http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:06:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i want my game music!...  (Read 1105 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2004, 03:58:15 PM »

attn: all video game companies:

if you're going to create special 'reserve' or 'deluxe' versions of games &/or manuals, please, enough of the posters, artwork, stickers, tin boxes, t-virus bottles, pewter statuettes, 'making of' dvds, etc...

give me what i really want - soundtracks...

i'm not sure why the game industry has been so slow coming to the realization that gamers do indeed enjoy game music (the film industry's been aware of this for a looong time). if the problem is they'd rather you pay for the ost, fine - but include a partial soundtrack, then...

atlus is one of the few companies i'm aware of that's figured this out - 'phantom brave' & 'shin megami tensei: nocturne' were both packaged with cds (& good cds they are!). i would've far prefered, rather than the nice artwork book, that the special 'metal gear solid 3: snake eater' guide'd included even a partial ost...

but maybe this's just me - so, i ask you:

if you were thinking of preordering, say, 'resident evil 4', would you go for the ebgames version with the 'making of' dvd, or the gamestop version with the ost?...

(listening to the 'final fantasy anthology' cd as i type smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 06:08:52 PM »

i would go with the ost.  i actually have bought the CE's of various games over the years because they included an ost in them.  i have all of them in a cd holder in my car and listen to them every so often.  there's some very good tunes that i keep the cd around just to listen to.  the first track on the ultima 9 cd and one of the songs off the red faction cd.  

i'm finding that more and more games make it easy to get some of the music off the game, even though it's not as easy as in the snes/genesis days of bgm test.  and even when the game has nothing like this, there are ways to record within games and get the music.  did this for freedom fighters as i love the music from that game.  

on top of that, i have bought ost imports over the years, mainly a few ff7 and the mgs ost.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 07:12:55 PM »

Actually quite a few game companies are releasing their game soundtracks free to the web.  Chronicles of Riddick did it recently, and today SCEE released the soundtrack to Killzone

You can find the Killzone soundtrack here.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 12:56:47 PM »

I have a pretty large collection of game OSTs (somewhere around 150).  Since I'm mainly an RPG'er, I get most of mine as imports from Japan (E-bay is your friend).  I've found that it's much, much harder to track down soundtracks from western games.  

If a "special edition" that includes a soundtrack is released for a game, I will always pick it up.  It's never a bad thing to add more OSTs to the mix.  smile

Listening to "Beyond Good and Evil OST" as I type.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 02:59:15 PM »

Welcome semiconscious!  I'm with you - I want soundtracks.  Some of the games through the years have had some great soundtracks and I would have enjoyed having them at my fingertips rather than some shiny metal box to toss in the box of boxes. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 03:15:36 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Welcome semiconscious!  I'm with you - I want soundtracks.  Some of the games through the years have had some great soundtracks and I would have enjoyed having them at my fingertips rather than some shiny metal box to toss in the box of boxes. smile

Speaking of boxes, I'd prefer a lifesized Kasumi Pillow. err... Pillows. Heh. slywink

I do enjoy some music from games, but for the most part I think I'd want only the "good" tracks (IE no filler music).

I hope they release another Super Mario with a soundtrack... do-doodoo do0doo. do-doo-doot dootdooot. (SMB 1-2)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 03:33:08 PM »

The problem with a collector's edition that contains an OST is that you're basically buying the soundtrack before you know whether you'll like the soundtrack.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 03:39:09 PM »

Karubu's Shoe!  

I've always purchased the Blizzard Soundtracks and DVD's of their cutscenes sight-unseen just because I trust them based on their previous products.  The only time that burned me was with the Starcraft "Soundtrack" which was actually some Korean-made DJ mix crap of soundbites from the game mixed in with crummy techno.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 12:17:42 AM »

semiconscious, this thread REALLY hit a nerve with me. I could not agree more!  It's amazing how much crap they'll put in the deluxe version of the game and NOT put in the soundtrack.  If the deluxe version included the soundtrack, I'd *always* get it.  I LOVE game soundtracks.

It's amazing how hard/impossible it is to get them.  I would LOVE to have the soundtrack to Splinter Cell and there is no way or amount of money to get it.  Isn't that stupid?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: