http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:45:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ID's new cell phone game: Orcs & Elves  (Read 558 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2006, 08:57:11 PM »

I picked up the Doom RPG for my cell phone a while back and absolutely loved it.  Saw an ad yesterday for Id's new RPG, 'Orcs & Elves', so I downloaded it on my new Verizion 'Chocolate' phone.  In short:  Id has managed to knock it out of the part again.  If you enjoyed the Doom RPG, or are a fan of old-school first person RPG's, you need to pick this up.  The level of detail and sheer fun they pack into such a small package is amazing.  Fantastic graphics (considering the medium), an entertaining story, and a challenging & fun combat system make this the perfect game for playing in short spurts.  Both of these games have gotten much more playtime than I would ever have expected for an $8 game.  The only drawback is that O&E is almost exactly the same as Doom, but with a fantasy coat of paint.  This isn't a bad thing, but if you burned out on Doom, be warned that O&E is MOTS.

On a side-note, I'm surprised they haven't ported these games over to any of the handheld systems.  I would kill for something similar to 'Orcs & Elves' on the DS.  They obviously aren't limited by the graphics, as this game is a blast even on crappy cell phone res.  Seems to me that it could easily be ported over to a handheld system without having to recreate the wheel.  A straight up first person dungeon crawler with decent graphics and a good story would be a very welcome addition to the DS library.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 09:05:06 PM »

I'm annoyed that they haven't ported these games to a Smartphone (doesn't matter if it's on the Palm or Pocket PC line) yet. And/or figured out how to get a Smartphone to play these games in the first place. I would pick up stuff like this (and the Elder Scrolls phone game) up in an instant if I could.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:06:31 PM »

I've got Orcs & Elves on my phone, but haven't played it very much... I'm currently near the end of Doom RPG though
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:06:21 AM »

I don't even own a cell phone, but if the games get good enough..  paranoid

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 03:44:33 AM »

Still not available on my LG VX8000.  Annoying.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: