http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 07:12:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IGN's Blue Dragon review  (Read 1263 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2007, 08:12:28 PM »

Certainly not glowing

Spoiler for Hiden:

Looking more and more like I'll wait for a used copy.  Mainly because:

The amount of time you have to invest in Blue Dragon before the payout occurs is excessive by any measuring stick...For the first 10-15 hours Blue Dragon offers linearity, characters you know little about, and little in the means of interesting action or combat. It's not a far stretch of the imagination at all to think that a great number of gamers won't make it over this first hump.

If there were any type of worthwhile story or intriguing characters, I could look past some of the more lackluster aspects of Blue Dragon. But the story – the reason most folks pick up an RPG – is sophomoric and uninteresting.

Though it has some nice touches, Blue Dragon’s first disc (which will eat up 15 hours of your life) is a total snooze fest.

When people start saying the story is bad even in comparison to Dragon Quest games, you know it's really, really bad.  I know it was never supposed to be BD's strong point, but I can't see paying $60 for a game that's going to bore me to tears.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:20:43 PM »

Same.  I like story, character interaction... sounds as if it's somewhat lacking.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:28:54 PM »

I didn't think the review sounded too bad (IGN is a pretty shitty site IMHO, so their reviews don't hold much water for me). The following line, summed it up for me:

But for those needing a solid traditional role-playing experience on Xbox 360, Blue Dragon will fit the bill.

Anyway, it's getting an 82% on Game Rankings, I have played some games I had a lot of fun with that scored lower than that.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:39:47 PM »

Quote from: Lee on August 16, 2007, 08:28:54 PM

I didn't think the review sounded too bad (IGN is a pretty shitty site IMHO, so their reviews don't hold much water for me). The following line, summed it up for me:

But for those needing a solid traditional role-playing experience on Xbox 360, Blue Dragon will fit the bill.

Anyway, it's getting an 82% on Game Rankings, I have played some games I had a lot of fun with that scored lower than that.

Yeah, 82% at GR sounds fine, and that line from IGN fits me perfectly. I have been itching for a traditional role player on the 360, and frankly, based on the demo I really liked the graphics/character models, really liked the combat system, and loved the skill system. 7.9 and boring first disc be damned, I am stoked. Wish it was out sooner.

Plenty of really good games get 7.9s either way.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 08:41:16 PM »

I think I'm going to hold off and continue to work on FF12 instead smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:48:35 PM »

I personally enjoyed the ES demo over BD. I'll get BD once this release madness is gone and it's a bit cheaper.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 09:17:26 PM »

hmm.  82 over 14 reviews.  not bad.  some of the outliers scare me more than the middle ground though.  makes this more of a love it or hate it situation.  60% makes me wary. 

while i would love for jrpgs to be a success on the 360, i have little interest in this one atm. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:22:27 PM »

I'm still highly interested in this one, I mean frankly a lot of RPGs are a quite ho-hum in the story department anyhow so if the characters can do a decent job of drawing me in, I don't think I'll mind playing through and exploring the world.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »

hmm,OXM uk gave it a 9/10...same issue they gave Bioshock a 10/10

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 10:12:52 PM »

Quote from: Gratch
When people start saying the story is bad even in comparison to Dragon Quest games, you know it's really, really bad.  I know it was never supposed to be BD's strong point, but I can't see paying $60 for a game that's going to bore me to tears. 

!?!?!?! Dragon Quest VIII's story was great.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:49:21 PM »

Dragon Quest VIII had a story???  I just couldn't plow through that game I'm afraid.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:30:31 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 16, 2007, 10:49:21 PM

Dragon Quest VIII had a story???  I just couldn't plow through that game I'm afraid.

My thoughts exactly.  The near constant grinding you had to do ended up boring me.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 12:22:16 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 16, 2007, 11:30:31 PM

Quote from: Canuck on August 16, 2007, 10:49:21 PM

My thoughts exactly.  The near constant grinding you had to do ended up boring me.

My issue with DQ8 too, but the biggest issue was that the battle system was so painfully back-asswardly, purposefuly old, boring and obtuse that I didn't want to grind. I played BD for an hour, loved every fight. Sometimes this stuff just clicks with people. I am not really worried about ho-hum stories. Half of the better rpgs that come out in any given year have pretty much the same formulaic story smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 02:29:25 AM »

If by grinding, you mean fighting battles while doing nothing else, the only time you had to do that is the beginning, which I assume was done purposefully as a nostalgic throwback to the earlier games.  As long as you fully explore the overworld and dungeons, you can get through the game just fine.

Quote from: Calvin
but the biggest issue was that the battle system was so painfully back-asswardly, purposefuly old, boring and obtuse that I didn't want to grind. I played BD for an hour, loved every fight.
I haven't played the BD demo, but from what I've seen its battle system looks very similar to DQ8's.  I know there are the field skills and the charge meter, but the basic system of standard attacks, weapon skills, and magic seems the same to me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:35:38 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 02:55:29 AM »

I'll buy it just to support the market for these kinds of games on the 360.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 04:59:13 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 17, 2007, 02:29:25 AM

If by grinding, you mean fighting battles while doing nothing else, the only time you had to do that is the beginning, which I assume was done purposefully as a nostalgic throwback to the earlier games.  As long as you fully explore the overworld and dungeons, you can get through the game just fine.

I must not have done the dungeons correctly then, because even with many hours of grinding I was woefully underlevelled around 25 hours in.  That was about the point I quit.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 10:03:21 AM »

My only concern at this point is the frame-rate. I'll definately be buying BD and Eternal Sonata, because as rrmorton said, I want to support these genres on the 360. However, a choppy frame-rate is hard to overlook, and it's becoming a frustratingly common thing in 360 games. I'm playing through The Darkness at the moment, and there are a bunch of choppy moments which annoy the crap out of me. As pretty as a lot of these games may look, it doesn't mean shit if it has a choppy frame-rate. 

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 03:12:55 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 16, 2007, 08:12:28 PM

The amount of time you have to invest in Blue Dragon before the payout occurs is excessive by any measuring stick...For the first 10-15 hours Blue Dragon offers linearity, characters you know little about, and little in the means of interesting action or combat. It's not a far stretch of the imagination at all to think that a great number of gamers won't make it over this first hump.

I usually give a game 5 hours to catch my interest, so that pretty much knocks it off of my rental list.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »

Oh boy, I finally played the demo last night and I was disgusted by the frame-rate. As much as I want to support the game, I'm skipping it. I simply can't stand slowdown in my games, especially if it is going to be so commonplace.

Sean Lama
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 05:28:56 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 17, 2007, 05:24:00 PM

Oh boy, I finally played the demo last night and I was disgusted by the frame-rate. As much as I want to support the game, I'm skipping it. I simply can't stand slowdown in my games, especially if it is going to be so commonplace.

Really? I barely noticed it. I mean I did notice it, but it didn't bug me enough to want to skip the game.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 05:32:06 PM »

I mainly noticed it during the battles, every battle.

Sean Lama
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on August 17, 2007, 02:55:29 AM

Or because you're a gigantic consumer whore.  icon_biggrin

I've got too many games and too little time to play them without adding a massive RPG to the mix. Maybe I'll pick this up cheap in the Spring when there aren't too many exciting games coming out.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 06:33:37 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on August 17, 2007, 05:49:52 PM

Quote from: rrmorton on August 17, 2007, 02:55:29 AM

Or because you're a gigantic consumer whore.  icon_biggrin

Nah... If I were a consumer whore I'd be buying the "new" Madden game every year slywink

Sean Lama
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 06:48:10 PM »

I read the IGN review, doesn't sound like the negatives will bother me too much; if the gameplay's there, I'll enjoy it even if the story isn't all that great.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: