http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:23:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IGN Titan Quest review  (Read 20811 times)
siege
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2006, 02:07:05 AM »

http://pc.ign.com/articles/714/714552p1.html

I guess I'll be waiting for Prey for my summer gaming fix.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 05:06:39 AM »

Well, the review confirms my thoughts on the game, so I'll be picking it up.  smile  Basically, the demo was good enough for me, and if the rest of the game is more of that, with no major performance issues (my biggest concern), then I'm a happy camper.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 10:15:16 AM »

Quote from: "siege"

A score of 8.1 isn't good enough for you?
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 12:07:22 PM »

there's no randomization of creatures or terrain to reward multiple adventures

OUCH!  

Even when you're halfway through the game and beating down level 30-ish monsters, they may still drop the same undesirables as you saw on the first monster you killed way back in Greece.

OUCH!!!

I was convinced this would be a day1 pickup, now I'm waiting and seeing.

OH, and after some years, D2 still the king baby.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 02:50:53 PM »

Quote from: "Canuck"

A score of 8.1 isn't good enough for you?

No, that's a good score, but I read the actual review and it didn't sound like an 8.1 game to me.

I may still cave in and pick it up. I'm just worried about the loot system, which is really the only reason to replay these games.
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 05:42:23 PM »

I pre-ordered immediately after my first session with the demo. I thought: "Look at all those class possibilities! Look at the replay." I guess I took some stuff for granted (e.g. monster/loot randomization). Dang...
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 06:23:25 PM »

Yeah, the review score is good and TONS of things about the game sound great, but the item drops and non-randomness seem like big omissions.  D2 did that part pretty well many years ago.  I'm hoping they fix it in a patch because I will pick it up for sure.

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 06:29:54 PM »

To be clear, the types of monsters you will encounter at "encounter locations" (or whatever they're called) aren't randomized, but from everything I've read indicates that special qualities & gear are semi-randomized.  So while yes, you'll be hitting the same types of mobs on each playthrough, their combat options will be randomized to a degree.

This really doesn't bother me that much.  Especially given that the game's coming with an editor to allow me and others to build our own adventures in addition to what the game comes with.

Still sounds really fun to me, even if it doesn't topple Diablo 2 (and I didn't expect it to).  smile

However, I'm sincerely hoping that Hellgate: London is finally able to take the gameplay style of Diablo 2 into the next gen successfully and evolve it a bit.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 07:19:28 PM »

I was in, but now I am out.  The issues that did it for me were the lack of randomization on monsters and the loot table possibly not changing even after 30 levels.  Sounds like it has ZERO replay value.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 09:47:25 PM »

A comment from the lead gameplay designer regarding the IGN review....

I wanted to post and clear up some inaccuracies that were mentioned about TQ gameplay.

The loot does scale up quite a bit throughout the entire game. You cannot find level 1 items on level 30 monsters or even level 10 monsters for that matter. Monsters generally will not drop items more than 5 levels below their own level.

Also, Epic and Legendary items of varying levels do not drop from the same loot tables. The unique items that can drop in the early part of the game are only the lowest level unique items and are totally inferior to high-level unique items and even high-level magical items. The highest level Legendary items should not even start dropping until a character is almost level 50.

Finally, while monster camps will always appear in the same location, the monsters that spawn are randomized as anyone who's played the demo would know. One time a camp might have 9 low-level satyr archers and warrior while the next play-through that camp could have 2 satyr champions and 3 low-level satyr peltasts. In some places you can potentially encounter totally different types of monsters. For example, when you leave the Greek coastal town "Megara", the monsters you first encounter outside the town can be either maenads or satyrs.

There will certainly be things we can improve on but it is disheartening to think that some people may not buy our game because of a misunderstanding of how certain gameplay features really work or a belief that we do not have features that really are in the game.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 09:47:58 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry"
However, I'm sincerely hoping that Hellgate: London is finally able to take the gameplay style of Diablo 2 into the next gen successfully and evolve it a bit.

Now there's a game I'll most definitely buy right off the bat. When is it due out, anyway?

As for Titan Quest...I'll hold off on another review. The whole 'lack of randomization' thing has me worried.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »

Thanks for posting that, Siege - buyer's remorse greatly diminished and looking forward to the game again!
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 11:31:33 PM »

Well, I'll take the developer's comments over the reviewer. I've seen more than one game crucified due to misinformation in a review, and it will be a shame if Titan Quest falls prey to that trend. In the demo it is quite obvious that there is randomization.

Having said all that, I'm still amazed that so many games, especially high profile games like Dungeon Siege 2, never seem to understand the importance of having a massively diverse loot system.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 02:39:48 AM »

Does anyone else find what the reviewer said and what the developer said to be, excuse my language, fucked up!?

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it.  The reviewer stated something that the developer flat said does not happen (or "generally" does not happen).  And it's not a small issue either.

I find the whole thing mind boggling to be honest.  Granted, reviews are basically opinions with some facts thrown in.  But Jesus Christ, at least get the facts CORRECT if you're going to post them in your review!

Now either the developer is full of shit, or Tom McNamera needs to get a clue.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 03:10:45 AM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Does anyone else find what the reviewer said and what the developer said to be, excuse my language, fucked up!?

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it.  The reviewer stated something that the developer flat said does not happen (or "generally" does not happen).  And it's not a small issue either.

I find the whole thing mind boggling to be honest.  Granted, reviews are basically opinions with some facts thrown in.  But Jesus Christ, at least get the facts CORRECT if you're going to post them in your review!

Now either the developer is full of shit, or Tom McNamera needs to get a clue.

It's an IGN review.  What were we expecting?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 05:55:19 AM »

It's an unabashed Diablo clone with a little tweaking and modern graphics/sound.  If you enjoyed the demo, you'll enjoy the full game.  If not, you won't.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 11:42:38 AM »

Quote from: "warning"

True. Very true. biggrin

Well, after Siege posted what he did the exact same minute as I last posted, I think I'll go back to my original statement - wait for another review, as for whatever reason, the IGN review isn't exactly accurate anymore thanks to that dev blurb.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 05:23:04 PM »

Bingo.  That's why I was looking for other reviews, and found it interesting that the IGN reviewer was apparently so unable to spot the monster randomization that I noticed even in the early areas featured in the demo.

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
It's an unabashed Diablo clone with a little tweaking and modern graphics/sound. If you enjoyed the demo, you'll enjoy the full game. If not, you won't.

Bingo*2.  slywink  Me, I know I'll enjoy it with everything I'm hearing; all I was waiting for in a final review and impressions is to see if the game remains as entertaining as the demo, if there are any glaring bugs or performance hitches later on, and how long the game is.

I'm cautiously confident I'm going to purchase it, just waiting to hear another couple reviews and some final impressions.

Aw, heck, fyedaddy's going to pop in here and say that I'm going to end up buying it anyway.  And he's probably right.  slywink

siege

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 09:12:21 PM »

I've been reading impressions on a couple of forums from people who have the leaked version. One thing is for sure, the game is MASSIVE. If you complete all the side quests and explore all the dungeons, you can easily put 40 hours into the game on your first run on normal difficulty.

With Epic and Legendary afterwards and a full fledged editor, anyone who enjoys the game will defintely get their moneys worth.

I think TQ could end up being similiar to NWN in it's community. I know D&D may be more popular than TQ's mythological theme, but it certainly has a shot at being big with it's editor and the huge amount of creative people on the net. The lack of closed servers didn't really affect NWN any, as it's still widely played online to this day.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 10:33:14 PM »

I'll wait until Hellgate next year, kthx.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »

I tried to play the demo but it wouldn't install.  It kept telling me I didn't have enough room when I have 60 gigs combined between two hard drives.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 11:36:55 PM »

I tried to play the demo but it wouldn't install.  It kept telling me I didn't have enough room when I have 60 gigs combined between two hard drives.

A known issue with those people who either don't have WinXP on the C drive, or don't keep lots of free space on the same drive that WinXP is installed on. For some ungodly reason, it only decompresses the install files onto the C drive.

Not sure if it's fixed in the final, from what I've read.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 11:39:01 PM »

Still a day 1 buy for me, I loved the demo and I have 2 friends who are getting this, and looking forward to the whole online thing.

Ascendent
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 02:34:36 AM »

Still works for me.

Byte me
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 06:53:32 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

A known issue with those people who either don't have WinXP on the C drive, or don't keep lots of free space on the same drive that WinXP is installed on. For some ungodly reason, it only decompresses the install files onto the C drive.

Better be.  I wanted to try the demo but I'm not hacking my registry and messing with a Windows setting for crying out loud to do it!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 02:18:28 PM »

I actually complained to File Planet Support about some of their demos doing that.

Some support guy replied with blah blah this and blah blah that further illustrating he didn't know what he was talking about.

It's not completely File Planet's fault though. The folks that create the installer are not offering a choice so it defaults to the system root drive, which we all typically have as "C". File Planet should require that demo installers provide choices in order to be listed on their site, but they don't.

I tried temporarily changing the system root value, but quickly realized, as Ron alluded to, that it is several changes, and would probably cause other issues.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 03:36:01 PM »

One of the leads on the game was posting over on QT3 when the demo came out.  Randomization is definitely in the game and it's a shame that IGN screwed up that fact.  I'm looking forward to this game, but I might wait until my GRAW addiction wanes some.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 10:35:14 PM »

Tom Chick's review is up on Yahoo Games.  He gives it 4.5 stars and the following:
Pros: Superlative character development, gorgeous visuals, and thoroughly addicting gameplay

Cons: No secure character storage for online multiplayer

Sounds good to me!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 11:23:45 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Better be.  I wanted to try the demo but I'm not hacking my registry and messing with a Windows setting for crying out loud to do it!

You do for pr0n... I don't see why this is any different. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 03:07:33 AM »

Quote from: "Farscry"
Aw, heck, fyedaddy's going to pop in here and say that I'm going to end up buying it anyway.  And he's probably right.  slywink

You're going to end up buying it anyway. The question will be when, not if. Maybe you'll be able to hold off with me and wait for a sale... unless a flood of 90%+ reviews are released. That would be enough for me.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
siege

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006, 03:47:45 AM »

Gamespot hit it with a 7.6

1-up gave it a 7.0
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2006, 02:02:57 PM »

They almost fault it for being a Diablo clone - I revel in it smile

So funny... When Diablo first came out, I was a flight sim/Doom kinda guy. I had a gift certificate to CompUSA and I kept picking Diablo up and putting it back down. Finally, just pulled the trigger (I know... I know...), installed and gaming changed for me that day. Diablo was just amazing. I couldn't understand why I waited/hesitated. It was the perfect gateway drug for Everquest and WoW...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2006, 11:31:10 PM »

BTW - don't trust Gamespot's review in the slightest.

Why?

This was just added onto the review:

Editor's note 06/27/06: Our review originally overlooked specific aspects of the town portal system, which required a reevaluation of this part of the game and a revision to the text. GameSpot regrets the error.

So...if the demo is any indication (and from what I've read on the leaks, the demo is the start of the game), you get the ability to use the town portal system (the ability to port to any town, and warp to and from any spot you place a portal) about 90 SECONDS into the game.

What exactly did Gamespot not get about the whole system (and yes, the demo told you exactly what you could do with it via a little popup)? And because of that, can you trust the review at all anymore?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2006, 04:25:16 AM »

BTW - don't trust Gamespot's review in the slightest.

Why?

This was just added onto the review:

Editor's note 06/27/06: Our review originally overlooked specific aspects of the town portal system, which required a reevaluation of this part of the game and a revision to the text. GameSpot regrets the error.

So...if the demo is any indication (and from what I've read on the leaks, the demo is the start of the game), you get the ability to use the town portal system (the ability to port to any town, and warp to and from any spot you place a portal) about 90 SECONDS into the game.

What exactly did Gamespot not get about the whole system (and yes, the demo told you exactly what you could do with it via a little popup)? And because of that, can you trust the review at all anymore?

It's weird how both IGN and Gamespot dropped the ball on TWO SEPERATE functions in this game!  What happened to the days of playing a game for a long time and discovering everything there is to know and then writing a review on it?!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2006, 05:12:13 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
It's weird how both IGN and Gamespot dropped the ball on TWO SEPERATE functions in this game!  What happened to the days of playing a game for a long time and discovering everything there is to know and then writing a review on it?!

Because in order to be 'first' with a review, the big sites bust their way through the game as fast as humanly possible, and only play it enough so they think they 'know' how a game plays.

Most of the time, they get it right. Yeah, it's not in as much detail as the developers would've wanted (which leads to much hair pulling), but it's out there, and they're first with the all important review.

Every so often though, they fuck things up. When that happens, everybody points their fingers at the offending sites and laugh.

Anybody remember when PC Gamer got railed on for writing a review from beta code (and talked about features that were pulled/changed in the final game)? Toss these two reviews into the same oops pile.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2006, 05:22:10 AM »

My favorite was when the GameSpot (?) reviewer published his review based on no more than an hour or two of playtime.  Seems the game itself was always connected to the internet and the developer had the logs to prove it.  That made for some high drama.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2006, 05:46:11 AM »

I picked up the title today.  There seems to be some buzz behind the title so I'll see what it is all about.  I'll have my review in a few days.  Spending 2 hours on a review is criminal.  Subscribers should demand their money back.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
siege

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2006, 08:46:54 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
My favorite was when the GameSpot (?) reviewer published his review based on no more than an hour or two of playtime.  Seems the game itself was always connected to the internet and the developer had the logs to prove it.  That made for some high drama.

Yeah, the game was Savage. I think I'm gonna boycott IGN and Gamespot from now on. The little guys are putting out much better reviews these days.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2006, 09:27:24 AM »

Here is my short review.

Stay away.  Stay far away.  Wait for a patch.  My God....I would guess that I'm upwards of 10-15 crashes to desktop in the last hour or two.  I've surfed the boards and tried their tricks, but uh...seriously, this game is broke as Hell.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »

I agree with KD.  We even tried multiplayer.  Though it is nice to see it connect very quickly ( BTW we are on a LAN) it did run smoothly for a little bit before it crashed again. frown
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: