http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:09:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What's the Ideal Game Length For You
<10 hrs - 2 (6.3%)
11-20 hrs - 12 (37.5%)
21-30 hrs - 14 (43.8%)
31-40 hrs - 1 (3.1%)
41-60 hrs - 2 (6.3%)
61-80 hrs - 1 (3.1%)
81-100 hrs - 0 (0%)
100+ hrs - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal Game Length For You?  (Read 1169 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:10:37 AM »

Might should be in general gaming, but...

What's your ideal game length? 

Based on a comment by Kevin Grey in some thread somewhere and listening to an old 1up Yours podcast, the topic has been on my brain.

There are many variables to consider 10 hrs of genius is better than 30 hrs of crap. Additionally there's cost to time played ratio, but if you parse it down to what your schedule is, your RL commitments, etc,  overall what's your ideal length for a game.

I'll stick to what I replied to KG and go with 11-20 leaning toward the upper end of that range as a game of that length, unless I stay up late and neglect sleep, will last me weeks and weeks.  20 to 30 hr games also fit within the sweet spot. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 10:13:23 AM »

30-40 hrs for me,as some of my favourite games are by squareenix and this is usually the norm

i hate games that i wait for ages and the graphics and playability are all top notch but it lasts less than 10 hrs,that means it lasts me for a few days at the most and £50($60)isnt great for a few days

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 12:01:01 PM »

20-25 hours is perfect for me.   The only games that can hold my interest for much longer than that are good RPG's.  Even Okami, which is one of the best games I've played in years, is really starting to drag at the 25 hours mark.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 12:12:37 PM »

I went with 21-30 hours, of course there are some exceptions(good RPGs), but for the most part I like a game to move a fairly decent clip, give me about 25 hours of good time, and then be done with it. That's not to say that I don't like shorter titles, and I have enjoyed quite a few over the past few years.

I don't like reading reviews where they knock RPGs for being in the 35 to 40 hour range(ie; short). I think if a game is well written and paced out perfectly who needs a 60 to 80 hour bender? Not I, and I would certainly think that the majority of folks who play games and have a life agree.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »

Ideally 21-30 is probably good if I'm enjoying it.  I was very happy with however many hours I spent in Oblivion (80ish?), yet found that an hour was far too long in Perfect Dark Zero.

I'd rather have a 10 hour genious game though than a 30 hour game I am 'eh' on, since the 'eh' game I won't ever finish.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 12:42:19 PM »

I tend to play games for a really long time.  I have 100+ hrs in Oblivion, atleast that in BF2, around that in GRAW.  That is combined time though.   I would have to say that for a story line, I like in the 30-40 hr range.  It makes me feel like I am getting my money's worth out of the games.  $2 an hour per game is worth the money to entertain me.  I mean really, look at the cost to go to a movie for 3 hrs.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 12:45:08 PM »

Where's the "It depends" option icon_wink 

Or, more appropriately, "As long as it needs to be."  Pacing is much more important to me than the actual length.  9 hours for "Chronicles of Riddick" and "God of War" felt perfect just as 55 hours for "Xenosaga 3" did.  Meanwhile, at 40+ hours, "Okami" feels a bit too long despite being packed with content and "Tomb Raider Legend" felt a bit short not because of the number of hours but because it felt like one or two levels was missing from the latter half of the game.   

The only time length scares me away is if I don't feel like putting that sort of commitment into something right then.  I"ve got several games in my collection that are supposedly upwards of 50+ hours which I really want to play but don't feel like I could give the proper time to.  I was a little hesitant at starting up "Tales of the Abyss" (supposedly a good 60+ hours) because "Double Agent" and "Final Fantasy XII" are coming very soon but ulimately decided that TotA sounds like what I'm in the mood for and hopefully it will be good enough to delay those other titles. 
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 01:06:52 PM »

3, 6 Minute periods with an OT and a shootout if needed.

icon_smile

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 01:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2006, 12:45:08 PM

Where's the "It depends" option icon_wink 

Absolutely, it depends. On the one hand I have hundreds of hours in a little game called Chess. I have up on DQ8 at around 40 hours. I'd definitely put the limit at 30-40 hours for a *very* good game that keeps me interested. On the other hand the 3 hours I put into FFX was about 2.5 hours too much. if the game is more cutscenes (that I can't click through and still get all the story, thanks Enchanted Arms!) than game (FFX, Shadow Hearts, MGS*), then it can very quickly become too long. I'm not terribly saddened by games that last 15-20 hours when there are so many other games I want to play. When they get shorter than that and I can finish them in a weekend, I'm not very happy.

In summary, let's call 12-35 hours the sweet spot for me with a hearty side of "it depends".

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 01:53:34 PM »

20 hours, give or take.  After that I start losing interest.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 02:12:29 PM »

Quote from: JLu on October 16, 2006, 12:30:13 PM

I'd rather have a 10 hour genious game though than a 30 hour game I am 'eh' on, since the 'eh' game I won't ever finish.

Agreed. Ultimately (as already said) it depends on the quality and type of game. I'd rather have a genius ICO or Shadow of the Colossus (relatively short but very sweet game) verses titles that drag things on just to drag things on.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 02:42:16 PM »

Put me down as another 'depends'.  15-20 hours is perfect for a FPS while 30+ is perfect for an RPG and 10-15 for games like Tomb Raider or Max Payne.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
siege

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 02:46:15 PM »

21-30 is perfect. Not too long that even the most enjoyable game gets stale and not too short that you are left wanting more.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 03:50:46 PM »

10 -15 hours for a non-RPG
30 - 35 hours for RPGs

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 08:35:59 PM »

I don't have a preference to be honest. I think unless the story is absolutely riveting like in Baldur's Gate II then nothing justifies north of 40+ hours. Considering in the Final Fantasy series that at least a third of that time is spent power leveling then you recognize some of these games add bulk to pad their running time versus adding story. Compare that to the five to seven hours it would take you to burn through Max Payne 2. Short? Yes. Absolutely fantastic start to finish (expecting the daffy dream sequences)? Oh hell yes. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is my favorite game of the PS2 generation and I can play through it start to finish in a day if I really press myself. For me it's all about the story being told, and whether it's fascinating or not.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 10:59:15 PM »

Most games I'll be happy with 15-20 hours, but I like RPGs to last around 40.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 03:25:43 PM »

For the most part, 11-20 hours is the sweet spot for me anymore. Multiplayer stuff is irrelevant, as that will get played like crazy.  For particularly awesome games, longer is better, since I will stick with a game if it's a truly incredible experience (Dragon Quest 8, for example, ran me 100 hours, which took most of my gaming time over the course of three months).

For the average game, though, roughly 20 hours is just about perfect; that'll run me about 3-4 weeks in most cases.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 03:33:15 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 16, 2006, 08:35:59 PM

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is my favorite game of the PS2 generation and I can play through it start to finish in a day if I really press myself. For me it's all about the story being told, and whether it's fascinating or not.

Ditto for me.  Heck, one of my all-time favorite games is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.  A lot of people fail to realize just how short that game is.  I played clear through it once while I was in high school, took me around 7 hours.  I just wanted to beat it without dying or continuing so I could have that impressive "000" next to my save file after finishing.  icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 09:44:59 PM »

It totally depends on the game. For FPS SP, I like about 15-20 hours (unless its HL2 quality then I want 50). For RTS, I want 20-30 hours. For RPG, I will accept 30 as the bare minimum and would like to get 50 out of most titles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: