http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:14:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icewind dale complete  (Read 1365 times)
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »

Over at GOG...   
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 03:02:53 PM »

woohoo!  another game goes on the netbook.

now give us BG2!  *Fist Shaking*

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 03:04:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 06, 2010, 03:02:53 PM

Yea I just bought it using the gamingtrend link.

Problem is I just started bg1 last week.   And I just read the last page of "the crystal shard" last night...

ugh ugh..
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:11:16 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on October 06, 2010, 03:04:13 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 06, 2010, 03:02:53 PM

Yea I just bought it using the gamingtrend link.

Problem is I just started bg1 last week.   And I just read the last page of "the crystal shard" last night...

ugh ugh..

heh, I have that entire series as well - thats the best lowgrade litterature I own :-D

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »

Awesome, that's the one I've been waiting for!   thumbsup thumbsup

EDIT:  Crap, I thought IWD Complete included IWD2.  That's the one I really want...I beat the original IWD a couple times, but never did get through 2.  Hopefully it's coming as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:18:12 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:18:17 PM »

I am now officially swamped in gaming bliss...

Castlevania, bg1, civ 5, and now this...   And Ceekay over here bucking for bg2 to come out lol..

Oh well, I will download it when I get home and roll up my party, maybe kill a few mobs..  hah
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »

all of my Forgotten Realms books got lost in a move.  I think I had all of them up to Prince of Lies.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 06, 2010, 03:15:05 PM

Awesome, that's the one I've been waiting for!   thumbsup thumbsup

EDIT:  Crap, I thought IWD Complete included IWD2.  That's the one I really want...I beat the original IWD a couple times, but never did get through 2.  Hopefully it's coming as well.

I beat 1 but never played 2.  But its got 2 expansions with it that I never played, plus I cant remember shit about it.  I got the old man fog brain when it comes to games, theyre all sort of running together.  

I know the ones I played and finished..

But, uhmm, I cant remember shit on the details...   Only thing I remember about these was killing a black dragon in bg2..  and maybe something with a vampire wizard?

Hell I dont know, makes playing them again seem like new I guess.   Too many digital dragons have died to my mouse/keyboard skillz...
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 03:37:24 PM »

Icewind Dale II is the only Infinity Engine game I've never played.  I followed its development intensely: all the new races and sub-classes they were stuffing in, and then its unexpected and relatively-late transition from 2nd Edition to the brand new 3rd Edition ruleset...the PlanetBaldursGate website combed through the Interplay boards every day to repost information from the developers, and I was soooo excited to play it.

Then the game was released and the special Collector's Edition I'd ordered direct from the Interplay store didn't ship...and didn't ship...and didn't ship...so I finally called up their support line to find out what the holdup was.  It turned out Interplay had devoted 100% of their CE stock to filling Electronic Boutique's preorders, leaving them unable to fill their own.  More were being assembled, but instead of the release day arrival I'd paid for, the estimated arrival time was now 10 - 14 days after release.

Instead, I canceled my CE preorder, walked into the nearest Electronic's Boutique, and bought the regular edition with a bonus preorder box that had all the CE goodies inside, minus the the cool ice-blue dice.  And then...I just never played it.  I've still got the whole package, sitting unopened on my shelf.  I guess the whole debacle just sort of soured the experience, and I just didn't realize it until after I'd made the purchase.

Maybe someday.

-Autistic Angel
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 06, 2010, 03:37:24 PM

Icewind Dale II is the only Infinity Engine game I've never played.  I followed its development intensely: all the new races and sub-classes they were stuffing in, and then its unexpected and relatively-late transition from 2nd Edition to the brand new 3rd Edition ruleset...the PlanetBaldursGate website combed through the Interplay boards every day to repost information from the developers, and I was soooo excited to play it.

Then the game was released and the special Collector's Edition I'd ordered direct from the Interplay store didn't ship...and didn't ship...and didn't ship...so I finally called up their support line to find out what the holdup was.  It turned out Interplay had devoted 100% of their CE stock to filling Electronic Boutique's preorders, leaving them unable to fill their own.  More were being assembled, but instead of the release day arrival I'd paid for, the estimated arrival time was now 10 - 14 days after release.

Instead, I canceled my CE preorder, walked into the nearest Electronic's Boutique, and bought the regular edition with a bonus preorder box that had all the CE goodies inside, minus the the cool ice-blue dice.  And then...I just never played it.  I've still got the whole package, sitting unopened on my shelf.  I guess the whole debacle just sort of soured the experience, and I just didn't realize it until after I'd made the purchase.

Maybe someday.

-Autistic Angel

I cannot remember why I never played any icewind dale expansions nor Icewind dale 2.  Because I loved the first one.

I was probably addicted to a mud or eq1 at the time.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on October 06, 2010, 03:22:06 PM

I beat 1 but never played 2.  But its got 2 expansions with it that I never played, plus I cant remember shit about it.  I got the old man fog brain when it comes to games, theyre all sort of running together.  

Yeah: Heart of Winter was an expansion pack released in stores, and when there was a fan backlash against its relatively meager content*, Black Isle released a free expansion called Trials of Luremaster for download through the internet.  Man, they were a classy developer!  Today, Bioware sells "Holiday Prank Pack" content for actual money. disgust

-Autistic Angel

*Heart of Winter actually included tons of retroactive changes to the base campaign, including scores of new spells, abilities, magical items, new races, bags for organizing scrolls and gems, and the ability to play in the princely resolution of 800x600.  Personally, I thought it was a great expansion even before Trials of the Luremaster, but I guess fans were expecting more new campaign content.  YMMV.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »

I haven't gotten any games from GOG before.  Are there any compatibility struggles with these things, or has GOG cnofirmed they work with Vista and Win7?  I'd like to try Icewind out, I skipped over it back ni the day as I knew it didn't have the party interactions of BG2.  Does it have a higher res mod out there?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »

I have a bunch of games from GOG, and the only one I've ever had trouble with is Giants:  Citizen Kabuto.  It kept locking up on me for some reason...never could figure out why.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 06, 2010, 03:57:47 PM

Yeah: Heart of Winter was an expansion pack released in stores, and when there was a fan backlash against its relatively meager content*, Black Isle released a free expansion called Trials of Luremaster for download through the internet.  Man, they were a classy developer!  Today, Bioware sells "Holiday Prank Pack" content for actual money. disgust

Dragon Age easily contains twice the content of Icewind Dale, and yet it was the same price on release, despite being released ten years later and having probably several times the development cost.  Bioware could have included half the content and still sold the game for the same price and sold just as many copies.  How is that not classy?  I can see being upset about paid DLC for a 10 hour game, but when they include 100 hours of content out of the box, I don't understand how people can complain about the DLC.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 06, 2010, 07:48:40 PM

Dragon Age easily contains twice the content of Icewind Dale, and yet it was the same price on release, despite being released ten years later and having probably several times the development cost.  Bioware could have included half the content and still sold the game for the same price and sold just as many copies.  How is that not classy?  I can see being upset about paid DLC for a 10 hour game, but when they include 100 hours of content out of the box, I don't understand how people can complain about the DLC.

My only problem with DLC is the DLC that was obviously developed with the game and then pulled at the last minute to sell as an add-on instead.  Normal DLC is great and I look forward to it.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:00:22 PM »

Dragon Age, as a stand-alone product, is a phenomenal game and I loved it from start to finish.  Bioware put a tremendous amount of care into crafting the world and its history, the combat system, the economy, and the characters with all their different builds and interactions.  It's a great game!

The DLC is another story.  I've had my say about this already, but the non-"Stone Prisoner" mini-expansions I tried came off like hurried, unconsidered, poorly executed cash-ins.  As much as I loved Dragon Age, Bioware's decision to celebrate its success by pumping out a stream of flimsy knock-offs has only cheapened the brand.  All they're missing is an episode in which Leiliana gets really, really stoned and puts lyrics to the main theme song and they could package the whole set as the gaming equivalent of the Star Wars Christmas Special.

-Autistic Angel
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 10:38:33 PM »

Wish my DSL was faster.    2 hr and 23 minutes.   OF course, got two TV's running netflix.

I need to get my balls out and shut the family down on my bandwith when I am downloading something important. 

Like a video game.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 11:24:35 PM »

It's been forever since I played Icewind, but I don't remember it feeling that short. I thought Dragon Age was a pretty short game myself... how could you ever have 100 hours? Unless you're including replays.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 11:44:20 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on October 06, 2010, 11:24:35 PM

It's been forever since I played Icewind, but I don't remember it feeling that short. I thought Dragon Age was a pretty short game myself... how could you ever have 100 hours? Unless you're including replays.

I had just shy of 80 hours on my first DA playthrough, and haven't touched any of the DLC that's come out after its release.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 06, 2010, 10:00:22 PM

The DLC is another story.  I've had my say about this already, but the non-"Stone Prisoner" mini-expansions I tried came off like hurried, unconsidered, poorly executed cash-ins.  As much as I loved Dragon Age, Bioware's decision to celebrate its success by pumping out a stream of flimsy knock-offs has only cheapened the brand.  All they're missing is an episode in which Leiliana gets really, really stoned and puts lyrics to the main theme song and they could package the whole set as the gaming equivalent of the Star Wars Christmas Special.

-Autistic Angel

For me, I just look at what's in the box.  I only pay attention to DLC if it gets particularly good reviews, like Overlord or Lair of The Shadow Broker for Mass Effect 2.  I'd rather have a ton of content out of the box and ignore the DLC than to have a shorter game and better DLC (free or otherwise).

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 03:04:56 AM »

Wow, I think I was less than 35 hours in my playthrough of DA...
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »

Back on subject  icon_twisted

I loved IWD.  It was probably my favorite game of that era and I actually liked playing it more than BG2 or Planescape.  I think BG2 was the better game and I put a lot more hours into BG2 than IWD but I would pick IWD over the two.  I really miss that era of games though...all around that same period I was playing Fallout, BG2, IWD, Planescape, Might and Magics and so many others that put most of today's games to shame.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »

My download finished last night.  I played till 1 AM.  ugh

(Well, spent allot of time trying to get that big STR: 18(00) on my fighters.)

But yea, I like IWD.  It "looks better" then BG1.   Also, no need to go around yapping with everyone.   It didnt take me long once I got my party rolled up to start killing.

Also, there is a config.exe in the folder that will let you turn up that resolution.   I had it at max (1200xsomeshit) and while it did well, the guys were so small my old eyes couldnt make it out.  Turned it back to 800x600 and set the options to high and it filled the screen nicely.

So, 10 bucks well spent imo. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on October 07, 2010, 12:32:51 PM

Also, there is a config.exe in the folder that will let you turn up that resolution.   I had it at max (1200xsomeshit) and while it did well, the guys were so small my old eyes couldnt make it out.  Turned it back to 800x600 and set the options to high and it filled the screen nicely.

that's the problem with older games- the higher res you make them the smaller things get.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 02:20:22 PM »

Yea, after getting bg1 to work with the widescreen mod etc., i reverted it back.   It doesnt do me anygood if it looks better if theyre so small i cannot see them.   slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »

Icewidn Dale 2 is up Morgul.  GOG said they're just going to go ahead and take the money out of your account  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: