http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 12:12:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IBM: Sony Hard-Asses on Backwards Compatiblity  (Read 891 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2006, 01:56:51 PM »

Sony is very concerned about quality and backward compatibility. They want to get this right. They tested game after game after game. When there were about 40 Playstation 1 games that didn't work properly, that didn't pass their criteria for quality.

Source:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/ibm-sony-hardasses-on-backwards-compat-186332.php

Sounds good to me..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 02:33:59 PM »

Wrong forum...

that said, for those who want BC, cool, personally I don't care about BC and instead see that this is a contributing factor for having to pay out the ass if I want to buy a PS3.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 02:41:46 PM »

Moreso than having to pay for a Blu-ray player?  I'm guessing the % of the price for BC is pretty minute compared to Blu-ray.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 06:01:39 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Moreso than having to pay for a Blu-ray player?  I'm guessing the % of the price for BC is pretty minute compared to Blu-ray.

If IBM had to do multiple revisions of the processor to get BC to be up to Sony's standard it is certainly contributing to the cost.  Is it the main factor... no, that is why I said it was a contributing factor, not the factor.  I would guess it also has caused sony to have to alter the Blu-Ray drive for the PS3 since the Blu-Ray drives from my understanding by default can't read CD's.  This means a multiple laser solution again like the PS2, which is what led to a metric ton of "broken" PS2's that could no longer read DVD's or CD's depending on which laser ended up out of alignment.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 06:30:04 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I would guess it also has caused sony to have to alter the Blu-Ray drive for the PS3 since the Blu-Ray drives from my understanding by default can't read CD's.  This means a multiple laser solution again like the PS2, which is what led to a metric ton of "broken" PS2's that could no longer read DVD's or CD's depending on which laser ended up out of alignment.

After the multiple laser solution of the PS2, I'm worried about the failure rate of the PS3 once you add in yet another laser.

I mean, it can't be worse than the PS2, right? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 06:41:29 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
I would guess it also has caused sony to have to alter the Blu-Ray drive for the PS3 since the Blu-Ray drives from my understanding by default can't read CD's.  This means a multiple laser solution again like the PS2, which is what led to a metric ton of "broken" PS2's that could no longer read DVD's or CD's depending on which laser ended up out of alignment.

After the multiple laser solution of the PS2, I'm worried about the failure rate of the PS3 once you add in yet another laser.

I mean, it can't be worse than the PS2, right? biggrin

After doing some research, Blu-Ray players can read CD's..... thanks to the inclusion of a multi-laser tech.  This has to be done because the laser wavelengths are different for CD/DVD/Blu Ray.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 05:32:27 AM »

i think there would only be the early final fantasy games,that i would really be interested in on ps1 now...what else is there?..hmm,silent hill 1 maybe

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 06:17:20 AM »

The only thing (beyond Castlevania: SotN) that I revisit the PS1 for are old RPG's.  A lot of classics on the system.

There are only a handful of non-RPG titles that I can stomach reliving on the PS2.  Primitive 3D on the PS1 was bad.  Reeeally bad.  Sure it was awesome then, but we've come a loooooong way.  Of course there are plenty of bad 3D titles on the PS2, but still.

2D sprites will never die!
Well, Sony wishes they would (and tries their damndest to make sure it does), but we will never forget.  NEVER FORGET!

SEGA SATURN!
Ice Cube says so, that's why.

i'm going to explode

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 08:35:05 AM »

Wrong forum...

Are you sure you're in the right forum? This is console-related news, posted in the console forum.

There's only about 5 PS1 games I'm interested in BC for (I never even had a PS1 prior to getting a PS2) but on the PS2 end, there's at least 35 games I'm looking forward to bringing to the next generation with me.

Even after the PS3 launches, there's still going to be plenty of PS2 games being released, and IMO, it's good to know those same games can be played on your new system as well.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 10:17:33 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Wrong forum...

Are you sure you're in the right forum? This is console-related news, posted in the console forum.

There's only about 5 PS1 games I'm interested in BC for (I never even had a PS1 prior to getting a PS2) but on the PS2 end, there's at least 35 games I'm looking forward to bringing to the next generation with me.

Even after the PS3 launches, there's still going to be plenty of PS2 games being released, and IMO, it's good to know those same games can be played on your new system as well.

Actually the thread was cleverly moved, as you originally posted this in the PC Gaming forum.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 11:30:20 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Wrong forum...

Actually the thread was cleverly moved, as you originally posted this in the PC Gaming forum.

What can I say?  I'm a stealth thread mover...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: