http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:46:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IGN Titan Quest review  (Read 20509 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2006, 11:17:57 PM »

I'm about halfway through the Orient now and one thing is kind of bugging me.  I have been collecting the Charms and Relics since the beginning of the game and combining them as I go.  I now have more that one bag FULL of these things.  Almost four rows of completed ones and the rest partially completed sets.  And they are all but useless because you can't use them on any Epic (blue) or better equipment, which is everything on my body except my rings, amulet and bracers.  So from here on out that element of collection and customization is basically useless.  What a shame.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2006, 12:44:32 AM »

So I decide to try out some of the fixes on the Tech boards, so I do one of the more drastic and delete the quest file which will reset your quest log to nothing, but allows me to play my toon.

So I blaze through the quest and I get to AThens.  I defeat the Minatour Boss outside of Telkine room and I am about to portal and sell and the games CRASHES and gives me a blue screen of death.  First time for this.  So after XP restarts automatically I go back in to my game and my lvl21 Assassion is back outside of Helos with a empty quest log. 3 Hours of playtime down the drain.  :evil:  :roll:   :evil:

Methinks the signs are telling me that despite how fun this game really appears  I just need to get rid of it.  FUCK!  

At least I got it as with a Best Buy gift card.

-EDIT-Well, I think I solved my crashing issue and was able to make it to Eygpt after blazing through the main quest in Greece.  The good thing about all this I suppose is that my lvl 22 Assassin now has some kick ass epics.  Two Bloodstone rings, Soul Carver, Hyperion Breastplate, Two Pieces of the Obsidian Set (Helm and Hand Axe), and another Hand Axe I forget the name.  Also, got a nice green dagger called Deathweaver's Legtip.  It has a stat that I don't understand

Deathweaver's Legtip
60 poison damage
5.0% chance +257% poison damage
2-8 bonus damage

Can somone explain 5.0 chance +257% poison dmg?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
unbreakable
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2006, 06:18:57 AM »

I encountered one bug which pissed me off really bad: if you get skill points from a quest, spend them ASAP, and DON'T undo.

I had 10 points saved up, some of them were bonus points from a quest.  I hit undo, and lost a bunch of skill points... and it didn't even undo.

Eng#9: I didn't know that.  I've been saving them up too.  I guess I'll just start using them, then.

Also... I opened up a thread about trading items.  I'm looking for Theban set pieces, and have blues/greens to trade (among other stuff).
unbreakable
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2006, 10:13:38 AM »

Ok, here is some of my phat l3wt:

Theban Crested Helm (it's a set item)
46 Armor
49% Stun Resist
+11% Health Regen
+14 Defense Ability
Grants Skill: Armor Handling
requires Str 133

Raging Bull (Axe)
33-42 damage
Speed: Average
+28% damage
30% chance of 2-4 sec Stun
+9% Pierce damage
+5% Strength

Outrider's Buckler
16% Block 50
25 Dmg
10% Chance for 92% Dmg Resistance
15% Pierce Resist
12% Fire Resist
+6 Str
+8 Dex
+8% Attack Speed
req lvl 3, Str 50, Dex 70

And I started a trade thread in the multiplayer forum.  I listed two blues I have, a sword and a shield.  I have a bunch of greens as well, but didn't feel like writing all of it down.
Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2006, 10:46:48 AM »

Is there a way to store items (like a bank) instead of keeping my inv full of other stuff?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2006, 11:24:19 AM »

Quote from: "Slipblade"
Is there a way to store items (like a bank) instead of keeping my inv full of other stuff?

No

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2006, 11:39:29 AM »

I would love to have a bank vault/town chest like diablo had, even better would be if the chest was shared amongst all your characters.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2006, 12:24:16 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Deathweaver's Legtip
60 poison damage
2-8 bonus damage

I'd guess it means that 1 out of 20 times, your poison attacks will do two and a half times as much damage as normal.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2006, 01:08:50 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I would love to have a bank vault/town chest like diablo had, even better would be if the chest was shared amongst all your characters.

Yeah, that would've been a really nice feature. Heck - just having a bank period would've been nice.

We can all hope for it in a patch, I guess.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2006, 02:28:11 PM »

I've found about 5 epics so far.  Two different sets of armor, two different shields, a bow, and a mace.  I'm at work, otherwise I would post the stats.

Great game.

glyc

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2006, 02:35:36 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Deathweaver's Legtip
60 poison damage
2-8 bonus damage

I'd guess it means that 1 out of 20 times, your poison attacks will do two and a half times as much damage as normal.

Exactly, it has a 5% chance to proc (to go off)
It is most likely calculated as a chance to hit which means you need to roll a 20. If you roll a 20 you will do 257% poison damage.
(Rolling a 20 is done by the code, and it may not be based on that number, but many games use the same principles as D&D)

This would be based on your normal poison damage.
The weapon has 60 poison damage, and you would add any buffs and other sources of poison damage and then multiply that by 2.57.

Just base weapon alone would give you 154.2 points of poison damage every time you roll a 20!

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2006, 05:00:07 PM »

Aw man, I have that Outrider's Buckler too, Unbreakable.  I'm running a Defense/Warfare build, and when that shield dropped, I cheered.  biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2006, 05:23:46 PM »

Ok, here is some of my phat l3wt:

the funniest part of the bards tale (new console one) was the inn called "The Fat Lute" - i laughed my ass off
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2006, 03:30:54 AM »

I'm going to switch it up a little and ask what you guys would like to see in the inevitable expansion/sequel?  

Personally, I think it would fit fairly well to explore into Norse lands and mythology.  And then allow 2-handed weapons so I can use a big ol' broadsword to chop of some wendel heads!

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2006, 04:45:48 AM »

Exactly, it has a 5% chance to proc (to go off)
It is most likely calculated as a chance to hit which means you need to roll a 20. If you roll a 20 you will do 257% poison damage.
(Rolling a 20 is done by the code, and it may not be based on that number, but many games use the same principles as D&D)

This would be based on your normal poison damage.
The weapon has 60 poison damage, and you would add any buffs and other sources of poison damage and then multiply that by 2.57.

I think it is 3.57.
unbreakable
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2006, 05:28:48 AM »

Quote from: "Farscry"
Aw man, I have that Outrider's Buckler too, Unbreakable.  I'm running a Defense/Warfare build, and when that shield dropped, I cheered.  biggrin

I'm doing Warfare/Defense.  Actually, I wanted to have a dual weild guy, but for some reason my DPS tanks when I equip a second weapon.  I'm starting to have my doubts over whether dual weild is a viable build... plus, like you said, that shield is freakin incredible.
Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2006, 11:55:48 AM »

Im running a War/Def build.  Running with 2 blue weapons at my lvl 18 my average dps is 60 (roughly).   I will try to get screen shots of character to show you what I have.  Im pretty happy with the build but I have been working on my DPS then defense. KD doing the magic and healing which is a great party to work with.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2006, 01:27:13 PM »

Quote from: "Slipblade"
Im running a War/Def build.  Running with 2 blue weapons at my lvl 18 my average dps is 60 (roughly).   I will try to get screen shots of character to show you what I have.  Im pretty happy with the build but I have been working on my DPS then defense. KD doing the magic and healing which is a great party to work with.

My Assassin (Warfare/Rogue) DW and I have a AVG DPS of 115 at lvl 23.  I don't have much defense so I go through alot of heal potions, but damn if I don't put out alot of HURT!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2006, 02:18:51 PM »

I'm probably going to pick this one up today, but I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the difficulty.  These games get boring fast if they are too easy (e.g. Dark Alliance 2).

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2006, 02:53:42 PM »

Quote from: "Hotfreak"
I'm probably going to pick this one up today, but I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the difficulty.  These games get boring fast if they are too easy (e.g. Dark Alliance 2).

I'm going to guess it depends on your build and your luck with loot. On Normal difficulty there is little challenge for my build (Assassin), though I have managed to get myself killed 8 times in 18 levels. The only thing that will kill you is getting sloppy or getting mobbed. There is a refresh timer on potions which is the only thing that really can cause trouble for me since potions are cheap compared to the loot you pick up.

I haven't seen the later parts of the game or the higher difficulty levels yet. In the 10 hours or so I have played I'm still very much interested.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
unbreakable
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »

Gold becomes worthless fast.  I think I have about 600,000g.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2006, 10:58:01 PM »

How is that worthless? I'm still in Greece and have seen vendor items that would sell for nearly half that.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
unbreakable
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2006, 11:34:26 PM »

And you would use a vendor item... why?

It's worthless in the Diablo 2 sense.  Sure, you might see something which is a temporary upgrade from what you have, but the best items are always found, not purchased (which was a big difference from Diablo 1, btw).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2006, 12:47:31 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
And you would use a vendor item... why?

It's worthless in the Diablo 2 sense.  Sure, you might see something which is a temporary upgrade from what you have, but the best items are always found, not purchased (which was a big difference from Diablo 1, btw).

Because they're occasionally nice items?

I bought a green ring that does lightning damage (like 5-7 per hit, plus 15% or something like that) for 300k or so. Attached to a Very Fast weapon, that item becomes nothing to sneeze at.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2006, 04:03:33 AM »

I've found that the green vendor items actually get cheaper the further I went in the game!  As I mentioned in an early post, I bought some early green items from a vendor for over 200k gold, but for the last half of the game I hardly see any that go for over 100k even though they are obviously superior to the lower level items.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2006, 04:08:31 AM »

Has anyone had any problems with just randon exiting?  I played the demo and it ran flawlessly.  Now that I have the full version, twice now I'll just be in the first village after starting the game and it'll just close out.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
depward

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2006, 04:31:42 AM »

GAH another stupid crash right after I killed that first "boss" thing after visiting the first village for the first time.  Come on now!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2006, 04:42:41 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Has anyone had any problems with just randon exiting?  I played the demo and it ran flawlessly.  Now that I have the full version, twice now I'll just be in the first village after starting the game and it'll just close out.

There is a known memory leak. The patch comes out tomorrow and should fix it, so they say.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2006, 05:25:35 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

There is a known memory leak. The patch comes out tomorrow and should fix it, so they say.

Indeed, I read the news right here on GT!

I just thought I'd voice my frustration   biggrin   Could it be because I just switched from a nice, stable NVIDIA card to this ATI one?!  Come on now, ATI!

unbreakable
« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2006, 07:47:12 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Because they're occasionally nice items?

I bought a green ring that does lightning damage (like 5-7 per hit, plus 15% or something like that) for 300k or so. Attached to a Very Fast weapon, that item becomes nothing to sneeze at.

Damn, I was going to ask if you ever saw a green or better at a vendor.  I guess I'll have to pay more attention to them.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2006, 09:36:23 AM »

I just thought I'd voice my frustration   biggrin   Could it be because I just switched from a nice, stable NVIDIA card to this ATI one?!  Come on now, ATI!

Nah. I get it on my 7800GT's too, though it tends to take closer to an hour or an hour and a half before it shows it's ugly self and I'm unexpectedly staring at my desktop again.

The only time I was really worried was when it happened just after I had gotten past a boss and the game ctd'd right as I clicked on one of those save fountains.

Thankfully it kept my progress. I had no desire to re-do the hour of gameplay I'd been through since the previous fountain.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2006, 01:25:05 PM »

Damn, I was going to ask if you ever saw a green or better at a vendor.  I guess I'll have to pay more attention to them.

Usually whenever I hit a vendor now (level 17) I see one or two. Just not anything good. biggrin

To be exact, my ring is 5 lightning damage, and +13% lightning damage. It stacks very nicely with my green sword (also store bought, stats a few posts back) that has Essence of Zeus' Thunderbolt (2-14 lightning, +5% lightning, only at 2 out of 3 shards into it though) enhanced into it.

DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2006, 01:51:22 PM »

I'm doing Warfare/Defense.  Actually, I wanted to have a dual weild guy, but for some reason my DPS tanks when I equip a second weapon.  I'm starting to have my doubts over whether dual weild is a viable build...

I started a battlemage yesterday (earth/warfare). I saw this too! Why would my dps and attack speed drop if I equip an offhand weapon? I don't get it. Anyone have an insight into this?
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2006, 02:05:46 PM »

I have a dual wield warrior, level 25 currently. I've been using two green ring maces, both have some plus damage relics on them.

Avg. Damage is 154, DPS is 192. My strength is 316...maybe a tad higher. My attack speed is 152%.

I have the dual wield line of skills maxed out.

So far he tears through anything, but I'm about halfway through the Orient on normal, so things could change...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2006, 02:17:44 PM »

It will drop (or raise) if your 2nd weapon is weaker (or stronger) than you 1st weapon.  The listed DPS is just averaging your two weapons together.

Let's say you could hold two weapons but temporarily disable the Dual Wield skill, i.e., the 15% chance listed in your skill sheet.  Your damage output will be exactly what's listed as your DPS, the average of your two weapons.  Your attack animation will randomly choose one arm or the other to swing.  If both your weapons are identical, your DPS will not be any different if you hold one or both.

Now turn the Dual Wield skill back on, with that "15% chance" in effect again.  Now, your DPS will still be listed the same, but now every 15/100 attacks you will swing with both weapons at once.  It's a 15% chance to do 200% damage on an attack.  Add on those other Dual Wield skills in the tree, and you'll have even more bonuses added on top of that 200% when it triggers.

With a fully maxxed out Dual Wield skill, your listed DPS will not be any different, but every 7/10 attacks you'll be doing 200% or more of your listed damage.
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2006, 02:35:38 PM »

Thanks! Makes sense to me now.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2006, 09:20:39 PM »

The patch is available now via the in-game updater. Version is 1.08.

Seems like their servers are getting hammered so downloading it might be kind of spotty for a day or so.
unbreakable
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »

With a fully maxxed out Dual Wield skill, your listed DPS will not be any different, but every 7/10 attacks you'll be doing 200% or more of your listed damage.

Ah, so the DPS only factors in your main hand weapon, and not your character's total DPS?  Now it makes sense.  I was wondering how the hell I get lower DPS even though I put points into the skill and took off the shield.  The shield does no damage, damn it!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2006, 04:13:50 PM »

Ah, so the DPS only factors in your main hand weapon, and not your character's total DPS?  Now it makes sense.  I was wondering how the hell I get lower DPS even though I put points into the skill and took off the shield.  The shield does no damage, damn it!

It factors in both weapons, not just the main hand, but well...its screwy.

Let's say for the sake of argument that all weapons swing once per second.  You have a 20 damage sword in your right hand and a shield in your left.  Your right hand will swing once a second for 20 damage, you will do 20DPS, and your left hand will not do any damage.

Now you swap your shield out for a 20 damage axe.  You have a 20 damage sword in your right hand, and a 20 damage axe in your left.  You will still only swing once every second, and the game will randomly pick one hand or the other to swing with.  Even though you're holding two weapons, you'll still be doing 20DPS overall.

Now let's say the axe is only 10 damage.  You now have a 20 damage sword in your right hand, and a 10 damage axe in your left.  You still swing once per second, still randomly using one hand or the other, but now you will be doing 15 DPS overall.  Even though you are holding two weapons, you are still just swinging once a second, with one weapon or the other.

So what's the advantage?  The "% chance to dual wield" is the key.  Every so often you'll be swinging with both weapons at once, basically getting an extra swing X% of the time.  Even though that 10dmg axe dropped your listed DPS from 20 to 15, your actual DPS will probably be higher than it was with just the sword.

I guess the simple way to put it is that the listed DPS is only a reference point, and does not take your various skills into account.  In the same way that a listed DPS will be far lower than actual DPS for an elementalist holding a wimpy staff but hurling fiery death with storm&earth skills, the listed DPS for a dual wielder won't represent the true damage output that comes from the warfare Dual Wield skills.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2006, 03:29:24 AM »

The part I don't get is that the game properly factors in things like Poison and Elemental Damage when it comes to DPS. Why can't it do duel wield properly?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: