http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 03:54:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If my comp can handle CoH, will it run CoH OF?  (Read 730 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:53:15 PM »

I can run Company of Heroes alright at medium detail.  Well enough for me to really really enjoy it.  Will I be able to run Opposing Fronts as well?   

Anyone notice that their machine had no problems with the first then chugged on the second?

I do not want to play it with everything set to the lowest setting.  I would sooner never play a game then do that.   The detail in games like this is half the fun for me.

Thanks for any thoughts of your experience with it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:14:01 PM »

Opposing Fronts plays about the same as vanilla CoH for me.  The only time my computer (P4 3.2Ghz, 2Gig RAM, ATI x800) struggles a bit is when it rains.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:55:36 PM »

It is slightly more system intensive than COH, but not much-the weather effects and better lighting are probably making your system chug a bit.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 06:30:16 PM »

I could run Company of Heroes (I specifically went up to 2GB of RAM to make sure I could, in fall 2006) OK on my sloth system (AMD 64 3200+), but Opposing Fronts initial mission brought it to its knees.  crybaby I still am on the first mission in Opposing Fronts. I guess my problem is I really preferred CoH's first few smaller-scale missions that gradually introduce you to units and aren't totally fixated on base building and rushing. I got bogged down when the initial campaign went larger scale and started to feel too much like RTSs in general.

Opposing Fronts' campaign, from what I could see, starts big and massive, and it sort of disappointed me it didn't have something more like the more intimate scale early missions from the original game's campaign.

Still, when I get a new PC (definitely on my New Year's Resolution list, It's been 4 years now), this will be one of my first tests on it.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 10:04:24 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 31, 2007, 06:30:16 PM

I could run Company of Heroes (I specifically went up to 2GB of RAM to make sure I could, in fall 2006) OK on my sloth system (AMD 64 3200+), but Opposing Fronts initial mission brought it to its knees.  crybaby I still am on the first mission in Opposing Fronts. I guess my problem is I really preferred CoH's first few smaller-scale missions that gradually introduce you to units and aren't totally fixated on base building and rushing. I got bogged down when the initial campaign went larger scale and started to feel too much like RTSs in general.

Opposing Fronts' campaign, from what I could see, starts big and massive, and it sort of disappointed me it didn't have something more like the more intimate scale early missions from the original game's campaign.

Still, when I get a new PC (definitely on my New Year's Resolution list, It's been 4 years now), this will be one of my first tests on it.

I've never even tried the Opp Fronts campaign.  Skirmish only.  I lost interest in the CoH campaign about half-way through.  I already know how Overlord and Market Garden turn out.  For me CoH is all about skirmish mode.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:40:38 PM »

I have decided my machine can't run it afterall.  Yet another added to the long list of games to try some day if I ever get a new rig.

Thanks for the comments though.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:28:26 PM »

I think the steep system requirements (I can tell you X number of people who wouldn't even try the original game because they were so convinced their systems couldn't run it properly) scared off a lot of potential buyers. That and the fact it doesn't have World of Warcraft in the title.

All they had to do was call it:
"Company of World of Warcraft of Heroes" and there's 2-3 million more copies sold right there.  drool

It's weird with me though. I speak of the game glowingly but basically I played it to death for about 6 weeks in fall of 2006 and that's been about it (I briefly returned long enough to finish the Nerbelwerfers campaign mission a few months ago). I enjoyed online co-op vs. AI games and sometimes pvp games (though most of the latter deteriorated into tank rushes as if you were just playing C&C all over again), and I liked their faux-battle.net style proprietary online gaming service.

Sometimes I fall for something hard, but not long. Other times I fall for something soft, but long.

"That's what she said!"  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 09:32:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: