http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:43:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If someone wanted to attempt to buy a psp tomorrow?  (Read 1974 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2005, 01:49:20 AM »

Where would be the best place?  EB and Gamestop would probably be hopeless. I'm thinking Best buy?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 02:07:43 AM »

Best Buy at 8AM.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 02:09:50 AM »

I'm actually thinking someplace like Target or the equivalent - any mass-market retailer that ISN'T where the gamers go to shop.  Hell, Sears might be jumping on the launch bandwagon, and there ain't NOBODY going to try them on Day One.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 02:12:30 AM »

In order of places I'd check for a non-preorder:

Toys R Us.
Wal-Mart.
Target.
Circuit City.
Best Buy.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 02:41:19 AM »

You might check a 24-hour retailer just after midnight.  Walmart or Target if they're open 24 where you are.  Meijer stores here will have them at 12:01, but I know that you don't have them there.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 03:14:07 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Best Buy at 8AM.

Seconded.  According to Joystiq, they didn't take preorders.  Good luck.  I'm jealous, you lucky bastards.:wink:

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 03:15:30 AM »

Wal-Mart at midnight.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 03:20:12 AM »

Yeah - No pre-orders and they are even suposed to get the more units than anyplace, including EB/GS.

That's why it was my pick!

Good luck!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 03:22:04 AM »

I went into EB on tuesday and grabbed a preorder slot for launch day because someone cancelled. You might get lucky too. If not,bestbuy is opening @ 8 am like others said. When I was going to go that route, I went to BB and I believe they said they had over 200! I`m near cleveland Ohio if that helps. Not a huge city, but not as small as it get either. Hope that helps.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 03:27:50 AM »

Start camping now...   :wink:

Heh, you can probabily snag one at Best Buy if you get there at 8AM, depends if there is a long line. Best to get there an hour early and scope the place out.

I'd also try Wal-Mart at Midnight.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Flojomojo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 03:43:51 AM »

Hey Rob!

I'm in the same boat as you.  I have a DS, I like it, but since I can afford a PSP, I really want to play Lumines and Wipeout Pure.

Target is more or less on my way in to work, and they open at 8am.  I figure it can't hurt to look.  

Then there's lunchtime to head up the pike and try We B Toys, Circuit City, and Best Buy.  

The thing is $250, it's not launching with anything super sexy, there has been very little mainstream buzz (game sites and mags excluded of course), and it's the end of March.  I think I'll be able to get one without a hassle.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 05:28:49 AM »

With Sony promising 1 million units for launch I don't think it should be too hard to find for the first couple of days.  EB and GS are likely to pull their typical "no copies without a preorder" but there shouldn't be much difficulty at any of the big retailers.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 07:58:37 AM »

5 hours away from 8AM here, and I'm still undecided...argh!

I wonder if I can buy it without that Gretzky game tomorrow... that's all that they seem to be advertising though, even Wal-Mart.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 08:39:43 AM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
5 hours away from 8AM here, and I'm still undecided...argh!

I wonder if I can buy it without that Gretzky game tomorrow... that's all that they seem to be advertising though, even Wal-Mart.

Ive decided Im going to call up the gamecrazy tomorrow (usually good trade in deals) and see how much I can get for my cube, the games, and some other crap I want to get rid of before I move this summer. If I can get a total of like 150 bucks from all that stuff I might pick this PSP up. Me wants Tiger Woods portable and Death Jr!!
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 01:00:57 PM »

Ok, decided to head down after my first class to see if there's any at Future Shop or Wal-Mart.  That'll be around 11:30.  If there's none left, then it's a sign I guess.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 02:15:12 PM »

Stopped by Wal-Mart on my way to work, they had a dozen or so in the display case at 7:30am... got mine... even though I wasn't really interested yesterday.. I'm a consumer whore.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 02:26:36 PM »

Was listening to the radio on my way into work.  One of the interns there went down to Target to get one for the radio station to give away today.  He said there were only 4 people in line for the PSP when Target opened...so chances may be good for those of you who didn't pre-order.  I'm still of the camp that thinks this costs way too much and add the memory cards onto that and it gets insane. biggrin

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Flojomojo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 03:01:40 PM »

My 8am Target run worked.  There were 2 or 3 other 30-something disposable income male geeks there with me.  The staff had their "morning huddle" in Electronics to contend with the PSP launch, and it seems as if it was all planned pretty well.

Yes, it's expensive, but the package comes with a 32MB memory card, so the only other expense is games.  I'm pleased I didn't have to suck up some lame bundle to get mine.

I can't add much to the reviews that haven't already been said: feels expensive, beautiful screen, fingerprint magnet, loading times, good sound with headphones, analog nubbin is OK but not great, could probably use a hardshell case.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 03:46:06 PM »

Still haven't decided.  My biggestest stumbling block is thyat I have the use of only one hand (the other is mostly paralized) so hand held gaming tends to be more frustrating than any thing else. Also it is a sony product. I am firmly convince Sony stands for "broken in 6 months) So its tough

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 03:50:45 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Still haven't decided.  My biggestest stumbling block is thyat I have the use of only one hand (the other is mostly paralized) so hand held gaming tends to be more frustrating than any thing else. Also it is a sony product. I am firmly convince Sony stands for "broken in 6 months) So its tough

*Knock on wood* My PSX and PS2 have not gone out as of yet.  Had the PSX for many years and have had the PS2 for almost 4 1/2 years without a problem.  With my Xbox I had to upgrade the DVD drive to a better model (Philips from Thomson).

Xbox Live: AgtFox
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 05:53:53 PM »

They shipped a million of the things, so you probably won't have any trouble getting them for at least a week or so.  I'm holding off until there's a game I really want to play.  Most of the games out there now I would have to file under "rentals" at best.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 10:12:26 PM »

no trouble getting one in indianapolis as far as i can tell...stopped by Best Buy on the west side on the way home and they had about 20 on a table in the front of the store, along with all the launch titles available.  if they have that many left, i'm guessing the Target and Wal-Mart right down the road also have quite a few.  unfortunately, the fact that they have them available doesn't mean i could afford to buy one... frown

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 10:18:59 PM »

I was in Target about 2 hours ago and they had them. I just couldn't bring myself to buying it.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2005, 02:51:24 AM »

yeah, both circuit city and best buy by me had many psps left at 7pm today.  I decided not to get one until i can get a 1 gig mem card.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: