http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 02:19:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want my...I want my...I want my M:tG  (Read 11509 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2009, 10:59:30 PM »

you can play overrun when it won't win if it will be advantageous.  Look for opportunities where it forces a move for your opponent that you otherwise wouldn't have.  making them block things they wouldn't, making them not block things they would, etc.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2009, 02:57:32 PM »

Is anyone having a problem redeeming the code that comes with the game? In spite of the fact that I've entered it correctly on the website, it tells me it is "invalid". WTF?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2009, 03:28:01 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 21, 2009, 02:57:32 PM

Is anyone having a problem redeeming the code that comes with the game? In spite of the fact that I've entered it correctly on the website, it tells me it is "invalid". WTF?

I just redeemed mine about 30 minutes ago with no issues.  By the way, digging the game.  I've always wanted to play the game, but always get overwhelmed with deck customization.  Since they don't really have that in this game, it is nice to be able to play, but not have to worry about that aspect.  I played MTGO a bit here and there, but just get overwhelmed by people who have crazy decks.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »

I was hesitant, but after reading that it's somewhat n00b friendly, I may just break down and pick this up.  I've always been intrigued by the concept of Magic, but a) was quite intimidated by the deck customization factor, b) wasn't interested in making any sort of financial investment, and c) felt it was one of those geeky boundaries I just wasn't ready to cross.  Games with CCG mechanics are hit and miss with me, but when they do click (i.e. Baten Kaitos, Etherlords), I tend to really enjoy them.  For $10, this one is probably worth a shot.

I'm sure I'll be back with a million questions later.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »

The Wizards site doesn't like my code either. frown

Liking the game so far. A couple of implementations are a little screwy, like regeneration abilities.

This is my first time playing Magic with electronic media. I've collected the cards on and off since Antiquities, but haven't played much lately, so having it on Live is great if I only have a short time for a couple games.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 21, 2009, 03:28:01 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 21, 2009, 02:57:32 PM

I just redeemed mine about 30 minutes ago with no issues.  By the way, digging the game.  I've always wanted to play the game, but always get overwhelmed with deck customization.  Since they don't really have that in this game, it is nice to be able to play, but not have to worry about that aspect.  I played MTGO a bit here and there, but just get overwhelmed by people who have crazy decks.

Still no go with mine, sent an email to support. BTW, my experience pretty much matches yours Grue - played casually umpty years ago with friends, usually at work at lunch. But after the endless stream of expansions, the hunt for rare cards, having no real desire to go all crazy with desk building and running afoul of the isane collector/tweaker types I dropped it. I'm enjoying getting back into it with this version but was reminded of the olden days when I had no clue what a "fattie" (or some of the other terminology being slung around here) was, so went googling. Found blogs by Mike Rosewater like this one which, while interesting, started to give me the heebie-jeebies when he started into the whole "psychographic profiles" thing with Timmy, Johnny and Spike.  icon_lol

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »

I wonder if some are just bad codes I just entered mine no problem.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2009, 06:16:31 PM »

I entered mine with no problems as well.  Just remember the gamer tag (and code entry?) are case sensitive.  Seems to be a lot of people with issues though.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2009, 06:22:56 PM »

Glad I tried the demo before dropping the $10.  That just didn't click with me at all.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2009, 07:38:50 PM »

I just had an epic match in the campaign against the second white deck using the mono blue deck.  The computer had 3 of the artifacts that give +1 life whenever anyone plays a white spell.  Apparently even if the spell is countered they still get the life do to the card text saying "plays" instead of "casts."  That caught me off guard.  The match lasted over an hour and we both had tons of big flyers on the board.  I must have done 50 points of damage over the course of the game but the computer outlasted me due to those 3 life givers. The match ended up being decided by the white flyer that gains protection from a color of the caster's choice when being cast.  Otherwise I think I could have pulled it out.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2009, 12:16:49 AM »

I just finished the challenges and the campaign but it's only showing 51% complete how do I get to 100 are there more cards to unlock"?

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2009, 12:54:21 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on June 22, 2009, 12:16:49 AM

I just finished the challenges and the campaign but it's only showing 51% complete how do I get to 100 are there more cards to unlock"?

There are 17 cards to unlock for each deck.  Every time you win with a deck, you get a new card for it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2009, 01:00:05 AM »

Ok that makes sense thx.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2009, 02:21:36 AM »

Are the decks you get in the campaign all the decks available in the game, or are there other ways to unlock more?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2009, 03:09:09 AM »

Just the unlockable 8 decks are available.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2009, 02:38:06 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 22, 2009, 03:09:09 AM

Just the unlockable 8 decks are available.

I finished the campaign last night, but it looks like there should be two more decks that I can unlock. I haven't finished the challenges though. I keep reading that they are easy, but I'm stuck on the third one.  retard

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2009, 03:11:08 PM »

I'll pipe in as well as someone who has never played Magic or any serious CCG, this is one of the best Live games I have played.  I'd pay full price for a similar game if they expanded on it e.g. add deck building, story based campaign etc.  The artwork sort of reminded me of Disciples (can we get Disciples on Live!).

I've finished the campaign on default difficulty, clearing up the Challenges next.  So what changes when you raise the AI level to Planeswalker?  Is it just AI that is affected or do they get better cards or something?  I hadn't really noticed the default AI make too many mistakes but that maybe because I'm a noob.  Except this one time he played his 1/1 against my Skeleton with regen which seemed stupid.

I'll probably try multiplayer soon, so does it matter which deck I use in MP or are they pretty much equally powerful?  e.g. is the Green deck you start out with as good as the last deck you unlock?  As for deck building, it seem that you can only choose not to include the cards you unlocked.  Is that the extent of it?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »

I rank the black/green deck best for me follower by the two 3 color decks for sheer power reasons. 

Overall all of the decks are competitive with each other though and they each have enough 'bad' cards to allow luck to play a big enough role.

also fyi, if you finish the campaign, you've unlocked all the decks you can.

I'd like to get together for a group casual game 3 or 4 player because those types of environments tend to make it feel more casual for me and allow me to overlook the horrid deck customization more.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »

As for difficulty levels, I read on Magicthegathering.com that the AI will play a little better, also on the easy and medium difficulties the decks are stacked, so the better cards get shuffled to the bottom.  This is the article I was talking about.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2009, 04:21:16 PM »

The game is exactly what I was expecting.  It's hampered in complete awesomeness by the lack of deck building (or really any meaningful deck modification at all) but that's almost a relief at this point.  I don't know if I have the time to get sucked into the whole MTG experience again.

I'll definitely buy DLC for it with new decks and such.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:55:35 PM by Bob » Logged
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2009, 04:31:38 PM »

I tried multiplayer last night and did better than I expected. I was surprised at how hard it was to find a match though. It seemed the host would drop out of the game most of the time, but I did get 4 games in. I ended up winning two games pretty easily, and lost the other two. The first one I lost I think I just got screwed. I couldn't get enough land out to play the creatures in my hand, and I couldn't draw any of the lower cost creatures, so that one didn't go well. The last game I played I was doing very well. I was using the green/black deck and had a couple of elfs out. The other guy only had one creature out that wasn't an elf, so I played an artifact that gives creatures +1/+1 for every common creature type. I was knocking him down every turn and had him down to around 5 points left. Then he played a card that allowed him to play a 2/2 wolf for every forest land he had, which was six. So now he has six 2/2 wolves out, and with my artifact they all became 8/8.  icon_eek

Yeah, I lost that one the next turn.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »

Quote from: Bob on June 22, 2009, 04:21:16 PM

I'll definitely by DLC for it with new decks and such.

Yeah, I think they can make a good deal of money by offering new decks.  Will definitely buy some as well.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »

Yeah, I was skeptical of the way they handled this game but after breaking down and buying it yesterday I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.  They focused the experience down a bit more than I would have liked, but this is a great way to breathe new life into the game and make it more accessible for newcomers.  I can see myself buying any DLC expansions the day they're released.

Quote from: Cragmyre on June 22, 2009, 03:58:34 PM

As for difficulty levels, I read on Magicthegathering.com that the AI will play a little better, also on the easy and medium difficulties the decks are stacked, so the better cards get shuffled to the bottom.  This is the article I was talking about.
So does that mean at the highest difficulty the AI just plays the best it can without any deck stacking for advantage or disadvantage?

Kind of funny, though, that on the deck-stacked easier difficulties you can end up making things harder for yourself using spells like the blue card that makes the AI repeatedly discard the top two cards of the deck--it would just end up helping the AI get to the strong cards faster.

Quote from: Harkonis on June 22, 2009, 03:25:06 PM

I'd like to get together for a group casual game 3 or 4 player because those types of environments tend to make it feel more casual for me and allow me to overlook the horrid deck customization more.

I'd love to try a 3-4 player match.  If anyone's available tonight I'll probably be playing between around 5:30-7:30 Eastern.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2009, 04:42:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 22, 2009, 04:35:38 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on June 22, 2009, 03:25:06 PM

I'd love to try a 3-4 player match.  If anyone's available tonight I'll probably be playing between around 5:30-7:30 Eastern.

That's pretty much the exact time frame I will be on as well. If you see me on send me an invite and you can all laugh at my noob mistakes.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »

That article doesn't mention but it seems highly possible then that the good cards are shuffled near the top for the highest difficulty?
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2009, 05:58:27 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 22, 2009, 05:48:42 PM

That article doesn't mention but it seems highly possible then that the good cards are shuffled near the top for the highest difficulty?

Interesting if so. it would basically mean you are always playing against the AI's best case deck scenario. While you are at the mercy of shuffling.

I'd like to hear about the AI from the devs.  I'm curious how much of the AI is generic and how much is deck specific, I especially curious if the AI is aware of both it's deck and yours and has specific paths for which deck it's playing against.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:00:55 PM by Bob » Logged
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2009, 06:11:33 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 22, 2009, 05:48:42 PM

No - that isn't true. Otherwise, you'd see the green deck play Loxodon Warhammer every single game the second time around.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »

hardest difficulty just shuffles as a normal game.

that blue card that mills is pretty useless in this particular version of the game since people aren't playing 60 card decks slywink
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2009, 02:00:25 AM »

The game is officially kicking my ass but I am getting better.  There is a lot more to it than I expected and I really need to (un)learn some things...like being able to play more than one enhancement on the same attacking card in the same turn.  Lots of fun though...wonder if there is an achievement for losing x matches smile
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2009, 04:39:21 AM »

There is a new article on Magicthegathering.com Here that is a good read, and it links to other articles about the AI and engine.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2009, 05:16:38 AM »

Anyone have a tip for getting +30 hp achievement?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 23, 2009, 05:16:38 AM

Play green in a 4 player game with the +1hp/green spell cast artifacts in your deck?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »

My guess would be to use the white deck. There are a lot of cards that give you health, and if you get the right draws I think it would be fairly easy to do.

I had a good run in the ranked multiplayer matches this morning. I won my first 4 matches easily using the green/black deck, and then got put into a 4 player match. I stuck with the green/black deck, and the other three players were all mono colored decks. One white, one black, and one blue. The white deck was having trouble getting cards out. They played that stupid moth card that gives them 4 health whenever they block, and that was it for most of the match. The black and blue players had decent cards out in front of them, but didn't know how to use them. I ended up taking the black deck out, and the white deck (which finally put out a knight with 2/1 first strike) took out the blue deck which only had 3 points left. I thought I was going to steamroll through the white player, as he just had those two cards, while I had four 1/1 cards, two 2/3 cards, and one 3/3 card out. Unfortunately, he started getting more land, and was able to get a couple more flyers out. If I could have gotten the right cards off the draw, I would have easily won...except I must have gotten 10 land in a row! I went from 5 lands on the board to at least 15 with one more still in my hand. I only got two 1/1 creatures from my library the entire time where it was just me versus the white deck, and the rest were all land. I was able to knock him down slightly, but in the end he won.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2009, 01:31:59 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on June 23, 2009, 04:39:21 AM

There is a new article on Magicthegathering.com Here that is a good read, and it links to other articles about the AI and engine.

I had heard that they added land to the decks as you unlocked cards, but I wasn't sure if that was true or not. But from that article, it looks like it's true.

The eight preconstructed decks are roughly balanced against each other (much like any of the Duel Decks). As you unlock cards for each deck, you choose which ones to add. They don't replace cards in the deck; the game adds lands as you add cards to keep a good ratio of lands to spells.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2009, 01:41:34 PM »

I did it with the blue deck and stuck the four kraken's eyes in against the computer, against the white deck. Stabilized at ~ 14 life, and then took board control and only attacked with Thieving Magpies until after I got the achievement.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »

You just need 30hp total right?  You don't need to gain 30 points?  I think I got that achievement without trying after using the +8hp blue spell and a couple turns with the kraken eye.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2009, 01:49:18 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on June 23, 2009, 04:39:21 AM

Great info.  Thanks for linking this.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2009, 01:51:58 PM »

Has anyone tried local xbox co-op two headed giant against the computer?

Seems like you have to have a second account and replay single player to unlock the secondary deck you want - doesn't seem like my unlocked decks carry over. Anyone got a trick for getting around that?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2009, 01:55:28 PM »

I got the 30 health achievement with the white deck.  It did seem pretty easy, but I guess there's a luck factor.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2009, 01:56:17 PM »

There was an update this morning for the game...of course it's been running fine for days until the update where it hung up the xbox my third hand.  Might want to avoid the update for a while if possible.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: