http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:23:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IGN gives Eternal Sonata an 8.3  (Read 6617 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »

I read the review and was extremely happy that the game is actually pretty good. It's not mind-blowing, it's not a difficult game, but it's a good one overall with good graphics and art direction. I'll definately be jumping on board, perhaps later into the month though since I'm still working on BD.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 02:08:30 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:16:44 AM »

Here's a link:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819923p1.html

Sounds decent, but the linearity and lack of customization turns me off.  I'll probably rent it or pick it up when it hits a lower price. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 02:58:50 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on September 14, 2007, 02:16:44 AM

Here's a link:

Sounds decent, but the linearity and lack of customization turns me off.  I'll probably rent it or pick it up when it hits a lower price. 

What JRPG is not linear and lacking customization though? I mean, I haven't played a single JRPG since FFX (not including BD), but unless recent JRPGs have changed dramatically, none of them could really be considered non-linear and highly customizable in light of a game like Oblivion.

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 03:20:32 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 14, 2007, 02:58:50 AM

What JRPG is not linear and lacking customization though? I mean, I haven't played a single JRPG since FFX (not including BD), but unless recent JRPGs have changed dramatically, none of them could really be considered non-linear and highly customizable in light of a game like Oblivion.

JRPGs aren't generally non-linear in the sense of something like Oblivion where it's "explore the world at your leisure in whatever order you feel like."  I liken a non-linear JRPG to something that feeds the ADD in people instead by giving you so many different optioins that you've always got stuff to screw around with.  Shadow Hearts 2 would fit that bill- linear progression but it has so many little sidequests and minigames that there is always something interesting you can be doing and you can switch between them at your leisure.  Dark Cloud 2 is probably the ultimate example of this.  I don't know if it's the case with Eternal Sonata but a too-linear JRPG wouldn't give you much to do or many interesting decisions along the way. 

To use my current JRPG du-jour as an example, in Persona 3 some evenings I might feel like doing nothing but hanging out in the Velvet Room doing Demon Fusions and I can easily blow a couple of hours doing just that.  Another night I might want to work on some of the "sidequests" the dungeon offers and devote all of my time there.  Other times it's deciding to progress the story or maybe it's working on the "Social" aspects of the game.  Generally I can spend as much or as little time on those activities as I want and the game gives me tons of content for each to keep me interested. 

Customization comes into this because many of these games have a crafting mechanism which can be outright crafting (Star Ocean 3, most Level 5 games like Dragon Quest 8, Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, etc), something like Demon Fusion (SMT3, Persona 3), or even FFXII's Gambit system.  Just read through the enormous FFXII thread here to see how we all had different character builds and gambits that made each of our playthroughs unique.  This also comes into play with Job Systems like those used in Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy V.  I believe that Blue Dragon uses some form of job system as well. 
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 03:23:40 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 14, 2007, 02:58:50 AM

Here's a link:

I suppose I don't mind as much at a lower price point, but at $60, I feel like I should be getting more.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 03:24:39 AM »

I'll probably rent it or pick it up when it hits a lower price. 

I'll definitely waiting for a price drop and be picking it up sometime next year.  I liked the demo but it didn't feel like a full price purchase.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 03:38:38 AM »

Barring some really postive impressions here I'm OUT on this game completely.  I heard enough bad about it from Japanese importers to turn me off of it.  I've still got too many high quality PS2 RPGs left to play to waste time on a mediocre one just because it has pretty high-res graphics. 
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 09:09:12 AM »

I'm a sucker for these games, so I'll be picking this one up on release day  nod

After spending probably too much time with Blue Dragon, I think 20-30 hour RPG will be a nice change of pace.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 11:39:22 AM »

Definitely going to be picking this up.  After Blue Dragon I'm feeling like a glutton for punishment, but damn does it look nice smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 02:21:34 PM »

I'm much more interested in this than Blue Dragon, but I was hoping for some positive reviews.  Hopefully, this'll be a trend for the American release. 

I wasn't too into the demo the first time, for some reason.  I gave it another shot and loved it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 02:40:09 PM »

I loved the look of the game but I'm waiting for some reviews.  And I don't count IGN as a credible review source.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 03:13:15 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 14, 2007, 02:40:09 PM

I loved the look of the game but I'm waiting for some reviews.  And I don't count IGN as a credible review source.

I'm not sure how you can say that, warning.  They gave Moo III a 9.2 - how much more credible could you want!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 03:44:43 PM »

I know I'm getting this, but I haven't decided if I'm getting it immediately or not.  I won't be so much waiting for a price drop (though I'll take one if it happens) but trying to spread out my games.  I don't even know if I'll be playing Halo 3 much beyond some online co-op, but there are other games I should be playing (Bioshock and Persona 3, for example)

Who am I kidding, I'll probably have a copy of it next week, because I'm weak, and it's oh so pretty.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 03:49:18 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 14, 2007, 03:13:15 PM

I'm not sure how you can say that, warning.  They gave Moo III a 9.2 - how much more credible could you want!

Ooh, slammed with a reference from four and a half years ago.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 03:52:06 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 14, 2007, 03:49:18 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on September 14, 2007, 03:13:15 PM

Ooh, slammed with a reference from four and a half years ago.

yeah, LD with the Hat Goal!  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 04:20:36 PM »

After reading IGN's review, it still sounds like a really fun game.  Their only downsides were the linearity, equipment not changing avatar appearance, and the length being "only" 30 hours.

I can handle some linearity as long as I'm having fun and it's not as bad as Icarus "Diablo fans will love this!", I've come to terms with avatar appearances not always changing with equipment, and 30 hours means I might actually beat it in a couple months.

Sounds like it'll be great as long as you're not expecting a 100+ hour epic.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 04:23:11 PM »

The other comments I've heard about the game:

- Exceptionally easy.  Like really, really turn your brain off, no need to explore any depths of the combat system, push the X button to win-easy.  Don't know if they added a hard mode to the US version or not. 

- Awful story

- Mundane and boring dungeon design

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 04:54:50 PM »

Dangit.  Oh well, I've got to at least buy this on the cheap sometime down the road.  I think it's really neat how they actually worked with the Chopin Society to get their details accurate.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 05:13:42 PM »

I heard the combat was fun.   icon_neutral

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 05:31:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 14, 2007, 04:23:11 PM

- Exceptionally easy.  Like really, really turn your brain off, no need to explore any depths of the combat system, push the X button to win-easy.  Don't know if they added a hard mode to the US version or not. 

- Awful story

Given this, and how shallow/short the game is, I don't understand how IGN rated it higher than Blue Dragon. icon_neutral

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 06:38:11 PM »

IGN seemed to have some major complaints with the game, including graphical issues, crappy battle music, and slow pacing. That doesn't seem to be the case with ES, whose biggest problem seems to be it's linearity. I'm actually quite surprised at how much progress I've made in BD, as well as the fact that I'm looking forward to playing through it. I'm enjoying the game a lot, even though reviewers say its boring.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 06:40:13 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 01:05:42 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 14, 2007, 06:38:11 PM

IGN seemed to have some major complaints with the game, including graphical issues, crappy battle music, and slow pacing. That doesn't seem to be the case with ES, whose biggest problem seems to be it's linearity. I'm actually quite surprised at how much progress I've made in BD, as well as the fact that I'm looking forward to playing through it. I'm enjoying the game a lot, even though reviewers say its boring.

I feel the same way.  I am really enjoying Blue Dragon despite everyone telling me I shouldn't be.   icon_biggrin

And I am pretty sure I will enjoy Eternal Sonata as well.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2007, 02:28:38 PM »

I'm supporting it. I'm hate the fact that the 360 is turning into a FPS/Sports console machine, just like its predecessor. But I feel like a Republican voting in the state of California.

Blue Dragon crashed and burned.
Viva Pinata went down in flames.
Kameo bit the dust.
Overlord limped along and sputtered out.
Enchanted Arms imploded.

Does anyone know if Culdcept Saga is even coming to the 360 any more? It was due out in early summer, got pushed to September, and now I hear that a release is "under review".

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2007, 03:22:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 14, 2007, 04:23:11 PM

- Awful story

These two factors take it from a release day game to a "maybe sometime down the road" game.  With my increasingly limited gaming budget, I just can't justify dropping $60 on a game that I might like.  I want to support the quirky JRPG, but can't do it when I know there's a some games coming up that are no-brainers for me (i.e. Mass Effect, Rock Band, etc.).

I wasn't crazy about the demo anyways.  It looked nice, but both the combat system and the sheer ridiculousness of the game's concept turned me off. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 06:26:29 PM »

Gametrailers has their review up and is positive.  Honestly, while not the most deep or complex rpg, I'll most likely pick it up as I love the battle system, the art, and the length actually sounds about ideal to me.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24972.html

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 09:30:58 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 15, 2007, 02:28:38 PM

Does anyone know if Culdcept Saga is even coming to the 360 any more?

I think Namco Bandai were showing it at its last Gamer's Day (or whatever it's called) and there's a list of achievements here, so I would assume it's still coming.  EB/Gamestop is listing it as January 2008, though.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2007, 11:48:33 PM »

I have had it pre-ordered for awhile, but Blue Dragon will most likely take me up to HALO 3 launch so it will hit the back burner

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2007, 12:01:53 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 15, 2007, 02:28:38 PM

I'm supporting it. I'm hate the fact that the 360 is turning into a FPS/Sports console machine, just like its predecessor. But I feel like a Republican voting in the state of California.

Blue Dragon crashed and burned.
Viva Pinata went down in flames.
Kameo bit the dust.
Overlord limped along and sputtered out.
Enchanted Arms imploded.

Well, we now know that the JRPG market is very small on the 360. However, I don't agree with the use of your other examples. Lets face it, Viva Pinata was going to crash and burn on any platform except possibly the Wii. Overlord was never going to be big, there's just nothing that stands out about it. And Kameo, well, perhaps it only appealed to the younger audience and we know the 360 doesn't have a huge demographic there either. However, other non-FPS and sports games have done well, so I'm not concerned about the 360 being a FPS/Sports machine at all.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:04:42 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 01:26:52 AM »

I have it preordered, I want the faceplate, and I liked the demo, I like some of the combat quirks. I am fine with it being a 20 to 30 hour game.

As for what the 360 is known for, it's clearly a Shooter/Sports system, just use IGN as a barometer, not the best, but looking at their reviews the 8.0 and up are dominated by Shooters, Racing, and Sports. I love how they call Bioshock an Action Rpg, because it is clearly a shooter. Gamerankings bears the evidence as well.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 01:37:59 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2007, 03:53:30 AM »

One of the most beautiful games I've ever seen.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2007, 11:06:45 AM »

Wow I want this game!!  I'll be getting the improved version for the PS3 though (when I do end up getting a PS3 that is).
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »

It's got an 80 at metacritic right now with 10 reviews. So doing about the same as blue dragon there, but with less at the very high end and none below 70.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/eternalsonata
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 03:45:11 AM »

GameSpot has reviewed the game and given it an 8.5.

Quote from: GameSpot
The Good
* Magnificent visual design makes even the most mundane places look beautiful 
* Stunning musical score 
* Inventive battle system is both tactical and packed with exciting action 
* A great cast of warm, charming characters will draw you into the story.

The Bad
* Story is completely linear 
* Photography element makes money too easy to earn.

-Autistic Angel
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 03:20:58 PM »

Well, I think I'm sold. I passed on Blue Dragon but this sounds pretty appealing.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 09:29:19 PM »

Gamefly shipped my copy today, will get a chance to play this weekend it seems.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 10:26:17 PM »

Great, I was afraid this would happen. I couldn't complete Blue Dragon in time so now I'm considering not finishing BD and moving to ES.

Sean Lama
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 10:31:58 PM »

I caved and picked it up earlier this morning.  I'm only about 3 hours into it, but so far I like it.  As could be expected, the music is fantastic (I really liked the music in the cathedral).  The world is absolutely beautiful.  But - as I read, at least so far, it is very easy.  Not even challenging, and that's with two boss battles.  Despite that, I can't wait to get more time in.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2007, 10:38:46 PM »

Quote from: Interloper on September 18, 2007, 10:31:58 PM

I caved and picked it up earlier this morning.  I'm only about 3 hours into it, but so far I like it.  As could be expected, the music is fantastic (I really liked the music in the cathedral).  The world is absolutely beautiful.  But - as I read, at least so far, it is very easy.  Not even challenging, and that's with two boss battles.  Despite that, I can't wait to get more time in.

No Hard mode?

Sean Lama
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2007, 10:44:31 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 18, 2007, 10:38:46 PM

Quote from: Interloper on September 18, 2007, 10:31:58 PM

No Hard mode?

Not that I've found.  It just has the standard "New Game" option, with no difficulty.  Although, I've read somewhere that upon beating the game, you can finish it at a harder setting for a second playthrough.  Keep in mind though, I'm only a few hours in.  I'm hoping it does get tougher.  I like a challenge.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:47 PM »

According to the Gamespot review,
the challenge ramps up considerably as the game progresses.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: