http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:35:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IGN Writing?  (Read 2763 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2004, 02:26:06 PM »

Ok, I'm noticing a trend here...am I the only one?  IGN's Full Spectrum Warrior review slammed the game over and over and then praised it in the last paragraph, it gets a 9.2.  (We'll ignore that the writer has never even seen a gun up close...uh 'you don't shoot the trigger'  Well, that's right!  You don't shoot the trigger, you pull it.  Not a military buff by the writing)

Add the same sort of content on Riddick.  Name a FPS or Third Person Shooter that is longer than 10 hours long, maybe a handful...so why the complaints?  Then he praises all over the game again.

Now we have Front Mission 4.  A completely unflattering review with the reviewer expecting something that the genre isn't built for (action complaints on a turn based strategy game) and then complaints that the AI is dumb but battles can last for 100 rounds.  Well...I suspect if you have some skill, the battles would be shorter.  

I dunno....I just seem to see a drop in their ability to objectively review games, even lower than it was before.  I don't say this as a competitor,  (we can't compete, they get 13X more traffic than we do) I say it as a writer and a gamer.

Am I all alone in this?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 02:38:37 PM »

The wrong person reviewed both games.  Douglass C. Perry is now the head of the Xbox section at IGN.  Before that he was the head of the PS2 division for a number of years.  Even though I may disagree with Hilary Goldstein's (guy, not a girl) scores, he does write rather well, especially on sports games.  Perry is not as good of a writer in my opinion.  I'm just glad to have Goldstein back.

As for Front Mission 4, if I remember Ivan used to be (or still is) an IGN PC writer who does "fly by night" work on PS2.  I think he went into this game with a PC mentality and didn't let it soak in.  EGM gave Front Mission 4 all 8s.

I think IGN is stretching very thin.  I think there are only 2 people on the Xbox side, 3 on PS2 and 2 on GameCube...that's pretty sparse in my opinion.  Yes, they have interns, but the interns don't write the reviews.  It's sister site Gamespy has a better group of writing talent and each writer does all systems...only problem is they have obviously been influenced by IGN via the merger as I see a "sameness" in the review scores.

Gamespot to me is still the best online mag out of the "big ones" (note I don't include us, because we aren't one of the "big ones") and I am amazed that Greg Kasavin can do all these reviews like he has been.  He has lots of help, but he seems to take on many of the big releases himself.

IGN's biggest problem in my opinion is that their reviews are too long at least on the Xbox side.  Hilary can go on for 5+ pages and Douglass punted out two 5 pagers in less than a week.  They need to hone the reviews down and maybe their writing will get better.  Of course, this is just me criticizing what I see as the problem...others may have other opinions.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 02:39:03 PM »

The writing has definitely gone down hill at IGN the past few months.  I have found that the writing is far better here and at Teamxbox for that matter.  People should be assigned to review games in genres they actually like in my opinion.  If I were a reviewer, I shouldn't be assigned a Final Fantasy game to review because I have never liked them.  It seems lately IGN reviewers are stuck reviewing games in genres they don't like or primarily, they know absolutely nothing about.

Wake up.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 02:58:19 PM »

I think the problem many times is the Editing. A good editor would pick up on those issues. I can't count the misspelled words, incomplete sentences, etc. I've seen over the last year. I rarely visit any ign site anymore, save for the DVD reviews. Which is funny, because they had a person with admitted vision issues review Spy Kids 3-D. Why I still visit...not sure.

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 04:43:28 PM »

IGN has reviews? All I see now are big ads. Tongue
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 04:51:41 PM »

I stopped going to IGN after the E3 redesign.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 05:53:33 PM »

TeamXbox - now owned by IGN, by the way - is still my favorite Xbox site, even though I think they score games too high in their reviews.  But at least they are consistent.

I used to really enjoy reading IGN reviews - hence the subscription - but Gamespot and TeamXbox are what I read more often.  I'll probably switch from Gamespot to IGN when the subscription runs out at the end of this year.  IGN is great for movies.  And I agree with SImon that the in Inyourface Interface is too heavy on ads and full of a lot of junk links that I don't believe anyone can make much sense of.  Gamespot isn't much better in that regard.

I wish Console Gold actually put more items on its front page - at least enough to stretch to the bottom of the small game icons that run down the lower left side.  But their Advanced Search is totally, totally awesome.  Every site should have one.  Good job, guys!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 06:02:07 PM »

Ron -

To answer your question "Am I all alone in this?"

NO, you are not.

In my opinion, IGN is a joke.  And a big one at that.

(No offense to the people that like the site, but their reviews are laughable to me)

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 08:40:27 PM »

Quote from: "Simon"
IGN has reviews? All I see now are big ads. Tongue

Mmmm... McGriddles..... biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
daszo24
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 01:18:05 AM »

I agree about the FSW review in particular.  I mean the guy was reviewing it as a first person shooter and not as a realistic tactical strategy game, which is really what it is.

I was really surprised to see how highly he reviewed it.  I don't want to brag here, but I could review a game better than that, even if my scores didn't really correspond to my review extremely well.

Xbox Live Tag: daszo  (PGR2, Splinter Cell: PT, Colin Mcrae 04, Sega GT Online)
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 04:24:52 PM »

Speaking of bad reviews, I picked up the recent issue of OXM and read their review of Rallisport Challenge 2. What was completely amazing to me is that in both the review and the ratings summary, they didn't mention Live whatsoever. That's a huge portion of the game and they completely ignored it.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 06:21:01 PM »

OXM is like a freebie that comes with the demo disk.  I hope as the general age of gamers and the popularity of it expands, we get to see more mags for the older crowd.  The general level of writing in these things is remarkably poor.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 01:29:27 AM »

I only skim the IGN reviews.  I can't read them because they just seem to say a whole lot of nothing.  I mean, how can you fill four pages like that?  It feels like they mainly do that to get more total hits.

They are definitely stretched out thin, but part of it is that they are trying to be all things to all people.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2004, 04:11:32 AM »

Hey, don't knock the McGriddles.  Those things are addictive.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: