http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:16:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IGN Titan Quest review  (Read 20691 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2006, 01:32:11 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Here is my short review.

Stay away.  Stay far away.  Wait for a patch.  My God....I would guess that I'm upwards of 10-15 crashes to desktop in the last hour or two.  I've surfed the boards and tried their tricks, but uh...seriously, this game is broke as Hell.

The issue is pretty much the copy protection, from what I've read. SecurRom4 is what they're using. Either that, or the game has one mother of a memory leak in it.

I can play the game, but it's showing some serious...issues from time to time. And by time to time I mean every time I port to and from town, and just simply run around. Everything (music, sounds, and the game itself) almost freeze for a second or two with no rhyme or reason. It doesn't crash on me though, but it sure as hell tries to.

It is fun though. Great Diablo clone. That is if you can get it working.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2006, 01:57:38 PM »

wow, so both of you (KD & Slipblade) are crashing that much?  definitely waiting to hear more info on performance from additional people, especially with Destructor's performance issues as well. frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2006, 02:14:33 PM »

I haven't crashed once and I've played a few hours without difficulty. Made it to level 9 last night. Though I defragged my hard drive a few times, switched to Omega Drivers when I continued to crash while playing Call of Duty 2.

I haven't tried multiplayer as of yet though.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2006, 02:56:56 PM »

And thanks to the pirate groups, we have a reason as to why some people are having issues, while others aren't:

Titan Quest Engine crashes sometimes because of the following reason:

The engine.dll uses multithread technic which means 2-5 processes use the same mem address. This means loading sfx and loading gfx goes to the same memory address and sometimes this leads to that they get mixed and then crash because the unpacker module is NOT designed for multithread.

You may be able to solve the crash issue by doing this:
C:\Documents and Settings\[YOU]\My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest\Settings ...and open file 'options.txt' and change:

*forceSingleProcessorMode = true

There's also a way to exact all the game data ahead of time (so the unpacker doesn't have to do it during gameplay), but that'll easily add 20GB to the install folder.

EDIT: I've tried to extract the files, and the extractor is a piece of shit. It doesn't always extract said file, and there's no way to pass *.* arguments to all the files that need to be extracted. So in the end, I've unpacked about half of the game data (the other half refuses to be extracted), and doubled my install size. It's helping a bit with all the load stuttering I'm getting, but it's still there.

And for me, forcing single processor mode just makes things worse. To each their own, I guess.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
siege

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2006, 05:42:02 PM »

I, too, recommend staying far away from the game. It is a buggy disaster.

Crashes constantly. I lost two of my characters after crashing while exiting a cave and not being able to recover my saved game (it would crash as soon as I loaded my character.) The framerate is atrocious in spots, especially at night time and while entering/exiting dungeons. The audio frequently chops, music cuts in and out, and the dialogue doesn't always play.

No idea if it's the copy protection screwing things up or what, but I'm defintely suggesting that you just forget the game exists or wait for a patch before picking it up.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2006, 05:56:58 PM »

Well crap!

I just went out at lunch at bought it, despite Ron's warning.  I was all excited to start a rogue/storm character too!

Maybe I should wait to open it....

Crap, crap, crap!

:?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 06:15:52 PM »

Sorry to hear everyone is having problems, I just finished playing a bit of multiplayer even picked up a green item, very nice. Aside from a bit of lag the game ran like a champ.

Played for hours last night without a problem, no crashes at all. I guess this is YMMV territory.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2006, 06:31:19 PM »

I'm not having any problems either after a night of play (I'm using a 6800 series nvidia card, and have 2mb of ram).  I'm wondering if some of the problems stem from the game being more Nvidia friendly than ATI?  

I haven't experienced any memory leaks, crashes, or anything odd with the sound.  I did turn off vert sync since that seemed to really slow down the framerate, especially at night.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2006, 07:11:27 PM »

From reading the threads on OO, it sounds like people there aren't having the same problems, at least as regards the crashing.  Must be some system/hardware specific issues going on.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2006, 07:20:02 PM »

Weird; seeing only one person complain of problems on GWJ and none on OO, but several of you guys here.

wtf?

I don't know if my system will run this ok or not now...

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
siege

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2006, 07:28:17 PM »

There seems to be a lot of people at http://vnboards.ign.com/titan_quest_general_board/b23058/p1 with the same problems.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2006, 07:51:15 PM »

Weird OO people aren't reporting any issues, but I'm seeing a few here.  Hmm, you I might actually hold off now

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2006, 07:54:56 PM »

Hmm... on the one hand I really want to play this game... on the other hand I can just pick up over-g and wait for a sale with titan quest..... hmmm...

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2006, 08:37:07 PM »

Well, Slipblade and I are both using Dell XPS laptops.  Wonder if there is something hateful in the hardware.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2006, 08:58:04 PM »

In browsing BC, OO, Qt3, and now GT, you guyses are the ONLY ones to complain of mass crashing.  Seriously.  Only ones.

Just Hiro will do.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2006, 09:08:32 PM »

Well, Slipblade and I are both using Dell XPS laptops.  Wonder if there is something hateful in the hardware.

I'm running a custom built PC with an AMD 64 X2, ATI X1900XT card, SATA HD, and 2GB of RAM, so it's nothing Dell related.

After wandering many other boards (IGN, Gamespot, etc), I've come to the conclusion that my constant slowdowns are pretty much unheard of. People either can play this game perfectly, or they crash constantly. There's no inbetween like I'm having.

I'm reading that V-Sync and Shadows set to high are causes of a lot of slowdown issues (even though my PC can most definitely handle it), so I'll give that a whirl once I get home.

Still really is a fun game though, despite all the issues. I can't keep away from it.

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2006, 10:26:20 PM »

Im running a 3400+ with 2gig ram, 6800gt video card, audigy 2 sound card.  I only have a few stutters mainly when entering and exiting caves.  No other hiccups noted with about 4 hours played so far.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2006, 10:32:34 PM »

Here is my short review.

Stay away.  Stay far away.  Wait for a patch.  My God....I would guess that I'm upwards of 10-15 crashes to desktop in the last hour or two.  I've surfed the boards and tried their tricks, but uh...seriously, this game is broke as Hell.

I turned off anti-aliasing and my crashes stopped.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2006, 11:23:34 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
Here is my short review.

I turned off anti-aliasing and my crashes stopped.

I tried that. :/  I'm going to try it out on my main PC and see if the results change.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2006, 11:23:49 PM »

I've also heard nocd cracks and warez cocks it up mightily.  And it might be mean to ATI cards.

Just Hiro will do.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2006, 11:27:27 PM »

JINXED myself.  i crashed, first time in over a day though.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2006, 12:19:32 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
I've also heard nocd cracks and warez cocks it up mightily.  And it might be mean to ATI cards.

Well, I'm not in either area, but it does run significantly better on my desktop.  Strange, that, given that my laptop is more powerful.  Guess it hates something in the box.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2006, 12:35:57 AM »

Picked it up, installed, played about 20 minutes so far.  No crashes yet and the performance is quite acceptable considering my low-end system.

Trying the rogue mastery, grabbed the charge-up power from the first tier... much fun to watch the satyr's flying through the air.    :twisted:

Pikachu, I Blame you!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2006, 01:25:33 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"

Well, I'm not in either area, but it does run significantly better on my desktop.  Strange, that, given that my laptop is more powerful.  Guess it hates something in the box.

Well, you're lucky.  game is cocking up fo rme big time. Says my graphics card won't work.  bullshit, it worked with the demo fine.

Just Hiro will do.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2006, 02:00:38 AM »

Hmm, did a quick bios flash on ye olde lappy and everything seems hunky dory.  I'm gonna try some multi (where the crashes were most frequent) and see if that resolves it.

That said - the time I have spent with it has been fun.  It is like Diablo II with a MUCH prettier look to it.  If you want to get away from 800x600 Diablo II graphics and get a close proximity to what Diablo II was bringing, this isn't a bad purchase.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2006, 03:02:08 AM »

I played the demo and it ran perfectly, got the game tuesday and brought it home loaded it and it ran like ass. Then i realized i formatted couple days earlier so i checked my windows update and sure enough i didn't have sp2 installed yet. D/l'ed it and installed and it ran perfectly. Make sure ALL your drivers are updated and your windows is updated.
Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2006, 03:37:48 AM »

Hmm, did a quick bios flash on ye olde lappy and everything seems hunky dory.  I'm gonna try some multi (where the crashes were most frequent) and see if that resolves it.

That said - the time I have spent with it has been fun.  It is like Diablo II with a MUCH prettier look to it.  If you want to get away from 800x600 Diablo II graphics and get a close proximity to what Diablo II was bringing, this isn't a bad purchase.

Guess I will need to do a bios flash and see if that helps any  :roll:
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2006, 04:32:46 AM »

Absolutely loving it. No crashes here (only had one with demo and lost no progress). Sorry you guys are having issues.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2006, 04:33:29 AM »

Got it and loaded it without out issue. Played for hours tonight (thanks to Blizzard's FUBAR patch on WoW) and it was a BLAST! Game's a lot of fun and for me it worked fine without nary a hitch.

My only gripe is that my otherwise powerful system is gimped now because I have no upgrade path for a better video card (I've got a gaming notebook). At the game's defaults, it ran pretty well and it is a lot of fun so far. Really scratches that old Diablo itch (in someways better than D2 did - don't crucify me for saying that <G>).
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2006, 11:58:47 AM »

This is one fun game.

Well done Ironlore!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2006, 05:16:55 PM »

Good stuff all around in the game.  Watching satyrs fly through the air has yet to get old.

Found my first green item right before having to leave for work today.  Embossed bracers of the Gryphon.  Look nice... of course I can't use them for another 2 levels.  <mutters>

I have one blue, the Ironskin Suit.  Has some nice adds on it including a 20% chance to boost armor by 259%.

<sigh>  going to be a long day until I can get back to play more.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2006, 02:11:56 AM »

Well, I realized that I didn't have the latest ATI drivers loaded (shame on me, I know), and amazingly enough, it really helped things (I'm using the Omega drivers based off the version 6.5 Catalyst). There's still a bit of stuttering from time to time (and some ungodly frame drops near torches in caves and/or at night), but it's a drastic improvement.

Sound still stutters like mad whenever I'm porting to/from town for some reason though.

And since I see that somebody pulled out some items, it's time to show off my level 14 Earth/Rogue Magician.  Cool

Green level 11 sword (Veteran's Falcata of Destruction) - +15% damage, +12% damage, +10% Offensive Ability, +16% Attack Speed. Currently enhanced with an Essence that does 2-14 Lightning Damage, and gives +5% Lightning Damage.

Green Ring of Thunder - +13% Lightning Damage and +5 Lightning Damage.

Combine those two (and a few other items that boost up my stats, but nothing as drastic as those items), and all my buffs from both masteries, and I have a DPS rating of 133. biggrin

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2006, 04:10:14 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Combine those two (and a few other items that boost up my stats, but nothing as drastic as those items), and all my buffs from both masteries, and I have a DPS rating of 133. biggrin

So what do you have to do in this game to get A FUCKING 50 DKP MINUS!1!!!!?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2006, 04:49:31 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

1, 3, 5, 7 ->

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2006, 05:00:48 AM »

I assume you're complaining about your low listed DPS. I can't tell for sure based on all of your yelling. biggrin

Anyway, the game heavily favors light, fast weapons. Why?

There's three (that I can think of right now) classes that all tack on 'damage per hit' abilities onto them (most of them in the first tier) - Earth (fire damage), Storm (ice/thunder damage), and Rogue (poison/piercing). All of those classes have one or more abilties that turn your mana regen into a constant on-hit abiltity.

I'm Fire/Rogue, so for me, I have three constant abilities: One that puts out ~8 to 13 fire damage per hit, one that gives me ~6 piercing (punches through armor) per hit, and one that applies a 36 poison damage per 5 second dot per hit.

Since the on-hit ability doesnt get stronger/weaker if I have a slower weapon or not, this means that you want a fast weapon, in addition to all the attack speed boost items you can get your hands on.

If you have an on-hit buff or two, you can easily experiment with the DPS numbers at your local shopkeeper. As long as you don't close the shopkeeper window, you can sell any items purchased for the exact same purchase price. Thus, you can try it on to see how it'll modify your DPS rating.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2006, 06:57:10 AM »

I assume you're complaining about your low listed DPS. I can't tell for sure based on all of your yelling. biggrin

Anyway, the game heavily favors light, fast weapons. Why?

There's three (that I can think of right now) classes that all tack on 'damage per hit' abilities onto them (most of them in the first tier) - Earth (fire damage), Storm (ice/thunder damage), and Rogue (poison/piercing). All of those classes have one or more abilties that turn your mana regen into a constant on-hit abiltity.

I'm Fire/Rogue, so for me, I have three constant abilities: One that puts out ~8 to 13 fire damage per hit, one that gives me ~6 piercing (punches through armor) per hit, and one that applies a 36 poison damage per 5 second dot per hit.

Since the on-hit ability doesnt get stronger/weaker if I have a slower weapon or not, this means that you want a fast weapon, in addition to all the attack speed boost items you can get your hands on.

If you have an on-hit buff or two, you can easily experiment with the DPS numbers at your local shopkeeper. As long as you don't close the shopkeeper window, you can sell any items purchased for the exact same purchase price. Thus, you can try it on to see how it'll modify your DPS rating.

Nonono...you need to see this to understand.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2006, 01:48:03 PM »

Nonono...you need to see this to understand.

Or I just need to see that to understand. biggrin

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2006, 02:35:19 PM »

After wandering many other boards (IGN, Gamespot, etc), I've come to the conclusion that my constant slowdowns are pretty much unheard of.

I was having some ungodly stuttering with the demo. Since you seem to have fixed most of the problems, I'm wondering if I just need to install the latest Catalyst drivers. Hmmm....
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2006, 03:32:48 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
After wandering many other boards (IGN, Gamespot, etc), I've come to the conclusion that my constant slowdowns are pretty much unheard of.

I was having some ungodly stuttering with the demo. Since you seem to have fixed most of the problems, I'm wondering if I just need to install the latest Catalyst drivers. Hmmm....

After playing more of the game last night, the updated Catalyst drivers did it. I still get occasional load issues (nearing caves or when porting), but 90% of my stuttering just vanished upon throwing the new drivers on.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2006, 07:57:44 PM »

I think I'm going to buy this.  Maybe.  Positively.  Perhaps.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: