http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 02:41:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want the Nintendo DS to fail  (Read 3603 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2004, 03:49:40 PM »

I know it may be mean but I am hoping the DS is a huge flop.  I only feel this way because I see a ton of potential still left in the GBA and I think that developers will jump on the bandwagon if the DS becomes popular.

I am also completly unimpressed with the show case of stuff on the DS.  For one thing I hate on-line/wireless gaming.  I am 30 something and my friends don't own handhelds so I am not going to be using any of those capabilities.  

And other than the wireless stuff the DS has squat.  None of the games shown so far use the dual screens in a way that really seems groud breaking.  Metroid - wow you can see the map at the same time!!!! Wow....having to hit "select" to bring up the map all these years has been such a drain...err.  

I really think the GBA has a lot of life left in it and I hate to see new stuff push it out of the way just because it is new.  Look at the screens for Final Fantasy, or Kingdom Hearts.  They are great!  There is not technological reason to upgrade from the graphics standpoint.  It feels to me like Nintendo just wants a new cash source - after all while they have sold millions of GBAs they are not making as much money on them once they are bought.  

Of course, maybe I am just being unwilling to change.  I love my GBA SP and I don't want to have to buy a new machine when this one works great.

Al
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 03:59:50 PM »

I just haven't seen any games for the DS that makes me think that I have to get it and I'm still skeptical about the stylus interface. The PSP, on the other hand has Tiger Woods, GT4 and possibly even Viewtiful Joe. Unless it's outrageously priced, that's what I'll be getting.

Random Bookmark: something positive
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 04:10:11 PM »

I'd be all over the DS if it wasn't twice the size of the SP.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 04:39:21 PM »

Anyone smell whispers of Sega?

Just Hiro will do.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 05:09:48 PM »

I don't care either way but it bothers me that it doesn't play the old GB/GBC games.  I still have a lot of them and still play them when the urge hits.  I'm also very happy with the size of the SP and the fact it looks like a adult PDA instead of a kid's gaming system (I had a flight attendent ask if I wanted a glass of milk when she saw me playing on the old GBA I had.)  I would still by a DS though if I could get $100 for my SP...I can't so I doubt I'll get the DS.
Ramoz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 05:32:13 PM »

Viewtiful Joe will be on the DS although I'm not sure about the PSP.

I've always wanted my gba sp to be able to play games over the net, and the DS is capable of that.   I'd get one if nothing else than to play advance wars over the net with friends.

Truthfully Nintendo stated before they didn't expect everyone to buy the thing, so you just wanting it to fail is kind of selfish.  Do you really think they're going to stop support of the sp because of the ds?  If the ds isn't the next gameboy as Nintendo has stated again and again, the sp has nothing at all to worry about support wise.  On the contrary, you might even see more GBA games because they'll work on both the SP and the DS.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 05:44:52 PM »

I'm not really wishing failure on it, I just have no interest in the thing. I've just become really disillusioned with Nintendo as a company. I just feel that they are out of touch with the gaming industry. Maybe I'm wrong, and gamers really DON'T want good graphics or envelope-pushing technology.

Sony has the best chance of knocking the GameBoy off its golden throne, and I'd really like to see Nintendo get some competition. Lack of competition is what allowed Nintendo to give us non-backlit GameBoys for years.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 05:50:26 PM »

Personally, I don't want to see the DS fail. Once again Nintendo shows off innovation, and I'd like to see it succeed. It's a pretty interesting idea, having a console with dual screens.

Of course, the last console they released with two screens (the Virtual Boy) failed like nobody's business... smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 05:57:51 PM »

Quote from: "Ramoz"

Truthfully Nintendo stated before they didn't expect everyone to buy the thing, so you just wanting it to fail is kind of selfish.  Do you really think they're going to stop support of the sp because of the ds?  If the ds isn't the next gameboy as Nintendo has stated again and again, the sp has nothing at all to worry about support wise.  On the contrary, you might even see more GBA games because they'll work on both the SP and the DS.

Of course it is selfish!  smile  

And yes I think if the DS is a hit that there will be less and less development on the GBA.  I think that is the way of things.  

Did you see more PSX games because they could also play on the PS2?  I mean come on.  If the DS sells strongly more and more developers will more to it (at least I think they will)

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 06:00:43 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Personally, I don't want to see the DS fail. Once again Nintendo shows off innovation, and I'd like to see it succeed. It's a pretty interesting idea, having a console with dual screens.

Of course, the last console they released with two screens (the Virtual Boy) failed like nobody's business... smile

I will believe it when I see a game which really seems inovative and really uses the two screens.

I don't see having the map always open as an inovative use, and I haven't seen much about how games like Mario 64 DS, or Llinks will use the second screen.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 06:09:12 PM »

I"m one of those people that bought two Gameboys and never used them. Do I feel ripped off? No. It was my choice to buy the product; a product that millions enjoy yet I do not.

I used to be the biggest NIntendo fanboy and now I am just not interested in any of their games or consoles. That might change when Nintendo releases it's next console, but I am not holding my breath.

The one thing I am looking forward to is the PS3 because it will be using an HD storage device. That will stimulate the market to switch over to Hi-Def DVD storage and allow us the consumers to get the most out of our HDTV's and finally get our money's worth.

I guess the next big question would be: Will Xbox 2 take advantage of Hi-Def storage devices or will MS stick with standard DVD?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 06:46:10 PM »

Quote from: "Al"
Unless it's outrageously priced, that's what I'll be getting.

How about $299? Cuz that's how much the PSP will cost you.

$149.99 for the DS if anyone's wondering.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 06:49:40 PM »

"I only feel this way because I see a ton of potential still left in the GBA and I think that developers will jump on the bandwagon if the DS becomes popular."

It looks like that's already happened.  There are a few big releases left, like Kingdom Hearts and the new Zelda, but I think the GBA's going to be pretty much dead after this year as far as new releases go.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 07:06:29 PM »

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 07:41:42 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"

Actually, I believe the PSP will retail for $350 in the US.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 07:48:53 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"I only feel this way because I see a ton of potential still left in the GBA and I think that developers will jump on the bandwagon if the DS becomes popular."

It looks like that's already happened.  There are a few big releases left, like Kingdom Hearts and the new Zelda, but I think the GBA's going to be pretty much dead after this year as far as new releases go.

Don't remind me!!!!  I am starting to think that Zelda may be the last hurrah for the GBA (well at least as far as RPGs go which is of course the only important genre smile )

wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 07:58:14 PM »

IIRC one of the "games" for the DS that uses the stylus/touchscreen devices are some virtual pets. The example they gave was playing/tickling the pets with the stylus. A tamogatchi type thing I guess.
Other than that I'm a bit hard pressed to think of any actual games they have planned that'll use these new fangled devices.

How does this work again?
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 08:45:28 PM »

Quote from: "wankerjr"
IIRC one of the "games" for the DS that uses the stylus/touchscreen devices are some virtual pets. The example they gave was playing/tickling the pets with the stylus. A tamogatchi type thing I guess.
Other than that I'm a bit hard pressed to think of any actual games they have planned that'll use these new fangled devices.

Actually most of the DS games revealed so far make use of the stylus. For example in Metroid Prime it's used like a mouse for looking around and aiming (d-pad to move forwards/backwards and side strafe, left trigger to shoot).  In Tiger Woods the stylus is used for doing swings of the club (I think?), in Mario 64 the stylus is used for analogue control, in other games the stylus is used for camera controls... Now I'm skeptical as to how well it will work for these things, but I've heard some very good impressions from people at the Nintendo trade show over the weekend.

Oh, and the wireless is the main thing that interests me with the DS. I love the fact that you can play multiplayer games with only a single copy of the game, that's how it should be!  Now I can play 8 player Mario Kart DS without all my friends needing a copy.

There are a bunch of games coming it out for it that I'm looking forward to: Metroid Prime, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Advanced Wars DS, Animal Crossing, Madden 2005, Tiger Woods 2005, Viewtiful Joe, Final Fantasy III, Goldeneye, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, WarioWare DS etc.  Of course I won't buy the system unless the games turn out to be good, and I'll probably hold off to see what the Sony PSP is like too.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 09:39:19 PM »

I hate you, Farley.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 03:17:07 AM »

Quote from: "Elenkis"

Actually most of the DS games revealed so far make use of the stylus. For example in Metroid Prime it's used like a mouse for looking around and aiming (d-pad to move forwards/backwards and side strafe, left trigger to shoot).  In Tiger Woods the stylus is used for doing swings of the club (I think?), in Mario 64 the stylus is used for analogue control, in other games the stylus is used for camera controls... Now I'm skeptical as to how well it will work for these things, but I've heard some very good impressions from people at the Nintendo trade show over the weekend

And a number of people posting impressions have said that it is hard to hold the DS with your left hand and push on the screen with the stylus in your right so they end up putting it on a table.  Sorry but I don't want my "handheld" to need to be set down.  I want to be able to sit on the toilet and play a quick game smile  and I certainly don't want to have to fish a stylus out of....well you get the idea.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 03:18:22 AM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
I hate you, Farley.

Well if Nintendo has its way we can someday meet like two samuri at the laundry mat and duel...wait that is the Ngage.... Tongue

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 03:19:43 AM »

Well don't buy it and wait out for GBA 2, because it's coming...

I do think that the Ridge Racer game was sweet because you can use the touchscreen to steer... that's the best use I've seen so far.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 03:20:28 AM »

I don't want it to fail, but I probably won't pick one up until way later.  Same goes for the PSP.  I've still got tons of GBA playing time left, so I'm in no hurry.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 05:42:27 PM »

I dont care if it fails or not.  I like the concept of the GBA, but honestly I havent played it much.  I loved Fire Emblem and Advanced Wars was ok, but I never finished either.  The portability aspect is nice, but its just not something I use.

Like the original poster, a lot of the selling points of the DS are stuff I would never use.  Going further, the two screen and stylus thing seems gimmicky.  I like the PSP concept better, one screen done well.

I dont see myself getting a DS unless there is a game I just have to play on it.  The PSP...same deal, maybe even more of a stretch buy.  $300-350?  Insane.

olaf
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 07:30:07 PM »

I want it to succeed so that it'll drive down the PSP price quicker.
Otherwise, I have no interest in the DS.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2004, 08:12:32 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Quote from: "Raven VII"

Actually, I believe the PSP will retail for $350 in the US.

$350?  Damn.  One more reason NOT to get a PSP.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 08:34:40 PM »

The $350 amount is still unconfirmed.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 09:20:17 PM »

I recall seeing a magazine scan in Evil Avatar that addressed the price issues on the PSP a while back; there was a $350 package, but that included a 256MB memory stick, extra software, and a GPS reciever (go figure), plus all the little neat addons you would expect with a high-end package deal.

There was an intro price that was significantly easier on the wallet, though I forget what it was.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 11:42:00 PM »

The PSP price has been rumored to be anywhere from $200 to $500.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 11:50:13 PM »

Or in layman's terms "halfway reasonable to way freaking overpriced"

Sony needs to get more Battery Time out of the machine to make it feasable for gaming. I love what I saw but right now Nintendo seems to have the upper hand with the DS.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2004, 07:02:03 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Elenkis"

Actually most of the DS games revealed so far make use of the stylus. For example in Metroid Prime it's used like a mouse for looking around and aiming (d-pad to move forwards/backwards and side strafe, left trigger to shoot).  In Tiger Woods the stylus is used for doing swings of the club (I think?), in Mario 64 the stylus is used for analogue control, in other games the stylus is used for camera controls... Now I'm skeptical as to how well it will work for these things, but I've heard some very good impressions from people at the Nintendo trade show over the weekend

And a number of people posting impressions have said that it is hard to hold the DS with your left hand and push on the screen with the stylus in your right so they end up putting it on a table.  Sorry but I don't want my "handheld" to need to be set down.  I want to be able to sit on the toilet and play a quick game smile  and I certainly don't want to have to fish a stylus out of....well you get the idea.

Hey, that makes me think of something. I'm lefthanded. My natural reflex would be to keep the stylus in my left hand. That would make it hard for me to use the DS though, so I'll probably have to relearn which hand to use? Umm...no biggrin

HELLO!
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2004, 07:52:02 AM »

I wouldn't buy a DS over a GBA SP.  I love the size and feel of the SP and I feel that the DS is a step back in that department.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2004, 01:53:38 PM »

Just to give you all a heads up, if you actually go and find out more about the machine you'd see that you can configure how to play most games. Most of them have about 4 different ways to use the DS, in terms of Left Handed, Right Handed, Stylus and No Stylus...

I'm with you on that I think it'd be hard to use the stylus and hold it in my hand at the same time, but A: You're not forced to use the stylus and B: there is no B, I lost my train of thought after reading my email...

Eitherway, I still don't think that  your GBA will die as Nintendo is pretty hell bent on supporting both machines.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2004, 02:14:01 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Eitherway, I still don't think that  your GBA will die as Nintendo is pretty hell bent on supporting both machines.

Remember though - the DS will support all GBA single player (NO multiplayer) games based on what I know.

Personally, I think companies will support both portable GBA consoles. There's too much money (and too many people) involved not to.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2004, 03:47:18 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

I'm with you on that I think it'd be hard to use the stylus and hold it in my hand at the same time, but A: You're not forced to use the stylus and B: there is no B, I lost my train of thought after reading my email...

Not to mention that you can use your thumbs on the touch screen as well.  I was watching some videos of a person playing Mario and Spiderman 2 and they weren't using the Stylus at all, but merely touching the screen with thumbs.

I am not sure why there is so much lack of enthusiasm for this device.  I have mine pre-ordered and I just can't wait to get my hands on it in a month or so.  I have watched some great videos showing various games using the touchpad technology and I really think it adds a ton to the games and I can't wait to see what ideas companies come up with (in addition to the great ones they already have) to utilize the two screens and touch pad.  I know on launch, I will be getting Mario, The Urbz, Madden 2005, and Spiderman 2 and those are all from watching videos from Nintendo's Gaming Summit.  I am sure if I saw some videos of the other launch titles, I might be persuaded to pick those up as well, should they show the innovation I have seen in the titles I mentioned.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: