princess features such an improved, dark storyline) or orchestrated music to the soundtrack.

Nintendo's new console ships with Wii Sports, which effectively demonstrates a new breed of games only possible on Wii. The Zelda franchise is equally exclusive to the machine and Twilight Princess is must-see, must-play and must-own entry into the series that proves over and over again why Nintendo is the best developer in the world.

8.0 Presentation
A truly epic new Zelda complete with a compelling, darker storyline, enhanced controls, and brand new gameplay mechanics. Lack of voice acting and orchestrated music are unfortunate. 
8.5 Graphics
An absolutely gorgeous GameCube game. An enormous, detailed world brought to life via beautiful art. But Wii is still capable of much more, as the adventure's sometimes-blurry textures prove.
8.0 Sound
Again, where's the orchestrated music? Come on, Nintendo. Everything else is great, from the moody sound effects to the atmospheric MIDI compositions. 
9.5 Gameplay
Superb. The tried-and-true Zelda gameplay mechanics are taken to new heights with the Wii remote and nunchuk. Overworld and temple designs are stellar. Classic Zelda reborn for a new generation.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
It'll keep you busy for at least 50 hours and you could spend double that in Nintendo's new Hyrule. So much to do and see that you'll be busy for weeks, if not months.
Incredible OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Full review
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 04:21:19 AM by GatorFavre » Logged

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 06:35:56 AM »

I still love Nintendo games. Though I am curious. Who's closer to the truth, IGN, or Gamespot?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 06:45:13 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on November 18, 2006, 06:35:56 AM

I still love Nintendo games. Though I am curious. Who's closer to the truth, IGN, or Gamespot?

Hard to say without playing it, but the all of the other reivews so far have been 9+ so take that for whats its worth.  I dont really care about the reviews either way, but the Gamestop review differs from most.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 06:57:20 AM »

Dude, you always say "Gamestop" when you mean Gamespot   Tongue

Nevertheless, looks like this Zelda continues the fantastic tradition of Zelda quality.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 07:00:15 AM »

Quote from: depward on November 18, 2006, 06:57:20 AM

Dude, you always say "Gamestop" when you mean Gamespot   Tongue

Nevertheless, looks like this Zelda continues the fantastic tradition of Zelda quality.

So true, always do it when actually talking too! 

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 02:17:11 PM »

Well, I'm REALLY gonna try to get a Wii near day 1, and of course Zelda will come with it.  If I CAN'T, then I imagine that we'll have a review from somebody on staff pretty shortly thereafter.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 02:41:37 PM »

I'm going to stop reading any wii/zelda threads.  I just don't want to be tempted right now.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 03:13:39 PM »

Quote from: weleavefossils on November 18, 2006, 02:41:37 PM

I'm going to stop reading any wii/zelda threads.  I just don't want to be tempted right now.

Why try fighting it? You know that the Gaming Trend Forum Effect will make you buy the game/console in the end.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 03:56:08 PM »

Quote from: weleavefossils on November 18, 2006, 02:41:37 PM

Then take control of the temptation, and be smart about it. Can't afford the system now? Get a jar and put ten, fifteen, twenty bucks in it every weekend. That way you can say that, "hell yes I'm getting a Wii!!" but also know you're not getting your mits on it quite yet.

One thing to note, it helps if the jar is covered in mushrooms and stars.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 03:07:20 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 18, 2006, 03:13:39 PM

Why try fighting it? You know that the Gaming Trend Forum Effect will make you buy the game/console in the end.  icon_biggrin

I know it's so true.

Quote from: Dafones on November 18, 2006, 03:56:08 PM

Then take control of the temptation, and be smart about it. Can't afford the system now? get a jar and put ten, fifteen, twenty bucks in it every weekend. That way you can say that, "hell yes I'm getting a Wii!!" but also know you're not getting your mits on it quite yet.

One thing to note, it helps if the jar is covered in mushrooms and stars.

That is a good idea, though it's not really a money issue.  It's more of a time issue as well as feeling guilty spending a lot on myself when I need to get other people presents.  I honestly will probley end up doing some trade ins or possible ebay sales to get up the money to buy it anyway.  Seeing as how it plays gamecube games I'll probley trade in my gamecube for it anyway.  Anyone know how much a trade in is going for anyway?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 03:16:43 AM »

Quote from: weleavefossils on November 19, 2006, 03:07:20 AM

Anyone know how much a trade in is going for anyway?

Before the Wii launched, I believe the console was going for $50 at your local EB. Now I don't know.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 03:46:38 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 19, 2006, 03:16:43 AM

Before the Wii launched, I believe the console was going for $50 at your local EB. Now I don't know.

Cubes have been trading in for 25 bucks for a while now.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 05:35:18 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 19, 2006, 03:46:38 AM

Quote from: Destructor on November 19, 2006, 03:16:43 AM

Cubes have been trading in for 25 bucks for a while now.

And here I thought the Gamecube was worth more than that.  icon_biggrin

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 03:45:33 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 19, 2006, 05:35:18 AM

Sometimes it is...not long ago there was a trade offer that gave an extra 20 bucks on system trade-ins, including GC.
That would have brought it to $45, which isn't bad at all.
Especially this time of year, you never know what wackiness might ensue, so keep your ears and eyes open.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 04:07:21 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 19, 2006, 03:45:33 PM

Quote from: Destructor on November 19, 2006, 05:35:18 AM

Sometimes it is...not long ago there was a trade offer that gave an extra 20 bucks on system trade-ins, including GC.
That would have brought it to $45, which isn't bad at all.
Especially this time of year, you never know what wackiness might ensue, so keep your ears and eyes open.

However, mine has the broadband adapter and the GBA player (the latter add-on is selling for a lot more than the former, oddly), so I can e-bay/half.com it for a lot more than that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 04:13:55 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 19, 2006, 04:07:21 PM

However, mine has the broadband adapter and the GBA player (the latter add-on is selling for a lot more than the former, oddly), so I can e-bay/half.com it for a lot more than that.

It's not like there's any games that actually supported the Broadband Adapter. Isn't PSO shut down for the Gamecube?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 04:27:38 PM »

We had a GB Player traded in yesterday...I think it was 16 bucks. I was surprised how much it was.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 07:24:09 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 18, 2006, 04:18:01 AM

Incredible OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
Clearly it's not an average, because if you did actually average the scores, you'd get 8.7, which is just a tenth of a point off of Gamespot's review.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 08:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 19, 2006, 04:13:55 PM

It's not like there's any games that actually supported the Broadband Adapter. Isn't PSO shut down for the Gamecube?

Maybe, but the main selling point of the broadband adaptor and Phantasy Star Online was to use the PSOLoader application.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: