http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 04:44:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you really like a game, HOW do you play it?
Even if I like a game, I play just the main story - zip, zoom, Done! - 0 (0%)
I play mostly the main story, hitting only the most compelling side-quests - 4 (8.5%)
I play the main story, most subquests and extras, but don't go nuts getting every little thing - 29 (61.7%)
I try to do everything in the game,  holding off the ending until I've done it all - 10 (21.3%)
If the Final Boss is done, so am I - 3 (6.4%)
Other? - 1 (2.1%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you really like a game, HOW do you play it?  (Read 989 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:38:59 PM »

Bear in mind, only consider games that you absolutely loved everything, or almost everything about.  The kind of game that you are very sad to see end.  I tend to land somewhere between option 3 and 4 - but only if I really, really like the game.

In this category, for me, are: The Legend of Zelda (NES); Morrowind; Pirates of the Caribbean (despite the ugly glitches); and Final Fantasy XII.  And though I don't often re-play games:

I've played LOZ abut 6 times.

I played Morrowind to death, with different characters and styles, and made sure I had done just about everything possible, including all of the strongholds you could build.  I did NOT count how many caves I'd explored, but I went into every one I found, and that was a lot.  I mastered every skill, ruled every House, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah.

I would've played Pirates again, and I did play it all the way through with sidequests and main storyline - but I couldn't bear to re-play it due to the glitches.  But if they remade it without the glitches, I'd be IN!

Currently, I'm finishing up FFXII.  I'm holding off the last step of the main story to pursue some more sidequests. I have most of the Espers, and all but two of the Rare Monsters (there are 80, lol!), and will try to get them, if it isn't too crazy hard.

Most games, I don't even like repeating sections of, but there are a few I go nuts getting every drop of enjoyment from.

You?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:47:11 PM »

I used to explore every nook and cranny. I still want to but doing that nowadays I would only finish 1 game a year and I have a backlog of good games I want to clear. So I'm hitting up the main quest and doing a good amount of side quests, but not overturning every single rock or going on every single mission. Though if its a shorter game I might pick up every rock.

I'm currently playing Vampire Bloodlines. Stalled a bit before the hotel a long time ago and after finish up the HL series, went back to VB and have gotten to Hollywood so far. I want to replay as Malk and maybe one other type to see how the game changes but I want to get to other games too. So I'm thinking I'll do the replays just enough to get a good feel unless it really gets its teeth in me. Then I still might bypass some sidequests to shorten up the replay.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »

This poll is impossible to answer as "in the nude slathered in oatmeal" isn't an option.

Otherwise I picked the "don't go nuts" options.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:48:30 PM »

I play the main story, most subquests and extras, but don't go nuts getting every little thing
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:20:34 PM »

is this 'cos i called you crazy for going after everything in FF12 myto?

i put the middle-ish option 'dont go nuts'

but it really depends on the game and how i am feeling at the time,i remember FF9 i pretty much did everything(which i am replaying now)
FF7 i WANTED to do everything but i remember at the time that breeding Black chocobos(or was it gold)just wouldnt happen for me,so i could never collect 'Knights of the round' summon(i also didn't defeat Ruby Weapon in the desert)

last weekend i decided to go back on Bully for the 360,and low and behold i got 100% from it(it helped that i actually got a reward at the end by getting an achievement)

Fable II i think i am gonna book a week off work and try and get everything done (prolly not in that week,but the time off will help)

i just got GTA4 back of my sister to go for the 100%....but i just cant be arsed going after all those flying rats

Kingdom hearts - f**k that gummi ship,waste of time IMO..so i didnt do anything with it(rest of the game was genius though)

Oblivion-i have done pretty much everything but start again with another character(one day i will,the game was good enough for another 100 hr playthru)

Zelda-Majoras mask---i am very proud that i did everything in that game,got all masks and everything..i think i did everything in wind waker,links awakening and ocarina as well(twilight princess i was missing a heart)

Pirates of the carribean...i think i had that for the xbox1,and hated it..was it really that good?(we are talking about the one without Jack sparrow right?)

so er,yeah..i am in the middle

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:21:50 PM »

I play the main story, most subquests and extras, but don't go nuts getting every little thing.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 19, 2008, 09:21:50 PM

I play the main story, most subquests and extras, but don't go nuts getting every little thing.

+1
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:13:34 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 19, 2008, 09:27:40 PM

Quote from: The Grue on August 19, 2008, 09:21:50 PM

+1

+1... tho i also got all the masks in majora (still my favorite zelda)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 01:13:51 AM »

Quote from: Jancelot on August 19, 2008, 08:47:39 PM

This poll is impossible to answer as "in the nude slathered in oatmeal" isn't an option.

Otherwise I picked the "don't go nuts" options.

+1

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 01:43:09 AM »

It depends on the game, but if I really like it I will tend to try and find/do everything there is.  Sometimes that becomes a bit overwhelming which causes me to run out of steam and move on to something else, so I would probably be better off just doing the main stuff and finishing the game. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 03:11:43 AM »

I really, really take my time.

And end up losing interest.

It's sad.

TheMissingLink on PSN
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 10:53:55 AM »

big rpg'er here. Mostly play for the story. side quests generally suck(/glares at ME) so I don't care too much about them. Plus once  you hit the 100+ mark you just want to end it. I couldn't care less about 100% every game. Final boss is dead, i'm done.

that said if a game doesn't hook me in 10 hours I'm done with it. Though now a days that sadly the full length. Pathetic, really.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 06:17:26 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 19, 2008, 09:20:34 PM

is this 'cos i called you crazy for going after everything in FF12 myto?

Yeah, lol, it was kind of due to that.  Mostly you got me thinking about all the folks who seem to play 10 games in the time it takes me to play one.  I always chalked it up to being lost all the time in games, which certainly doesn't help.

I've given up trying to keep track of my gaming hours via the save systems.  Like FFXII, I have a horrific number of hours played, but realized that a lot of it was for reasons other than being lost or forgetful.  I usually feel guilty that I can sit here all day playing a video game hours on end, so I tend to put little chores into the mix.  I'll leave my character standing at the save crystal, or in a vendor menu, while I toss in a laundry, or brush the dog, or whatever.  I really, really, really, haven't spent over 300 hours actually playing FFXII!  icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: