http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 05:21:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you don't fall in love with DQ9 after this new video, you have no heart  (Read 2155 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2006, 07:45:49 AM »

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dragonquest/20th/DQ9PVL.html

Whoa, that looks sweet. I am sold. I was actually sold after an interview said that while the basic gameplay has changed the story and epic quest will still be there.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 08:03:20 AM »

I don't worry about the epic-ness of the game, or the story, or the presentation (after I saw the first screenshots and video). My only real concern is that I hope the gameplay itself is tactical enough and deep enough that it doesn't feel too shallow or hack-n-slashy. icon_smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 09:50:07 AM »

Very nice.  I still have a few concerns, but I have faith in Enix and Level 5 to put out a fun game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:56:35 AM »

Looks good!  I'm sure I'll be getting this.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »

Say it with me now:

2007: the Year of the DS

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 12:56:11 PM »

meh
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 02:23:57 PM »

I was sold the moment the Dragon Quest logo popped up on the screen.  icon_biggrin

It's taken 10 years, but Dragon Quest is BACK ON A NINTENDO CONSOLE, baby! Whohoo!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »

I guess if you like JRPGs you will like it.  Why wouldn't you? It looks like just about every other JRPG I have seen.  They don't take too many chances with art design and game mechanics do they? 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 03:06:06 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 16, 2006, 02:34:05 PM

I guess if you like JRPGs you will like it.  Why wouldn't you? It looks like just about every other JRPG I have seen.  They don't take too many chances with art design and game mechanics do they? 

haha

I'm a big fan of JRPGs myself (although mostly the more mature-themed series/games), but I have no problem with what you said here...given the fact tebunker implied in his thread title that people have no heart if they don't like kiddie-looking games.  correct me if I'm wrong tebunker
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 03:12:06 PM »

I was just being facetious and silly, but take it however you will...

Quote from: denoginizer

I would love to hear what or which Western developed RPGs really push the boundaries of the genre? Bioware practically makes the same game over and over with different and prettier graphics and different themes. Gameplay-wise they are all similiar. Hell, KOTOR was built using D20 rules. Almost all action RPGs are cut from the same cloth. I would love to know what RPG really takes chances with art design and game mechanics. The last one I can think that tried might be Planescape, but even then that was based off of AD&D. Fallout definately pushed some things, but that was forever ago. Morrowind? But that really is steeped in the tradition of the Elder Scrolls series. Hell Oblivion is just more of Morrowind with prettier graphics. Nothing too innovation or outside art design wise.

I really think you can level that criticism at the ENTIRE RPG genre. They don't take too many risks, or stray too far from traditional fantasy settings.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 03:24:07 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 16, 2006, 03:12:06 PM

I would love to hear what or which Western developed RPGs really push the boundaries of the genre?

Ultima IV!!!  nod  thumbsup

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »

Yup, looks like DQ8 only smaller. I guess I'd rather play it on DS so that's good.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 03:31:43 PM »

Quote from: JCC on December 16, 2006, 03:26:33 PM

I would love to hear what or which Western developed RPGs really push the boundaries of the genre?

great choice, but I should've put a limit on it to like the last 8 to 10 years or so.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 03:41:36 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 16, 2006, 03:31:43 PM

Quote from: JCC on December 16, 2006, 03:26:33 PM

great choice, but I should've put a limit on it to like the last 8 to 10 years or so.

GTA San Andreas?

* CeeKay runs away

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 03:42:24 PM »

Game looks awesome.  The DS is awesome.  Whole lotta awesome there.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 03:44:47 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on December 16, 2006, 03:30:09 PM

Yup, looks like DQ8 only smaller. I guess I'd rather play it on DS so that's good.

Same here on both counts.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »

I was just being facetious and silly, but take it however you will...

Quote from: denoginizer

I would love to hear what or which Western developed RPGs really push the boundaries of the genre? Bioware practically makes the same game over and over with different and prettier graphics and different themes. Gameplay-wise they are all similiar. Hell, KOTOR was built using D20 rules. Almost all action RPGs are cut from the same cloth. I would love to know what RPG really takes chances with art design and game mechanics. The last one I can think that tried might be Planescape, but even then that was based off of AD&D. Fallout definately pushed some things, but that was forever ago. Morrowind? But that really is steeped in the tradition of the Elder Scrolls series. Hell Oblivion is just more of Morrowind with prettier graphics. Nothing too innovation or outside art design wise.

I really think you can level that criticism at the ENTIRE RPG genre. They don't take too many risks, or stray too far from traditional fantasy settings.

Except for MMOs and Oblivion I do not play RPGs anymore, so I am not going to argue with you.  I'll just say that I already knew almost exactly what that DQ9 video was going to look like before I watched it.  While the Mass Effect video totally blew me away when I watched it.  Yes Bioware sticks to the same basic formula too. I just think they camouflage it better.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 04:05:31 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 16, 2006, 03:44:47 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on December 16, 2006, 03:30:09 PM

Same here on both counts.

actually, I'd much rather have DQ9 on some next gen home system.  in high-def, so I suppose the PS3 or 360

I'm curious why some of you seem to want it on the DS as a first choice.  gaming on a HDTV is just way better.  but then again, I never understood why a lot of people on gaming forums play their handhelds at home.  the ONLY time I play my DS (or any other handheld) is when I'm traveling or sometimes at the office.  someone explain to me why you would play a handheld at home, if you've got a HDTV (other than in the bathroom, which I can totally understand)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 04:21:12 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on December 16, 2006, 04:05:31 PM

(other than in the bathroom, which I can totally understand)

The way my place is set up I can sit on the toilet and play video games ever since I got my big screen TV  icon_twisted

It sounds like most of the 'want it on the DS' crowd is just happy to have the series coming back to a Nintendo system.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 04:25:32 PM »

someone explain to me why you would play a handheld at home, if you've got a HDTV (other than in the bathroom, which I can totally understand)

Two reasons (and I have two HDTVs):

1) A great game is great regardless of platform.  I play MGS:PO at home on my PSP because it's a fantastic game that can only be played on the PSP. Same applies to Yoshi's Island DS, Final Fantasy 3, Daxter, Phoenix Wright, and numerous other games.  All of these games are every bit as good, if not better, than the games I play on my PS2 or 360 so I never feel the need to add "for a handheld" caveat when saying a game is good or great.

2) Portables allow me to game in the living room while spending time with my wife and daughter.  No way am I going to game on the main HDTV while my wife is awake and using my Gaming HDTV means that I'm isolated in a room above the garage away from my family. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 04:32:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 16, 2006, 04:21:12 PM

The way my place is set up I can sit on the toilet and play video games ever since I got my big screen TV  icon_twisted

haha, nice!

It sounds like most of the 'want it on the DS' crowd is just happy to have the series coming back to a Nintendo system.

that's still weird to me.  I mean DQ8 on the PS2 was great...I wonder how those people think a nintendo system can inherently make a DQ game better, lol.  the only way it would make a little sense is if they never have any hardware systems from Sony or MS, in which case I would have to call them stupid  icon_wink.  especially going back to the Gamecube era
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 04:42:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 16, 2006, 04:25:32 PM

2) Portables allow me to game in the living room while spending time with my wife and daughter.  No way am I going to game on the main HDTV while my wife is awake and using my Gaming HDTV means that I'm isolated in a room above the garage away from my family. 

I'm not married, so let me get this straight...are you saying that anytime your wife is home, you will never play games on a TV?  isn't that the vast majority of the time, or do yall have really different schedules?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 04:53:47 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on December 16, 2006, 04:42:26 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 16, 2006, 04:25:32 PM

I'm not married, so let me get this straight...are you saying that anytime your wife is home, you will never play games on a TV?  isn't that the vast majority of the time, or do yall have really different schedules?

If I only had one TV then, yes, that's how it would be since I'm not comfortable with making my wife watch TV in the bedroom just so I can play some games and my wife has absolutely zero interest in gaming.

However, I have a "playroom" just for me that has my second HDTV, computer, couch, bookshelves, etc.  So all of my game playing is done in there.  However that room is obviously segregated from the living room so time spent in there is time I'm not spending with my family.  So I generally do most of my non portable gaming either after my wife has gone to bed or when she is out shopping.  Which works well because judging by many posts, I still get more gaming than a lot of the single guys here. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 05:05:54 PM »

Looks great.  A great game is a great game for sure, but I can't help feeling that a great game would be greater across 42 inches rather than 3  icon_wink  I am saddened by that, but it does look good.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 05:32:10 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 16, 2006, 04:53:47 PM

So I generally do most of my non portable gaming either after my wife has gone to bed or when she is out shopping.  Which works well because judging by many posts, I still get more gaming than a lot of the single guys here. 

lol yeah, I was just about to say the same thing.  you still seem to play and finish a lot of games, so that's cool

Quote from: kathode
Looks great.  A great game is a great game for sure, but I can't help feeling that a great game would be greater across 42 inches rather than 3

yeah, that's all I was saying...I don't see why anyone would actually want the DS to be the first platform of choice for this instead of a home system
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 05:40:13 PM »

I'm curious why some of you seem to want it on the DS as a first choice.  gaming on a HDTV is just way better.  but then again, I never understood why a lot of people on gaming forums play their handhelds at home.  the ONLY time I play my DS (or any other handheld) is when I'm traveling or sometimes at the office.  someone explain to me why you would play a handheld at home, if you've got a HDTV (other than in the bathroom, which I can totally understand)

I play mine at home all the time (I also travel a good deal so I play there, too).  Really my handhelds are the systems I play most.  The reason I play it at home is if the wife is watching TV (which I really don't watch) and I want to game.  Also, I will do it when the wife and I get in bed and she is reading or if I just want to be in the bed while she goes to sleep (she goes to be before I do).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2006, 05:53:11 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 16, 2006, 02:34:05 PM

Just like pretty much every other genre out there; that's very true. icon_biggrin

I wouldn't want them to deviate too far from the genre conventions; if I love the way it is, why change it too much? The occasional title that makes major shifts in gameplay (Final Fantasy XII being the latest example) is great, but it's nice to have the majority of the titles stay similar at their core.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2006, 06:09:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2006, 05:40:13 PM

I play mine at home all the time (I also travel a good deal so I play there, too).  Really my handhelds are the systems I play most.  The reason I play it at home is if the wife is watching TV (which I really don't watch) and I want to game.  Also, I will do it when the wife and I get in bed and she is reading or if I just want to be in the bed while she goes to sleep (she goes to be before I do).

ok, that makes sense...I can understand that, having to share the TVs like kevin grey said as well

I guess I should rephrase the question.  why would any *single* person want to play handhelds at home if they've got an HDTV  icon_wink
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2006, 06:20:36 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on December 16, 2006, 06:09:29 PM

I guess I should rephrase the question.  why would any *single* person want to play handhelds at home if they've got an HDTV  icon_wink

As soon as they release Elite Beat Agents, New Super Mario, Meteos, Phoenix Wright, etc. for an HDTV, I'm sure someone will be sure to let you know.   icon_wink

As has already been said, a great game is a great game regardless of platform.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2006, 06:22:23 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 16, 2006, 03:54:44 PM

Except for MMOs and Oblivion I do not play RPGs anymore, so I am not going to argue with you.  I'll just say that I already knew almost exactly what that DQ9 video was going to look like before I watched it.  While the Mass Effect video totally blew me away when I watched it.  Yes Bioware sticks to the same basic formula too. I just think they camouflage it better.

To each their own.  I knew almost exactly what Oblivion was going to look like before I saw videos of it.  Same with Mass Effect.  I mean come on, they have Jedi powers in the game!  They are so tied to their KOTOR system then have force choke!  Yeah they call it something different but it plays the same.   While I will say that Bioware usually hides their formula better I don't think they did with ME.  You can travel to different planets, you have force powers, etc.  Heck I half expect a sarcastic robot talking about meatbags.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2006, 06:23:59 PM »

I'm 28 hrs into DQ8.  I don't know that I have the heart to carry on as there's approximately another 70 hrs to go.   tear

I would love to have 9 on the DS as I can play it anywhere anytime and don't have to be shackled to the TV.

Question though: Does this mean there will be no AWESOME voice acting? 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2006, 06:26:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 16, 2006, 06:20:36 PM

As soon as they release Elite Beat Agents, New Super Mario, Meteos, Phoenix Wright, etc. for an HDTV, I'm sure someone will be sure to let you know.   icon_wink

yeah, but they already did DQ8 on the PS2.  even if they stayed with the PS2 for DQ9, it'd still be a hell of a lot better than the DS.  DQ8 actually looked pretty good on my HDTV, since it had true widescreen support
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2006, 06:31:51 PM »

2) Portables allow me to game in the living room while spending time with my wife and daughter.  No way am I going to game on the main HDTV while my wife is awake and using my Gaming HDTV means that I'm isolated in a room above the garage away from my family.

I've heard quite a few people say this and I've never completely understood how being glued to a portable system in the presence of family is considered "spending time" with the family. If that's the case, why not just set up the living room to accomodate two TV's, one for the family to watch TV and one for you to do your console gaming with the sound turned low?

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving in together soon, so I've been trying to figure out a way to manage my gaming habit while co-existing with her. I suggested getting a two-bedroom apartment so that one room can be my gaming room, but the idea to her was ludicrous. However, any girl I've ever known has had a messy bedroom, I.E clothes all over the place. Personally, I'm not interested in gaming in that environment. There's also no way in hell I'm willing to do the majority of my gaming in pip-sqeak mode with graphics from 2+ generations ago. So, the only way I see this working is to have two TV's in the living room.

As far as DQ9, I concur with the side that wants it in HD.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 06:33:36 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2006, 06:43:33 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 16, 2006, 06:31:51 PM

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving in together soon, so I've been trying to figure out a way to manage my gaming habit while co-existing with her. I suggested getting a two-bedroom apartment so that one room can be my gaming room, but the idea to her was ludicrous. However, any girl I've ever known has had a messy bedroom, I.E clothes all over the place. Personally, I'm not interested in gaming in that environment. There's also no way in hell I'm willing to do the majority of my gaming in pip-sqeak mode with graphics from 2+ generations ago. So, the only way I see this working is to have two TV's in the living room.

simple, tell her to watch TV in the bedroom.  most girls I know don't have a problem with watching TV in bed, and a lot of them actually prefer to.  just set up a semi-nice TV in the bedroom, and play games on your HDTV in the living room

that's how it worked when I lived with an ex of mine for 1.5 years during my last years in college.  well I didn't have an HDTV back then, but you get the idea
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2006, 07:12:11 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 16, 2006, 06:31:51 PM

I've heard quite a few people say this and I've never completely understood how being glued to a portable system in the presence of family is considered "spending time" with the family. If that's the case, why not just set up the living room to accomodate two TV's, one for the family to watch TV and one for you to do your console gaming with the sound turned low?

I'm typically not "gllued".  My wife is usually watching TV (often something I'm not interested in like Tivo'd soaps) and my daughter is playing on the floor.  With a handheld I can pause it a moments notice if we're talking or I want to play with my daughter, etc.  Works great and is no different than one signficant other is reading a book in the same room with another (which is something else I do as well).  And I know that I just enjoy spending time in the room with the two of them and they feel the same way.  I can't say I've met any couples who spend 100% of their time together continuously interacting and talking, especially after several years of marriage. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »

If I can save pretty much anywhere (or at least a save system that makes sense in 2007 rather than DQ8s awful 1987 NES ROM save system) then it will tempt me to pick it up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2006, 07:45:55 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 16, 2006, 07:37:00 PM

If I can save pretty much anywhere (or at least a save system that makes sense in 2007 rather than DQ8s awful 1987 NES ROM save system) then it will tempt me to pick it up.

Depends on what you need the save system for but if it's just so you can stop at any time without losing progress, temp saves are pretty common on portables for that (ie save anytime and exit the game but the save will be deleted upon starting again) so I wouldn't be surprised if DQ9 had that, plus, at a minimum, the DS has sleep mode just by shutting the cover. 

Otherwise, going off of series history, I'm guessing the regular saving will stay the same as it always has. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2006, 08:03:38 PM »

"Question though: Does this mean there will be no AWESOME voice acting?"
The DS is more than capable of a good amount of voice acting, so I hope not.  I'd also rather have the next DQ on a console, but it was unlikely we were going to have a new console DQ for a few years anyway, so DQ9 on DS is pretty much just a bonus.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2006, 08:04:52 PM »

I love that trailer.  I was smiling the whole time I was watching.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2006, 08:09:43 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 16, 2006, 08:04:52 PM

I love that trailer.  I was smiling the whole time I was watching.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner, see this is what my original post was all about. Watch the trailer, if it doesn't just make you smile... I don't know, there's something very charming about it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: