http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 09:18:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IGN Titan Quest review  (Read 20784 times)
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2006, 05:28:24 AM »

Is there any reason to get the dvd version over the cd?  gogamer has the cd version for $10 cheaper...

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2006, 01:45:17 PM »

Quote from: "Yossarian"
Is there any reason to get the dvd version over the cd?  gogamer has the cd version for $10 cheaper...

To the best of my knowledge, the only difference is the number of discs you have to put in during install.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
siege

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2006, 03:58:28 AM »

Quote from: "Yossarian"

No, same game, but 1 DVD to 5 CDS. If you're worried about a long install time, don't be. It took all of 5 minutes to install with the CD version.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
Q!!
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2006, 05:20:12 AM »

Christ, this game is buggy.  Just picked it up this afternoon, and played for about 2 hours.  Got the part where you have to kill a Centaur boss (Narcus, or something like that).  Killed him, went back to the camp to complete the quest...and suddenly everything freezes and I get a sound loop.  About 10 seconds later, my system reboots!  Thought that was odd, but started the game up to try again.  The boss is alive again, so I kill kim a second time, start collecting the loot, and the same thing happens.  Try it a third time and, you guessed it, same thing.  Check the tech support boards and it looks like a couple other people are having the same problem, but the only advice from the devs is that it's a known problem with Razor mice.  I'm using a MS wireless.

So I figure I'll try one more time.  Load up the game, and suddenly my 7th level character is back at the beginning!  Quests, & items are still there, but he's back at the start.  Exit back to the main screen, and reload the game.  This time, he's back at the Spartan War Camp (where I originally started having the problems), but now the quest log is empty (both main & secondary), and none of the quest trigger people will trigger.  They don't have the '!' abov their heads, so I can't go any further.

Looks like I'm going to try a reinstall & start-over.  I just hope it works this time.  What little I played, I really enjoyed.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2006, 11:40:20 AM »

Peope with razor mice, I believe, had to turn that software off.  Doesnt your mouse come with similiar software?  Maybe that is cause. Hope that helps, this really is a good game smile
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2006, 02:26:28 PM »

I highly recommend manually backing up your characters.  I have two folders that I alternate copy the entire SaveData folder in to.  My friend lost his level 27 character in a similar fashion (level 1, no equipment, no quests).

I finished the game on Normal last night with a Paladin (Warfare/Spirit).  I have to say that I almost wish I had gone straight Warfare.  Great game!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2006, 03:13:42 PM »

Why is it that when people experience a problem they automatically assume the game is at fault and not something on their system? There are many of us who have put in dozens of hours and experienced no problems whatsoever.

I would try deleting the last quest file for that character and see what happens. I don't recall the extension offhand.

I remember there used to be a lot of problems with Diablo II where people would crash at a certain spot. I don't know if this is the same sort of thing, but that was usually corrupted sprite data. If you do reinstall, it might be a good idea to make sure your other programs (antivirus etc) are all turned off.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2006, 03:21:37 PM »

Anyone know how to get a screenshot in this game?

Byte me
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2006, 03:33:56 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Why is it that when people experience a problem they automatically assume the game is at fault and not something on their system? There are many of us who have put in dozens of hours and experienced no problems whatsoever.

When I can run any other game (the last 3 days have been a marathon of Oblivion, Quake, and AoE III; all without a single lock, reboot, or technical issue), but TQ randomly reboots my system after an hour or two.  That leads me to believe it's a problem with the game, not with my system.  If it were a system issue (drivers, overheating, etc.), it would manifest itself in other games as well.

EDIT:  After a little more digging, the devs say it  may be related to RealTEK audio (which I have), and they are 'investigating the problem'.  I'll try their software acceleration fix (looks like it's got mixed results), and see if that helps.

Anyways, looks like I'm out of luck.  I just reinstalled and started a new game, and I get the same thing.  I thought it may be some sort of bug in that particular spot (Sparta Camp).  However, this time it happened only after an hour of play, in a completely different spot.   Hard lock, and about 5 seconds later, the system reboots.

Man, that's frustrating.  I was really enjoying this game.  I'll see if I can get anything from the tech support board, but my guess is that it will headed to the Trading Forum.  frown

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2006, 04:11:46 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
If it were a system issue (drivers, overheating, etc.), it would manifest itself in other games as well.

Not necessarily. Sometimes, new software necessitates new drivers etc. At any rate, I do hope your issues get worked out so you can play more.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »

If it were a system issue (drivers, overheating, etc.), it would manifest itself in other games as well.

Not necessarily. Sometimes, new software necessitates new drivers etc. At any rate, I do hope your issues get worked out so you can play more.

True, and FWIW all the video, sound, mobo, DX, etc., drivers are updated.

I'm really hoping I can get it to work as well.  I'm a sucker for anything fantasy-based, sword & sorcery, hack-n-slash, so TQ is right up my alley.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2006, 05:50:27 PM »

Quote from: "ANZAC"

If you hit print screen it copies the screen to your clipboard, then you can open up a graphics program and hit paste and save it to disk. Apparently there is no option to go to disk directly.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2006, 08:13:48 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Quote from: "ANZAC"

If you hit print screen it copies the screen to your clipboard, then you can open up a graphics program and hit paste and save it to disk. Apparently there is no option to go to disk directly.

This is actually my #1 complaint about this game (though I don't really have any big complaints, to be honest...).

Silly, I know, but I love taking screenshots in games and sharing good ones with friends.  I was more upset at losing my screenshots archive in my old hard drive when it recently crashed than at losing anything else aside from my Diablo 2 single-player saves.  That was the worst.  frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2006, 03:05:51 AM »

Well, I'm officially done with TQ. I tried disabling the audio acceleration as the devs suggested. That worked for quite a while (the better part of 2 hours), but it eventually did the same hard lock & reboot that it had been doing before. Of course it was right after I received my first 2 unique drops of the game. And of course my save game was corrupted and my quest log got borked again. Major cursing at the screen ensued.

I want to like TQ, but apparently TQ doesn't want to like me. It's just not worth it to keep starting over and fighting the technical issues this one has, at least with my system. I don't understand why every other game runs fine, but this one has such problems.

So, as much as it pains me to do it, TQ will be up in the trading forum in a few minutes. frown

depward

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2006, 03:11:17 AM »

Well, I'm officially done with TQ. I tried disabling the audio acceleration as the devs suggested. That worked for quite a while (the better part of 2 hours), but it eventually did the same hard lock & reboot that it had been doing before. Of course it was right after I received my first 2 unique drops of the game. And of course my save game was corrupted and my quest log got borked again. Major cursing at the screen ensued.

I want to like TQ, but apparently TQ doesn't want to like me. It's just not worth it to keep starting over and fighting the technical issues this one has, at least with my system. I don't understand why every other game runs fine, but this one has such problems.

So, as much as it pains me to do it, TQ will be up in the trading forum in a few minutes. frown

Exactly what happened to me.  It's a shame, really - there's a very enjoyable game under the consta-crashing I was enduring.  Ah well, at least it's going to a good home   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2006, 03:16:54 AM »

Have you guys run hijackthis or something similar to make sure there isn't something screwy with your systems? Not to beat a dead horse but I used to see this kind of thing over and over again on the City of heroes forums where people would say everything else ran great, but it turned out they had spyware infestations.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2006, 03:46:33 AM »

Have you guys run hijackthis or something similar to make sure there isn't something screwy with your systems? Not to beat a dead horse but I used to see this kind of thing over and over again on the City of heroes forums where people would say everything else ran great, but it turned out they had spyware infestations.

Not a bad idea, but I highly doubt I've got any nasties.  I've only had the computer 3 days, and the only sites I've visited are OO, CG, manufacturer driver update sites, and the TQ forums.  I think it pretty unlikely that one of them would give my system a nasty.

Dep:  What's your system specs?  I'm wondering if we can maybe nail down a common culprit.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2006, 04:09:19 AM »

Not a bad idea, but I highly doubt I've got any nasties.  I've only had the computer 3 days, and the only sites I've visited are OO, CG, manufacturer driver update sites, and the TQ forums.  I think it pretty unlikely that one of them would give my system a nasty.

Dep:  What's your system specs?  I'm wondering if we can maybe nail down a common culprit.

Nope, just ran a Adware run and had zip, zilch, nada.

I'm running a AMD Athlon XP 2700+, gig-O-ram, RADEON X800 GTO, Turtle Bay soundcard.  I had a Razer mouse installed and even uninstalled that and still got crashes.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2006, 06:08:40 AM »

Anyone else getting eye strain from the game, by the way?  I've got my system running at 75 hz (same as my LCD) and vsync is on.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2006, 06:19:30 AM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Anyone else getting eye strain from the game, by the way?  I've got my system running at 75 hz (same as my LCD) and vsync is on.

I'm running the same refresh and vsync on, but on a CRT.  I've been OK so far.

My mouse hand is getting a bit tired though...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2006, 01:26:06 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Nope, just ran a Adware run and had zip, zilch, nada.

That alone is insufficient IMO.

Gratch, you already said you updated everything after you got the new machine, right? Not trying to be argumentative, just hoping we'll hit on something to get it working for you.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2006, 01:58:23 PM »

No worries Misguided, I appreciate it.    

I'm going to put it on the trading block for now, and maybe come back to it once they've had time to patch out some of the bugs.  I'm 15 hours into Oblivion (and just scratching the surface), a couple hours into Quake IV, and have been piddling around with AoE III.  So it's not like I'm hard up for something to play.  smile

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2006, 02:32:44 PM »

Man I just love this game!

I ended up making a bunch of characters just to try them, as each mastery is so cool in it's own way.

The one I play the most is my Sage (hunter/storm), as no matter how many times I shoot things with arrows that move as fast as bullets, it never seems to get old... ever!

Shoot ----  Electrical Arrow to the brain  ----  Dead.

So damn mindless and fun!

I would like to see them add a martial artist (kung-fu type) to the expansion.  Then it could be...

Spinning Kick ---- Electrical foot to the brain ---- Dead.   biggrin

Grade So Far:  A

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2006, 05:17:05 PM »

What is this CG you speak of?   :wink:

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2006, 05:40:23 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"

What is this CG you speak of?   :wink:

Doh!  Old habits, and all that.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: July 11, 2006, 06:08:20 PM »

I have a Nature/Earth Summoner (21st level) on my lappy, and my Warden (Hunter/Defense) (10th level) on my desktop.  I have to admit that playing my Warden is becoming more fun that lobbing volcanic lava at people.   I'm surprised...not usually a bow kinda guy.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2006, 06:23:55 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I have a Nature/Earth Summoner (21st level) on my lappy, and my Warden (Hunter/Defense) (10th level) on my desktop.  I have to admit that playing my Warden is becoming more fun that lobbing volcanic lava at people.   I'm surprised...not usually a bow kinda guy.

The funny part is that the game has many ways to play - my Earth/Rogue has no ranged attacks (short of the trap thing you can set up as a Rogue) and relies only on the summon and the obscene melee damage I do (took and powered up all the 'on hit' abilities) as defense.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 11, 2006, 08:41:26 PM »

anyone tell me how to kill the final boss? im a level 30 dual weilder am i just not strong enough? almost all my gear is nice what gives is there some trick. He squashes me like a bug
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2006, 03:14:52 AM »

Normal, epic or legendary titan Goldchamp?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2006, 03:21:17 AM »

BTW, if you're ever bored and you want your female avatar to show off a bit more...skin, then visit the link below:

Titan Quest New Character Models (NSFW!!)

And no, I didn't go searching for this. I just browse the forums every so often.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: July 12, 2006, 04:06:26 AM »

Two things about the nekkid mods.

1) the first woman pictured, with a thumbnail, if you click on it the shadow makes it look like she has a big... spear hanging between her legs.  Also, the shading makes her polygon boobs like like they are filled with silicone

2) dark elf pic = ruby red nipples

3) if I had this game I'd "go Amazon"

4) when is Jack Thompson going to find out and freak out, forcing the ESRB to re-classify the game as AO and have it pulled from shelves?

Why did I just admit I looked, even though I don't even have this game?  I'm scared to buy it because it seems hit-or-miss, but I've enjoyed reading the 7 pages about it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2006, 03:03:15 PM »

Thanks to continued badgering by KD and the absolute graciousness of My Fair Lady I picked up Titan Quest yesterday and poured a few hours into it. Installed with one glitch where it said it couldn't load one particular file but I managed to get through fine. Loaded, patched it immediately, reset all the visuals to a nice 1280X1024 with AA turned off and the rest of the details maxed then started it up.

Hello Diablo 3, pleasure to meet you.

I'm almost to the Oracle of Delphi and not level 10 yet so I have a question for everyone. Everywhere I'm looking people say how they have a dual this or a dual that (warrior/earth-spellcaster or something, for example) but I haven't seen this. Am I just not far enough to get to the customization options like that?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2006, 03:12:36 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Thanks to continued badgering by KD and the absolute graciousness of My Fair Lady I picked up Titan Quest yesterday and poured a few hours into it. Installed with one glitch where it said it couldn't load one particular file but I managed to get through fine. Loaded, patched it immediately, reset all the visuals to a nice 1280X1024 with AA turned off and the rest of the details maxed then started it up.

Hello Diablo 3, pleasure to meet you.

I'm almost to the Oracle of Delphi and not level 10 yet so I have a question for everyone. Everywhere I'm looking people say how they have a dual this or a dual that (warrior/earth-spellcaster or something, for example) but I haven't seen this. Am I just not far enough to get to the customization options like that?

At level 8 you should have opened up the ability to pick a second mastery.  Hit S and check and see if you now have two tabs instead of one.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2006, 03:14:47 PM »

I see the two tabs but I can't access anything on the second tab. I think I'm only level 7 though so that could be why.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2006, 08:45:11 PM »

Yes, at level 8 you get to pick anther mastery.  Or you can tab back to the first one and put all of your points in to it if you wish and remain a 'pure' single class.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »

I finally decided to go Warfare/Earth masteries so my Battlemage has come together. Volcanic orb is indeed quite the crowd pleaser, as is the stone/fire golem you can summon to tank for you. My guy is a dual-wielding badass of pure fury now and it's awesome to wade into a group of enemies, let them swarm for a second, then unleash and watch their bodies go flying.

Utter bliss.

But I have a question regarding these powers: Which Earth powers would you recommend boosting? Is it better to max out the bar on the left fully then go about boosting individual skills? I like the one skill that adds fire damage to your weapons once it's active because with some of the charmed equipment I have now the damage stacks extremely well.

Also, which Warfare skills should I go about maxing out and which ones would be fine to ignore?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: