http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:44:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If this is true, say goodbye to ESPN NFL 2k whatever.  (Read 3092 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2004, 03:44:56 AM »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/18/news_6098784.html

The May 3 issue of the Journal contained a story with the headline "EA set to pay Players Inc. $1 billion." According to the article, Electronic Arts is in final negotiations with Players Inc., the NFL Players' Association marketing arm, to exclusively license all NFL player rights for the next four years. The Journal set the price tag of the deal at $250 million each year, which EA would pay Players Inc.; in other words, a literal billion-dollar contract.

Given the large sums reportedly at stake, the exclusivity of the EA/NLFPA deal would be almost certainly strict. If that turns out to be the case, no non-EA Sports game could license NFL player likenesses--an almost certainly fatal blow to the Madden series' rivals.

Sega better hope that ESPN can pull some strings and keep them in this.[/quote]

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 04:01:33 AM »

Holy smokes!  I hope that this isn't the case, that'd put a serious dent into both Sega and Midway as well.  ouchies

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 04:02:41 AM »

That is one of the most shitty things I have read/heard all year.  I hope so  bad something prevents EfreakingA from doing it.  

They must realize they're losing some momentum in the football arena.

Bah!

Wake up.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 04:05:53 AM »

No, I don't think that their year over year record setting sales show them that they're losing their hold, I think that they just want to tank everyone else and guarantee atleast 10 more years of dominance...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 04:14:32 AM »

Well, not to throw too much gas on the rumor fire but this did just happen with Nascar, they own the license for a few years now.  NFL isn't a stones throw away.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 04:46:52 AM »

It's not true. At least from what this site is saying. Who knows if this guy is legit. But find it hard to believe, that the NFL Players Union would do this. First it would create a monopoly, and 2nd they would probably lose money out of it.

The Site I found this from is down at the moment, but they already confirmed that EA is not asking for a exclusive contract, they are renewing their contract to what is similar to what they have now. The article was published in ESPN Magazine, there was a misquote, and it was too late to pull it.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I then explained to her what ESPN the rag had reported and how it had caused quite a stir in the video game community. Very quickly, and I mean very quickly, she stated that "The Sports Journal" had reported that story and then pulled it. Before it was pulled ESPN ran the story to press. She said there was a misquote and that there IS NOT an exclusive deal being negotiatied at this time. She further stated the EA has the same deal in place they've had for the past 10 years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok here's the site

http://www.espnvideogames.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15984
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 05:58:03 AM »

That number doesn't make sense either.  I'm sure EA makes lots of money on the Madden franchise, but to pay $250 million a year just for a license?  Even if they made pure profit from each game, they'd have to sell 5 million copies just to break even on the cost of the license alone.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 12:26:49 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
That number doesn't make sense either.  I'm sure EA makes lots of money on the Madden franchise, but to pay $250 million a year just for a license?  Even if they made pure profit from each game, they'd have to sell 5 million copies just to break even on the cost of the license alone.

Being the ONLY game in town though changes it. And what's just around the corner? A new batch of console systems. People might not pay much for a roster update every year, but for a whole new graphics engine on a new system - that's going to sell a lot of copies slywink
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 12:32:56 PM »

Some of you may not remember but this has happened before, but only on the N64. Acclaim got exclusive NFL rights for the N64 for like 2 years, and EA couldn't use teams or anything NFL on the first Madden 64...

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 02:05:31 PM »

If this happens we can still download user created rosters...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 02:09:17 PM »

This news is most likely complete garbage, however, if it were true...

It would do nothing but hurt the genre of console football games in a big way.  Let's face it, whichever camp you fall into, EA, Sega, MS, or 989, the world of console football games continues to evolve in a dramatic fashion due to Company A pushing Company B and C to continually make better and better games.  This would all but crush sales (I would think) of any company other than EA.  Because, unless like Devil mentioned, people would download user created rosters, who would really buy other games?  Which would most likely cause other companies to simply not create football games, which would in turn cause EA to coast, as they are infamous for, let's face it.  When they are pushed however, they at least attempt to respond with a renewed vision to "one-up" their competition.  Where would that push come from if there were no competition to speak of?

Some may argue there really is no competition now anyway, as Madden sales seem to dwarf the competition.  But I would disagree.  I think EA is extremely aware of what Sega has done at the very least, and has pushed them to improve on Madden.

However, and  I MUST get this in, as I wouldn't be living up to my fanboy reputation if I didn't, Madden can't touch ESPN Football with a 10 foot pole in my book with regards to their football franchise.  And THAT would be the biggest downer if this news were to turn out to be true.

LD

edit to add:  How the hell are you up to 65 posts already anyway!   Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 02:14:22 PM »

Yeah, we can, but who's to say there'll still be a game to download them for?  ESPN's sales are already tiny compared to Madden, and it's like pulling teeth to get Madden fans to even try ESPN.  Now imagine how bad the sales will be with no NFL license.  Yes, a few of us faithful will buy it, but will it be enough for Sega to justify making another version of it?

Also, the $1 billion tag isn't so much, considering that it's $250 million per year for four years.  I'm guessing the profits from four years of monopolizing the football scene will cover that.

If this comes to pass, I will officially hate EA almost as much as Communists, and I'll seriously consider boycotting, even if that means no Burnout 3 (f*$king EA bastards.)

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 03:51:25 PM »

I would buy Burnout 3 no matter what.  It's that good.

I, the other ESPN Football fanboi,  of course concur with Lockdown on all points.

I do not however, think that EA has even improved Madden that much the past few years.

Hopefully this is all a joke.

Wake up.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 06:24:57 PM »

I would curse them and their families with hair growing in places they didn't want hair and dry itchy eyes and ingrown toe nails and wild children and huge wet snots that flow freely and unstoppably from their bulbous swollen noses and daughters who date outlaw bikers and biting blood-sucking insects of some kind that live in their arm pits and nether-regions and the only movies they could watch were remakes of popular 80s TV shows and their cars would rust and turn to dust the day after their warranties expire and they'd trip and fall and break something important like their knees or their clavicle.

But I would still buy Burnout 3.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 07:27:33 PM »

wow, after all that typing, it's still only 2 sentences
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 03:22:59 PM »

It's times like these I'm glad I'm not a sports gamer. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: