http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 06:07:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you want to be scared sh$tless, play PT, the playable teaser for Silent Hills  (Read 754 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »

I wasn't sure what PT was after reading about it through all the Gamescom announcements. I knew it was an interactive teaser, but I thought that meant it was a YouTube video that you could perhaps "click to continue" and link into branching trailers. I once worked with a PR firm that did something similar to that for Jennifer Lopez, where users were able to decide how she got to the Grammys.

Someone on Twitter said to search for PT in the PlayStation Store, which is what alerted me to the possibility that there was something more to it. Lo and behold, it's a game demo. And Gooood Lawwwd, is it terrifying. I mean, I've played the recent kings of horror, Amnesia and Outlast, and PT still tops them. It's not scarier, per se, it's not just about monsters popping out of nowhere and attacking you. It's... what Silent Hill does best. It's psychological terror, it sends shivers down your spine. At one point my wife walked out of the bedroom and into the living room where I was playing (it was late at night, she had already gone to bed) and I kid you not, I gasped for air out of fear.

Turn down the lights, put on headphones if you have them, and experience this thing. Silent Hills just won a customer.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:54:22 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »

I watched the GB quick look.  The first 20 minutes or so did look quite tense but after that it seemed to devolve into really obscure puzzles.  The player actually gave up before seeing the end.  Did you complete the whole thing?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »

It's not a teaser that's designed to be completed. You play it until you can't figure out how to keep going, and then stop. The devs didn't expect anyone to complete the teaser within the first week, and people still haven't fully agreed on how you actually solve the game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »

No.  It was too scary!
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:22:02 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 15, 2014, 05:13:10 PM

It's not a teaser that's designed to be completed. You play it until you can't figure out how to keep going, and then stop. The devs didn't expect anyone to complete the teaser within the first week, and people still haven't fully agreed on how you actually solve the game.
Ending!

Watching that, I recognize where it is.  The Giant Bomb guy gave up almost right before the ending.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:23:41 PM by Lordnine » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:58:19 PM »

I'd say more it was designed to require internet collaboration to finish.  Think an actual video game of an ARG like I Love Bees.

It's also totally worth checking out even just for a bit to get a sense of the the atmosphere etc that they can accomplish, it's a pretty impressive little package, and everyone with a PS4 should load it up and make at least a few loops of the corridor.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on August 15, 2014, 07:58:19 PM

I'd say more it was designed to require internet collaboration to finish.  Think an actual video game of an ARG like I Love Bees.

It's also totally worth checking out even just for a bit to get a sense of the the atmosphere etc that they can accomplish, it's a pretty impressive little package, and everyone with a PS4 should load it up and make at least a few loops of the corridor.

Everyone always talks about how scary Amnesia is, but I think this thing is about 50x creepier than Amnesia and it's a mere interactive teaser.  When I saw Kojima was going to do this thing, I was really excited because he has had some cool ideas in the MGS games and I think in a horror game he could go even deeper.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »

The engine and tech seems great. I only saw someone playing the last bit inside the house and they handled that claustrophobic dark house look in first person better than anything so far.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 15, 2014, 09:33:42 PM

The engine and tech seems great.

According to Kojima, they deliberately downscaled the graphics in this teaser to make it look more like an indie game.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 02:51:02 AM »

Just completed it and it's just an amazing little teaser.  Super creepy and atmospheric and has me so hyped for the game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 05:54:41 AM »

I think I was saying this a long time ago when these new consoles were about to be announced, but I thought these new consoles, and the hardware standard they'll push onto PCs, will do great things for scary games.

A lot of what makes things scary are the subtle effects that are often times much, much, much more expensive on hardware power to do properly. Subtle tweaking of lights, subtle post processing across a scene. Making shadows seem to almost live, etc. It all needs to be done across an entire scene and the more detail in the scene, such as with first person, or close in third person, makes it even more power intensive.

Even going through a house with a dim flashlight, where the darkness seems to swallow all that light before it can reach the end of the hall is just intense. Sure, many indie games use that same effect as a cost saving measure, but now it can be done as purely mood enhancement.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »

I'm hoping this generation brings us more horror games with a psychological focus, instead of the normal Resident Evil run-and-gun. Photorealism will do wonders for the genre if the right developer decides to focus on story and atmosphere.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »

By the way, I am a total coward when it comes to horror games. If I'm alone, I will not even play. The only way I've experienced the most recent horror games is through youtube. I own most of them, I just can't bring myself to play through them.

I saw the first few segments of this teaser, and NOPE.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

This teaser alone is scarier than the actual Silent Hill game it teases will ever be. They couldn't make it this scary along the entire game without causing heart attacks.

Holy f'ing hell.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 09:34:06 AM »

Now imagine it with the Oculus Rift. slywink
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 09:36:08 AM »

Btw, for anyone who may be worried that Silent Hills will be PS4 exclusive, there's no reason to assume it will be. The P.T. demo wasn't even listed as exclusive at Sony's Gamescom conference, so you should expect it at the Xbox One sooner or later. No idea if this will show up on PC though.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 03:12:00 AM »

Uh, I just watched a video. I got to the

Spoiler for Hiden:
Creepy baby in the sink

and I NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPED out of there.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 03:22:07 AM »

haha you people "noping" from just watching videos, imagine playing it!

I'm on the last puzzle section.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 05:29:46 AM »

Exactly. I can't imagine playing it. The last scary game I managed to play through was Fatal Frame 2. That was third person for most of the game.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 05:37:22 AM »

Super. Fucking. Creepy. I just played it.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 06:18:48 AM »

Patrick does the Giant Bomb horror stuff.  I asked him in a tweet what he thought it would be like playing that with the Morpheus and he replied with "I don't want to think about it! smile".  There is no way I'm playing this demo!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 06:30:58 AM »

I'll try and finish it tomorrow. It was too much for me tonight . paranoid
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 12:57:15 PM »

I played it but I got stuck:

Spoiler for Hiden:
After the baby in the sink version, I got stuck where the radio keeps repeating the story, but then the ghost voice cuts in, says a bunch of numbers, then says to look behind you. I couldn't figure out what to do after that

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 18, 2014, 12:57:15 PM

I played it but I got stuck:

Spoiler for Hiden:
After the baby in the sink version, I got stuck where the radio keeps repeating the story, but then the ghost voice cuts in, says a bunch of numbers, then says to look behind you. I couldn't figure out what to do after that

Spoiler for Hiden:
I believe that's the section where it says "gouge it out" on that one photo with a blue x, you need to hit the X button on the picture to rip the picture.

Some of the stuff is super obtuse, but very Kojima,  for instance when finding the ripped picture pieces
Spoiler for Hiden:
one of the pieces is in the options menu, and you need to go to options and hold down R3 to examine like you do in the hallway"
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »

I won't be playing this.  I'm a wuss.  TLOU is about as intense as I really want.  I've played RE through the years, but games like silent hill are too much...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 10:52:13 AM »

I hate this game. I had my girlfriend play it, and she got so freaked out that she couldn't fall asleep. Instead she spent the whole night keeping me awake.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 19, 2014, 10:52:13 AM

I hate this game. I had my girlfriend play it, and she got so freaked out that she couldn't fall asleep. Instead she spent the whole night keeping me awake.
And not in the good way, right? slywink
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 08:29:44 PM »

I have yet to be scared in a game, so I really want a PC version of this playable trailer.  From the reactions, it sounds legit.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 12:53:44 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 19, 2014, 01:28:16 PM

You mean like cooking?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 04:29:45 AM »

Quote from: Travis on August 19, 2014, 08:29:44 PM

I have yet to be scared in a game, so I really want a PC version of this playable trailer.  From the reactions, it sounds legit.

Legit it is. This is seriously creepy . Creepy, creepy and more creepy.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 05:18:15 AM »

All the more reason for me to be angry it is PS4 only  icon_cry
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »

No one has said it is PS4 only. Well, the demo certainly is but as others have said, if it was a Sony exclusive then they would be shouting it from the heavens.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 12:45:06 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on August 20, 2014, 12:53:44 AM

Quote from: Canuck on August 19, 2014, 01:28:16 PM

You mean like cooking?

She kept reading me poetry from her class of third grade students.....(she's a teacher)

I'm serious. F!ck this game. That was true horror.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »

The teaser seems to be, there's rumors it was directly funded by Sony as a kind of marketing tool.

However, the game is definitely cross platform. It's the usual thing where they try to establish that the game is dominant on one platform.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That early scene where the undead woman is standing there, and you, in first person view, have to push the button to move toward it.

It's the same reason that, for a lot of people, playing games like Amnesia is just too much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: