http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 08:10:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want my...I want my...I want my M:tG  (Read 11511 times)
godhugh
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2009, 03:55:30 AM »

I really enjoyed the few hours I spent with it today. My impressions pretty much mirror rittchard's. If you want to just be able to turn on a game and play some Magic, it's absolutely perfect for that. The interface is fantastic, it looks great, and the pre-built decks I've tried so far work well. In addition, the AI can be pretty sneaky and challenging after you get past the first few battles. If you get more enjoyment from building decks then playing, then this won't be for you, otherwise I'd suggest picking it up.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2009, 04:04:12 AM »

Gets harder as you move down and the AIs have better cards than you smile. But I'm on the 10th person now I think in the campaign.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2009, 04:26:04 AM »

Quote from: godhugh on June 19, 2009, 03:55:30 AM

In addition, the AI can be pretty sneaky and challenging after you get past the first few battles.

I can't get past the second one!!

I made some dumb mistakes on my second go-round, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2009, 05:44:05 AM »

I just sunk about five hours into the game.  eek

The interface - As someone who doesn't need to know the rules, it was quite easy to jump into and start playing. The pause menu is decent, and things make a logical amount of sense. There's certain corners of the game where they've glossed over the rules (and it shows) - such as not being able to cast a spell during the upkeep phase, or during the end phase. And that's fine. None of the cards in the game seem to really require you to respond at those times. It didn't come up in any of the games I've played.

The decks - So, yeah - this is magic with "precons". Magic 'lite' if it were. For $10, it's still a pretty damn good deal. It allows new players to play a comfortable game of magic, while keeping the playing field level when you go up against someone who knows the ins and outs. While I'd love to be able to go in and purge the decks of all their garbage (wall of wood!) it's comforting to know that the playing field is pretty level. The cards you do unlock do seem sometimes to be a good deal more powerful than the base level decks, but I haven't investigated too deeply into everything you get yet. There's eight decks, which isn't all that substantial an amount, but you can bet there's going to be more coming down the pipeline in add-ons for this. A more substantial look into the balance between the decks is still warranted - but right now they seem a little bit off to me.

As for the eight decks, the first five, mono-color decks, all seem to sport cards from Tenth edition exclusively. There are a few you pick up that aren't in tenth (the rack):

Green - fatties, fatties and more fatties. With an extra helping of pump spells thrown in. Mono green is a great 'beginner' point, and with hits like Troll Ascetic and Molimo, Maro Sorcerer, and boosts like Branchwood Armor, this deck is more than enough to beat anything else there is. Notable piece of crap card: Wall of Wood (0/3 defender for G)

Red - the first deck you play against. It's a standard burn deck - has a few more tricks. It's nowhere near as powerful as the Green deck feels. Basic strategy is to rush in with as much damage as possible with critters early, then use your spells to finish it off. Notable piece of crap card: Goblin Sky Raider (1/2 flying for 2R)

White - I hate white decks. Straight up life gain is the worst mechanic in magic - and this deck is swimming with terrible life gain cards. (2W for a 2/2 that nets you two life - that same two life you lost last turn when green hit you with a grizzly bear that you didn't have this guy out to block; 4W for a 3/3 that nets you 3 life) The mechanic means you're just delaying your inevitable loss. Not to mention Holy Strength. +1/+2. In black you get power, in white, toughness. Ugh. It does have a decent number of first strikers and glorious anthem is your route to victory. It's alright I guess. Just not my magic playstyle. Still give it a chance. Notable piece of crap cards: Goldenglow Moth / Holy Strength.

Black - It's your standard discard deck. Megrims, Racks, and for some reason Underworld Dreams. A couple decent sized fatties to seal the deal. Nothing really notably bad within the deck.

Blue - I think at the core of it, every hardcore magic player just enjoys being the blue mage. Drawing cards, countering your opponents spells, bouncing creatures. There's more decisions to be made in this game when playing the blue deck than with any other deck in the game. So of course, immediately upon unlocking it, I went to town playing as the blue mage. Notable piece of crap cards: Memory Erosion. (The deck is not built to mill players, and this is the only mill card in the deck and there's only one. I can't imagine there ever being a time where it's going to be relevant)

Black/Green Elves - This is essentially a lorwyn block deck. I didn't play as it yet, but the deck is solid.

Ajani Goldmane - Red/White/Green - Cards mostly come from Shards Block (the most recent block in magic). This deck is the deck by which all five single color decks are made to look like utter garbage. No really. There are eight mana fixers, so you never have trouble with your mana. Turn three you play a 5/4 for WGR. Turn six you play a 5/5 vigilance haste for 4WR.

Sarkhan Vol - Green/Red/Black - Another Shards block. I didn't see much of it so I'm not prepared to comment at this time.

Tezzeret blue/black artifacts - is this deck unlockable? It has bottle gnomes!!!

My Experience - Upon starting, I played the tutorial to get a feel for the controls. The tutorial does not like it when I try to play by my playstyle (IE: Playing a land before combat so as to signify a trick). It's a tutorial, who cares.

I jumped into the 'puzzles' pretty fast. Hoping these would be a good time to get a feel for the rules, and let my brain that hasn't played magic in about a year to get a good refresher on anything I may have forgotten (hint: I haven't). The puzzles are pretty basic - with only the last one presenting a decent level of tricky. No spoilers, but if you're stuck, PM me and I can help. It was a little disappointing, because there's only eight of them. I think an entire game could just be made out of magic puzzles, so I wish there were more.

And then I jumped into the main game. Immediately I jumped the AI up to planeswalker level, hoping that it would be reasonably intelligent. It wasn't bad. I was a little worried with a lot of the negativity I was reading so I was lowering my expectations. My expectations were exceeded by the game. I'm slinging spells, laughing at the opponent's mistakes, winning most, losing some, and just in general having a good time. The interface is so slick, and the gameplay just feels solid. It's a blast to play and a very good time.

I did say the AI wasn't bad, but it is a bit buffelheaded. In general, the computer has no concept of card information. What I mean by this is - never ever play the last land in your hand when its your only card in hand (unless there's a decent reason to do so). Basic magic 101. You know it's a land, but your opponent has no idea. It's essentially telegraphing that hey, it's okay to come attack me, because I ain't got any secrets. The computer also seems to have a major problem in not casting spells. If you have only one creature in play, just because you drew overrun, doesn't mean you really should cast overrun. There's no need to giant growth your critter twice to squeeze in six extra damage (grizzly bear attacking, I had Wall of Swords with first strike and I chose not to block because he was signalling that he had the growths with the attack, and I had unsummon in hand but no open mana) ... putting me to twelve, and him now with no way to deal with the wall of swords. Yeah, I won that game.

A few other blunders I noticed: my computer opponent had just cast Troll Ascetic, and had a Green mana open. He had giant growth in hand, but then again - so did I. I attacked with my grizzly bear, and he blocked. No regeneration mana open. He let a powerful, untargetable regenerator trade for a grizzly bear. Also, along the lines of the AI not being able to stop casting spells. Who TERRORs a cloud sprite? TWICE. Seriously. On turn two, why would you boomerang my cloud sprite?

And the most basic of basic strategy: The phases go main phase 1. Combat. Main Phase 2. During main phase 1, do not cast spells that do not affect combat. Non-hasty creatures, for example. All you are doing is tying up your mana, removing one more card from your hand, and reduces the number of possible tricks you can play.

Of course, if you're newer to magic, you won't really have a problem with this, because it makes up for the mistakes you may be making.

Overall, online is where it's at with this title. And the online is sweet. I only played three matches as I was playing through the single player campaign first. Everyone I played against seemed to have a great general understanding of the game (as in, they've played before). I won the first game playing my blue deck against a green deck that couldn't get going. Won the second game despite only drawing three lands (wall of swords; Phantom Monster; Phantom monster = five turn clock + defense; plenty of counters. And a deluge. What a great card. All blue needs is three lands!)  And won the third game against an opponent playing the sarkran vol deck (because my opponent mulliganed to five). Apparently that deck has a 1/1 swampwalker for B (which is garbage).

Get this game if you presently play magic and need a fix; get it if you are a fan of strategy titles and want to learn magic; Hell, get it because it's just $10 and it's a damn fine game. Highly recommended!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2009, 07:24:38 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on June 18, 2009, 09:06:17 PM

So...I dueled Hark this morning, and thanks to some lucky draws (*hug giant growth*), I was able to fend off a pretty nasty BG Elf deck....so I figured, okay cool, that's it...

...but then I go edit my deck, and I've somehow got a legendary green, Multi MARO....did I get the card for dueling a player, or in single player and somehow miss one of the most powerful greens in history?

beating a human seems to unlock cards just like beating the cpu, but only if the bastard doesn't quit before you get the rewards screen. slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2009, 07:45:17 AM »

sky, there is a local coop campaign that works pretty well, but I don't know that there is a local vs.  kinda disappointing that the local coop isn't available online.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2009, 07:54:25 AM »

I've always loved the art in the MTG cards, and this game shows it off beautifully.  The full-screen splash screens are especially awesome.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »

Signs you may be in too deep with MtG - You use phrases like this:

Quote from: DragonFyre on June 19, 2009, 05:44:05 AM

Who TERRORs a cloud sprite? TWICE. Seriously.

icon_biggrin

Seriously, though, DF, GREAT write-up.  And there was a lot of info there that was very helpful for newbies like me.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »

I played through the first 5 decks in the campaign and one online match.  I agree with DragonFyre's assessment of the AI.  It is solid but not very good at the subtleties of the game.  To me the easiest deck to win with consistently is the first red deck you unlock, especially after you get the Shivan Dragon as a finisher.  Although the black deck with Underworld Dreams (??!!) looks interesting.

Well worth $10 in my opinion. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »

I liked the DF write-up too, but I am pretty clueless with some of the terminology.  You gotta take it easy on some of us noobs!  For example, what's a fattie, a pump spell, a burn deck and a lorwyn block deck?

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on June 19, 2009, 12:27:32 PM

I liked the DF write-up too, but I am pretty clueless with some of the terminology.  You gotta take it easy on some of us noobs!  For example, what's a fattie, a pump spell, a burn deck and a lorwyn block deck?

fattie :  Large creature with no abilities other than high attack and toughness.  Green is the color for these.  A good example is the 5/4 Craw Worm.  It doesn't do anthing except be a 5/4.

pump spell, :  A spell that can be enhanced by "pumping" mana into it.  An example would be the red spell where you can give a creature +X attack where X= the amount of mana you add to the casting cost.  A Shivan Dragon is a "pumpable" creature because it has this ability built right in.

burn deck :  Is a deck with alot of direct damage spells like Incinerare (R1 - do 3 damage to target creature or player......)  Playing against burn decks can be tough because if you are down to 5 life or less you can die very quickly even if you have a solid creature defense out, due to your opponent damaging you directly with just spells.

lorwyn block deck - A deck comprised of a certain "block" of card sets.  Every year or so Wizards releases one main set and a few expansions which all kind of revolve around a certain theme.  I am not sure on this, but I believe the most recent block focused on multicolor cards, which can be very powerful if you are able to get them into play.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:43:32 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2009, 12:49:10 PM »

I'm starting to get the hang of it after playing several rounds. Earlier I asked about how/when to block, and I think it was passing me over because I just didn't have any creatures capable of blocking (say, anything with reach to block a flyer). After a few more rounds, I think I understand it more.

DF, sent you a PM re: the foil card if you're still interested.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »

I played the campaign for a few hours last night - I was stuck for a while playing against the white deck the second time around. I was just playing green since that's what they start you with. Once I switched to the blue deck I blew through the next 3 or 4 opponents without much of a challenge... blue control feel sooo slimy to me. I hate playing against them. It is a special challenge for me because they require patience (holding cards back) and I'm not patient.

It's kind of interesting to read DFs criticism of the AI because it sounds like he is criticising me. Apparently my friends and I were never very good back in the day. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »

I think it's well worth 10 bucks.  Hopefully the plan is to build on this base game with more decks, puzzles and eventually the ability to build decks.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2009, 02:51:55 PM »

Absolutely agree on the value for $10.

I'm betting the deck building comes with a $60 game or perhaps another XBLA game that introduces microtransactions (packs of cards?). They are just introducing the gameplay engine here and it's a very solid gameplay engine IMO. I really need to get my headset out and play this online (or maybe without the headset, I'd be more mysterious!)

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2009, 02:57:24 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 19, 2009, 02:51:55 PM

I really need to get my headset out and play this online (or maybe without the headset, I'd be more mysterious!)

I played a match against a guy named xWeKillChildrenx last night.  The only things he said were "F You!!" when I shocked one of his creatures and "You are garbage dude!!!" when I cheesed him with a Lava Axe to seal a 20-0 win. 

Yeah.  No more headset for me in this game. smile

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2009, 02:57:48 PM »

I realized I forgot to go into the much derided deck construction feature of the game.

Your base deck is sixty cards. You cannot remove any of the cards, like I said before. So you're stuck with that damn wall of wood in your green deck forever. Thankfully, the cards you pick up later, you can remove some of them from your deck. Also, the game does appear to automatically add lands, so you're not stuck playing a 24 land 75 card deck. This is good.

The reason that magic strategy dictates that you play a tight sixty card deck (and not 61, 62, or 75) is because you want to be sure to draw your bombs - frequently and often. However, in this game, the decks only have a handful of bombs right out of the starting gate. After your first win, you pick up a bomb for your deck, which you'll want to include regardless. The second card that you win, at least for the mono-color decks, always seems to be of the 'lucky charms' variety. That's this kind of crap:

- which was created to replace a much worse cycle of them that was in the core set since alpha -

Now, you never want these cards in your deck. They're really bad. Even in a mono-blue mirror match, including the Kraken's Eye decreases your quantity/ratio of decent spells. That's because they have no effect of the board state of the game - If you're losing and you draw one, it does nothing for you. If you're winning and have one in play, it does nothing to further you towards winning. I played one game against a white deck that drew THREE of theirs. Certainly didn't help them any. You'd much rather draw that Mahomati Djinn (4UU, 5/6 flyer) in these games. Of course, I don't think it makes sense at this point to NOT include your good non-situational cards that you pick up because they are in fact quite powerful to draw. While this diminishes your chances of drawing them because there's more in the deck, if you're playing the mono-green deck, it also diminishes your chances of drawing wall of wood (G, 0/3 defender).

Also, pay close attention to color-specific cards you receive for your deck. I once accidentally left flashfreeze in my deck and it became a dead card. I played against an AI opponent who had Luminescense (W, instant, prevent all damage black and red sources would deal this turn) in deck (and hand) and just wasted it because it recognized it as useless.  

PS - Can you tell I don't like wall of wood?

PPS - for those who don't know the text version of mana symbols - this harkens back to the olden days of the internet. W - white, U - Blue, B - Black, R - Red, G - Green. Any number associated with that is non-color specific mana.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:20:24 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 19, 2009, 07:45:17 AM

sky, there is a local coop campaign that works pretty well, but I don't know that there is a local vs.  kinda disappointing that the local coop isn't available online.

Cool, I couldn't resist for 800 points.

So since deck building is out, how much would you say luck plays to winning a game?  I lost my second match but I didn't reshuffle the starting cards.  I don't think there is anything I could have done differently to win that match with the cards dealt.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »

As a guy who, thankfully for my bank balance, quit Magic just after Legends, I'm having a great time with this.  The controls give you ample time to make decisions, and the ability to zoom in on any card and get extra help with any of the card characteristics also eases my transition back in.  The high-res art does look phenomenal.  I do hope they add more challenges, as it only took 30 minutes to go through all 8 of them - they're nice little brainteasers, and they use a couple of advanced techniques that novice players will benefit from.

DragonFyre's totally right about the necessity of keeping tournament decks small - back in the beginning of the card game, my friends and I would construct these elaborate decks with, y'know, a hundred-plus cards, which gives you basically no chance of teasing a coherent strategy out of it.  Of course, we also played with the ante rules where you'd actually lose a card to your opponent if you lost the game, which did inspire a certain amount of buffering.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 19, 2009, 02:59:43 PM

So since deck building is out, how much would you say luck plays to winning a game?  I lost my second match but I didn't reshuffle the starting cards.  I don't think there is anything I could have done differently to win that match with the cards dealt.

Luck of the draw (literally in this case) is a significant factor. A significantly better player can make up for a bad hand with sharp play, but luck can absolutely play a hand (snicker) in helping a less skilled player defeat a better player.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2009, 03:53:06 PM »

sadly with the crappy decks they give and the odd mana balance luck is a bigger factor than in finely tuned decks imo.

Most of the games I've lost I've been seriously mana screwed or mana flooded which doesn't happen to me much when I played the paper version since I design decks to minimize this.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2009, 04:17:25 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 19, 2009, 03:53:06 PM

sadly with the crappy decks they give and the odd mana balance luck is a bigger factor than in finely tuned decks imo.

Most of the games I've lost I've been seriously mana screwed or mana flooded which doesn't happen to me much when I played the paper version since I design decks to minimize this.

I think even with finely tuned decks at least 30% of the games are decided by one of the players not getting enough, or the right color, mana.  That being said, if you stay with one of the mono colored decks the odds of getting severly mana screwed are pretty slim, especialy with the mulligan rule.

If one was just limited to the 10th edition basic set I don't think the red and black mono decks would be that terrible in a tournament with just slight modification.  The red deck in particular runs fine on 4 mana and if a multicolored deck stalls just a bit getting going they could be dead in 5 turns pretty easily, especially without a sideboard.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:41:03 PM by denoginizer » Logged

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »

I will say that I'm glad they included the image of the xbox controller on each card's midsection...I was horribly afraid I'd get these mixed up with any of the ones I bought in real life.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2009, 05:22:28 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 19, 2009, 12:39:35 PM

Quote from: Mithridates on June 19, 2009, 12:27:32 PM

fattie :  Large creature with no abilities other than high attack and toughness.  Green is the color for these.  A good example is the 5/4 Craw Worm.  It doesn't do anthing except be a 5/4.

pump spell, :  A spell that can be enhanced by "pumping" mana into it.  An example would be the red spell where you can give a creature +X attack where X= the amount of mana you add to the casting cost.  A Shivan Dragon is a "pumpable" creature because it has this ability built right in.

burn deck :  Is a deck with alot of direct damage spells like Incinerare (R1 - do 3 damage to target creature or player......)  Playing against burn decks can be tough because if you are down to 5 life or less you can die very quickly even if you have a solid creature defense out, due to your opponent damaging you directly with just spells.

lorwyn block deck - A deck comprised of a certain "block" of card sets.  Every year or so Wizards releases one main set and a few expansions which all kind of revolve around a certain theme.  I am not sure on this, but I believe the most recent block focused on multicolor cards, which can be very powerful if you are able to get them into play.

Thanks for the info!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2009, 05:38:56 PM »

I'm in the party that says they left deck construction out for two reasons:

1.  It keeps the new players in the game for multiplay.  by having some fixed decks with only minor adjustments, there are only a few surprises that can be played on you.  This will help in keeping the lowest tier of players in and playing.

2.  It keeps the overall programming of the game simple.  By personal experience, really well designed decks used systems that probably were not intended by the card creators, and even may depend on specific interpretations of the rules (which two players may have different views on). 

I'm okay with either speculation.  Either way, we get a CCG on Live, and for this I am happy.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2009, 05:44:03 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2009, 05:14:14 PM

I will say that I'm glad they included the image of the xbox controller on each card's midsection...I was horribly afraid I'd get these mixed up with any of the ones I bought in real life.

Heh I was wondering what that's for.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2009, 06:09:39 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 19, 2009, 05:44:03 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2009, 05:14:14 PM

Heh I was wondering what that's for.

It'll be good for future expansions they release. Being able to realize that card X is from the base game, card Y is from expansion 1, and card Z is from expansion 2 at a glance when playing online (so you know which expansion(s) you need) will come in handy smile

1.  It keeps the new players in the game for multiplay.  by having some fixed decks with only minor adjustments, there are only a few surprises that can be played on you.  This will help in keeping the lowest tier of players in and playing.

If anyone can put together any deck they want for multi-play, more of the card pool quickly reaches a point where it's just irrelevant. You'd never see anyone play over 50% of the cards in the game. When your opponent is playing mediocre cards and you've got knowledge of how to play, and a better deck, you've probably already won. If you're a new player, with a new deck, and not nearly as much knowledge of the game - there are going to be optimal decks created with the card pool available, and they are going to consistently blow out the decks played by players with less knowledge of the game. And quite quickly, you're no longer going to want to play the game because it's been made un-fun. No one wants to play against the guy in multiplayer who's deck consists of almost nothing but rares and powerful uncommons/commons.

Magic is more fun when you have a level playing field, and while some decks seem to be more powerful than others in this game, they're not drastically different in power level. Each deck has some key cards you want to be sure to save removal for. So having knowledge of the decks does empower the superior player, but the game never feels like it's going to blow you out repeatedly by one deck being drastically worse than another. Each deck has at worst a 40/60 ratio against all other decks in the field.

There's going to be times where you just randomly lose to a bomb card in the green deck. (Overrun is ridiculously powerful) Allowing people to build their own is just encouraging that min/max style of play. They're clearly not targetting that audience with this game.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2009, 06:21:10 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on June 19, 2009, 06:09:39 PM

If anyone can put together any deck they want for multi-play, more of the card pool quickly reaches a point where it's just irrelevant. You'd never see anyone play over 50% of the cards in the game. When your opponent is playing mediocre cards and you've got knowledge of how to play, and a better deck, you've probably already won. If you're a new player, with a new deck, and not nearly as much knowledge of the game - there are going to be optimal decks created with the card pool available, and they are going to consistently blow out the decks played by players with less knowledge of the game.

Good points.  I think given the relatively small card pool available in the XBLA game, if complete deck building freedom was available you would quickly see 3 or 4 decks dominate.  And people would play those decks 90% of time.  I'd like to see maybe 5 out of the 60 card slots available to be changed.  But I am ok with what the game gives us at the moment.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2009, 10:25:31 PM »

I've been playing against the White deck in the campaign, on the easiest AI level, and still keep losing.  I think I had a good chance to win once but I made 1 or 2 mistakes and it was not forgiving, again, even at easiest AI.  I'm not saying I'm a pro or anything but I've played enough matches to do OK.  The White AI just infuriates me with its abundance of fliers, and units that heal when played.  Grrr.  I think I had a better shot at winning with the Red deck, any suggestions?

I do wish they'd at least allow you to delete cards out of the deck, there are some I just don't want to appear at all and it's just a waste.  Also seems like they are overloaded with land, but that could just be a luck thing.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 19, 2009, 10:25:31 PM

I've been playing against the White deck in the campaign, on the easiest AI level, and still keep losing.  I think I had a good chance to win once but I made 1 or 2 mistakes and it was not forgiving, again, even at easiest AI.  I'm not saying I'm a pro or anything but I've played enough matches to do OK.  The White AI just infuriates me with its abundance of fliers, and units that heal when played.  Grrr.  I think I had a better shot at winning with the Red deck, any suggestions?

I do wish they'd at least allow you to delete cards out of the deck, there are some I just don't want to appear at all and it's just a waste.  Also seems like they are overloaded with land, but that could just be a luck thing.

I finally beat her with the red deck.  Easiest setting for me, too.  That match-up seems like you're destined to get a bunch of bad breaks between her fliers and ability to keep piling the health on.

The guys you can tap to directly attack her in the red deck helped me a lot when I finally beat her.  It helped that she couldn't play anything for the first couple of turns.

Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »

Well worth the $10 even if it's limited.  About 8 players into the campaign and haven't lost yet against the Plainswalker AI.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2009, 12:16:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 19, 2009, 10:35:16 PM

Quote from: rittchard on June 19, 2009, 10:25:31 PM

I finally beat her with the red deck.  Easiest setting for me, too.  That match-up seems like you're destined to get a bunch of bad breaks between her fliers and ability to keep piling the health on.

The guys you can tap to directly attack her in the red deck helped me a lot when I finally beat her.  It helped that she couldn't play anything for the first couple of turns.

I also ended up beating her with the red deck the first time. I think the second time I faced her I ended up beating her with the blue deck, but I got lucky and was able to counter all of her spells, and she barely had any land and had zero creatures to attack with. I'm on the default setting, I have no idea what difficulty that is.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2009, 01:58:33 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 20, 2009, 12:16:08 PM

I'm on the default setting, I have no idea what difficulty that is.

Pretty sure default  is one from the highest.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2009, 02:13:33 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 20, 2009, 01:58:33 PM

Cool, I feel better then, after losing to Garruk Wildspeaker about 6 straight times. I did finally manage to beat him with a white deck.

This noob is now officially hooked. I even started looking at real MTG cards/sets this morning!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2009, 02:19:05 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on June 20, 2009, 02:13:33 PM

Cool, I feel better then, after losing to Garruk Wildspeaker about 6 straight times. I did finally manage to beat him with a white deck.

This noob is now officially hooked. I even started looking at real MTG cards/sets this morning!

I did the exact same thing.  Seriously, six times with the red deck.  Switched to the white deck, boom!

What's great about this game, is the I don't mind that it took me seven attempts.  I kept coming back for more!

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2009, 02:30:01 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on June 20, 2009, 02:13:33 PM

don't do it, your wallet will thank you
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2009, 02:51:15 PM »

Default difficulty is medium ( which is what I've been using for the moment ).  I've been enjoying the challenges and campaign.  For fun I'm just keeping the cards it adds, though I probably would tweak it a bit if I played others online.  I'm also going slowly ( afraid to finish it up too fast  paranoid ) so every time I get a new deck, I replay the previous foes.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2009, 09:18:28 PM »

This game is freakin' fun!

I'm playing Jace (blue deck) for the first time. Can't wait to unlock that deck.

Couple of questions:

1) what does it mean when a card has what looks like a galaxy looking swirly thing over it? It's not tapped, but the card looks like it's somewhat faded and has that spiral-arm swirly over it.

2) what do the numbers in the bottom right mean, below my portrait? Right now they say, 6/51

3) with the green deck, what would be a good example of the right time to play an Overrun card?
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2009, 09:24:50 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on June 20, 2009, 09:18:28 PM

This game is freakin' fun!

I'm playing Jace (blue deck) for the first time. Can't wait to unlock that deck.

Couple of questions:

1) what does it mean when a card has what looks like a galaxy looking swirly thing over it? It's not tapped, but the card looks like it's somewhat faded and has that spiral-arm swirly over it.

2) what do the numbers in the bottom right mean, below my portrait? Right now they say, 6/51

3) with the green deck, what would be a good example of the right time to play an Overrun card?

1 - That is a creature with Summoning Sickness.  A creature with Summoning Sickness can't attack or use tapping abilities on the turn they are played.  A creature with Haste does not have Summoning Sickness.

2 - That would be the cards in hand / cards in deck

3 - When it will give you the win slywink

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2009, 09:33:56 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on June 20, 2009, 09:24:50 PM

1 - That is a creature with Summoning Sickness.  A creature with Summoning Sickness can't attack or use tapping abilities on the turn they are played.  A creature with Haste does not have Summoning Sickness.

2 - That would be the cards in hand / cards in deck

3 - When it will give you the win slywink

Thanks.

So I should only play overrun as a finisher?

Just got spanked by Jace 20 to -4   icon_redface

edit: I posted a question about the real MTG game/card here
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:08:10 PM by Jeff » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: