http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 09:31:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IGN gives Eternal Sonata an 8.3  (Read 6596 times)
USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2007, 11:37:40 PM »

Got my pre-order and from what I can see, no difficulty option but the game comes with a dual language option (English or Japanese).  Oh well, it sure is pretty  icon_smile  Impressions a bit later, but so far so good.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:04:07 AM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2007, 12:21:47 AM »

With Gamespot's fantastic review I have gone from maybe (loved the demo) to definitely. Think I will pick it up today (yes, even though I have barely started BD).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2007, 12:43:44 AM »

It came in today? Strange, I didn't get a call from Evil Aeris.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2007, 01:07:35 AM »

I broke my own 360 rule and picked it up today, haven't even opened the game, but I sure do like the free faceplate I got with it smile

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2007, 02:15:01 AM »

Yeah, watched Moriarty play for about an hour or so.  Fun looking game so far.  Didn't realize that it supports 3 player co-op during the battles.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 02:17:37 AM »

I started it, played maybe an hour and a half so far.  First impressions.

+ Wow is it pretty.
+ Battles are good fun.  Bosses seem fairly tough.
- Wow are there LOTS of long, wordy cutscenes.  Nice to look at but let me play the game please.
+ Thank god for not having to hammer A on every little part of the scene.  I'm looking at you Blue Dragon!  Yeah I went there!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 03:40:21 AM by kathode » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2007, 02:36:59 AM »

Oh, may need to buy tomorrow.  I shouldn't, but I probably will.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2007, 04:14:50 AM »

Gorgeous game! And I can play it with my almost-four-year-old daughter which is a nice perk. She loves Polka and got bored with Arpeggio (or whatever his name is) and Beat.

The attention to detail in the environments is just incredible. The houses, the town, even the sewer looks like an underground tropical garden. I don't throw this word around lightly, nor do I all-cap it without good reason, but everything looks SUMPTUOUS. Exactly what I wanted in a next-gen RPG.

Gameplay is fun. Combat is pretty engaging and I like how it gradually changes up the rules and forces you to get quicker on your toes.

I don't mind that it's linear. I like that it's on the short side. The story is both inspired in its originality and insipid in its starry-eyed dreams vs. reality and floral powder tax mumbo jumbo. But these games always have Retardando stories.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:16:57 AM by rrmorton » Logged
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2007, 04:29:13 AM »

Well, this is a little disconcerting... I just went back to play some more and the game keeps freezing up on me right after the NAMCO BANDAI logo. It just hangs on the white screen and my console crashes. It did it four times in a row.

icon_confused

Edit: Okay, I got it working by disconnecting my HD-DVD player. What a nuisance.

After that, I shut down, re-attached my HD-DVD drive, and tried again and Eternal Sonata started up okay. Hopefully that means I won't have to keep fiddling with it every time I want to play. Although I did watch a DVD in between playing the game earlier and trying again just now. I hope it doesn't do that every time I watch a DVD.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:35:27 AM by rrmorton » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2007, 06:04:30 AM »

Picked it up today (and got a faceplate even though I didn't preorder).  Played a little bit, but not enough to really have gotten a taste to see how different it might be from the demo.  One thing I am confused on is the blocking mechanism.  I can't tell if there is any feedback that lets be know whether I did it right.  Am I right in thinking it is the B button?  Is there a good way to know whether you did it or not?

I am not sure how much I will be able to put into this.  I bought it because I wanted to support the game and make sure more Japanese RPGs make it to the 360.  I still have Metroid, Bioshock, Persona 3, and Blue Dragon to get through as well.

Anyway, beautful game so far, but I knew that from the demo.  I look forward to playing it more.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2007, 09:32:50 AM »

hey mort, let me know a bit more about the coop thing.   my 4 1/2 would probably love to play this with me as well.   is it fairly easy for a child to play along?  being coop is some really cool news.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2007, 12:21:25 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 19, 2007, 06:04:30 AM

One thing I am confused on is the blocking mechanism.  I can't tell if there is any feedback that lets be know whether I did it right.  Am I right in thinking it is the B button?  Is there a good way to know whether you did it or not?
Yeah blocking is a little tough until you learn the particular enemy's pattern.  The thing about blocking is that it only works for a very short instant after the prompt appears.  If you press it too early or late, you'll screw up the block.  And also, if you successfully hit it, but then hit it again (meaning, you're hammering the button) it will screw up the block.  So you've got to time a single button press just right for it to work.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2007, 02:00:48 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 19, 2007, 06:04:30 AM

One thing I am confused on is the blocking mechanism.  I can't tell if there is any feedback that lets be know whether I did it right.  Am I right in thinking it is the B button?  Is there a good way to know whether you did it or not?

From what I remember of the demo, it's pretty clear if you block or not. I thought you actually go into a block animation for that attack (keep in mind if you get hit multiple times, you'll have to block multiple times) if you do it right.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 03:04:32 PM »

Was going to pick it up yesterday, they told me they didn't have my faceplate ("We didn't get in any faceplate!"  YEAH RIGHT) so I moved my money and picked up Heavenly Sword.  So please, keep up the impressions and such!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2007, 03:23:12 PM »

Xmann, I just meant that my daughter likes to watch me play, not play along with me. She's good at Peggle and she's okay at Feeding Frenzy but that's about the extent of her leet gamer skillz. She just reads the dialogue out loud and gets her umbrella and imitates Polka's victory animations where she shouts "I did it!" and throws the umbrella.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 03:28:34 PM by rrmorton » Logged
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2007, 03:51:45 PM »

I'm about 6 hours in, and it has started to get a bit more difficult.  A certain boss battle did keep me on my toes, but still no one died.  And once again, what a gorgeous game.  There is so much detail involved.  For example, while walking around some town, I don't remember the name, the camera pans around you and you can see a tropical forest below and huge waterfalls and such.  Makes me want to go explore that area! 

I love the battle system.  Some of the cutscenes could have used better direction, and they can drag on.  I'm keeping it on English, I tried Japanese and just couldn't get into it.  The voice acting is decent, but not great.  So far, I'm wondering about the sidequests.  I've yet to come across one (that I know of anyway).  I want to make sure I hit them all just to be sure to lengthen this game out a bit.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »

[edit] moved derail response to a poll in the Off-Topic forum on kids and gaming. My original response can be found there in quotes.

I am thinking I'll end up getting ES used once a few GT'ers have finished it; I'm ok with seconds. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:59:29 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2007, 05:03:19 PM »

EDIT- Moved my response to the other thread. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2007, 06:59:03 PM »

EDIT- modified memory engrams to only recall ever seeing the other thread.

-Autistic Angel
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2007, 04:05:25 PM »

Wow, this game is gorgeous...and engaging too. I've barely gotten started, but I'm much more into the story than with Blue Dragon.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2007, 04:37:14 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 20, 2007, 04:05:25 PM

Wow, this game is gorgeous...and engaging too. I've barely gotten started, but I'm much more into the story than with Blue Dragon.

I agree. I cannot say enough good things about this title. Not only does it have some of the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen on the 360, but the story and combat are equally entertaining. I'm about 5 hours in, and so far Eternal Sonata has definitely been worth the price of admission.

I don't even mind the fact that the game is only about 25 hours long. I can use a short, tightly woven RPG to counterbalance the massive timesinks most RPGs turn out to be.

I really hope this title sells well. The art direction, music, combat and story are all very well done. My only regret is that combat tends to be too easy. I had the same complaint with Blue Dragon. Apparently Japanese developers seem to be of the mindset that the Xbox crowd is filled with a bunch of RPG newbies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2007, 05:14:01 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 20, 2007, 04:37:14 PM

I really hope this title sells well. The art direction, music, combat and story are all very well done. My only regret is that combat tends to be too easy. I had the same complaint with Blue Dragon. Apparently Japanese developers seem to be of the mindset that the Xbox crowd is filled with a bunch of RPG newbies.

Actually, Japanese gamers tend to like games easier than Americans.  American versions often feature new, harder difficult modes than their Japanese counterparts. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2007, 05:16:11 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 20, 2007, 05:14:01 PM

Actually, Japanese gamers tend to like games easier than Americans.

saywhat Explain that to Team Ninja. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2007, 05:20:08 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 20, 2007, 05:16:11 PM

Actually, Japanese gamers tend to like games easier than Americans.

saywhat Explain that to Team Ninja. slywink

Yeah, there's some obvious exceptions Tongue  Although I would point out that Team Ninja's games aren't popular at all in Japan (no doubt because of the platform they appear on).  They are very much designed for the American market these days.  However, DMC3, a notoriously difficult game, was easier in Japan on it's initial release and was made harder when it initially came to America.  I believe the American Special Edition of the game restored the previous easy mode that the Japanese had access to all along. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2007, 05:20:24 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 20, 2007, 04:37:14 PM

Actually, Japanese gamers tend to like games easier than Americans.  American versions often feature new, harder difficult modes than their Japanese counterparts. 

I realize that they think American PS2 owners like their games harder. But apparently Xbox owners are in the remedial room...

And why haven't you bought Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata yet? I know you like RPGs. And please don't say you're waiting for Mass Effect. That title will be an RPG Leviathan. The niche titles need the biggest push.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2007, 05:30:09 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 20, 2007, 05:20:24 PM

And why haven't you bought Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata yet? I know you like RPGs. And please don't say you're waiting for Mass Effect. That title will be an RPG Leviathan. The niche titles need the biggest push.

Blue Dragon is an eventual purchase but I'm trying to go a bit more out of my way these days in not buying a game until I'm actually ready to play it.  Right now I've still got Persona 3 to finish (which should be done in the next week).  However I think my next RPG is going to be Wild Arms 5.  From what I've read it does the "traditional" RPG thing a little better than BD and is $20 cheaper to boot.  BD might be on deck after that though.  I like a lot of what I've heard from reliable RPG fans so I'm not turned off at all by the American press's lukewarm reaction.

Eternal Sonata, though, just hasn't sold me yet.  I've heard enough bad stuff from reliable Japanese importers to raise some pretty serious flags for me.  It's undeniably a gorgeous game but I need a bit more than that and I wasn't even that impressed by the demo.  Plus, I don't trust the American press at all when it comes to RPGs.  From listening to them talk I don't think they play them very long before pronouncing judgment so I'm not convinced that most of these guys have given BD the time to get good (which I've heard happens) or to see Eternal Sonata through to the end long after the initial wow factor of the graphics has passed. 

But I'm willing to be convinced and will be looking at impressions with interest as people get farther into the game.  I did eventually buy Enchanted Arms after user reaction was more positive than expected (though I have yet to play it) so the same could certainly happen with ES. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2007, 05:35:54 PM »

Eternal Sonata >>>>>>>>>>>> Blue Dragon.

Berieve.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2007, 05:53:17 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 20, 2007, 05:30:09 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 20, 2007, 05:20:24 PM

Blue Dragon is an eventual purchase but I'm trying to go a bit more out of my way these days in not buying a game until I'm actually ready to play it.  Right now I've still got Persona 3 to finish (which should be done in the next week).  However I think my next RPG is going to be Wild Arms 5.  From what I've read it does the "traditional" RPG thing a little better than BD and is $20 cheaper to boot.  BD might be on deck after that though.  I like a lot of what I've heard from reliable RPG fans so I'm not turned off at all by the American press's lukewarm reaction.

Eternal Sonata, though, just hasn't sold me yet.  I've heard enough bad stuff from reliable Japanese importers to raise some pretty serious flags for me.  It's undeniably a gorgeous game but I need a bit more than that and I wasn't even that impressed by the demo.  Plus, I don't trust the American press at all when it comes to RPGs.  From listening to them talk I don't think they play them very long before pronouncing judgment so I'm not convinced that most of these guys have given BD the time to get good (which I've heard happens) or to see Eternal Sonata through to the end long after the initial wow factor of the graphics has passed. 

But I'm willing to be convinced and will be looking at impressions with interest as people get farther into the game.  I did eventually buy Enchanted Arms after user reaction was more positive than expected (though I have yet to play it) so the same could certainly happen with ES. 

I'm shocked you would choose Wild ARMS 5 over Eternal Sonata or BD. I've yet to play Wild ARMS, but several reviews and forums have complained loudly about the poor graphics and brain-dead AI. It seems that the only way to die in ARMS is if you have suicidal tendencies and let the AI take the first 5 turns as freebies. Even then you are given the option to replay the battle if you lose. I've watched several gameplay videos, and I just can't see any apparent significant redeeming qualities.

Ah, to each his own. Let me know how Wild ARMS turns out. The majority can always be wrong.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 05:57:44 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2007, 06:05:54 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 20, 2007, 05:53:17 PM

I'm shocked you would choose Wild ARMS 5 over Eternal Sonata or BD. I've yet to play Wild ARMS, but several reviews and forums have complained loudly about the poor graphics and brain-dead AI. It seems that the only way to die in ARMS is if you have suicidal tendencies and let the AI take the first 5 turns as freebies. Even then you are given the option to replay the battle if you lose. I've watched several gameplay videos, and I just can't see any apparent significant redeeming qualities.

Ah, to each his own. Let me know how Wild ARMS turns out.

Well, as I said, I discount most "real" reviews of RPGs.  However most of the response I've seen (from players and reviews) have actually been pretty positive on the graphics for WA5.  Plus, I guess I'm just not as much of a graphics whore.  Style is much more important to me and from that standpoint WA5 looks just fine to me from all of the videos I've seen. 

In general, a lot of the comments from people I trust on RPGs have been immensely positive on WA5 (far more than previous entries in the series).  It sounds like they took the best elements of previous entries and made this installment very much worth playing. 

Don't know about AI yet.  Haven't heard much positive or negative on WA5 but all I've heard about ES is that it's a complete cakewalk which isn't appealing to me. I also have to say that the option to replay battles sounds *great* to me.  While I like to be on my toes in a game, I don't necessarilly want to have to replay great stretches of a game either.  I don't mind it in Persona 3 because the way the dungeons are designed makes every experience unique anyway, but in a more conventional game it would get old real quick. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2007, 07:35:26 PM »

Wild Arms 5 is too easy? Huh? If you don't think right in some of the battles I've been through so far, the game WILL crush you for your stupidity. On the flip side though, there really isn't much in the AI that I've seen so far. Basically it's limited to 'move to a nearby square, attack random nearby opponent'.

And back in the older days, the Japanese prefered their hard RPGs. Remember the differences between Final Fantasy 2 (4 in Japan)? We got the 'easy type' version of their 'normal' game, and then for whatever reason our US version was released in Japan as Final Fantasy 4 Easy Type. FF5 wasn't translated because it was deemed 'too hard' for us American gamers.

As far as graphics go - I find that the style of graphics are just as important as detail. Why I have no problems playing games on my Wii (Metroid Prime 3). Yeah, there are better looking games out there, but the style just rocks.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2007, 08:50:42 PM »

If you're a fan of old-school RPGs, then Wild ARMs 5 is fantastic.  The overworld graphics are sub-par (especially when compared to something like Dragon Quest 8 ), but the characters and enemies look great.  The battles are fun, quick, and dynamic, and the game is full of likeable characters and quirky charm.  It's definitely not for everyone, but for fans of this type of game, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2007, 05:22:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 20, 2007, 06:05:54 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 20, 2007, 05:53:17 PM

Ah, to each his own. Let me know how Wild ARMS turns out.

Don't know about AI yet.  Haven't heard much positive or negative on WA5 but all I've heard about ES is that it's a complete cakewalk which isn't appealing to me.... 

Wild ARMs 5 from several review sites:

"...truly abysmal AI..."

"...Especially since the AI was apparently borrowed from a PONG machine, so don't expect much in terms of intelligent monsters -- the game really doesn't want you to get hurt, much less die..."

"Random encounters don't offer any additional challenge, just more tedium as you need to move into position before attacking."

"If you miraculously lose to its Fisher Price artificial intelligence, you can elect to start the battle over, or return to your last save point."

"...a slightly above average game weighed down by substandard graphics and an AI that never even reached the point of being half-baked."

Having a poor AI, and then forcing me to move through combat at a slower pace due to the necessity of navigating a small hex-board seems like a bad decision. At least in Brave Story I could end the easy battles in 3 strokes of the "X" button.
I do LOVE the idea of the added tactical element they tried to add, but the implementation sounds very poor.

I really wish Japanese developers would starting implementing scaling AI like that seen in RPGs by Bethesda and Bioware. The ability to change the AI difficulty on the fly? And not have to restart the entire game? Brilliant!

Anyway, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing an RPG. Its just irritating to see one RPG panned and one praised while both share the same inherent flaws. (average story, easy AI)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 05:36:05 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2007, 05:44:54 PM »

Interesting.  Again, though, I don't generally trust review sites for RPGs- I'd rather go buy forum posters whose opinion I trust, almost all of whom have given WA5 high marks. And if you do want to trust review sites, I'd point out that a grand total of three percentage points separates the Gamerankings ratings for BD (78), ES(79), and WA5 (76).   

Also, in general, I don't think most JRPGs have much, if any, in the way AI so it's surprising to see it highlighted in reviews.  It probably comes more into play in WA because of the movement aspect of the hex grid but in the conventional no-movement turn based setups each enemy has a couple of set attacks and AI doesn't even come into play beyond some form of rudimentary "target person with lowest HP".  Even in Persona 3, which has outstanding AI for your party members, the enemies don't have same level of intelligence as your party members do, at least playing on Normal. 

Do Bethesda and Bioware actually use scaling AI?  I've never messed with the difficulty levels in their games but my experience is that most developers' idea of difficulty scales are limited to "enemy hits harder, the player hits weaker" which has zero to do with AI.  The games where the enemies actually use different tactics on different difficulty levels seems to be few and far between, whether western or easter, or RPG or not. 

On the fly difficulty levels are definitely nice but I think we are going to see less of that, not more, due to achievements.  I think any game that defines certain achievements based on difficulty level is going to be less likely to include on the fly difficultly changes.  But, yeah, I'd like to see more of that.   
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2007, 05:51:04 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 21, 2007, 05:22:56 PM

Anyway, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing an RPG. Its just irritating to see one RPG panned and one praised while both share the same inherent flaws. (average story, easy AI)

Hmm, I haven't panned or praised anything.  The ES demo did zero for me and I haven't seen or read anything since to change that.   Meanwhile I've heard lots of great recommendations for WA5 and it's $20 cheaper than the 360 RPGs so I'm going to play that.  I also don't feel I hold any obligation to throw financial support any specific way.  The videogame industry gets more than it's fair share of my income as it is.  And if I did feel like I need to show some form of support, then I'd probably be more likely to throw it XSeed or Atlus's way rather than MS or Namco-Bandai. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2007, 07:21:12 PM »

Played it for a couple of hours last night and enjoyed it a great deal.  I love the art style of the game and I turned off the subtitles, so when the cutscenes come in, it feels like I am watching a cartoon.  I really like the battle system a great deal in that it is real time, but you have "turns" because of the action meter.  I also like the whole light/shadow mechanic as well, where you special changes based on whether you are standing in light or shadow.  I have this and Blue Dragon and Blue Dragon is going to be put on hold until I finish Eternal Sonata.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2007, 10:05:20 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 21, 2007, 07:21:12 PM

Played it for a couple of hours last night and enjoyed it a great deal.  I love the art style of the game and I turned off the subtitles, so when the cutscenes come in, it feels like I am watching a cartoon.  I really like the battle system a great deal in that it is real time, but you have "turns" because of the action meter.  I also like the whole light/shadow mechanic as well, where you special changes based on whether you are standing in light or shadow.  I have this and Blue Dragon and Blue Dragon is going to be put on hold until I finish Eternal Sonata.

After 3.5 hours of Blue Dragon in hard mode I think I am going to stop and try Eternal Sonata before I decide what to play. I absolutely adored the ES demo-and the openness and difficulty of BD on hard is making me feel like its an RPG to play when I don't have other stuff coming up-that is when I tend to really get into and enjoy hardcore jRPGs-when releases are slow so I can focus. A nice, linearish 35 hour RPG like ES might be the ticket now-and if I don't end up liking it as much as BD, I can just go back! Win win!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2007, 11:09:42 PM »

I decided to give up on Blue Dragon, not that it was a bad game or anything I just didn't like how towards the end I basically had no clue what to do and where to go. I'll probably wait a week or so to give myself a break between RPGs after BD and before Mass Effect.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2007, 12:08:14 AM »

pisses me off

eternal sonata that is...no i havent got it....its the fact that it isnt released here in the UK until the 19th october....bastards!!

get Halo 3 next week,but i doubt it will last me even past the end of September,so i am gonna play blue dragon.COD4 beta(the rank goes up again next friday to 25)..and i bought a few older games today
resi evil zero,resi evil code veronica,silent hill 4...and scarface:the world is yours for the Wii

^^^^all that money could of gone to eternal sonata,had it already been released!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2007, 01:45:56 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 21, 2007, 05:44:54 PM

Do Bethesda and Bioware actually use scaling AI?  I've never messed with the difficulty levels in their games but my experience is that most developers' idea of difficulty scales are limited to "enemy hits harder, the player hits weaker" which has zero to do with AI.  The games where the enemies actually use different tactics on different difficulty levels seems to be few and far between, whether western or easter, or RPG or not. 

On the fly difficulty levels are definitely nice but I think we are going to see less of that, not more, due to achievements.  I think any game that defines certain achievements based on difficulty level is going to be less likely to include on the fly difficultly changes.  But, yeah, I'd like to see more of that.   

No, I'd have to agree with you here. I should have used the term on-the-fly scaling difficulty instead of scaling AI. That is what I get for posting after a 15 hour work day. Still, its nice to have the option to bump up the difficulty at any point without needing to restart the game.

Eternal Sonata would be a better game if the difficulty was slightly higher. Its too easy to abuse the special attack button, and overall you can perform significantly more attacks than most enemy parties. But I'm roughly six hours in and the game continues to impress me. The story is nicely told and some of the characters are endearing. The battle system is a wonderful idea that would have been phenomenal with just a few extra tweaks. I love how your attacks change depending on the light/dark aspect of the battlefield. The game really does feel like you're playing a high-budget cartoon. The transition from gameplay to cutscenes shows no sudden, dramatic change in quality, which is a really nice bonus. It makes things feel more seamless.

Some people may find the world to be absolutely beautiful but too confining at the same time. It feels alot like Fable in that sense. There is all this beautiful scenery and architecture that you just can't...quite... explore.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2007, 02:03:59 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 22, 2007, 01:45:56 AM

Some people may find the world to be absolutely beautiful but too confining at the same time. It feels alot like Fable in that sense. There is all this beautiful scenery and architecture that you just can't...quite... explore.

That's kind of what's still turning me off the game.  I like my JRPGs to have a fair amount of ADD- I like lots of nooks and crannies to explore, sidequests, collectables, etc.  From what I've read about Eternal Sonata there is very little of that- it's pretty much just a series of battles where you pass through the occasional town and watch some cutscenes. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: